Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Finger In The Dyke

• Start Topic

(edited)

Another ep where I felt the plots came off as being executed a little too simplistically.

Pensatucky friendliness with Boo (and Nicky a few eps ago) seemed a bit sudden - I guess I forgot too much from the previous season...

Piper deserved that slap / ear-pull from her mother; I wasn't impressed by that Harry meet Sally re-enacting either. ;P

Next.

Edited by sev
  • Love 5

Boo's backstory was heartbreaking. I feel like I'm saying that about a lot of the backstories this season. I loved her outburst at the preacher at the end.

I loved Soso's takedown of her friend. It's like she finally realized how annoying she sounded to everyone whenever she goes off on one of her tangents.

I also loved Gloria's takedown of her son. I wish he actually did have a way to get there every single week. I think, if given the chance, Gloria could definitely set him on the right path. 

I actually liked a Piper and Alex scene in this ep. I thought the "playlist" at the end was really adorable.

After actually seeing the prison corporation people, there's no way this isn't blowing up in Caputo's face.

• Love 4

I'm really grossed out by the hints that Red and Healy like each other, especially that it might be romantically.  Red could do a million times better.

The scene that has Suzanne comforting Taystee about Vee's death is easily my favorite one so far.

Pensatucky and Boo's friendship is charming.  I've liked Boo since the first season, so I'm glad that we're finally seeing more.

• Love 6

Yesss, I dislike the Healy/Red scenes as much as I love the Boo/Pennsatucky scenes.

I feel like they just threw Red and Healy together for age appropriateness or something? There was no chemistry there ever, and to me Healy is still the guy who walked away when it looked like Pennsatucky might literally kill Piper.

And the scene where Red was telling Healy's wife how awesome Healy was felt very much like retcon/propping up this new arc. Do not want. Hope they will pivot on us.

• Love 4

Unimpressive episode. The backstories are becoming pretty predictable, I could have predicted Boo's almost exactly a couple seasons ago. I don't see where any of the lots are going right now. Bennett and Nicki seem to have disappeared into thin air killing tow plot lines cold. Alex and Piper aren't adding a thing. Seriously, what's the conflict here right now?

It seems  they're  going to transfer some inmates from max to Litchfield? That could mean Nicky could come back!

Boo's speech at  the end is supposed to be a "hell,  yeah" moment, but I didn't feel it. No one forced  her to use a wig and some make-up.  And she just wanted to scam those religious extremists. I liked it when she scared the teenager that insulted her, though, and when she talked to his dad at the hospital. She was defending something real then. 

On the other hand, her friendship with Pennsatucky is becoming one of my favourite things from this season. 

Loved that moment with Suzanne and  Taystee. Vee was an awful person, but I can understand why  her death was painful to them.

I was angry at Luschek last episode but if Nicky put the heroine bag there, then I guess I can understand why he'd rat her. Although he deserves to be in  prison too. 

Please, God, don't let Healy "fall in love" with Red.

• Love 1
(edited)

And the episode we've all been wanting. BOO!   I liked her backstory and it fit with what we know about her character.   The speech at the end was well done and camethisclose to hitting its mark.  

FYI  Boo and Dogget are like a dream comedy duo.  Who would have guessed it?  

Carrie?  Did we know Boo's really name was Carrie?

I like that Gloria is trying to be a good mother to Benito even from prison.   The fact that her plans couldn't happen for logistical reasons is probably something that happens a lot with mothers in prison.  They can't punish their child because how do they back it up.  It was a good plan though and it almost worked.  

So privately owned prisons are going to be a thing this season.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Keeping in mind that I've only watch up to this episode, my take on the Red/Healy scene was different. I felt like Red was projecting. She's there because she wanted to fit in with the younger, hotter wives. However, I do think Healy took it very much to heart and has imprinted on her. Not sure where that is going to go. He seems like an Elliot Rogers kind of guy. I could see him totally snapping if she doesn't return his affection. Especially given their stations. He may become angry that someone who is lesser than him doesn't think he is worthy of her.

• Love 2

After actually seeing the prison corporation people, there's no way this isn't blowing up in Caputo's face.

That throw-away line about "better utilizing the unused space" was vaguely ominous.  Yeah, this is going to be bad news in some way, shape or form.

• Love 3

I really like Daggett 2.0, but how did this sharp, funny, self-aware, open minded girl come out of the moron crackhead homophobe nutball that she was in season 1?  

Loved Boo telling that little shit on the street to STFU. I was so disappointed in her father's reaction when she showed up at the hospital. I get that you are supposed to love your parents and all*, but that shouldn't have to mean hiding who you are to keep them from feeling uncomfortable (an interesting contrast to Boo was Piper throwing her new girlfriend in her parents' faces in a deliberate effort to make them uncomfortable). Interestingly, I just started reading a book called Chameleon in the Closet which is about a woman whose son became Orthodox Jewish and the changes she made to accommodate his beliefs (including dressing differently around him).

* Even though it's commonly accepted that you are supposed to love and respect your parents/family members, it's a two way street. If they can't love and respect you the way you are, then why should you have to be the one always compromising to make them happy? I think it's damaging that people feel obligated to maintain a relationship with their parents in situations like that (Daya is another good example of someone who I think would be better off if she cut her mother out of her life, although I realize that is uch more difficult to do now while they are in prison together). I have seen so many tv shows (and in real life) where a well-meaning friend/significant other/family member tries to guilt trip and pressure someone into seeing a parent, inviting them to their wedding, etc. and I wish people would just mind their own business. There are some people out there who are terrible parents. Just because you pushed a kid out doesn't automatically make you a good person or a loving parent, and your child is not obligated to let you keep emotionally abusing them just because you are the parent. I have seen many people in real life make themselves miserable by continuing to maintain a relationship with a terrible parent. Boo seemed to have a good relationship with her dad when she was younger but after what he said to her at the hospital, I wouldn't blame her for going back to not having a relationship with him.

• Love 17

I really like Daggett 2.0, but how did this sharp, funny, self-aware, open minded girl come out of the moron crackhead homophobe nutball that she was in season 1?

Self-aware doesn't mean intelligent and drugs make you stupid. Plus Pensatucky always appeared to me as someone who bought her own press.

Don't remember if Caputo's little tete-a-tete with Fangs was in this episode or the last, but I guess it's safer to put it in here.

LOVED it. He spoke the language she understands - blackmail and cruelty - after first trying to appeal to her (non-existent) sense of fair play. Good on her for coming through with the 'criteria', even if it was only to save her own sham marriage and chi-chi lifestyle. I like the grudging respect that they have for each other, even though he's the decent person and she's every definition of c*** (except the literal). 

Plus, they're funny.

• Love 1

This years back stories seem to tie into their present day personality a little more.   Boo swore to her dad that she would not change who she is to to appease someone else - no matter who that person was.  Flash forward and she is all dolled up and playing nicey nicey with the minister until it clicked...she was totally betraying herself.

My wife and I don't have a problem with our families accepting us - but we have lesbian friends that their families have disowned them, they can't bring their partners home, or when they are home with family they really can't talk about their lives because their families don't accept it at all.  To the point -  a couple friends ended up marrying men so her families would accept them again.

• Love 2
(edited)

The writers seem to be checking backstories off a list, while at the same time sending other storylines (Nikki, Bennett) on hiatus, but so far nothing new has come along to take their places.   Doesn't Litchfield get new inmates on a weekly basis?  Isn't anyone ever released anymore?  Where's the turnover? 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm not in Boo's demographic - I have an honest question - would someone like Boo really be able to pull the type of women she was shown with?   

I only ask because a trope I HATE in teevee\movies is the drop-dead gorgeous model type woman with the not hot man (sans a LOT of money\power lol)

Edited by Xena
  • Love 2

On the other hand, her friendship with Pennsatucky is becoming one of my favourite things from this season. 

Me too!  I never would have thought that when I first started watching but they are fantastic together.  

• Love 2

I'm not in Boo's demographic - I have an honest question - would someone like Boo really be able to pull the type of women she was shown with?   

I only ask because a trope I HATE in teevee\movies is the drop-dead gorgeous model type woman with the not hot man (sans a LOT of money\power lol)

Here is Lea DeLaria with her real-life wife: http://www.hngn.com/articles/67480/20150206/orange-is-the-new-black-star-lea-delaria-engaged-chelsea-fairless-fashion-editor-girlfriend-netflix-big-boo.htm

I have the same feeling when it comes to male-female couples but only because of the widespread cultural assumption that all women have to offer is their looks whereas physically unattractive men can be loved for their humor and quirkiness. Those skewed standards don't really apply when it comes to lesbian couples.

• Love 4

Actually, Boo's look is very popular and rather mainstream in lesbian circles. She would not be considered "desirable despite her looks," but in many cases would be sought after because of them. It's not at all unusual to see a butch dyke like Boo with a more mainstream hottie. There is a much wider range of body types and style choices (clothes, hairstyle, etc) that are considered normal in lesbian communities, and butches in some cases are the more sought after type.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Actually, Boo's look is very popular and rather mainstream in lesbian circles. She would not be considered "desirable despite her looks," but in many cases would be sought after because of them. It's not at all unusual to see a butch dyke like Boo with a more mainstream hottie. There is a much wider range of body types and style choices (clothes, hairstyle, etc) that are considered normal in lesbian communities, and butches in some cases are the more sought after type.

I don't claim to be every (queer) woman, but I prefer butch women and totally chase/respond to women like Boo.

• Love 5

I'm really over the lesbian sex scenes. And I feel like the story is just spinning...not going anywhere. But, please. No more gratuitous sex. It just is awkward.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems to me that there has been less sex in the third season overall than the first two seasons, and most definitely the first. A friend of mine said something about there being a lot of "lesbian sex" [sic] in OITNB when it first came out, and I replied, "Well, it IS set in a women's prison." I never saw "Oz", but I'm assuming there's a fair amount of male-on-male sex, since it takes place in a men's prison.

I guess what it comes down to for me is: If what you are watching offends or bothers you, why continue watching it?

• Love 3

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems to me that there has been less sex in the third season overall than the first two seasons, and most definitely the first. A friend of mine said something about there being a lot of "lesbian sex" [sic] in OITNB when it first came out, and I replied, "Well, it IS set in a women's prison." I never saw "Oz", but I'm assuming there's a fair amount of male-on-male sex, since it takes place in a men's prison.

I guess what it comes down to for me is: If what you are watching offends or bothers you, why continue watching it?

Why didn't I think of not watching??? What a concept. I guess it's because I care about the characters. I really am not happy with any of the gratuitous sex scenes, hetero or lesbian. I don't know if you're implying I have a bias (which I dont). My bias is that all this prison sex doesn't advance the story for me. If you enjoy it, good for you and I'll defend it. Since it's Netflix, I've begun to FF through all of the sex scenes.

• Love 10

You said:

I'm really over the lesbian sex scenes.

I assumed that meant you had a problem with the female-on-female sex. Not all of the sex on the show is "lesbian", but that's another issue. Thank you for clarifying your point. I understand, and apologize for having assumed differently than what you intended.

Similarly, I got irritated at "Louie" (Louis CK) having sex seemingly each week (each new episode) with a different woman. It bothered me as a feminist, because I feel like only a man would write like that--like he's so irresistible that women are just throwing themselves at him.

I guess "Hollywood" puts this bullshit in front of us in general, because no one I know has the kind of sex life that is portrayed on screen.

• Love 2

You said:I assumed that meant you had a problem with the female-on-female sex. Not all of the sex on the show is "lesbian", but that's another issue. Thank you for clarifying your point. I understand, and apologize for having assumed differently than what you intended.

Similarly, I got irritated at "Louie" (Louis CK) having sex seemingly each week (each new episode) with a different woman. It bothered me as a feminist, because I feel like only a man would write like that--like he's so irresistible that women are just throwing themselves at him.

I guess "Hollywood" puts this bullshit in front of us in general, because no one I know has the kind of sex life that is portrayed on screen.

Yeah. The Louie CK sex is awkward, too. But in this thread I'm referring to the OITNB nonsense. I still love the show. I don't think I've ever commented on the Louie CK site.

(edited)

I don't claim to be every (queer) woman, but I prefer butch women and totally chase/respond to women like Boo.

Haha, not to get too much into personal stuff, but the woman I have a huge crush on prefers large butch women, too, so I (a skinny, femmy dyke) don't really have a chance. It's not surprising Boo gets a lot of play.

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 2

Oh hell yes we can! Well, not me anymore, Im married (and monogamous with) my (also butch) wife! Boo's back story just totally worked for me because every word she spoke against the homophobia (starting as a kid), I too have spoken to friends, lovers and yes, my (loving and kind) parents. I live in the south and my wife and I just bought a house up in the mountains, a town of around 10K, we'll be moved up there in less than a month. Ive been worrying about if I should do something, anything to change my appearance and every time I thought about that, I got more and more depressed. I may as well be dead if it means I can't just be myself. I've told my mom a million times, it's not my problem the world looks at me with hatred/disgust in its eyes, it's the worlds problem.....but that problem can very easily lead to my death. To hear the character of Boo speak aloud the words that live in my own heart was so damn powerful. I can not hide who and what I am and I am not wearing a "costume" to make some point, I'm just living my life and expressing my true self in all I do. For this episode alone I would be eternally grateful for this marvelous show.

• Love 22

Lea DeLaria is oozing with swagger. That's very hot to many of us, for sure.

it seems to me that there has been less sex in the third season overall than the first two seasons, and most definitely the first. 

Agreed. This season has only been Piper/Alex and then Boo's flashback. Last season there was Piper/Alex, Nicky/37 different girls, Poussey's flashback, etc. The first season also had quite a few Nicky/Lorna scenes. I feel like the third season has considerably less sex in general (although some of the hetero sex scenes have been a little more graphic!).

I liked Boo's story, and while I think her big speeches were overwrought, that is so perfectly Boo. And I was glad to see pushback on that while she was on that date, because you rarely see those contradictions represented (i.e., within lesbian circles).  

• Love 1

I'm not here to argue the merit of what prison is like, but it appears SEX is part of currency. It's used as power, manipulation, love, hate and comfort. However, there aren't a lot of pairings where the sex would be appropriate.

• Love 3
Boo's speech at  the end is supposed to be a "hell,  yeah" moment, but I didn't feel it. No one forced  her to use a wig and some make-up.  And she just wanted to scam those religious extremists.

Not that I have a huge problem with hatemongers being fleeced, but watching a character make a very predictable last-minute decision not to do something shady isn't really cheering material for me. More like yawning material, because is there a single person who didn't know Boo was going to change her mind?

I'm still waiting for this season to find its stride. It seems like we're lacking any real tension or conflict and worse, the writers are repeating stories. I really like Soso and the actor who plays her, but I don't need to see Taylor's season one arc done again. OTOH I can't stand Healy and can't believe they're repeating the "prisoner/prison employee" story. Wasn't Daya/Bennett enough? It was way MORE than enough for me. Ugh, ugh, ugh. If they really go there I think I'm done. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am a femme lesbian married to another femme lesbian, but Lea DeLaria does have something very sexy about her. And the thing that's weird is that the men that I find attractive, but attractive only in a way where I would never fuck, are "pretty" men like a young Roger Daltrey, Peter Frampton or David Gilmour. I am 90% attracted to femme chicks, but Lea when not playing Boo is hot as hell. I have some really gorgeous butch friends too. It isn't just their appearance though, but how they carry themselves.

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 3

I'm not here to argue the merit of what prison is like, but it appears SEX is part of currency. It's used as power, manipulation, love, hate and comfort. However, there aren't a lot of pairings where the sex would be appropriate.

It's also sometimes used for protection.  I have a family member who was in state prison for about a year and a half.  She says that most of the girls had a "prison wife" and apparently hers was respected enough that other girls didn't try and start shit with her because she was So-and-so's "wife".   She finished her sentence, came home, and is now the mother of a little boy with another baby on the way.

(edited)

I've never really gotten the appeal of the butch lesbian thing, but I'll agree that Lea DeLaria has a real confidence and swagger that makes her kind of sexy.  So thanks, show, for expanding my horizons on that.  I didn't really care for the character all that much in earlier seasons but she's really grown on me.

Boo's story felt fairly predictable, right up through the ending of her deciding not to play along with the scary preacher, but it was still really well done.  I found her father's speech about what's a costume vs. what's real a pretty interesting way to frame the issue even if in the end it's still a very basic story about acceptance.  The look on her face when she commented about seeing her late estranged mother when she saw her made up self killed me. The young girl playing the young Boo was an amazing dead ringer for her older counterpart.

Suzanne continues to break my heart, probably because I see my own child's behavioral and mental issues in her.  I love the caretaker relationship Taystee has assumed with her this season and their mutual breakdown over missing Vee.  Nice continuity from season 2.

Terribly shallow I know, but I find the actress playing Piper's mother very hard to look at.  I don't know what's going on with her face, but it doesn't make sitting through scenes of Piper acting like a petulant 15-year-old any easier to take.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 3

I don't have a problem with Boo's backstory being fairly predictable. I have no doubt that her tv story is a lot of people's real life story, and a lot of the discussion here underscores that. There should be more stories like this on tv anyway. I did think the end was a little much. I mean, I get it, but Boo was trying to scam off people who no one doubts is hateful. It's kind of a sloppy scam on her part and got her in hot water.

I hardly find the sex gratuitous. For one, people have sex. It's a part of life. For the other, as it has been discussed here, I think it was important to show that Boo "got the hot girl." Because, yes, that is a realistic pairing that occurs a lot in real life that people don't know about. For third, it's important to show that Boo was living life even though she's a criminal. She knew the everyone in the bar, seemed popular, was dating, hooking up. The fact that Tracy didn't go home with Boo, then later they showed them in a relationship I think was important because...

...It also underscores the final scene with her dad where she finally comes to visit her mother after being estranged for so long, and the only thing she gets is a lecture about "wearing a costume." She's not wearing a costume, she's living her life. They're the ones with the problem. Not for nothing, Dad "do you think I want to wear a suit 5 days a week?" Talk about missing the point. She had jeans and a sweatshirt on. It's not like she's walking around like a leather daddy in the hospital. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Then can be perceived appearance disparity among every single type of couple*; it's an "eye of the beholder" kind of thing, and not everyone is basing couplehood or even just a fling on looks or "type." I feel like my BF and I are on par with each other but there's bound to be someone out there who thinks he's way too cute for me.

* My friend used to get super-concerened over who "looked right" with his or her S.O. Not to the point of thinking they shouldn't be together but of over-pondering it all and making the rest of us laugh at her. As girl next door, only with tattoos, I was "safe" from the scrutiny and "matched" everyone (not sure if that was a compliment or insult though).

And speaking of cute...

[Louis CK is] so irresistible that women are just throwing themselves at him.

I think I might if given the chance! 

Edited by TattleTeeny