Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Why am I supposed to buy from Shutterfly when they have Kris Jenner advertising for them?     That commercial and their choice of spokesperson makes me want to stay far away from that company and their products. 

I agree it's an odd and poor choice of spokesperson. But they have really good products to sell that I have used many times, always happy with the product I got.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Why am I supposed to buy from Shutterfly when they have Kris Jenner advertising for them?     That commercial and their choice of spokesperson makes me want to stay far away from that company and their products. 

Yeah, as if we'd believe she gets things from them with her photos on them. 🙄

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2

There's a Target portraying it as the place to shop for a party.  In one scene a couple is doing dishes at a double sink.  What confuses me is that it looks like both sinks are filled with soapy water.  And the guy washes a dish, leaving it soapy, and places it on the drying area.  Do these folks enjoy dish soap with their food? 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 11
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I mentioned this one earlier.  Love Shutterfly, hate their spokesperson.  Why does Kris pronounce Nana like Nah-nah.  Who says it like that?

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I mentioned this one earlier.  Love Shutterfly, hate their spokesperson.  Why does Kris pronounce Nana like Nah-nah.  Who says it like that?

Pretentious, high-maintenance, no-talent bitches?

(Oops, did I say that out loud?)

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 15
On 11/30/2023 at 1:09 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

There's a Target portraying it as the place to shop for a party.  In one scene a couple is doing dishes at a double sink.  What confuses me is that it looks like both sinks are filled with soapy water.  And the guy washes a dish, leaving it soapy, and places it on the drying area.  Do these folks enjoy dish soap with their food? 

No, that's just all the pre-washing before the load up the dishwasher and use cheap-ass dishwasher detergent.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No, that's just all the pre-washing before the load up the dishwasher and use cheap-ass dishwasher detergent.

Then all that extra soap will bubble up in the dishwasher filling the kitchen with foam.  Hilarity ensues!

Why yes, I have watched too many sitcoms.  Why do you ask? 

• LOL 13

Re the new Cracker Barrel commercial with Dolly Parton: Does anyone truly believe that even she could possibly ride a motorcyle wearing those sky-high stilletto boots? I'm not even sure how she's able to walk across the room in those things!

• Wink 1
19 hours ago, Blergh said:

Re the new Cracker Barrel commercial with Dolly Parton: Does anyone truly believe that even she could possibly ride a motorcyle wearing those sky-high stilletto boots? I'm not even sure how she's able to walk across the room in those things!

I believe she could if she could actually ride a motorcycle, I have seen a few who do it but they are admittedly few & far between.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
19 hours ago, Blergh said:

It's Dolly Parton.  She can do anything. 😃

• Like 8
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Did anyone figure out who these people are?

I looked it up and people were talking about the ad on Reddit. It is Bobbie Gillespie from the band Primal Scream and his sons.
I have never heard of him or his band.

Edited by Shelbie
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 5
13 hours ago, Shelbie said:

I looked it up and people were talking about the ad on Reddit. It is Bobbie Gillespie from the band Primal Scream and his sons.

What are they selling?

On 12/4/2023 at 6:15 PM, Shelbie said:

The name rings a bell, but I haven't heard about that band for decades! 

• Like 2

Why oh why would anyone ever order/purchase Ketel One vodka when it appears its consumer base are greasy druggies, skanky women and perverts hanging out in dirty bars? I certainly have absolutely no desire to buy a bottle based on the commercial currently running. Gross people in gross places.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Red Bridey said:

Why oh why would anyone ever order/purchase Ketel One vodka when it appears its consumer base are greasy druggies, skanky women and perverts hanging out in dirty bars? I certainly have absolutely no desire to buy a bottle based on the commercial currently running. Gross people in gross places.

I always wondered who thought it would be a good idea to have the man on a boat in his bathrobe look like Hugh Hefner.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Red Bridey said:

I don't mind the commercial, but it doesn't tell me why I should buy Ketel One vodka over another brand. I don't know anything about Ketel One, but if I'm going to buy vodka, I'll buy Grey Goose or Absolut.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I don't know anything about Ketel One, but if I'm going to buy vodka, I'll buy Grey Goose or Absolut.

I'd put it between those two; I'll drink any of them, but if asked to rank the three, I'd say Grey Goose, Ketel One, Absolut.

If it's this commercial, which was discussed in this forum when it came out (I can't find a more recent one from a quick search, and I don't see any skanky women or greasy druggies, but <shrug>), at first I thought they were rudely barking out orders (Give me a Ketel One), but once I realized they were describing "Give me a Ketel One and [something]" scenarios that make them happy, I didn't have any problem with it:

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I never noticed it before, but is the second guy catching a dart that was thrown at his neck?

• Like 1
On 12/4/2023 at 6:15 PM, Shelbie said:

I've vaguely heard of the band but not of him.

On 12/6/2023 at 2:01 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't mind the commercial, but it doesn't tell me why I should buy Ketel One vodka over another brand. I don't know anything about Ketel One, but if I'm going to buy vodka, I'll buy Grey Goose or Absolut.

I generally buy Smirnov but if I'm flush with cash, I'll shell out for Stoli.  And this commercial does nothing to change that, although, like you, I don't mind it.

11 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I know there's been discussion about the Speedo dad, but at the end when the guy stands up applauding and she winks at him, does that suggest they're having an affair? 

No. Two different scenarios. The winker isn't part of Speedo scenario. She's giving a talk.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

No. Two different scenarios. The winker isn't part of Speedo scenario. She's giving a talk.

I know there are two different scenarios, but she gives a little wave at the guy standing up applauding and then she winks at the camera, like she's hiding something. 

I just mentioned Speedo dad because I had read more discussion about him.

Edited by Crashcourse

I really don't understand the point of the Huggies commercial, with out of control toddlers running amok.  Especially the one boucing their diapered butt on the father's head.      That doesn't make me reconsider giving Huggies as diaper gifts, because apparently they make your kid run amok.  

A woman who should know (mother of multiple adorable kids) says Pampers are better anyway.    So, for shower gifts I get Pampers.   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Especially the one boucing their diapered butt on the father's head.

That's the one that gets me. In what circumstances does that happen? Why isn't it stopped immediately?

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really don't understand the point of the Huggies commercial, with out of control toddlers running amok.  Especially the one boucing their diapered butt on the father's head.      That doesn't make me reconsider giving Huggies as diaper gifts, because apparently they make your kid run amok.  

A woman who should know (mother of multiple adorable kids) says Pampers are better anyway.    So, for shower gifts I get Pampers.   

We always preferred Huggies because they came in a bag instead of a box.

• Useful 2

Ocean Spray now has a sequel to the cranberry sauce commercial.  This time a woman enlivens a boring party by pouring cranberry juice in the punch, and everyone starts gyrating uncontrollably.  The way she smirks makes it look like she has actually poisoned them though, and to make things weirder, she then drinks a glass of the juice.  (I guess that's supposed to make it seem that the juice is good and isn't murdering everyone.)  I don't blame the little girl for screaming at the end.

Also, I know the perfume commercial with Katy Perry has been mentioned, but I don't remember if there was an explanation for why a man pretends to throw something at her and she looks down at her boobs.  Of course with it being a perfume commercial, there probably is no explanation.

I don't know why I am putting too much thought into the perfume commercial, but now my theory is that the guy is supposed to be Cupid shooting an invisible arrow at Katy or something stupid like that.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added theory about stupid perfume commercial.
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 12/8/2023 at 5:31 PM, Crashcourse said:

I know there's been discussion about the Speedo dad, but at the end when the guy stands up applauding and she winks at him, does that suggest they're having an affair? 

That's her coworker she's waving at and she winks because that's the symbol for the product. Is she the same woman married to speedo Dad?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Gharlane said:

That's her coworker she's waving at and she winks because that's the symbol for the product. Is she the same woman married to speedo Dad?

No. The Speedo guy's wife is a different person. Two completely different scenarios. The woman at the end is giving a talk, waves to man in the audience, then breaks the 4th wall winking at the camera.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Also, I know the perfume commercial with Katy Perry has been mentioned, but I don't remember if there was an explanation for why a man pretends to throw something at her and she looks down at her boobs.  Of course with it being a perfume commercial, there probably is no explanation.

I assumed that whatever he threw landed in her cleavage.

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

No. The Speedo guy's wife is a different person. Two completely different scenarios. The woman at the end is giving a talk, waves to man in the audience, then breaks the 4th wall winking at the camera.

Oh, ok.  They look alike.

• Like 2

A commercial I’ve seen quite a lot lately for a razor: adult son video calls his father while shaving (odd enough, but I get it’s the whole premise of the ad).  But the head-scratching part for me is who wears a clean white crew neck t-shirt and backwards baseball cap while shaving?  I’m guessing the hat is to appeal to a younger demographic but…head scratcher to me, at least.

• LOL 4