Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Improv

• Start Topic

That's funny but probably not even close to reality.  He's an upper level executive and has held that position for a long time.  From everything I've ever read about him, I gather that he's highly intelligent, very nice and has a sense of humor.  His non-threatening demeanor probably serves him very well.

Really smart, good sense of humor and very nice are accurate from my experience.

• Love 1
(edited)

Based on this episode, Eddie is a lock. He got his (sad) pizza featured at Cici's and he had good banter with David Alan Grier.  I had a similar feeling when Jeff Mauro killed it on Rachel Ray.

Eddie, being a ex-NFL player, has been well trained in how to talk to camera without making the team/coach look bad.

As for Emilia, she tried out the "edgy" POV in one the early episodes and dropped it. It should have stayed gone. The phrase "watching the Food Network" should have been a softball. She could have talked about any number of shows and tips she learned from them. I've learned a lot from FN myself, despite hating cooking.

I agree with all of what you said.

I hope that Eddie wins. I wasn't that sold on his pizza, but the man knows how to work a crowd. His other dishes have intrigued me too.

I, too, was starting to like Emilia, but her presentation made me cringe. At the same time, I wondered where that all came from because if that's really her, she kept it well-hidden, until she couldn't any longer. That said I'm not unhappy she's gone. I almost thought Alex was a goner based off his swearing throughout the presentation.

Dom still bugs me and I'm not sure he's going to improve on the presentation front. He cooks extremely well. I get that, but he needs to know how to speak to groups. I didn't think that Dom was saying that Emilia was a goner; I'm pretty sure he was referring to himself, since he's been in the bottom repeatedly.

I like Arnold, but he's sort of forgettable to me. At least, when it comes to what he cooks. I can see him with his own show, but maybe not one about food? 

I don't mind Jay. He's extremely comfortable in front of the camera and engaging (like Eddie). He doesn't remind me of Lenny (ugh). However, I'm kind of bored, as phoenix780 mentioned, with the emphasis on Southern cooking being the end all-be all of American cuisine.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

I can relate to Dom.  I enjoy public speaking and, with enough prep time, can be a crowd-pleaser.  But if I unexpectedly have to be quick on my feet, disaster. 

Except Dom can't do it even with prep time. He had to know that speaking was part of the deal when he applied to be on the show, he's had plenty of time to practice, he just can't do it.

I think Dom would be gone if Kermit and Medusa weren't part of the judging.  

I think Dom would be gone if Giada weren't part of the judging. (fixed that for you)

• Love 5

I didn't care much for the team challenge two years ago, but the one thing I did like about it was that the contestants were mentored quite a bit.  Is Dom getting any help with camera fright like they used to give?  I think that a mentor could snap him out of whatever is bothering him after a few sessions.  Where is Alton this year?  I thought he was the most effective at mentoring.  Dom needs Alton!

• Love 4
(edited)

I didn't care much for the team challenge two years ago, but the one thing I did like about it was that the contestants were mentored quite a bit.  Is Dom getting any help with camera fright like they used to give?  I think that a mentor could snap him out of whatever is bothering him after a few sessions.  Where is Alton this year?  I thought he was the most effective at mentoring.  Dom needs Alton!

I'm not sure it would matter for Dom. His "What now?" reaction when the judges were about to praise his pizza tells me he is so defensive, he's not going to take constructive criticism well.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

I think Dom would be gone if Kermit and Medusa weren't part of the judging.

Shouldn't that be "Dom would be gone if Kermit and Medusa were part of the judging?  They wouldn't stand for someone who just walks off stage instead of stretching to meet the time limit.

If Eddie wins it will help FN check off another type of show for their programming schedule.  They have Ree Drummond who brings in her blogging-sphere group, Tricia Yearwood who pulls in the country singer/celebrity group, and now they might get Eddie who brings in the NFL/sport group.  I bet you dollars to donuts that if Eddie wins they make his show encompass the tailgating side of sports since that's what you most likely equate with football.  I know it's Jay's idea, but we have all seen how they steal from the other contestants and churn out shows based off those ideas.

Eddie is really good at that. He did it also during his second presentation. He's really good at playing up exactly what the judges want to here.

I refuse to believe he even knows where a CiCi's Pizza is, let alone eat there.

I like CiCi's.  :)  When you have a teenager, it is a good value for the money.  And the pizza is good.

• Love 3

Dom is a tool and I do think from here on out he will think he is teflon b/c he can always be in the bottom yet never sent home b/c of his eye-talian charms and the fact that Giada wants some of his sausage.    

So much this!!! I get the feeling she's content to sleep with Alex as well.  Yeesh.  I can't stand her...even more than usual.  LBH is getting on my last nerve with her love of Dom.  Uncomfortable!  

I really want to see Suzy Wong and Eddie to do a show about cooking and stuff....

(edited)

I think Dom would be gone if Kermit and Medusa weren't part of the judging. There was no way the people in charge would let someone who disses others stay over a guy who is camera shy.

On the other hand, perhaps the network has had so much bad luck with the "winner gets their own half hour cooking show" concept (2 of the last 3 didn't have shows broadcast, right?) that maybe they are now aiming at having the winner do a much shorter show - like only 1-2 minutes long - to fit in commercial breaks of their reruns. Dom could be perfect for that.

Of the last 3 winners, Justin Warner (S8), Damaris Phillips (S9) & last season's Lenny McNab (McNabb?), only Damaris still has a regular on-air presence on the network (I think eps of her show are also running on Cooking Channel now).

They're still running her show, Southern at Heart, at least once a week & I think they're new episodes right now. I saw 1 recently; in her voice over during the opening titles, she originally described herself as a "culinary instructor (which she was when she was on FNS), but on the most recent ep I saw, she described herself as a "chef" instead.

Justin--who won the season before Damaris--got a one-off, hourlong special based on his concept, & that was basically it for on air work except for appearances as a judge on other FN shows that use judges. According to the S8 part of the FNS Wikipedia page, he's apparently doing some sort of blog for FN & he also makes appearances on behalf of the network. He also did a commercial for a Miracle-Gro lawn/garden product shortly after his win where they somehow managed to tie in his connection to FN/his FNS win.

Lenny, who won last year, got bupkis. His concept was "gourmet cowboy" or "cowboy gourmet" (I forget the correct order of the words--I think it was the latter.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

Justin--who won the season before Damaris--got a one-off, hourlong special based on his concept, & that was basically it for on air work except for appearances as a judge on other FN shows that use judges. According to the S8 part of the FNS Wikipedia page, he's apparently doing some sort of blog for FN & he also makes appearances on behalf of the network. He also did a commercial for a Miracle-Gro lawn/garden product shortly after his win where they somehow managed to tie in his connection to FN/his FNS win.

He's also appeared as a contestant on shows like Guy's Grocery Games.

• Love 1

I think at elimination, Dom knew it was either he or Emelia.  It came off as if he knew she was getting the boot.  I think he just knew the other guy wasn't leaving the competition.  

Did Emelia have too much booze while she was cooking? Just saying she's an alpha and taking a risk doesn't excuse anything.  It was really bad.  I was about ready to fast forward because it was just making me wince.  It was almost like the wine she and Michelle were drinking, gave her a little too much courage.  

I thought Arnold did well with his presentation.  Eddie pretty much knocked it out of the park.  Or a touchdown - I guess. 

• Love 3

Am I the only one who winces every time they run the commercial where Flay says that this is the "best group ever"?  Right now, the only ones I can stand are Eddie, Jay and Arnold and apparently Arnold can't cook anything.  Also I'm glad Emilia is gone.  She was always the typical mean girl to me.

• Love 5

Am I the only one who winces every time they run the commercial where Flay says that this is the "best group ever"?  Right now, the only ones I can stand are Eddie, Jay and Arnold and apparently Arnold can't cook anything.  Also I'm glad Emilia is gone.  She was always the typical mean girl to me.

No, I want to shake him, or ask him why he's going on TV drunk and saying stupid shit.

• Love 6

No, I want to shake him, or ask him why he's going on TV drunk and saying stupid shit.

Aren't we all being a little hard on Bobby? Is being the best group in the history of this show really such a high bar to clear?

• Love 5

I like CiCi's.  :)  When you have a teenager, it is a good value for the money.  And the pizza is good.

That's why I didn't think it was too gimmicky for Eddie to mention going there after playing football.  It seems like the perfect place to take a youth sports team!

• Love 1

Aren't we all being a little hard on Bobby? Is being the best group in the history of this show really such a high bar to clear?

I remember back when it WAS a competition with people who could all actually cook. And cook well, consistently. It was hard to pick a favorite because so many people were enjoyable to watch. This bunch...not so much, for me personally. I had high hopes based on his statement before the first episode. But, as he lied to Dom, he also lied to me.

• Love 5

I do not recall the show being so gimmicky back in the beginning as it is now.  They never give these people a chance to showcase themselves.  They either give them some ingredient twist, time limitation or something.  Why not actually let them cook their best dish in the amount of time it normally takes and then have them present it?   Or demo a portion of it without some stupid set up?  Who knows whether these people are good cooks or not?

But for Bobby to say this is the best group is just not true.

• Love 5
(edited)

In keeping with Bobby's laughable statement, I can remember years when there were almost too many outstanding people.  This year's group has really been one of mediocre cooks, most of whom would never have made it to the end on one of the old shows.  In this season, I think the judges are thinking "Thank God for  Eddie!" because he seems to be the only standout.  As it is now, the judges may find it a difficult task deciding who should battle Eddie for the win.  Either their food or their presentations are so under par.  These current personalities are nice, and I enjoy most of them, but they don't have the skills that earlier groups did.

At the same time, I would say that the challenges have been much more difficult this year than in past years.  Having to switch grocery bags at a big event or making them think fast like this recent show have really caused mayhem.  Some devil in the planning group had a "Let's screw the contestants' attitude and devised challenges that most groups would have a very hard time with, IMHO.  The whole idea SHOULD BE to get them to cook well and to present well, not to watch them grapple with challenges that unnerve them before they even have the basics down.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 4

That's why I didn't think it was too gimmicky for Eddie to mention going there after playing football.  It seems like the perfect place to take a youth sports team!

My 12-year-old is a big fan of Cici's, but mostly eats the pasta.  I'm the only one in my household that likes veggie pizza, so I can eat the zesty veggie pizza without having to order a second pizza for the rest of the family.  There are so many different pizzas on the buffet, that Eddie was pretty smart to go with the dessert pizza since there are only a handful of options.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I think at elimination, Dom knew it was either he or Emelia.  It came off as if he knew she was getting the boot.  I think he just knew the other guy wasn't leaving the competition.  

Did Emelia have too much booze while she was cooking? Just saying she's an alpha and taking a risk doesn't excuse anything.  It was really bad.  I was about ready to fast forward because it was just making me wince.  It was almost like the wine she and Michelle were drinking, gave her a little too much courage.  

I thought Arnold did well with his presentation.  Eddie pretty much knocked it out of the park.  Or a touchdown - I guess.

I'm too lazy and uninspired to look for in OnDemand, but I could have SWORN that Dom leaned back behind Alex and said "Adios" or "Au revoir" or whatever he said directly to Emilia.  There was something about it that I just remember as being the equivalent of "You're toast, bitch!"  Which considering his less-than-stellar appearances seemed a little presumptuous of him, to say the least.  I completely allow that I might have been blinded by my newly developed Dom-hate.

They showed both Emilia and Michelle taking a swig of wine.  Overall, though, Emilia didn't seem wasted. 

And allow me to add how much I hated Michelle's "I'm the last girl among all you boys!"  HAAATE!  It's not an arm-wrestling competition, a-hole.  The "boys" don't have an inherent advantage.  Ever check out the FN lineup during "cooking hours"?  Most of the shows are hosted by "girls."

Just as long as they don't do an infomercial video that involves candy bars.....

That was supposed to be a "viral video." Given that performance and everything that followed, methinks it was more "viral" than anything else and not in a good way.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 1

In keeping with Bobby's laughable statement, I can remember years when there were almost too many outstanding people.

Maybe they should steal a page from TC and bring back eliminated contestants from previous seasons.

• Love 2

I thought Dom's "au revoire" was on his own behalf, not a dig at anyone.  I think it should have been a double elimination though.  Hell, I think they should introduce eliminations on the spot.  That would amp up the drama, if every move could be your last (Gong-Show-style).

It's interesting that the Food Network can't play this show as a serious cooking show competition without reality show twists, because it's kind of...self-undermining is the only phrase I can think of.  You want to award a prize of what's usually a cook-to-camera show to the winner, but your audience won't watch you pick that winner unless it's mad drama with celebrity guests and never using your own ingredients?  Why would you...you're kind of admitting that the cook-to-camera show ain't all that popular, imho.  

And you're setting up disappointment.  Maybe I don't want to watch Dom cook.  Maybe I get sick pleasure watching him panic then walk off, as I imagine him as a guest on one of their other competitions totally unable to fill time (kind of an important skill on this network, imho).  What then?  Where's my payoff when he wins?  And what of those who prefer cook-to-camera?  They won't even know this dude (or whoever wins).

It's kind of bizarre to me.

• Love 1

I agree with whoever said Emilia associated Improv with roasting. Of course, roasting unknown people won't make the audience laugh. Eddie did a good job but I really wanted to try the two samosa pizzas. Dom continues to act in such a strange manner-I can't believe he literally runs away with minutes left for his time.

It would be nice to see Bobby and LBH actually trying to work with the contestants rather than just surprised the contestants with last minute things. And I hate to see all the woman out, but I don't like Michelle so I think it will be Jay, Eddie and maybe Dom for the final. 

• Love 1

Dom seems like he would be ok in a stand and stir format because it could be edited to be smooth. And he could appear at the thing in Florida and be on stage with a group of other hosts so he isn't responsible for carrying the stage (plus they can keep him from running off stage lol.)

Eddie seems to have the winners edit. I almost went into cicis today but really wanted Moes instead. I was curious to see how his dessert pizza translated.

Eddie almost seems like a ringer compared to the rest of this field.  It's really sort of embarrassing.  One of them curses on camera.  Another whips out racist and homophobic caricatures to mock her fellow competitors.  And then there's the one who can barely fill one minute of a four minute spot.

I've always joked that Suze looks like she's got an open, half-empty bottle of Grey Goose just off-camera.  If that wasn't true, I think this cast would make it true.  

• Love 6

She was supposed to talk about the Food Network.  Not attack her co-contestants.

... who, I might add, are just barely even on the Food Network at this point. They've been on for a few episodes of a FN contest, but not their own shows, specialty spots, etc.

That was supposed to be a "viral video." Given that performance and everything that followed, methinks it was more "viral" than anything else and not in a good way.

Please don't make me make mental connections between any form of virus and Lenny.

• Love 2

Can we ban Harissa paste from a jar? Either make it from scratch or you can't use it. Enough already!

Jay's satsuma pizza is even grosser upon repeat viewing lol.

2 samosa pizzas? Odd.

And this exchange that was kinda of disrespectful....

Giada "What's up Dom?"

Dom "Whaddup girl?"

Giada girly blush

• Love 6

... who, I might add, are just barely even on the Food Network at this point. They've been on for a few episodes of a FN contest, but not their own shows, specialty spots, etc.

And the live audience had never seen them at all or knew anything about them before that day.

• Love 2

I thought Dom's "au revoire" was on his own behalf, not a dig at anyone.  I think it should have been a double elimination though.  Hell, I think they should introduce eliminations on the spot.  That would amp up the drama, if every move could be your last (Gong-Show-style).

Now that could be fun!  I think the problem they'd run into is the show would only last about 3 episodes based on what we've seen so far. I thought the last episode they could have easily eliminated the bottom 3 and I wouldn't have cared.

• Love 1

Eddie almost seems like a ringer compared to the rest of this field.  It's really sort of embarrassing.  One of them curses on camera.  Another whips out racist and homophobic caricatures to mock her fellow competitors.  And then there's the one who can barely fill one minute of a four minute spot.

Not that I don't agree with you but I wonder how many stupid things Eddie might have done that were conveniently edited out because he's getting the winner's edit.  And responding to what others have said about there being so many good contestants in previous years while in this one so many are laughable - I wonder if that's not evidence of their having chosen the winner in advance and they chose the other clunkers on purpose.  If the public isn't voting this year there's no reason they couldn't have done this and after the Lenny fiasco last year I would believe they'd do it.  Also, to the suggestion above about having an "All Stars" season, I have been suggesting that myself for a couple of years now.  I often wonder why some people never got a chance especially when they came away as fan favorites.  It's not like some of the runner ups haven't gotten shows in the past.  There have been a few and some pretty successfully too, like Chelsea Nixon.

I finally got to watch the end of the episode last night once it was listed in On Demand.  I did not in any way get a mean vibe from Emilia.  It was appeared to me that she was trying to be funny and the audience just did not get it, probably because they have not been watching these people for weeks like we have.  I mean, Arnold is a drag queen who has undercooked food, Dom does practically run off the stage, and folks have likened Jay to a used car salesman.  I do not even remember what, if anything, was said about the rest of the cast of clowns.  It is a shame they got rid of the only viable female contestant left.

I see two people left who have any business being in the finale and that is Jay and Eddie.  Michelle, Dom and potty mouthed Alex just do not compare at this point.

Emilia was painful in that Michael Scott sort of way. The difference was on The Office I knew those weren't real people. I'd read her blog a few weeks back and I don't think that was scripted so much as produced. She's a bit of a mean girl in print and I can imagine it's worse when you see it. I can believe a producer told her she needed to break free from the teacher mode and be more like her blog since that was part of why the show loved her in the first place. Add the alcohol and you get that mess. It was catty and so out of touch with the audience.

I really dislike Alex and after his presentation was so sure he'd be gone but I should not have underestimated this group and their ability to be the worst. Dom was a disaster again. Eddie was great, Jay was good and the rest were boring to awful.

• Love 2

Hilarious using the guy from cici's as any kind of judge of pizza.  Their pizza is the worst. You couldn't pay me to ever eat there again.  Little Caesar's is better.  Hell, that disgusting hot dog pizza from pizza hut is probably better.

• Love 3

I finally got to watch the end of the episode last night once it was listed in On Demand.  I did not in any way get a mean vibe from Emilia.  It was appeared to me that she was trying to be funny and the audience just did not get it, probably because they have not been watching these people for weeks like we have.  I mean, Arnold is a drag queen who has undercooked food, Dom does practically run off the stage, and folks have likened Jay to a used car salesman.  I do not even remember what, if anything, was said about the rest of the cast of clowns.  It is a shame they got rid of the only viable female contestant left.

I agree that Emilia was trying to be funny, and didn't intend to be mean.  However, I think her delivery was horrible, and she came across as bitchy.  Since the audience didn't know the rest of the people, there was no way they would understand her jokes.  Plus, IMO, her jokes weren't very good -  I have been watching the show, I know the people she talked about, I got her references, but I didn't think her jokes were funny either.  To make matters worse, she did a terrible job of reading the audience - she didn't seem to notice that no one was laughing. 

I think Emilia's biggest problem is that she doesn't have much self-awareness.  They tell her to be more cheerful and less school teacher, but, she doesn't seem to see that, and, until this episode, she seemed to do nothing to change it.  She couldn't see that no one was enjoying her comedy act.  She thinks she is an alpha.  Perhaps she is as camera-shy as Dom, but it surface in a different way.   

• Love 4

To me, Emilia seems like a control freak.  An improv challenge was guaranteed to cause her to shit the bed.  And I think that's exactly what happened.

I don't think she made any conscious, deliberate, decision to take a "risk" and go edgy.  I think she froze, couldn't think of anything else to say, and reverted to her natural mean-girl personality.  Calling it a "deliberate risk" was merely post-hoc rationalizing.

She is the one who called herself an "alpha female".  Calling yourself that is akin to saying "work hard, play hard", "I'm just keeping it real", and every other euphemism for being an asshole.

• Love 8

I didn't get Aemilia's bit at all. The audience didn't know her fellow contestants, so it wasn't like she was giving them behind the scenes dirt. She was just talking smack about people they didn't know.

THIS. Well, I mean "this" among a million other things in this show (which, IMHO, was the best episode so far on what has been , for me and Mr. Snap (aka Brewster Rockit) the best FNS season yet (of those we've watched). 

My first thought that something was gonna give with Emilia (who I have NOT liked at all anyway) was when she started quaffing the ingredients for her dish and talked about "liquid courage." I had a sneaking suspicion we were gonna get Drunken Emilia but didn't know where that would go (and besides, Drunken Damaris was always so cute but that spot is taken). 

When she started bashing people, I realized, first of all, she's not funny. Period. But in addition, these people in the audience have no idea who she's talking about anyway. It was, for me, a very "Springtime for Hitler" moment. Watching the train crash unfold with my mouth hanging open and a "no she didn't!" ... I don't think they ever specifically implied, necessarily, that she was drunk (or tipsy) but I inferred it as an excuse for her ridiculous behavior (and her continuing to defend what she did). 

-- I've been Team Eddie since before the show even aired ... when I looked at the list of contestants I immediately remembered him from Masterchef (I believe he left in the Top 8 episode but don't remember what the circumstances were). I'd liked him then ... great personality, charisma, etc. In this show, I'm just ... fangirly. He's the only one I'd watch, he's different from anyone they have on there, and he's proven time and again that he can think fast on his feet and has a great personality on camera (and is not hard on the eyes). He's also a damned good cook, it appears, his stumble here and there notwithstanding.

That said, I fear that his comfortable frontrunner status fro the get-go could be a fakeout ... OTOH, I think Lenny was a frontrunner from the beginning, yes? And I have no fear that Eddie would turn out to be a Lenny. Like someone else said, I think WYSIWYG with Eddie. Which is a good thing.

-- I am stunned that we have not yet seen Arnold break out Suzy Wong for the show. Is he not allowed to? He's made no secret of her existence or the concept of the home entertaining, etc. I'd think now as it's getting down to the wire, a Suzy Wong moment might really buy him new life ... plus, of all the POVs, his -- home entertaining with appetizers by Arnold and cocktails by Suzy Wong -- is very unique and would be a hoot to watch. 

-- Dom. Domdomdomdomdom. Had long debate with both daughter (who lives on other coast and called me on her drive to work the next morning just to talk about Emilia as we both said "Oh ... My ... God.") and husband here. First of all, I'll give Bobby Flay a pasadena on this only because I think they had to boot Emilia after her performance and that saved either Dom or Alex's ass (or should I say his %$# so Tuschie doesn't get upset). 

Why did he apply for this show and go through the whole song and dance if he didn't want to be on a TV show? Something there doesn't sit right. And we so often see him being indeed engaging, charming, etc. that we know it's there. My gut feeling is that he may indeed have some stage fright but the judges see that SOMETHING is there (was it Giada who said something about needing that switch to be flipped) and that with some one-on-one intensive training, this is a problem that could be solved versus, say, someone who is a loose cannon or can't cook or is just flat out boring. It's there. Somewhere. Maybe his show would always have a guest in studio with him or a partner who would engage him in conversation.

My gut says the next two to go, in no particular order, will be Michelle and Alex (probably Alex first), Arnold will break out the emergency Suzy Wong, Rue will come back from Salvation Station or whatever it's called (I don't watch it) to give them a female in the F4 and we'll see an F3 of some combination of Eddie, Jay, Dom, Arnold and Rue.

Jay doesn't bug me but he doesn't do anything for me and I can't see what the POV would be unless it included his going out and hunting down all his meals, and, no thank you.

At which episode do they finally sit down with each finalist and zero in on what their final POV would be and what the idea of the show would be? That will be fun. I do think Eddie needs his a little more focused -- he's had to regroup after Cheat Day didn't work and Caribbean flavors by themselves will not be enough for a show. 

• Love 1

Why did he apply for this show and go through the whole song and dance if he didn't want to be on a TV show? Something there doesn't sit right. And we so often see him being indeed engaging, charming, etc. that we know it's there. My gut feeling is that he may indeed have some stage fright but the judges see that SOMETHING is there (was it Giada who said something about needing that switch to be flipped)

Bobby is the switch-flipper. :)

It's one thing to sit in your living room (or wherever) and have a friend video you talking about food. It's another to be in a huge studio environment with several cameras, lights, a producer, and Bobby/Giada telling you "you're going to do a minute commercial about the food you've just cooked. GO!!!

I don't think Dom had a clue about the pressure of being on "live" TV. He's just not cut out for it. The web is a better place for him. Doing food blogs like Nicole Gaffney or other past contestants have been doing.

As for Suzy Wong, that takes hours of prep for makeup, hair and wardrobe. I am not sure Arnold has the time to pull her out on the fly. If he knows ahead of time what the task is, maybe.

• Love 3
At which episode do they finally sit down with each finalist and zero in on what their final POV would be and what the idea of the show would be? That will be fun. I do think Eddie needs his a little more focused -- he's had to regroup after Cheat Day didn't work and Caribbean flavors by themselves will not be enough for a show.

Usually they do that from Day One.  They've toned down the harping on "culinary POV" as they've eased Tusch and Suze out of the picture, though.

FWIW, IMO the "culinary POV" talk has always been a mind-fuck:

1.  Tell people they need to have a distinctive "POV" so they stand out and are recognizable and relate-able;

2.  When they do that, criticize them for being "one trick ponies", "boring", and needing to "break out of the box";

3.  When the do THAT, complain that "geez, it's like we don't even know who you ARE anymore.!"

4.  Rinse, Repeat.

• Love 9

Cooks ...

Good points all, and thanks for clarifying who the switch-flipper was. (PS -- was having debate with husband last night -- he said the "epic fail" comment was about Emilia but I thought it was about Alex ... you are the expert ... do you recall?)

Do you think there is a chance that Arnold would/could just do an episode as Suzy Wong, period, and take his chances with whatever the on-air challenge is? I really think that's the only thing that could save him at this point, and since it was his POV and yet no one has ever seen that side of him, it makes him seem like he's flailing, for lack of a better word.

Also, just one more comment on Dom ... despite how I lost some of my like during his interactions with Michelle, I've gotten the feeling that his anger, etc., on air has been more anger at and frustration with and disappointment in himself than at his competitors. I think he knows he's his own biggest enemy out there. If nothing else, he knows his faults and shortcomings very well, which can't always be said of other competitors.

The POV went away when Alton left, along with the mentor/team aspect. Bobby and Giada do nothing to help these people, that I can see.

PamelaMaeSnap, if Arnold is smart, he'll do Suzy soon. I think he's more comfortable in that personna and I think ratings would go through the roof.

• Love 2

I'm still willing to buy that Dom's stage/camera fright is legitimate.  I also thought it was ironic that Dom was complaining about not being able to talk into a camera, while he was talking into a camera.  But upon reflection, the Confessionals are most likely filmed after the season concludes.  At that point, having won or lost, the pressure would be much less.  Also, as noted above, it's probably easier to talk into a solitary camera when there's no competitive pressure.  And we don't know that we're not seeing Take 72 of each Confessional.

But, this brings up the old "how do you go on Amazing Race not knowing how to drive stick-shift?" question.  If you're even contemplating doing this show, how do you not practice your butt off in front of other people, and developing a good internal clock (under pressure) for how long 30, 60, 120 etc. seconds are?

• Love 2
(edited)

But, this brings up the old "how do you go on Amazing Race not knowing how to drive stick-shift?" question. If you're even contemplating doing this show, how do you not practice your butt off in front of other people, and developing a good internal clock (under pressure) for how long 30, 60, 120 etc. seconds are?

Timing is another thing that some people have a hard time with if they haven't done on-camera work before. You tell someone they have a minute for this piece and they say, "What? I only have 1 minute? That's not enough time!" You start rolling and they say everything they have to say in 30 seconds and you give them the 30 second cue and they start stammering and "umming" and "ahhing" trying to get to the end. Then they say, "Wow! A minute sure seems longer than I thought!"

Edited by Accidental Martyr
  • Love 1

That's interesting because I thought she was trying to be funny but it just came off as mean spirited instead.  And we have been watching these people for weeks and get her references, but it would be hard for me to believe that most people in the TV audience would find what she said funny.  Her delivery was as bad as what she was saying, IMO.

• Love 2

I'm late to the game on this, so I'm still going through the comments, but here is my overall thought on the show: I was only half-watching it--and I'm glad.  Just hearing Emilia channel Donald Trump was painful....

• Love 1

The two best are Jay and Eddie, period. Both appear to be capable of putting on a show. For those of you who remember Justin Wilson, is there a simliar show on any of the cooking networks?  Jay could do a simliar show.

Eddie could take his food truck around to sporting venues, sorta like Guy Fieri in his red Camaro. Eddie could check out the tailgate and sports bar scenes in these cities on game day....

• Love 8

For those of you who remember Justin Wilson

Jay's going to have to work on "I gaaaaaaaruuuuunteeeee it!"

Eddie could take his food truck around to sporting venues, sorta like Guy Fieri in his red Camaro. Eddie could check out the tailgate and sports bar scenes in these cities on game day

EXCELLENT IDEA!!