Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I love this quote (emphasis mine) from this article.

The shop offers hand-made, super-premium ice cream made from 16 percent butter fat as well as vegan friendly, non-dairy frozen desserts. However, it does not offer therapy for those scarred by the "This is a Special Time" experience.
  • Love 5

It's "Salon Pas", which is French, and should be pronounced "sah-lohn (very soft "n") pah", but they've weirdly started saying "pahz" instead. There was a commercial that ran for a while that had both pronunciations, because that didn't confuse everyone. I don't even recall what the product is--self-adhering heat packs (for injuries or sore muscles) or something like that?

After reading this, I was curious as to 1. why it's spelled as one word if it's supposed to be Salon Pas; 2. what the hell "salon pas" is supposed to mean, because although my French isn't that great, "salon pas" doesn't make any sense to me; and 3. if it's French, why I only ever saw it in Asian groceries until a few years ago, so I looked it up.  Apparently it's Japanese, and I still have no idea what "salonpas" means.  I now wonder why, if "salonpas" is indeed a Japanese word, it's not "Salonpasu."

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1

The product brand name is one word. That was my error in the original post. The way it was first pronounced in the original commercial was a French pronunciation. "Salonpas" doesn't mean anything, as far as I can tell, but "salon pas" could mean several things. "Salon" means, well, salon, like a living room or parlor. "Pas" means not or step, depending upon the context (pas de deux in ballet means, literally, step of two). So, yeah, it means nothing. Maybe it's a surname.

Oh my gosh. What in the fuckity fuck were those commercials??? I have loved ice cream almost since the day I was born, and I believe those ads just put me off it forever. No lie.

They make no sense when you see the sweet little company logo.  

Edited by xls

They make no sense when you see the sweet little company logo.  

Holy crap, I was so traumatized last night when posting I forgot to add, the logo just took it to a whole other level of creepy.

Plus, the name and tagline: "Eat Little Baby's Ice Cream!"

It's no mistake that there's the ever-so-slightest pause before "ice".

I think I was screaming too loudly by the time the tagline was read to hear, but I believe you. 

• Love 2

Plus, the name and tagline: "Eat Little Baby's Ice Cream!"

It's no mistake that there's the ever-so-slightest pause before "ice".

Eat little babies! Ice cream!

I thought it was mayonnaise when I first saw it. 

Plus the whole premise of the ads ('you have no idea how many people wear incontinence underwear') makes no sense from a sales-generation standpoint. You either need them, or you don't. I can't imagine that even the dumbest advertising lemming would say 'wow, everyone is wearing rubber pants? Well, let me rush right out and buy some!'

They're not trying to make people think, "Whoo, I want to wear incontinence underwear like all the cool kids!" They're trying to make people think, "Hey, this embarrassing problem is more common and less obvious to other people than I was afraid it might be. I shouldn't be ashamed about buying a product to address it."

• Love 7

I found possibly the creepiest commercial ever.

These commercials horrified me.  Not only that, they angered me.  In the sense of "I want to throat punch the ad 'genius' who thought these were a brilliant idea" sort of way.  Seriously.  Isn't the point of commercials supposed to attract customers, not send people away screaming in terror? 

They are not smart. They are not interesting. They are not funny. They are just terrible, any way you look at it. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 6

There is a Honda ad with a woman and a dog in a car with air conditioning that only works with the fan on "high". 

The sales girl walks over and refers to the woman as "tight Angie".

Just because a person doesn't want to spend major $$$ to fix an AC system fan in an older car, that makes her a tightwad?

Just seems uncalled for, since the woman is going to have a new car payment for the next few years.

• Love 2

There is a Honda ad with a woman and a dog in a car with air conditioning that only works with the fan on "high". 

The sales girl walks over and refers to the woman as "tight Angie".

Just because a person doesn't want to spend major $$$ to fix an AC system fan in an older car, that makes her a tightwad?

Just seems uncalled for, since the woman is going to have a new car payment for the next few years.

Um yes, not to mention that being called "tight Angie" has more than one interpretation...

• Love 5

They're not trying to make people think, "Whoo, I want to wear incontinence underwear like all the cool kids!" They're trying to make people think, "Hey, this embarrassing problem is more common and less obvious to other people than I was afraid it might be. I shouldn't be ashamed about buying a product to address it."

Its still kind of a weird concept IMO, as the entire premise behind 'underwearnesss' (still hate that word) seems to be to make it obvious, since otherwise why would all those fools be marching down the street with no pants on?

Um yes, not to mention that being called "tight Angie" has more than one interpretation...

Oh good, I'm not the only one whose brain immediately went there.

• Love 2

I guess. But overall the intent of any ad is to generate sales - the typical profit-oriented business isn't spending a ton of money just to make people feel warm and fuzzy about their medical issues. And I would have to assume that, whether they're embarrassed or not, anyone who needs this product is already purchasing it, as not buying it could be potentially way more embarrassing.

That first Little Baby's ad implies that it will make me:

• Spring from activity to activity
  • Love my job
  • Love my life
  • Wink
  • Nod
  • Hug
  • High-five with enthusiasm

Maybe the DEA should be looking into the ingredients of this stuff, 'cause it sounds like there's a Colombian connection there.

Also, their logo is creepy.

• Love 1

These commercials horrified me.  Not only that, they angered me.  In the sense of "I want to throat punch the ad 'genius' who thought these were a brilliant idea" sort of way.  Seriously.  Isn't the point of commercials supposed to attract customers, not send people away screaming in terror? 

They are not smart. They are not interesting. They are not funny. They are just terrible, any way you look at it. 

Holy shit. I have never seen that commercial before, but that is terrifying. And the name, who thought up the name? I really thought they were saying that the ice cream was made out of little babies. I would not buy this product. Ever.

• Love 2

It's "Salon Pas", which is French, and should be pronounced "sah-lohn (very soft "n") pah", but they've weirdly started saying "pahz" instead. There was a commercial that ran for a while that had both pronunciations, because that didn't confuse everyone. I don't even recall what the product is--self-adhering heat packs (for injuries or sore muscles) or something like that?

The first time I heard the ad, I wasn't paying attention and thought "Salon Paws" was for some sort of Lee press-on nails for cats and dogs.

I found possibly the creepiest commercial ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erh2ngRZxs0

Darn you! I had forgotten about seeing that on TWoP!

• Love 1

And the name, who thought up the name?

I used to work for L'eggs Panty Hose, a division of Hanes.  They thought they could sell socks under the L'eggs umbrella and call them "Feet First."  I guess they thought that was cool, y'know...jumping into things feet first.  All I could think of (and I told the marketing genius folks that came to tell us about it) is dead bodies leaving the room feet first. The Genii looked a little uneasy with that, but they went ahead anyway, and the line tanked big time.

• Love 1

I would just like you to know, @xls and @Rick Kitchen, that I will not be sleeping tonight, and its All. Your. Fault.

I sorry. :)

Just saw this Oscar Meyer one and it made me go... O_o

I thought the karaoke part was cute. 

Edited by xls
  • Love 2

Argh - those ice cream stores are apparently close to my old stomping grounds. Now I'm going to have nightmares that some deranged ice cream golem is going to attack me in my sleep the next time I visit Philly.

I can't even imagine how desperate for cash that actor must have been to agree to eat food off of his/her own head [bleah]. Then again, judging from the gaze, he/she is certifiable.

There is some car commercial that I don't get.  The commercial mentions Mia Hamm so I expected the bit would end with her driving the car, but no.  No Mia Hamm driving whatever car they're selling.  So what's the point of mentioning her name?  

Neurochick, not familiar with the ad you're mentioning but often there's a long version and a short version of the same ad. Maybe the one you caught was a short-version and there's a longer one of the same spot that makes more sense? That's a wild guess. Alternately: was there anything about soccer or other athletes in there? Nomar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE3x_I_dCh4

It's a Mazda commercial.  What does it have to do with Mia Hamm?

You would have to listen to the begining of the commercial. It talks about Mia's drive to become excellent and the other qualities that made her great (In the realm of soccer). Qualities which Mazda want you think their car company also uses to build great cars. It is aimed at parents who have have young kids playing soccer, where Mia is still very well known. #SIRA- Soccer Is Ruining America.

You would have to listen to the begining of the commercial. It talks about Mia's drive to become excellent and the other qualities that made her great (In the realm of soccer). Qualities which Mazda want you think their car company also uses to build great cars. It is aimed at parents who have have young kids playing soccer, where Mia is still very well known. #SIRA- Soccer Is Ruining America.

Thank you, but I did listen to the beginning of the commercial.  What's strange to me is I expected to see Mia Hamm DRIVING the Mazda.  When I didn't, I wondered what the point was, I mean they could have used the name of any athlete.

Edited by Neurochick

The current trailer for "This is Where I Leave You" is odd, to say the least. First, it establishes that the movie is about a bunch of siblings forced to spend time together for a week per their dead father's wishes. Then it immediately shows two people making out on "Day 4". I assume that whoever put the trailer together is just sort of an idiot, but every time I do a double-take and think "Really? It took only 4 short days of togetherness for that family to devolve into Flowers in the Attic??" 

• Love 2

I am still trying to determine what the storyline is for that movie. One trailer showed the grown children, with their mother telling them they had to live together for a certain amount of time, but another showed Jason Bateman's character meeting up with someone else in town and ostensibly starting a romance with her after his wife cheated on him with his boss. One had Tina Fey punching somebody, one involved people being rained on or a ceiling leaking or something. I can't tell who are the siblings and who are the spouses/significant others. I'm just confused.

Yeah, that wouldn't fly in my family, either - we don't do ultimatums. They'd be better off forbidding us to visit each other: we'd be all "Oh, hell no. No one is going to tell me when I can see whomever I want."

• Love 4

My reaction to "your father wanted you (grown-ass) kids to spend a week together" would be "so?"

(I actually do get along with my siblings. I just don't put up with coercion.)

Yeah, that wouldn't fly in my family, either - we don't do ultimatums. They'd be better off forbidding us to visit each other: we'd be all "Oh, hell no. No one is going to tell me when I can see whomever I want."

We must all be members of a clan!

• Love 2

The current trailer for "This is Where I Leave You" is odd, to say the least. First, it establishes that the movie is about a bunch of siblings forced to spend time together for a week per their dead father's wishes. Then it immediately shows two people making out on "Day 4". I assume that whoever put the trailer together is just sort of an idiot, but every time I do a double-take and think "Really? It took only 4 short days of togetherness for that family to devolve into Flowers in the Attic??" 

Yes! I have actually attempted to pay more attention to that trailer for this reason, but it hasn't worked. It still just seems like the guy starts making out with his sister. 

There's an office supply store (Staples? office max?)  for back to school stuff.  The line is - who's more excited about school, the moms or the dads?  And they're dong some stupid-ass dance, which I guess mimes pushing a shopping cart and throwing stuff in. 

What i can't figure out  is -  why the "moms"  are women in heels and tight skirts, while the "dads"  are all in cargo shorts and sandals or sneakers?  

• Love 2