Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

"Wafels & Dinges" is a Belgian-themed foodtruck in NY.  Wafels are pretty much self-explanatory; but dinges are apparently all the other dishes they sell.

Okay that should have been muffins and dingus for everyone. So as not to seem discrimatory.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 2

Dinges= "things" in Flemish I'm pretty sure? So the truck is basically waffles and other stuff. So, if the Tina Fey commercial does refer to the truck, she means something like, toppings for everybody. If she's not directly referring to the truck, then it's probably more like "stuff of an indeterminate nature for everybody". Or perhaps "thingamajigs for everybody".

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

I really hate those Sprint commercials. Why is the dad a hamster?! I don't get it.

I use to like those commercials when I thought they were about forming an metaphorical family, from the people you decide to share a cell phone plan with. But now that they are making these people an actual family with a rodent as a parent. It creeps me out. It brings back Richard Gere rumours and the thought that the rodent could be named Sam and the lady who is his wife, really could be enjoy something like that rodent under her skirt while out in public. There is something officially wrong with those commercials now, at least for me.

• Love 2

I really hate those Sprint commercials. Why is the dad a hamster?! I don't get it.

The ads are based on ones in Japan using a talking dog. To quote Sprint's director of advertising, "the animal became a hamster in a plastic ball as the creative team here thought of “mobile” animals". More details can be found here:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article343196/New-Sprint-ads-feature-%E2%80%98Framily%E2%80%99-and-Andrew-Dice-Clay-as-a-talking-hamster.htm

l

In the Dish TV network with the kanga-bunny (?) where they're watching college football at the counter in a diner and talking about "going back to college". At the end some guy walks in and says "Take me with you" and the kanga-bunny whispers something like "the boss"?  Is that what it really said and, if so, what does it mean in this context?  He doesn't look like Springsteen to me.

In the Dish TV network with the kanga-bunny (?) where they're watching college football at the counter in a diner and talking about "going back to college". At the end some guy walks in and says "Take me with you" and the kanga-bunny whispers something like "the boss"?  Is that what it really said and, if so, what does it mean in this context?  He doesn't look like Springsteen to me.

OK, I had to google it. Apparently, the guy is athlete Brian Bosworth, whose nickname is The Boz.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7jD3/dish-network-going-back-to-college-ft-matt-leinart

That commercial is great!  Those three players - Heath Shuler, Matt Leinart and Brian Bosworth ("The Boz") were college superstars who flamed out in the NFL.  To see them poking fun at themselves just made my morning; thanks for posting.

Home Town Buffet tells me that they have "sit-down quality" meals. Presumably because the rapid onset of food poisoning will render me dizzy or unconscious, so I should be sitting down to avoid injury.

The ads are based on ones in Japan using a talking dog.

You only need to say "because Japan" to explain any amount of TV weirdness. Many examples here.

• Love 4

I really don't pay a lot of attention to the tv, especially commercials, just have it on for background noise.I only notice this one once today, it was for some kind of Carnation product. Not really sure what they said, but I heard "mix it with breast milk". Maybe "fresh" milk? 

In another one of those "The chorus may be catchy and appropriate for what you are advertising, but the lyrics are totally not." ads, ESPN is running a promo for SEC football featuring the Johnny Cash song The Man Comes Around. 

The song is about the Biblical apocalypse. I know they take their football seriously down there, but. . . .

I was amazed when I first moved to Georgia that people would talk about "sweet milk" - they meant whole milk, as opposed to buttermilk.  And the more I look at it, the sillier the word MILK seems.

I never understood why Ovaltine didn't jump all over that Instant Breakfast crap. When IB first came out, I compared them & Ovaltine had more nutrition & fewer calories & fewer added chemicals than Instant Breakfast and was just as easy to mix.

• Love 2

Home Town Buffet tells me that they have "sit-down quality" meals. Presumably because the rapid onset of food poisoning will render me dizzy or unconscious, so I should be sitting down to avoid injury.

You only need to say "because Japan" to explain any amount of TV weirdness. Many examples here.

Sometimes I think that we in America take ourselves too seriously, while in Japan, they get it, It's only a silly commercial, not a documentary."  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Sometimes I think that we in America take ourselves too seriously, while in Japan, they get it, It's only a silly commercial, not a documentary."

It's the ad guys who are taking things too seriously, trying to be too informative or artistic. Maybe they think that's what it'll take to win a CLIO, but it's all about people remembering what they saw with a positive feeling and that's what humor does. I still remember the NIssan ad where GI Joe hops into a toy Z car to pick up Barbie at her dream house, so it doesn't have to be overt humor. A different spin could make the hamster-dad ads enjoyable instead of a lame attempt at "artistic".

• Love 1

The thing about Japanese culture is that they can make commercials with sexual fetish undertones. They're culture gets it, but outsiders only see cute or slightly strange. Americans should be careful when they remake Japanese commercials.

I kind of still think that. The commercials with the kids annoyingly, sing-songingly asking for "More Ovaltine, please!!" doesn't sit well with my lizard brain.

Edited by bilgistic

Ehh, if the Major League Baseball championship is the World Series and all the teams are in the US (Toronto lost their team to DC - where all sports teams go to die), I ain't getting to het up about a campy restaurtant calling three dishes the "World" of anything.

Ehh, if the Major League Baseball championship is the World Series and all the teams are in the US (Toronto lost their team to DC - where all sports teams go to die)

[nitpick]Toronto's team is still around; it's Montreal that lost their team to DC[/nitpick]

• Love 2

I totally agree about the fake words. Plus the whole premise of the ads ('you have no idea how many people wear incontinence underwear') makes no sense from a sales-generation standpoint. You either need them, or you don't. I can't imagine that even the dumbest advertising lemming would say 'wow, everyone is wearing rubber pants? Well, let me rush right out and buy some!'

• Love 2