Type keyword(s) to search

Trainwreck (2015)

BoogieBurns
  • Start Topic

Since she was a little girl, it’s been drilled into Amy’s (Schumer) head by her rascal of a dad (Colin Quinn) that monogamy isn’t realistic. Now a magazine writer, Amy lives by that credo—enjoying what she feels is an uninhibited life free from stifling, boring romantic commitment—but in actuality, she’s kind of in a rut. When she finds herself starting to fall for the subject of the new article she’s writing, a charming and successful sports doctor named Aaron Conners (Bill Hader), Amy starts to wonder if other grown-ups, including this guy who really seems to like her, might be on to something.

Saw it tonight. It is so damn good. A lot of laugh out loud moments. Everyone in it is good, even the athletes. There were a lot of gasps when LeBron James first came on the screen, which I thought was funny, because he seemed like one of the selling points for the movie, but people were reacting like they were so surprised to see him there.

The emotional moments are really honest and well done, too. The whole thing was pretty note perfect, which I couldn't say about all of Judd Apatow's films lately. He should definitely work with Amy Schumer again.

• Love 3

The one-on-one with LeBron and Bill Hader was hilarious!  Overall, I liked it, though as shipmate said, it was a bit slow at times and could have used a slightly heavier editing hand here and there.

I enjoyed it. I saw it midday on Saturday to an almost empty theater, which was a little bit of a bummer but it was 1:30 in the afternoon. It wasn't what I really expected, though. Like Bridesmaids I was expecting something more... just straight up funny the whole way through without some big heavy drama and very special message. As I was walking out I overheard two women talking. They didn't especially like it, especially the end where "all she has to do is become a cheerleader to get the guy, great message."

The mini-movie with Dan Radcliffe made me laugh, especially since photos from him wearing all those dogs had surfaced awhile ago. I was kind of surprised to see actors of the caliber of Dan Radcliffe and Tilda Swinton in the film.  I know she's currently Hollywood's "it" girl right now, but she's still a never before leading lady with BIll Hader as the love interest.

• Love 1

I thought Amy and Bill had great chemistry and were both very charming, but my gripe, as with all Judd Apatow movies, is that the film came to a screeching halt about half way through and then just kept going and going. His comedies always push past the two hour mark, which is pretty long for the genre, and I always feel like his middle act could benefit another few passes through the editing process. Still, there are plenty of laugh out loud moments, and painfully true to life dramatic moments (especially when Amy assumed they were breaking up and Aaron was like "No, we're having a fight, that's what people do.")

• Love 5

Gawd, yes, it was TOO long. Funny, I saw it with my husband and he didn't think so, Judd Apatow has GOT to learn to rein it in, he could have cut 20 minutes and it would have been fine, especially the WTF scene with Matthew Broderick and Marv Alpert. It's like someone had the idea to shoot a scene with them and then kept it in even thought it didn't work whatsoever. I found this cute but the length really bothers me. It has the same bones as Bridesmaids, which now I think is totally overrated. A woman messes up her life, alienates her friends and family and then tries to redeem herself. I wonder if Amy had a blueprint of that film prior to writing this. I didn't know there would be so much drama in it. I think she should have chosen one or the other and not both. I did LOVE Bill Hader, but he's amazing and I love him in everything, even the Mr Peanut commercials. All the supporting cast was great, including Tilda Swinton and LeBron James.

• Love 1

Bill Hader was a revelation. I don't watch Saturday Night Live and really didn't know much about him, but I loved him. Too bad this was my first and last Judd Apatow movie so probably won't see him again. I thought it was fine, but I am clearly not their target demographic and Bill won't be enough of an incentive to make me watch another one.

They didn't especially like it, especially the end where "all she has to do is become a cheerleader to get the guy, great message."

Normally, I would agree with them, but I thought the movie made it clear enough that Aaron liked the cheerleaders for their athleticism and, well, cheerfulness, and didn't consider them the bimbos that Amy thought they were.  I liked his point that they did more good for the world than the cynical magazine staff did. 

Add me to the chorus, of "Too Long."  The intervention scene was completely unnecessary, and many scenes seemed to run on too long, like the one where she's trying to get her muscle-bound boyfriend to talk dirty during sex.  But I did like that they didn't make him a complete meathead. 

• Love 1
Normally, I would agree with them, but I thought the movie made it clear enough that Aaron liked the cheerleaders for their athleticism and, well, cheerfulness, and didn't consider them the bimbos that Amy thought they were.  I liked his point that they did more good for the world than the cynical magazine staff did.

Yeah, cheerleaders get such a bad rap in movies, I really liked their subversive take on "girl wins guy by becoming a cheerleader" because it wasn't about Amy joining the status quo and becoming conventionally hot to please her man, it was about Amy deciding to not be an asshole anymore since it was negatively impacting her relationship.

• Love 2

Amy Schumer is a great actress, equally adept at drama and comedy. Who knew? The eulogy she gave her father was heartbreaking and her reaction when her boyfriend says I love you was fantastic. I hope this leads to more starring roles for her.

And I swear I just assumed that was an actress that looked like Tilda Swinton, not actual Tilda Swinton.

• Love 2

Bill Hader was a revelation. I don't watch Saturday Night Live and really didn't know much about him, but I loved him. Too bad this was my first and last Judd Apatow movie so probably won't see him again. I thought it was fine, but I am clearly not their target demographic and Bill won't be enough of an incentive to make me watch another one.

If you can, see The Skeleton Twins. He's fantastic in that.

• Love 4

I thought the movie theater scene was beyond hysterical--the reactions of the other couple were just priceless.  But I hated the intervention scene. 

I'm too old for this "hairless" thing, so I'm sure mileage varies.  But John Cena's bare pubic area totally gave me the creeps.  Do men really do that???  Maybe it looks better if you can actually see his dick?  Because what I saw was repellent.

• Love 1

Given how abrasive Schumer and Apatow can be, this was surprisingly sweet. 

It was interesting how Schumer was covered up during the sex scenes while her male partners were nude.   That's a contrast to Apatow's other main female collaborator, Lena Dunham on Girls.  I know that Dunham has gotten a bit of criticism for her nude scenes, but it was a contrast between Amy's lack of monogamy and Hannah's limited partners.  I loved John Cena's erect member covered up by a towel.  Great visual gag. 

Great supporting cast with Swinton and LeBron both being very funny.  Bill Hader is an underrated actor.  He was excellent in Skeleton Twins and was just as good here as a leading romantic man. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Some really great LOL moments.  Thought the movie was 'sweeter' than 'funny' but loved it.  The audience I was in seemed to stifle a lot of their laughter, and I think people's laughter helps make the movie but what can you do??? (Sometimes you miss too much when there's too much laughing in the theater but I appeared to miss nothing with this crew :)  A lot of the jokes seemed to fall flat with this audience as well.

Every skirt Amy wore though?  Way too short in my opinion.  Unless....is that a thing now?  They just seemed tacky.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Add me to the chorus, of "Too Long."  The intervention scene was completely unnecessary, and many scenes seemed to run on too long, like the one where she's trying to get her muscle-bound boyfriend to talk dirty during sex.  But I did like that they didn't make him a complete meathead. 

Saw it this afternoon. Agree with you about the cheerleading scene. Also, Amy clearly had to work with the cheerleaders and get to know them to put the routine together, so she certainly wound up respecting the work they put in.

Also feel it could have been shorter--I don't think any comedy needs to be longer than 1 hour 45 minutes. But I enjoyed it a lot and think Judd Apatow could learn a few things from Amy Schumer about writing female characters. 

• Love 1

I thought this started off strong but kind of petered out. It dragged a bit, IMO.

I have been steadfast in my dislike for LeBron James and then this movie happened. Dammit, he was really natural and hilarious.

I found no problem with the cheerleading bit...the part that annoyed me was when Amy told her sister that she only mocked her family lifestyle because she didn't think she'd get to have it. Because of course, every woman wants marriage and kids and has sour grapes towards those who have those things...sigh.

• Love 3

eeeh.

it was OK. for all the hype it's been getting it's actually bad. I had expected a lot more.

LeBron was a pleasant surprise. I expected him to be wooden boy, but he was actually pretty good. I imagine when being filmed his scenes ended with everyone LOLing uncontrollably after "cut!"

Cliche rom-com after cliche rom-com. I obviously knew how the movie will end (that's expected, so not a minus of a movie per se), but i knew what they were going to say more than half the time.

Also "desperate housewives" rubbed me the wrong way... very wrong way. I know they were a tool in the story telling, kinda roll eyes inducing moment to "prove a point" of Amy's view on monogamous married life.  But at the end Amy realized that she was "so wrong" and basically it means that whatever was opposing her point of view is right. so "my life didn't start till i had kids" suddenly meant that "woman's only purpose in life is to bear babies" (probably in similarly exaggerated way as the original scene, but the message still kinda lingered there)

I also didn't find it to be particularly funny. Yes, I laughed at some points, but most of the time i found whole theater laughing and me sitting there and trying to figure out "what's so funny? why am i not getting it?" I get occasional laughs like that in almost any movie, if i go to a comedy i want to be leaving it with my stomach hurting...

I did like the chemistry and as usual the guy in that type of movie is easy to fall for. Although it was nice that he wasn't perfect and "prince on a white horse" as the genre demands. That scene when after the award where he was on her case about how he needed her there and she basically HAD to drop everything and not care about "pick up or you are fired" text and be there for him was pretty real. He was nervous and put in an uncomfortable situation, sounded like a jerk without really meaning it because emotions were raw. That's how any normal person (not just man) would react. Mature partner would recognize that and let the steam run out and talk it out later. Obviously Amy wasn't a mature partner due to her lifestyle so that was real too.

So don't get me wrong, i liked the movie, just not at the level of the hype. Just another one in the long line of rom-coms. I won't be rewatching it, i surely won't be getting it on any type of media, and if i had cable and ran across it in the "what's on now" i wouldn't stay on that channel.

• Love 2
Also "desperate housewives" rubbed me the wrong way... very wrong way.

I was hating on the 'tell us something you've never told anyone else' scene because of course the wives/mothers had boring, non-shocking "secrets" and so I figured that of course Amy will appall all of them with something sexual. And indeed, her thing was gross and sexual. But then, they had the next woman share that she had a three-way with her husband and his brother at Christmas and she liked it. I truly did not see that coming, and I appreciated it so much. It was a breath of fresh air in a stale cliche.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was hating on the 'tell us something you've never told anyone else' scene because of course the wives/mothers had boring, non-shocking "secrets" and so I figured that of course Amy will appall all of them with something sexual. And indeed, her thing was gross and sexual. But then, they had the next woman share that she had a three-way with her husband and his brother at Christmas and she liked it. I truly did not see that coming, and I appreciated it so much. It was a breath of fresh air in a stale cliche.

That was great.

I also really loved Ezra Miller's character as the kinky 16-year old who just wants to be punished.

The drama bits were a little unexpected- I figured there would be some, as seen in This Is 40, but it's like the dynamic of the sisters who dealt with their dying alcoholic father, and Brie's resulting rage and Amy's resulting sympathy/excusing for him was really uncomfortable to watch because it felt so true to life.

I had no clue Dianna was Tilda Swinton. I am so used to her playing characters with no make-up/kinda androgynous. It was great to see her play something completely different.

Edited by methodwriter85

I really liked this movie.  The hubby and I laughed out a lot.  At times it felt we were the only ones that found pretty much all of it funny.  I do agree that it dragged in parts.  When we left and the hubby said it had been 2 hours plus, it felt like it but not that much.  Of all the JA movies I have seen, I'ved like 3 of them to varying degrees. Funny People was the worst.  

the part that annoyed me was when Amy told her sister that she only mocked her family lifestyle because she didn't think she'd get to have it. Because of course, every woman wants marriage and kids and has sour grapes towards those who have those things...sigh.

I thought this made sense given her father put in their heads that marriage is not realistic and he was a "terrible" father.  Amy took it to heart and her sister didn't.  That's realistic to me.  That's not to say that a part of me didn't think, "There are women out ther that don't want a husband and kids and they aren't trainwrecks so why aren't there movies about those women?"  Anyway, I can see Amy and Aaron being a relationship for a while.  I can even see them getting married.  I don't really see Amy having kids. 

Add me to the list of people who were surprised to see Tilda Swinton. I knew it was her.  I've just never seen her in this kind of role before. 

My only real gripe with this movie (as the other JA movies) is the only people of color are athletes and Randall Park's (love him in Fresh Off the Boat) character.  

I have such complicated feeling about this movie. It's really funny in a way that most romantic comedies aren't and I love AS and BH was fantastic. But...

Add me to the chorus of "too long". It just kept going so long after there was any point left.

I didn't love the cheerleading sceen, although it was funny. I did like that the movie defended cheerleaders as athletes and professionals and treated them on par with the ball players as members of an organization working toward a common goal.

I kind of disliked Amy's hatred of all things sports just because it was oddly didactic without a purpose other than to create a meet-cute conflict. I kept waiting for the movie to tie it back to some resentment toward the Dad, but that never happened. So I'm left with she's just closed minded? Or something?

Ultimately though, I was disappointed they made Amy clean up her act. The throwing away the booze and admitting to her sister that she secretly jealous of her suburban life just bugged. I felt like this was presented as movie about romance for women who don't want that life and then it chickened out at the end. It still ended up being a movie about a woman being taught the error of her wanton ways. I just...eh...am I over thinking it?

• Love 3

Yes, it did chicken out, I agree. Earlier this year I read "I Take You" a fantastic novel with a female protagonist who drinks and has casual sex, and I'm sure it'll be turned into a film at some point. I don't think that book chickened out at all, maybe check it out.

• Love 1

Yes, it did chicken out, I agree. Earlier this year I read "I Take You" a fantastic novel with a female protagonist who drinks and has casual sex, and I'm sure it'll be turned into a film at some point. I don't think that book chickened out at all, maybe check it out.

I will. Thanks for the recommend.

I wonder if they were purposely trying to do a modern take on Greese with the dance number at the end showing how she can be the right kind of girl for her man. Yeah the more I think about it the more it bugs me, especially since this movie was marketed as the anti-romantic comedy, yet we still get an entire movie of a woman learning to change into what her boyfriend wants. I want better for AS than the same message, just with more swearing. I think this is why I can never get 100% behind Judd Apatow. His version of feminism always comes with so much man-splaining. Not only am I supposed to accept how right he is to tell my little female brain how to think, I'm supposed to call him a feminist at the same time. I always end up the killjoy in the room that doesn't think he's brilliant.

• Love 3

I will. Thanks for the recommend.

I wonder if they were purposely trying to do a modern take on Greese with the dance number at the end showing how she can be the right kind of girl for her man. Yeah the more I think about it the more it bugs me, especially since this movie was marketed as the anti-romantic comedy, yet we still get an entire movie of a woman learning to change into what her boyfriend wants. I want better for AS than the same message, just with more swearing. I think this is why I can never get 100% behind Judd Apatow. His version of feminism always comes with so much man-splaining. Not only am I supposed to accept how right he is to tell my little female brain how to think, I'm supposed to call him a feminist at the same time. I always end up the killjoy in the room that doesn't think he's brilliant.

I kind of saw it as Amy deciding to actually try something she mocked, because at one point Bill's character tells her that it's easier to mock things because if you don't try you can't fail.

• Love 2

I have such complicated feeling about this movie. It's really funny in a way that most romantic comedies aren't and I love AS and BH was fantastic. But...

Add me to the chorus of "too long". It just kept going so long after there was any point left.

I didn't love the cheerleading sceen, although it was funny. I did like that the movie defended cheerleaders as athletes and professionals and treated them on par with the ball players as members of an organization working toward a common goal.

I kind of disliked Amy's hatred of all things sports just because it was oddly didactic without a purpose other than to create a meet-cute conflict. I kept waiting for the movie to tie it back to some resentment toward the Dad, but that never happened. So I'm left with she's just closed minded? Or something?

Ultimately though, I was disappointed they made Amy clean up her act. The throwing away the booze and admitting to her sister that she secretly jealous of her suburban life just bugged. I felt like this was presented as movie about romance for women who don't want that life and then it chickened out at the end. It still ended up being a movie about a woman being taught the error of her wanton ways. I just...eh...am I over thinking it?

No, I don't think you're over-thinking it. I thought that for once the movie was going to end with the characters going their separate ways after realizing they're wrong for each other. Instead it fell back on the conventional rom-com ending. Up until then, it did a nice job of spoofing the other romantic comedy conventions, though. I liked Amy's commentary on the cliche montage. 

I didn't think Amy hated sports, just didn't care about them. Speaking of the dad's influence, though, I did expect her to have a conversation with Aaron at some point over her dad's teaching that monogamy isn't realistic. Her sister showed far more hostility to sports--and the dad--when she ripped up that vintage Mets poster. If she didn't want to keep it for Dad, surely someone would have paid a good price for it.

This was, for me, a surprisingly serious movie, despite the ads suggesting a zany Hangover-style romp. 

This was, for me, a surprisingly serious movie, despite the ads suggesting a zany Hangover-style romp. 

It really, for me, may be the kind of movie that is better the second time, because on first viewing, the disconnect between what you've been sold and what you get is jarring.

On a second viewing, knowing from my first viewing what the movie is and what the movie isn't, I might be able to like the whole middle section better.

I basically blame all the bad stuff on Apatow, though. Mainly because the bad stuff was bad in exactly the way so many Apatow movies have been bad. The badness had his fingerprints all over it. Whereas the only other work we have from Amy--her standup and her sketch comedy--is completely brilliant. Making me think that if only she'd made the movie she wanted to make, we'd have really had something.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

Yeah, you can tell an Apatow film from a mile away. Bridesmaids, I believe, was sold to be a crazy romp ala Hangover (a movie I love), but turned out to be two and a half hours of Kristen Wiig moping with five minutes of poop/barf scene in between. And Knocked Up is one of my all time most hated films. Hopefully someone else is willing to make the film we were promised with the Trainwreck ads.

The true hero of this movie was LeBron, hands down. What a love he was, so concerned for his friend! It was precious.

The movie was funny, but it was in no way revolutionary. A lot of cheap laughs and very base humor. Which was fine, it's exactly what I expected. It was a total Apatow movie.

I would hold Apatow completely accountable for the Apatowness of the movie, except I read somewhere (a link from here? I can't remember) where Amy said, "I totally wrote the script with Judd Apatow in mind. I totally wanted to land him and so I set out to write a script he would love." (Paraphrasing.) So, the movie does suffer from a huge case of Apatowitis, but Amy shares some of the blame for that.

My hope (and maybe her ambition) is that, having succeeded in her fiendishly clever plot to get in the door of Hollywood by creating an "Apatow movie," Amy will now be free to make an "Amy Schumer movie."

• Love 1

Trainwreck is now standing at 102 million dollars domestic box office, the first romantic comedy to hit 100 million domestic box office since Silver Linings Playbook in 2012/2013.

As for Amy cleaning up her act, that's classic Apatow- the childish adult who puts away childish things for the love of a good person. Although it's usually a guy doing it for their gal.

Who knew? The eulogy she gave her father was heartbreaking and her reaction when her boyfriend says I love you was fantastic. I hope this leads to more starring roles for her.

I just like how awkward Bil Hader's character was. Very different from the usual handsome doctor character.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Trainwreck is now standing at 102 million dollars domestic box office, the first romantic comedy to hit 100 million domestic box office since Silver Linings Playbook in 2012/2013.

Certainly validates Amy's strategy of writing a script intended to seduce Apatow into making it.

Edited by Milburn Stone

Finally saw this over the weekend.

Given how abrasive Schumer and Apatow can be, this was surprisingly sweet. 

I had kind of been avoiding it because I thought it would be really crass. But I was pleasantly surprised - it was a bit sweet. I enjoyed it a lot. Lebron totally stole the show - I was dying when he was quoting "Golddigger."

And Knocked Up is one of my all time most hated films.

Ugh, me too. Terrible movie.

I would hold Apatow completely accountable for the Apatowness of the movie, except I read somewhere (a link from here? I can't remember) where Amy said, "I totally wrote the script with Judd Apatow in mind. I totally wanted to land him and so I set out to write a script he would love." (Paraphrasing.) So, the movie does suffer from a huge case of Apatowitis, but Amy shares some of the blame for that.

My hope (and maybe her ambition) is that, having succeeded in her fiendishly clever plot to get in the door of Hollywood by creating an "Apatow movie," Amy will now be free to make an "Amy Schumer movie."

I could be wrong, but I thought it was that Apatow wrote Trainwreck with Schumer in mind. It's possible I'm the one reversing it, but that's what I remember.

Amy wrote it, the movie's full of bits she's used in her stand up, with Apatow directing.

My favorite part was the baby shower storytelling.  It was actually a bit dirtier than the version she tells in her stand up and funnier as a result.  I love that movie Amy was won over when that one lady revealed her threesome with her brother in law. 

• Love 1

Ultimately though, I was disappointed they made Amy clean up her act. The throwing away the booze and admitting to her sister that she secretly jealous of her suburban life just bugged.

I waited until this was out on iTunes to watch it, so I'm chiming in really late, but whatever.

I actually related to Amy's hatred of all things sports, because I feel that way too. I didn't grow up in a sports-loving household and have never had a favorite team or any of that.  It just feels like ... the antithesis of what I'm about. So anyway,  I got that about Amy. And in fact, I was a little annoyed that she ended up embracing sports (enough to do the cheerleader routine) and also gave up drinking just for a guy. Why can't someone hold onto their own identity, even if that identity includes disliking sports and liking to drink, regardless of what their partner is into?  I'm not saying being an alcoholic is cool, but why do movies & TV always have to assume that anyone who likes to drink needs to quit completely in order to be a responsible grown up? (Especially women - male characters are allowed to be drinkers in tv/movies without always being portrayed as an alcoholic/degenerate.)  Amy could've stopped getting hammered on work nights or getting black-out drunk without giving it up completely. I don't know, it just seemed too cliche and neatly tied up in a bow at the end. She started out messy, why can't she stay a bit messy and still get the guy?

Edited by iggysaurus

I waited until this was out on iTunes to watch it, so I'm chiming in really late, but whatever.

I actually related to Amy's hatred of all things sports, because I feel that way too. I didn't grow up in a sports-loving household and have never had a favorite team or any of that. It just feels like ... the antithesis of what I'm about. So anyway, I got that about Amy. And in fact, I was a little annoyed that she ended up embracing sports (enough to do the cheerleader routine) and also gave up drinking just for a guy. Why can't someone hold onto their own identity, even if that identity includes disliking sports and liking to drink, regardless of what their partner is into? I'm not saying being an alcoholic is cool, but why do movies & TV always have to assume that anyone who likes to drink needs to quit completely in order to be a responsible grown up? (Especially women - male characters are allowed to be drinkers in tv/movies without always being portrayed as an alcoholic/degenerate.) Amy could've stopped getting hammered on work nights or getting black-out drunk without giving it up completely. I don't know, it just seemed too cliche and neatly tied up in a bow at the end. She started out messy, why can't she stay a bit messy and still get the guy?

I should clarify. It wasn't that Any didn't like sports. It was the particular way she didn't like them. To the point of saying the thought that anyone who did like them had a low IQ. I don't like crafting, but I don't think that people who do like it are mentally challenged. That was the part that was odd to me. It felt so oddly extreme, and to be honest not all that in character with the woman she was playing. But then I'm not a fan meet-cutes and it felt like the only reason the character would hate sports that much was because she was going to fall for a sports medicine Doctor. IRONY, or just mediocre writing.

I don't think she ended up embracing sports at all, though.  She fully embraced literally being a cheerleader for Hader's character which to me was much worse.  I loved how Amy's character was a feminist.  I loved her saying "You're going to lose us the right to vote" at the cheerleaders at the earlier basketball game.  Then of course the main character does a 180 and becomes a cheerleader to impress her man to show her she can be not-cynical and see how cheerleaders "bring joy" to people.

Hader's character saying that cheerleaders are great because they bring happiness to people or bring them together or WHAT-E-T-F -- the line was so hilariously bad to me that I thought the character was being sarcastic.  Then I realized he wasn't.  And that Amy's character was actually made to feel bad about that point.   

I go to baseball games all the time and the game is what brings people together.  Not the cheerleaders.  

I'm sorry if anyone here is a cheerleader - I do find the whole thing quite a bit sexist - no offense to anyone personally.  

It's the embracing the non-feminist cheerleading that pissed me off, not necessarily embracing sports.  I think once you grow as a couple you're going to take on the superficial likes and characteristics of your partner and vice versa - that is normal and makes sense to me.  I don't think you lose your identity if you start to like the same music, hobbies, sports, movies, etc. as your partner.  It's natural for people to influence one another.  It's giving up your principles that I personally have the issue with.   Other than this fucking cheerleader angle at the end, I really loved the movie.

why do movies & TV always have to assume that anyone who likes to drink needs to quit completely in order to be a responsible grown up? (Especially women)

I actually think it's quite widespread today, this phenomenon of women drinking wine onscreen and it being totally normalized and a central part of the character.  Scandal is really well known for this.  The Good Wife.  New Adventures of Christine.  These 3 shows make a huge point of their main female protagonist being hugely into alcohol on a near-daily basis and it not interrupting their work, personal life, or routine.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I love Amy and couldn't wait to see this. Sorry to say, it was a bit disappointing. I agree - it went on way too long and I found the second half just fell apart and became a typical rom-com. The cheerleader thing was predictable and I found it somewhat silly. Her character was far more interesting and funny in the first half, before she felt like she had to "change" for a man.

I was very impressed though with Amy's acting. I hope that next time, she has better material. And not Judd Apatow. I still can't get the foul stench of Knocked Up out of my mind and that was years ago!!

• Love 1

I love Amy and couldn't wait to see this. Sorry to say, it was a bit disappointing. I agree - it went on way too long and I found the second half just fell apart and became a typical rom-com. The cheerleader thing was predictable and I found it somewhat silly. Her character was far more interesting and funny in the first half, before she felt like she had to "change" for a man.

I was very impressed though with Amy's acting. I hope that next time, she has better material. And not Judd Apatow. I still can't get the foul stench of Knocked Up out of my mind and that was years ago!!

I honestly thought the father death plot was so unnecessary. It felt like a cheap ploy to get Amy and her sister to alienate from each other, and for Amy to get that little push she needed to go on a downward spiral. Don't get me wrong, the acting was amazing and the fight was incredible, but I felt like it didn't really belong in an Apatow movie. It's like it couldn't really decide to be a drama or a comedy, and it didn't quite balance it well enough to be a dramedy because the father death plot was just too depressing and "real" to be able to have some kind of comedic touch to it.

In fall 2009, I saw Amy give a stand-up at my school's student center on a little stage in the middle of the cafeteria. I was dressed in a cop uniform for a play I was doing, and she decided to mess with me. It's absolutely amazing to me that six years later, I watched her on the big screen.

Edited by methodwriter85

Her character was far more interesting and funny in the first half, before she felt like she had to "change" for a man.

I was very impressed though with Amy's acting. I hope that next time, she has better material. And not Judd Apatow.

Apatow now reminds me of the director character in Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels, who began to feel that making successful comedies was not "enough," and so went off in search of America's pain so that he might make films of real importance--only to discover that the very most important thing he could do for a downtrodden America was to make it laugh. Apatow hasn't quite come to that realization yet.

In fall 2009, I saw Amy give a stand-up at my school's student center on a little stage in the middle of the cafeteria. I was dressed in a cop uniform for a play I was doing, and she decided to mess with me. It's absolutely amazing to me that six years later, I watched her on the big screen.

School as in a college, or a school with little kids? 'Cause Amy Schumer's comedy and little kids just don't mix. Actually, when I first saw her, it was on Last Comic Standing, and she was very clean. She talked about dating and relationships sometimes, but she didn't even hint at anything sexual. Maybe that's because it was on NBC. But no, some of the guys were pretty raunchy.

I just saw the movie yesterday. I thought it was hilarious, though as many others have said, the second 1/2 dragged a bit. 

If you have a chance, watch the DVD extras. My favorite bonus material was the improvisation done by the actors. Amy Schumer, of course, and the other stand-up comedians in the movie are great improvisers. But John Cena was hilarious. And so was the old man who played one of the assisted living residents. 

• Love 1

I just saw this on HBO. Overall I thought it was just crazy too long. I thought the dad's death would be the end of the movie but it seemed to go on forever.  There were some crazy funny parts of the film but other parts were you could see they were improvising and it wasn't funny.  The Ezra Miller seduction was painful. I was so happy to see Colin Quinn and also at the same time depressed he was the dad and then, Norman Lloyd? Wow, This was a crazy diverse cast.  I am not sure I really enjoyed the romance. I couldn't quite see what Amy saw in the guy and him her (other than just a long line of guys who don't get much and thus fall for the first aggressive female they meet -- then want her to change). 

Enjoyable and I will give Amy credit for killing it at her dad's funeral.

• Love 1
I'm sorry if anyone here is a cheerleader - I do find the whole thing quite a bit sexist - no offense to anyone personally.  

It's the embracing the non-feminist cheerleading that pissed me off, not necessarily embracing sports.  I think once you grow as a couple you're going to take on the superficial likes and characteristics of your partner and vice versa - that is normal and makes sense to me.  I don't think you lose your identity if you start to like the same music, hobbies, sports, movies, etc. as your partner.  It's natural for people to influence one another.  It's giving up your principles that I personally have the issue with.   Other than this fucking cheerleader angle at the end, I really loved the movie.

Wait......you're telling me sexist is not actually a compliment? Who knew?

Also, it's perversely hilarious to me that the main complaint about this movie is that Amy grew up a little bit. Considering that she got the "monogamy isn't realistic" philosophy from her father, would it really have been feminist for her to adhere to it for the rest of her life? Given that she was basically self-medicating with alcohol and drugs, it seems like the next logical step is that she wasn't really that happy with her life to begin with, and I don't think it's anti-woman to make that presumption.

I do see the comparisons to Knocked Up, but what's worth noting is that Seth Rogen's Ben also needed to grow up so that he could be a father to his child, and unless that's somehow a bad thing as well because he turned his whole life around for the sake of his kid and his girlfriend, then I don't see Amy giving up booze and sleeping around as negative. Even if she and Aaron didn't end up married or whatever, since the movie leaves it open-ended as to what happens next, people do change, not always for the worse. OMMV.

• Love 1