Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

44 minutes ago, margol29 said:

did that lady in bed with her husband tell him his sandpaper skin is like screwing a cactus?

No.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, margol29 said:

So in that Jergens commercial did that lady in bed with her husband tell him his sandpaper skin is like screwing a cactus? I guess the sensers are letting everything pass these days.

I listened to it and the woman says his rough skin sounds like he is shredding the sheets. First, there is nothing in that ad that even remotely hints at sex. Second, censors for whom? That Jergens gave it a green light? I can't see anything in that ad that the FCC or anyone else would find offensive or off limits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I listened to it and the woman says his rough skin sounds like he is shredding the sheets. First, there is nothing in that ad that even remotely hints at sex. Second, censors for whom? That Jergens gave it a green light? I can't see anything in that ad that the FCC or anyone else would find offensive or off limits.

Frankly, if she had said it was like screwing sandpaper and that if he used Jergens,it would increase his likelihood of getting laid, Jergens would fly off the shelves. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
On 1/20/2024 at 7:55 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hate the Subaru commercial that has the mom talking about how after a crash, it’s assumed everyone will walk away alive, as apparently her husband and daughter did.

What?! Like they would be walking around amidst it all without being looked at by the EMTs?!  Or that the wife/mom would be allowed to go looking?

I got the impression they had been checked by the EMT and judged OK because they're walking away from them. 

• Like 2
On 1/21/2024 at 2:40 PM, margol29 said:

So in that Jergens commercial did that lady in bed with her husband tell him his sandpaper skin is like screwing a cactus? I guess the sensers are letting everything pass these days.

Pretty sure she says it's like spooning a cactus.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Pretty sure she says it's like spooning a cactus.

Absolutely. I would be shocked, shocked, I tell you, if Jergens gave a green light to screwing a cactus.

• LOL 10

Unless they bring back Leslie Mann saying inappropriate things to her daughter.  (Like "sleeping with your dad is like screwing a cactus.")

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

I hate to drag Save The Children ads, but ... there's one spot right now played again and again on MSNBC showing a kid ostensibly from Africa lamenting the severity of the droughts there now.   The other kid they use is a little white girl in a pink winter coat who appears to be from a war-torn country, accompanied by footage that looks like it came from Syria.    The thing is, both these little kids, the one from Africa and the one from probably-Syria, have over-the-top British accents (the little girl in the pink jacket sounds like she's from a road production of Oliver Twist).   The first time I heard her voice-over with the images of buildings on fire, I was like, "What?  Was Liverpool bombed?"   Upon a closer look, you can see that her voice, and that of the other kids in the commercial, have all been dubbed, as the movements of their mouths don't match the words.   I don't know what they were thinking making this child sound like an inmate of Miss Minchin's seminary for young girls.   Or dubbing the spot so amateurishly that it looks like a Godzilla movie.  But it's so distracting that I would think it weakens the message of the commercial.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
7 hours ago, millennium said:

The thing is, both these little kids, the one from Africa and the one from probably-Syria, have over-the-top British accents (the little girl in the pink jacket sounds like she's from a road production of Oliver Twist).

oh yeah I noticed that. Finally my husband was in the room when it came on and I asked him to verify that they were doing some weird voice-over. They really need to let the original voice come through at a low level, because otherwise it is really strange. I know exactly what you mean by "was Liverpool bombed?" :) 

• Like 2

I noticed a puzzling Wells Garfo commercial back in circulation in which a bunch of kids make drone robots which climb up the side of a tall skyscraper, depositing small LED lights that are them illuminated to make a light show. Every time I watch it, I wonder how the owners of the building feel about their vandalism. (OK, that might be a strong word, but did they get permission and how did they remove them from the side of that building?)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

I noticed a puzzling Wells Garfo commercial back in circulation in which a bunch of kids make drone robots which climb up the side of a tall skyscraper, depositing small LED lights that are them illuminated to make a light show. Every time I watch it, I wonder how the owners of the building feel about their vandalism. (OK, that might be a strong word, but did they get permission and how did they remove them from the side of that building?)

Perhaps it's a Wells Fargo building?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

When I see this ad, I am amused at myself for thinking - Get your filthy shoes off the kitchen counter! 🤣

Who does he think he is, Bobby Flay? 😀

• LOL 5
On 1/25/2024 at 1:57 AM, Gharlane said:

Watching those things climb up the side of the building is nightmare inducing. 

• Like 1

Okay, about 40 years ago (not an exaggeration) there was this really annoying song that inexplicably became a hit. Something Something Quackadero or Trucadero or some damned thing. It was played all the time and annoyed the hell out of me. Now all of a sudden I've heard it in not one but two unrelated commercials in recent weeks. What is going on? 

• Mind Blown 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Christina is also selling some kind of device that disperses scents. She must have a helluva an agent.

I saw a commercial for a woman from a "Real Housewife" franchise selling her perfume called "Flies". I wasn't paying a lot of attention to it but that made my ears perk up! 😲

• LOL 5
35 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I saw a commercial for a woman from a "Real Housewife" franchise selling her perfume called "Flies". I wasn't paying a lot of attention to it but that made my ears perk up! 😲

Lisa Hochstein from Miami, her partnership with that Aroma 360 company is a perfume named Fly, I too think of Flies. 

• LOL 2

I've been dying to mention this commercial from Comcast that started playing the day this site went down for a week of maintenance! I'm not sure what the commercial is for, exactly, but there's a line about becoming a bullfighter, accompanied by footage of a rodeo clown that boggles my mind and distracts me from the rest of the commercial. 

On 1/24/2024 at 9:03 PM, millennium said:

I hate to drag Save The Children ads, but ... there's one spot right now played again and again on MSNBC showing a kid ostensibly from Africa lamenting the severity of the droughts there now.   The other kid they use is a little white girl in a pink winter coat who appears to be from a war-torn country, accompanied by footage that looks like it came from Syria.    The thing is, both these little kids, the one from Africa and the one from probably-Syria, have over-the-top British accents (the little girl in the pink jacket sounds like she's from a road production of Oliver Twist).   The first time I heard her voice-over with the images of buildings on fire, I was like, "What?  Was Liverpool bombed?"  

I noticed that a new version of this ad has them speaking in their native language, with captions underneath. So much better! (Except I guess for people who have their eyes on their phone rather than the TV screen) Maybe they got feedback about the weird English accents.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I noticed that a new version of this ad has them speaking in their native language, with captions underneath. So much better! (Except I guess for people who have their eyes on their phone rather than the TV screen) Maybe they got feedback about the weird English accents.

"Please sir, I want some more ..."

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Treasure Cave Blue Cheese commercials? It's weird and creepy.

The man at the piano looks very much like John Waters.  I have to think that's on purpose.  It definitely adds to the weirdness factor.

John_Waters_2014_(cropped).jpg

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, cynicat said:

The man at the piano looks very much like John Waters.  I have to think that's on purpose.  It definitely adds to the weirdness factor.

John_Waters_2014_(cropped).jpg

That song sounds like the song from Dirty Dancing when the guests had that end of the season talent show and sang at the end of the show.  The Baltimore girl in me is thrilled at anyone knowing John Waters!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

I keep seeing this Amazon ad for one of their "small businesses" that you can buy from on their site. It's for someone who makes cocktail garnishes (and I don't really pay attention but I gather Amazon helped her expand her business). Anyway, they seem to be dehydrated citrus slices.

Now I have never in my life seen dehydrated citrus slices as a cocktail garnish. Aren't garnishes typically fresh? Mint leaves, lemon rind, cherries or jalepenos, etc.?

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, dleighg said:

in the consumer cellular ad with the golfers and Ted Dansen, why does Ted say "Birds" at the end when the guy sinks the shot?

He is cueing the birds to fly from the trees in the background.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, dleighg said:

I keep seeing this Amazon ad for one of their "small businesses" that you can buy from on their site. It's for someone who makes cocktail garnishes (and I don't really pay attention but I gather Amazon helped her expand her business). Anyway, they seem to be dehydrated citrus slices.

Now I have never in my life seen dehydrated citrus slices as a cocktail garnish. Aren't garnishes typically fresh? Mint leaves, lemon rind, cherries or jalepenos, etc.?

I didn't notice they were dehydrated and wondered how they kept sliced fruit from losing their freshness, then I wondered why anyone wouldn't slice them themselves.🤔

• Like 2
15 hours ago, dleighg said:

in the consumer cellular ad with the golfers and Ted Dansen, why does Ted say "Birds" at the end when the guy sinks the shot?

Yeah, that confuses me too. The first commercial in this series was about snowbirds, so I was guessing they are trying to appeal to boomers, but not all boomers can afford a second home in a warm climate. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, that confuses me too. The first commercial in this series was about snowbirds, so I was guessing they are trying to appeal to boomers, but not all boomers can afford a second home in a warm climate. 

Watch the birds in the trees in the background.  When Ted says "Birds.", they all fly.  He's cueing the birds to fly.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Watch the birds in the trees in the background.  When Ted says "Birds.", they all fly.  He's cueing the birds to fly

I get that. But what does it prove? What does it have to do with cell phones? Or golf?

24 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I get that. But what does it prove? What does it have to do with cell phones? Or golf?

Nothing at all.  Just like the guy making the putt in that obtuse way has nothing to do with cell phones.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

It's meta.

He knows he's in a commercial. 

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I love those commercials. I keep telling my husband we need to find somewhere that sells that cheese.

I looked (via the Insta-Cart website) in Publix, Aldi, Sprouts, & Kroger. Kroger has tubs of Bleu cheese and Gorgonzola.  I remember my Nana buying it when I was a kid - it was a round cheese, wrapped in foil. Now it comes crumbled in plastic tubs.

ETA: Amazon's got it for $5.99 a tub.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I know it's been a couple of years now but why is Ben Affleck shilling for Dunkin Donuts? Did he lose a bet or something?

I thought someone upthread said Ben loves Dunkin' and wanted to do the commercial.

• Like 3

I thought it was pretty well known that Ben Affleck loved Dunkin' but I'd like to see someone else in the commercial--maybe Matt should take over. 

I'm Krispy Kreme all the way.  Dunkin' donuts taste like crap.   

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I thought it was pretty well known that Ben Affleck loved Dunkin' but I'd like to see someone else in the commercial--maybe Matt should take over. 

I'm Krispy Kreme all the way.  Dunkin' donuts taste like crap.   

Be careful what you wish for, or we could get Ben's brother cleaning up his SNL sketch or joining his brother and Tommy.

I only like Krispy Kreme when that hot donut sign is lit.  Not a huge fan of Dunkin's donuts, but their coffee is my favorite drive thru option.

• Like 1