Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Be careful what you wish for, or we could get Ben's brother cleaning up his SNL sketch or joining his brother and Tommy.

I thought Casey Affleck was hilarious in that SNL sketch!  🤣

Much funnier than his brother.

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I thought it was pretty well known that Ben Affleck loved Dunkin' but I'd like to see someone else in the commercial--maybe Matt should take over. 

I'm Krispy Kreme all the way.  Dunkin' donuts taste like crap.   

That's because they usually don't make them in the store. Several stores share a facility to make them or orders them from a hub location. 

Who all was in the commercial beside Ben and Matt? I am terrible at recognizing faces.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Who all was in the commercial beside Ben and Matt? I am terrible at recognizing faces.

Jennifer Lopez and Tom Brady were in it.  There was also a rapper I recognized but can't remember his name.

• Like 1
(edited)

So I've seen this ad for Otezla (I think) for plaque psoriasis about a zillion times, but for the first time I wondered: Why is Ted, who is having a date with a much cuter woman, going to a movie, not talking to her at all, and then lightly hugging her and saying goodbye at the end? Is that a normal first date? Wouldn't you go for a coffee afterward to chat? I mean, how do you get any kind of vibe whether this person is of interest to you by going to a movie?

I mean, my first date with my husband *was* a movie (a french language movie because I hinted at it saying I was taking french at the time and....) but we went to a coffee shop afterward to, you know, talk about it.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
9 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

That commercial confuses me, too.  Was that the end?  Were they never going to see each other again?

Yes, she was indeed dumping him because of his invisible plaque psoriasis. The old lady winking at him doesn't mind it; she wants to get it on with Ted.

• LOL 15

Not sure if this is the right thread, but is anyone else scratching their heads over the (can't remember the brand) cereal touting itself as a replacement for dinner? It shows a family discussing what to have, and after they decide on cereal, a chicken in the pantry says 'I guess I'll just marinate in here' (or something).

I guess this makes me a little sad, too, if it's suggesting that cereal is what they can afford? Or are the parents just lazy?

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but is anyone else scratching their heads over the (can't remember the brand) cereal touting itself as a replacement for dinner? It shows a family discussing what to have, and after they decide on cereal, a chicken in the pantry says 'I guess I'll just marinate in here' (or something).

I guess this makes me a little sad, too, if it's suggesting that cereal is what they can afford? Or are the parents just lazy?

Was the father Jerry Seinfeld?

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Have you seriously never had cereal for dinner just because you couldn't think of anything else that sounded good?

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Have you seriously never had cereal for dinner just because you couldn't think of anything else that sounded good?

Or got home late and didn't feel like cooking anything.

• Like 10
On 2/15/2024 at 3:51 PM, dleighg said:

So I've seen this ad for Otezla (I think) for plaque psoriasis about a zillion times, but for the first time I wondered: Why is Ted, who is having a date with a much cuter woman, going to a movie, not talking to her at all, and then lightly hugging her and saying goodbye at the end? Is that a normal first date? Wouldn't you go for a coffee afterward to chat? I mean, how do you get any kind of vibe whether this person is of interest to you by going to a movie?

Is that the one where they freeze frame a bunch of people in the movie theatre?  If so, what confuses me is why one woman is touching up her lipstick.  It seems to be set in the midst of the film, so it's not as if it wore off while she was eating/drinking and now she's about to leave so wants to reapply before the lights come on.  Maybe it's because I don't wear make-up at all, but it seems an odd time to get out your compact mirror and put on some lipstick.  Maybe the movie is boring her and, hey, at least she's not making her phone light up, so I don't know why I fixate on her every time I see the commercial, but I do.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I'd have cereal too if they're keeping chicken in the pantry!

6 hours ago, dleighg said:

yeah that's the ad. There's also a guy falling asleep on his companion's shoulder. It's weird all around.

I sure hope they know each other! 

• Like 5
On 2/17/2024 at 6:45 PM, dleighg said:

yeah that's the ad. There's also a guy falling asleep on his companion's shoulder. It's weird all around.

Yes, some people are falling asleep while others are scared silly.

• Like 1

I want to know why Xfinity thinks a rodeo clown is a bull fighter, there are they as a safety net to divert the bulls attention,  couldn't they have gotten a clip of an actual matador?

OMG, I saw that commercial this morning and was wondering the same thing! 

Okay, the ad for the car (Audi, maybe?) where the mom is having the son cycle through the different headlight settings.  How in the world is that a selling point?  I just want my car to work without me doing extra homework after I buy it. 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, the ad for the car (Audi, maybe?) where the mom is having the son cycle through the different headlight settings.  How in the world is that a selling point?  I just want my car to work without me doing extra homework after I buy it

Oh I hate that one. Mostly because the young actor playing her son is an AWFUL actor. He says something like "are we done now?" in what I guess is supposed to be an exasperated tone, but it sounds like he's about to laugh. Or maybe he's supposed to sound like he's about to laugh and he sounds exasperated. Either way, it doesn't sound the least bit authentic.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, the ad for the car (Audi, maybe?) where the mom is having the son cycle through the different headlight settings.  How in the world is that a selling point?  I just want my car to work without me doing extra homework after I buy it. 

I can see that being a feature if you live out in the boonies and have to traverse winding roads at night.  But, one would think you would test all those settings at night.

• Like 2
On 2/14/2024 at 4:46 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I only like Krispy Kreme when that hot donut sign is lit.  Not a huge fan of Dunkin's donuts, but their coffee is my favorite drive thru option.

Krispy Kreme donuts taste like lard to me.  I really don't like them.

I do like the Dunkin commercials with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon.

On 2/17/2024 at 6:50 PM, Bastet said:

Is that the one where they freeze frame a bunch of people in the movie theatre?  If so, what confuses me is why one woman is touching up her lipstick.  It seems to be set in the midst of the film, so it's not as if it wore off while she was eating/drinking and now she's about to leave so wants to reapply before the lights come on.  Maybe it's because I don't wear make-up at all, but it seems an odd time to get out your compact mirror and put on some lipstick.  Maybe the movie is boring her and, hey, at least she's not making her phone light up, so I don't know why I fixate on her every time I see the commercial, but I do.

I wonder how she can see to do it.  I guess the movie theater left the lights on?

• Like 1
On 2/17/2024 at 12:47 PM, Shrek said:

I have seriously never had cereal for dinner for any reason. I don't have it in the house and it's seriously expensive as someone else pointed out.

I also raised a kid who throws fits at the idea of breakfast for dinner, and there were times when pancakes sounded real good, but no.....

But my head scratching commercial is the one for Kay's jewelers that plays incessantly on HGTV.  Young man proposes to young woman who says yes and young man puts a ring on it.  The ring is loose.  She then flips them both into a swimming pool the better to watch her diaphanous robes flow about.

The whole time I'm worried about her ring falling off into the pool.  Every.single.time.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 2/17/2024 at 10:31 AM, sempervivum said:

On 2/17/2024 at 2:47 PM, Shrek said:

On 2/22/2024 at 4:55 PM, meep.meep said:

I have seriously never had cereal for dinner for any reason. I don't have it in the house and it's seriously expensive as someone else pointed out.

I also raised a kid who throws fits at the idea of breakfast for dinner, and there were times when pancakes sounded real good, but no.....

Add me to the minority who has never considered cereal for dinner. I like cereal, and sometimes have it for breakfast. But, it's strictly a breakfast food or snack (Eggs, bacon, and pancakes are a different story). If I wanted a quick, low effort dinner, I'd sooner make a sandwich and have some fruit.

• Like 2

I keep seeing ads for various products being pitched by Billy Mays...who died in 2009.  I don't know if it's just old footage or they're using AI or something, but it definitely creeps me out!

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I keep seeing ads for various products being pitched by Billy Mays...who died in 2009.  I don't know if it's just old footage or they're using AI or something, but it definitely creeps me out!

Hi, I'm Billy Mays with a message from the dead...

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
11 hours ago, InDueTime said:

If I wanted a quick, low effort dinner, I'd sooner make a sandwich and have some fruit.

Sometimes it's just too much effort to make a sandwich.  Much easier to open a box, get a bowl, pour the cereal, pour the milk and be done with it. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Sometimes it's just too much effort to make a sandwich.  Much easier to open a box, get a bowl, pour the cereal, pour the milk and be done with it. 

Back in the early 2000s (I believe) cereal restaurants sprang up all over. So when it was too much effort to pour cereal and milk in a bowl, you could go to one of those.  Not sure if they are still around.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I haven't seen any of those, but yikes.  What's next, a commercial with him and Jimmy Dean together from the great beyond?

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I haven't seen any of those, but yikes.  What's next, a commercial with him and Jimmy Dean together from the great beyond?

Along with Col. Sanders and Elizabeth Taylor. Maybe an idea for the next "Walking Dead" series?

• LOL 9
(edited)

In the new CeraVa commercials featuring Michael Cera in weird creepy commercials, it really bugs me how the black woman in the audience's eye look. I guess she's going for "awkward embarrassment", but her expression looks like "please don't beat me".

Edited by Gharlane

Amazon has been playing a series of commercials which promote cities in which their distribution centers are. Sorry, but Fall River, MA is not best known for birdwatching. 

• LOL 8

There's a Clorox ad that has me a little befuddled. A man is mopping his bathroom floor, presumably with bleach. Then later a woman and a child are exiting the bathroom. A toilet flushing can be heard in the background. The woman says to the mopping man, "He almost made it." Is the implication that the child threw up or did he do something else? 

36 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's a Clorox ad that has me a little befuddled. A man is mopping his bathroom floor, presumably with bleach. Then later a woman and a child are exiting the bathroom. A toilet flushing can be heard in the background. The woman says to the mopping man, "He almost made it." Is the implication that the child threw up or did he do something else? 

I would guess the boy peed himself (and the floor).

• Like 4
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

That reminds me of one I saw in the past. I assumed he crapped on the floor. but shouldn't he be mopping the floor with bleach after the mother and child leave the bathroom?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

but shouldn't he be mopping the floor with bleach after the mother and child leave the bathroom?

Judging by his face at the end, yes, he's about to do it again.  When we see him cleaning, it's during the day and he's in regular clothes.  When the mom and kid come out and she says the kid almost made it, everyone is in PJs.  So he cleaned up one potty training mishap (or was just routine cleaning), then the kid did it again that night.

• Like 1