Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Judging by his face at the end, yes, he's about to do it again.  When we see him cleaning, it's during the day and he's in regular clothes.  When the mom and kid come out and she says the kid almost made it, everyone is in PJs.  So he cleaned up one potty training mishap (or was just routine cleaning), then the kid did it again that night.

A moment of sympathy for the aspiring child actor who will have to go to school as the Kid That Peed Himself. I hope he makes it big enough to someday be interviewed about his first acting job.

• Like 5

I scratch my head when I see the innumerable Botox ads with the victims clients seated in front of a camera.  Why do I scratch my head?  Because without exception they look worse to me after treatment than before.

(Oh, and in the before shots they're quizzically raising their eyebrows, but in the after shots they're not - of course they have wrinkles in the first ones.  This part of my comment does really belong in the Commercials that Irritate thread.)

• Like 13
10 hours ago, Ancaster said:

(Oh, and in the before shots they're quizzically raising their eyebrows, but in the after shots they're not

Because they can't! 

• LOL 14
On 3/4/2024 at 1:37 PM, mmecorday said:

There's a Clorox ad that has me a little befuddled. A man is mopping his bathroom floor, presumably with bleach. Then later a woman and a child are exiting the bathroom. A toilet flushing can be heard in the background. The woman says to the mopping man, "He almost made it." Is the implication that the child threw up or did he do something else? 

The voice over/narrator says "... because --it happens", which leads me to believe he shat on the floor.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Because they can't! 

Well, I get that the idea is to get their formerly wrinkly foreheads fixed, but surely some minimal expression should be attainable/desirable, unless the person injecting the Botox did a really terrible job.  In which case, why are they using them in this ad?

• Like 1

Every time I see those Botox ads I just think that these people are WAY too worried about these minor issues with their face. I bet no one even notices the difference. People are not studying your face to see the flaws (unless you are some movie star and then that's life for you). 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

The Pillsbury Doughboy's voice sounds really weird in their latest commercial.  It doesn't seem as high-pitched as it has normally been.

After seeing the Billy Mays commercial (Mighty Mendit) about a hundred times in the last week on a couple of channels, I think that they have just dredged up an old ad and are showing it unchanged (unless they have the voiceover guy say a different price this many years later).  The part where they list the price and address and everything on the screen is rather blurry with bars on the side like it was made before there were HD TVs.  It is very strange, but when I had Googled Mays to see when he died, the main thing that came up besides his obituary were fairly recent articles about what a great spokesman he had been.  I guess this inspired someone to bring him and this ad back from the dead.

• Like 2

There's a commercial for Target or something with a kindergartener attempting to pour milk into a backpack filled with cereal who is way too old to be doing that or be in that grade, unless she's developmentally disabled.

• LOL 1

I have a question about the Real,Real where you can buy used designer stuff. I don't care about designer stuff and am not their target audience, but hearing about designer knockoffs, do they guarantee what you're getting is real and not fake?

• Like 1
(edited)

I found this statement, claiming that the Real Real stuff is authenticated: 

"We have a rigorous, brand-specific authentication process that uses both human expertise and AI and Machine Learning. In addition, as the largest marketplace for authenticated luxury consignment, we have an extensive set of data — which serves as the backbone of our authentication process.Feb 15, 2024"

However, Chanel filed a lawsuit against TRR, claiming they sold seven counterfeit Chanel bags.

Some of the fakes are so close to real that I can't imagine being 100% accurate at detecting what's authentic, and what's not. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a question about the Real,Real where you can buy used designer stuff. I don't care about designer stuff and am not their target audience, but hearing about designer knockoffs, do they guarantee what you're getting is real and not fake?

I have my doubts, but I do know their stuff is fugly.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I doubt people like you & me are their target audience. The closest I get to designer is Kirkland.

• LOL 9

When the baby says "Liberty" Auntie says:" How many people did you tell?"  What does that mean, she repeated it so much the baby picked it up????????

Makes no sense

On 3/13/2024 at 7:46 PM, Gharlane said:

Looks like clown outfits! 🙄

• Like 2
1 hour ago, xls said:

When the baby says "Liberty" Auntie says:" How many people did you tell?"  What does that mean, she repeated it so much the baby picked it up????????

That's exactly what it means. Mom says it so much the baby picked it up. Makes sense to me, even if it's silly. I appreciate that Liberty Mutual is now going for the laugh and has left the woman who's outraged her insurance rates went up "because I tapped a bumper" behind, no longer to be seen. I'm not saying LM always hits the funny bone, but at least being outraged with having your rates go up after an accident trope is gone.

• Like 8
(edited)

I finally saw the ad for "Dude Wipes" with all these men dropping their drawers. If that isn't head scratching enough, the whole concept of "Dudes" needing a special product also leaves me wondering - why? At first, I thought it was toilet paper made for men (again why?), but then found out they are moistened towelettes. I don't see how that is different than the same products that, for example, Cottonelle makes. During the great toilet paper shortage of 4 years ago, I looked into them as an alternative to tp. They say they are flushable, but I'm skeptical. We are on a septic system and are not to flush anything but toilet paper and waste. The ad does not shed any light on why this product, aimed at men, exists.

Edited by chessiegal
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I finally saw the ad for "Dude Wipes" with all these men dropping their drawers. If that isn't head scratching enough, the whole concept of "Dudes" needing a special product also leaves me wondering - why? At first, I thought it was toilet paper made for men (again why?), but then found out they are moistened towelettes. I don't see how that is different than the same products that, for example, Cottonelle makes. During the great toilet paper shortage of 4 years ago, I looked into them as an alternative to tp. They say they are flushable, but I'm skeptical. We are on a sceptic system and are not to flush anything but toilet paper and waste. The ad does not shed any light on why this product, aimed at men, exists.

I'm guessing they're bigger?  I have a package of store-brand, and they're pretty small.  Didn't there used to be "man-sized" Kleenex or something similar?

As for flushability, my package says "flushable" on the front with an asterisk, but on the back has a whole list of conditions when they really aren't.  And whenever I get my water bill, there's an insert that reminds me that "flushable" wipes really aren't.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

. I don't see how that is different than the same products that, for example, Cottonelle makes. <...>The ad does not shed any light on why this product, aimed at men, exists.

Like a lot of these "man" products, it's just marketing; there's no difference. They're trying to get more customers.

• Like 7
On 3/19/2024 at 2:26 PM, Trini said:

Like a lot of these "man" products, it's just marketing; there's no difference. They're trying to get more customers.

I'm waiting for dude menstrual pads.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 3/19/2024 at 3:26 PM, Trini said:

Oh, but there usually IS a difference.  If  it's made for men, it's usually less expensive than the identical product made for women.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
38 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Oh, but there usually IS a difference.  If  it's made for men, it's usually less expensive than the identical product made for women.

Actually, I think the marketers are onto something here.  Take an everyday product, make it pink - voila! A women's product you can charge more for!  Take an everyday product, make it 10% bigger and take the flowers off the packaging - voila! A dudes' product you can charger more for!

• Like 3
On 3/19/2024 at 1:52 PM, chessiegal said:

They say they are flushable, but I'm skeptical.

They say that but they really aren't, even if you're on public sewer lines.  Just like "flushable" tampons.  They flow through your house sewer line but create clogs outside.

I saw the Dude Wipes commercial and cannot express in English how much it offended me.

21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Take an everyday product, make it pink - voila! A women's product you can charge more for!

They already do that.  Pink women's pens from Bic, for example.

• Like 5

I've been watching this Dawn commercial for what seems like years but only now wondered how the duckling they returned to the pond got in an oil spill. 

• Like 5
On 3/19/2024 at 3:26 PM, Trini said:

Years ago I discovered Kleenex Man Sized Kleenex, the tissues are huge and loved that but they were discontinued (I found some on Ebay and I cannot believe I spent that much for Kleenex), they even changed the name but sadly they are no more.

Man Kleenex, somewhere there is a marketing person saying, "yeah I thought of that."

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

I've been watching this Dawn commercial for what seems like years but only now wondered how the duckling they returned to the pond got in an oil spill. 

The No. 7 moisturizer boat sank on the way from Britain.

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I love Dan Levy, but the commercials for homes.com with him and that annoying lady who looks like a cross between Frank Burns and Tweety Bird need to stop. 

I am confused by those commercials because I thought Jeff Goldbloom was their spokesperson but the name doesn't sound right... 🤔

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I am confused by those commercials because I thought Jeff Goldbloom was their spokesperson but the name doesn't sound right... 🤔

Jeff does Apartments.com

• Like 3

Pepper bras for small boobs: they show a couple of models wearing bras that are too big, and exclaim in outrage that there are gaps! 

This would be like showing models in panties that are too tight and claiming they're bulging over the waistband because the manufacturer is making them 'wrong'.

Why don't these folks just try a different size/style until they find one that fits? 

More power to them for trying this approach for sales (although a quick Google reveals MANY 'small boob bra' companies out there), it just doesn't make much sense to me (side note: I am a 34B with padding).

• Like 3
On 3/26/2024 at 11:00 PM, jennifer6973 said:

Jeff does Apartments.com

Have they expanded their business and changed to homes.com? I suddenly realized there are no weird Jeff Goldbloom commercials playing recently.

1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

Have they expanded their business and changed to homes.com? I suddenly realized there are no weird Jeff Goldbloom commercials playing recently.

No. Apartmenmts.com is a separate business from homes.com.

• Like 2

Looking at iSpot, the only homes.com commercial Jeff Goldblum is in was the Super Bowl commercial that also featured Dan Levy, Heidi Gardner, and Lil Wayne. The rest are for apartments.com.

On 3/30/2024 at 4:59 PM, chessiegal said:

Looking at iSpot, the only homes.com commercial Jeff Goldblum is in was the Super Bowl commercial that also featured Dan Levy, Heidi Gardner, and Lil Wayne. The rest are for apartments.com.

Didn't watch the Super Bowl so I didn't see the commercial.  Is it the one with the giant champagne bottle smashing the window?  Because I don't remember seeing Lil Wayne in that one.

I recently noticed that in those pharmaceutical commercials there is often a disclaimer that states "Actor portrayal. Not a real victim".  Have too many people been harassing the actors for having poopy-butt-itus or something else?🤔

On 3/29/2024 at 9:41 AM, chessiegal said:

No. Apartmenmts.com is a separate business from homes.com.

Funny enough, I saw a new one for Apartments.com this morning! 

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Didn't watch the Super Bowl so I didn't see the commercial.  Is it the one with the giant champagne bottle smashing the window?  Because I don't remember seeing Lil Wayne in that one.

I think that was the Super Bowl commercial. I always think about how lucky they are that no one was in the path of the champagne bottle cork smashing through the office and embedding itself into the wall.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I think that was the Super Bowl commercial. I always think about how lucky they are that no one was in the path of the champagne bottle cork smashing through the office and embedding itself into the wall.

iSpot has it labeled as a Super Bowl ad. As for the huge smashing cork, CGI is fun!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Here's the Super Bowl homes.com ad.

Homes.com Super Bowl 2024 TV Spot, 'Concerns' Featuring Dan Levy, Heidi Gardner, Lil Wayne, Jeff Goldblum

🔒

🔒

Walking into a board meeting for Homes.com late, Dan Levy tries to assuage worries that he's taken over the company from his great uncle as workers sweep in and replace his uncle's picture with his own. He instructs his assistant, played by Heidi Gardner, to play the video, which shows Dan and Heidi creating chaos in a low-flying helicopter. He also announces that they've hired pros like Lil Wayne to provide inside information. As the video finishes, Dan completes the tagline with himself on the video: "We've done your home work." To celebrate, a giant champagne bottle is flown outside the boardroom, the cork smashing through the window. While the rest of the board members look shaken and doubtful, one important member, Jeff Goldblum, says that he loves it.

homes-com-super-bowl-2024-concerns-featuring-dan-levy-heidi-gardner-lil-wayne-jeff-goldblum-small-7.jpg.979812a3039f5919293cb22a39638fe0.jpg

Edited by chessiegal

I honestly don't get the commercial for a Chase credit card where a woman says she started a restaurant when she was eight months pregnant and financed it using a Chase credit card.

Do people really finance businesses this way? Is it a credit card that's different than your basic cc? Cause generally interest rates are pretty high with credit cards and it's not the best thing to only pay the minimum amount due 

• Like 8
22 hours ago, tres bien said:

Do people really finance businesses this way? Is it a credit card that's different than your basic cc? Cause generally interest rates are pretty high with credit cards and it's not the best thing to only pay the minimum amount due 

Just watch any Shark Tank episode & you'll see that they do, some on numerous cards to the max limit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I always think about how lucky they are that no one was in the path of the champagne bottle cork smashing through the office and embedding itself into the wall.

When I worked at a vineyard, we were constantly reminded to use the utmost care when opening champagne bottles because the cork of an improperly opened champagne bottle can be a lethal weapon. 

So, it started with Lume saying everywhere stinks on women, now extended to men.   Now, Dove, Secret, and Old Spice are telling us we stink all over?    I can't believe people are expected to use deodorant all over.   

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

My husband and I were driving Saturday (to see the eclipse) and there was a very graphic ad for Lume on the radio which must have mentioned the smell of your butt cheeks 3 or 4 times. We looked at each other like "do we really need to hear this?"

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

According to Lume no one knew how bad they smelled till they started using Lume and eliminated all their human odor

I'm waiting for Dr Lume to tackle bad breath

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, it started with Lume saying everywhere stinks on women, now extended to men.   Now, Dove, Secret, and Old Spice are telling us we stink all over?    I can't believe people are expected to use deodorant all over.   

Somehow it's the patriarchy telling women that everywhere stinks on us but also use Lume so that everywhere doesn't stink.  Which is it, Dr. Shannon: the patriarchy is making us feel bad about our bodies or our bodies stink????

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Somehow it's the patriarchy telling women that everywhere stinks on us but also use Lume so that everywhere doesn't stink.  Which is it, Dr. Shannon: the patriarchy is making us feel bad about our bodies or our bodies stink????

Lume tells men they stink too - thus Mando. My husband says he would have used a 72-hour deodorant during his backpacking days.  He also said there is no way he's putting deodorant on his butt crack. 🤣

But the industry is selling deodorant, thus trying to convince women they smell everywhere. I can't relate. Unless I've gotten so used to my own stink, I don't smell it anymore, but I don't think so.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4