Type keyword(s) to search

Megyn Kelly and Fox News Speculation: Where the Talking Hits the Road

Let me explain this to Megyn Kelly in teeny little words so she can sound them out.

The difference between Josh Duggar and President Clinton:

Josh Duggar molested underage (and evidently sleeping) girls who were too young to give consent. Four of those survivors were his sisters. The felony committed was evidently shoved in a drawer and forgotten until the statute of limitations ran out. He is still lying about what happened, and so are his parents. We have no idea if he has or has not molested anyone since.

President Clinton had a consensual affair with a legal adult. Nobody forced her. Nobody forced him. I am not pleased by his behavior. Nothing he did was illegal, however. Immoral, yes. Sleazy, yes. Inadvisable, absolutely. Illegal? Uh, no.

Monica was consensual, but there were allegations of non-consensual conduct.  Whether any were true or not, I certainly don't know, but I'm sure she was referring to those allegations.  The situations are very different, however.  Josh has not denied the statements in the police report, which made it clear that the victims were young children who did not and could not give consent. 

One part of the article:

Kelly also teases her interview with the Duggars, which will air Wednesday.“This isn’t going to be a cross-examination of a family It’s going to be an interview. I want to hear their story,” she said. “And I think America wants to hear their story now.”

They've been telling their story on their TV show for how long now? I don't think they need another venue for that. I think America wants to hear them answer some tough questions.

• Love 9
(edited)

Megyn Kelly sez: “For all you kids watching at home,” Kelly said Wednesday. “Santa just is white, but this person is just arguing that maybe we should also have a black Santa. But Santa is what he is, and just so you know, we’re just debating this because someone wrote about it, kids.”

THAT'S the relative intellect of the interviewer. And that's a teapot tempest ABOUT SANTA CLAUS. Lashing out during on-air debates or discussion does not make one a 'hard-hitting' journalist.

She's already indicated that she'll not conduct an "interrogation of a family." She's said straight up that she believes releasing the police report was wrong. She has a strong track record of knee-jerk, "OMG, LIBERALS!!" reasoning. Expecting that her chat with the Duggars will be anything but a softball FOX ratings coup d'etat is wishful thinking. In fact, I predict that, in the end, her reaction to the Duggars will pale in comparison to her pissy fury over Santa.

ETA: When I was in high school, two little boys went into our garage when no one was home and started a fire. The structure and everything in it was completely destroyed. When the fire department brought the boys to see what damage they had done, one of them pointed at the window that the FD had smashed to help fight the fire and tearfully said, "We didn't break that window!" THAT'S the level of deflection practiced when they start arguing that the police report should never have been released.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 23
(edited)

I can just see this bullshit going down in my mind's eye.  Megyn Kelly asking questions like:

"How has your faith helped you in your crisis?"

"How has adversity brought you together?"

"Do you feel attacked for being Christians?"

"Do you think this is a backlash on conservative values?"

"Tell me what you think about the power of forgiveness?"

"Do you think the government is too quick to interfere in our personal lives?"

"Do you think this is an attack on homeschooling by liberal elites?"

"Do you think this media frenzy is the result of militant feminism?"

Basically her questions will be cues for them to babble their Gothard script and spin this around to being part of the "war" on Christianity and conservatism.  Michelle will do her best dry-eyed cry, as Jim Bob sits there with that vapid smile glued to his fat, red troglodyte face.  The word "incest" will not be used, nor will Blob's death penalty for rape and incest campaign platform be mentioned.  Oh and forget about her bringing up all those hypocritical statements about gays and trans-people being potential molesters. I'm also pretty certain that Matthew 10:22 will be quoted at some point.

I know it's wrong of me, but how I wish the Lord would smite the three of them (Molester, Mullet, Blob) and Bill Gothard. 

Edited by Gianthambeast
  • Love 24

I can just see this bullshit going down in my mind's eye.  Megyn Kelly asking questions like:

"How has your faith helped you in your crisis?"

"How has adversity brought you together?"

"Do you feel attacked for being Christians?"

"Do you think this is a backlash on conservative values?"

"Tell me what you think about the power of forgiveness?"

"Do you think the government is too quick to interfere in our personal lives?"

"Do you think this is an attack on homeschooling by liberal elites?"

"Do you think this media frenzy is the result of militant feminism?"

This sounds so accurate.

• Love 13

They've been telling their story on their TV show for how long now? I don't think they need another venue for that. I think America wants to hear them answer some tough questions.

If TLC made it a condition to getting the show back, I wonder if Boob & Me-chelle - and Josh - would actually sit down for an hour with Lester Holt, or Maria Shriver, or Diane Sawyer, or any serious journalist, for a real interview. Live, no pre-approved questions, no $$ for video or photos, no editing rights - nothing. Every atom in my brain is screaming "No way! Are you nuts?" But at the same time, I do wonder if Boob could resist the temptation...

• Love 6

If TLC made it a condition to getting the show back, I wonder if Boob & Me-chelle - and Josh - would actually sit down for an hour with Lester Holt, or Maria Shriver, or Diane Sawyer, or any serious journalist, for a real interview. Live, no pre-approved questions, no $$ for video or photos, no editing rights - nothing. Every atom in my brain is screaming "No way! Are you nuts?" But at the same time, I do wonder if Boob could resist the temptation...

I wish Lisa Ling would interview them.  No way she'd play softball. 

• Love 9

Just watched the clip of Megyn Kelly and all I can say is she is so twisted. Even if what she said about Clinton were true, two wrongs don't make a right. But what did I expect from a "journalist" who relies on logical fallacies, half truths, and propaganda. She really pisses me off.

I'm asking this as someone who's refusing to watch. What does Clinton have to do with it besides the fact he's from MO. I'm pretty sure he didn't try to bonk his sister. 

• Love 8

I wish Lisa Ling would interview them.  No way she'd play softball. 

They'd never sit down for a real interview with an unbiased/unaffiliated journalist.

Watching Fox News/Kelly File now, and they're disparaging whoever leaked the sealed report, instead of Josh and what he did. I may pop a vein if I watch the real interview and they are sympathetic to him.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sadly, I really think she is going to play up it up as backlash from liberals and anti Christians. The reason she will do this so she can get people to believe that if they are upset with the Duggars then they are Christian hating liberals. I truly believe the plan is to tell people why they are wrong to feel as they do in a very calculated and strategic manner. It will work on some people. Not sure why the Duggars are so important to Fox. They supposedly don't even watch tv.

Edited by NoThyme
  • Love 10

MSNBC is not Fox News for liberals.  Fox News has a history of straight out lying and distorting the truth.  MSNBC has a liberal bias on what it reports, but that's different than making up news or lying to your viewers. 

Oh, you mean like that time MSNBC showed footage of a man at an anti-Obamacare rally with a gun on his hip and Contessa Brewer claimed that it raised questions about racial overtones because of these "white people showing up with guns" when in reality the gun-toting man they had videoed was black?  Or when Rachel Maddow aired a segment criticizing the Koch brothers for what she claimed was their involvement in a drug-testing issue in Florida that in reality they were not involved in at all?  Or that time they did a Cinco de Mayo segment while one of the producers paraded around in front of the camera wearing a sombrero, shaking maracas, and drinking tequila?

Of course if the shoe were on the other foot there would be some left-leaning media outlet attempting to run interference, but that's not really the point.  The point is that the media shouldn't be doing that.  If it's not excused for one side, it shouldn't be excused for the other, either.

• Love 3

Sadly, I really think she is going to play up it up as backlash from liberals and anti Christians. The reason she will do this so she can get people to believe that if they are upset with the Duggars then they are Christian hating liberals. I truly believe the plan is to tell people why they are wrong to feel as they do in a very calculated and strategic manner. It will work on some people. Not sure why the Duggars are so important to Fox. They supposedly don't even watch tv.

Fox wants a Republican President; you saw Megyn blow up just by it being hinted that a photo with Josh would be a black mark...this is like the motherload. If they can 'save' the Duggars, it'll be saving the GOP in their eyes. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Let me explain this to Megyn Kelly in teeny little words so she can sound them out.

The difference between Josh Duggar and President Clinton:

Josh Duggar molested underage (and evidently sleeping) girls who were too young to give consent. Four of those survivors were his sisters. The felony committed was evidently shoved in a drawer and forgotten until the statute of limitations ran out. He is still lying about what happened, and so are his parents. We have no idea if he has or has not molested anyone since.

President Clinton had a consensual affair with a legal adult. Nobody forced her. Nobody forced him. I am not pleased by his behavior. Nothing he did was illegal, however. Immoral, yes. Sleazy, yes. Inadvisable, absolutely. Illegal? Uh, no.

But she wasn't really comparing Josh to Clinton. What she was saying was that some pundits are having a fit about all the people Josh had photo ops with and how bad it looks for them, and comparing it to the bazillions of people who've had photo ops with Clinton since the accusations against him. She wasn't (I don't think) saying their "mistakes" were the same; she was saying it couldn't hurt the GOP's to be aligned with Duggar any more than it hurt someone to be aligned with Clinton. Back in the day.

I'm not saying it was a good example, and I'm not defending her. I'm just saying what I heard her say. And either way, her delivery just sucked the big one. Sort of like when she said the line about the media lining up to FEED off this CARCASS. I got the point, but the delivery was just short of scary. I think she spit a little bit.

And I think it would be stellar if Megyn would wear that sleeveless, lowcut motorcycle Mama leather vest for the interview.

Just watched the clip of Megyn Kelly and all I can say is she is so twisted. Even if what she said about Clinton were true, two wrongs don't make a right. But what did I expect from a "journalist" who relies on logical fallacies, half truths, and propaganda. She really pisses me off.

. She IS twisted, no doubt. But she didn't really SAY Clinton "raped"'someone, she said he was accused (and again, was using it in the context of people being harmed by being photo-op'd with Josh). And he was accused, right? I mean, it's SHAMELESS that she pulled that out for reference as the Josh thing is a full-on fire and he has apparently crawled under a rock somewhere like the slimy little bug he is, while Clinton has lived his worst days down, apparently.

She's not going to win with this interview anyway. She spews too much vitriol all the time. I don't like them, the Fox interviewers, because of the way they present - all red in the face, veins popping and the whole "I GOT THIS!!!" attitude. It's like they are being starved in a box somewhere and have to come out with guns blazing to make a point. (Thinking Hunger Games for news anchors). No, you DON'T have to spit and snarl to make me listen. In fact, if you were more reasonable sounding, I might actually hear your point.

I don't like Rachel Maddow at all, not at all, because of the hateful way she presents. But I would do pay per view in a HEARTBEAT if she could interview Josh. I think that would be so sweeeeeet.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 5

On her program tonight, she said several times that this will be the first interview with the Duggar family, so it is possible it will be more than just Boob and Michele participating.

The password is "mistake"

I have to opt out of the drinking game because hangovers are frowned upon at work, and if I take a bite of a cookie I'm gonna end up on. "My 600lb life", so I will be setting up a go fund me account and every time the word "mistake" is used I purpose you to donate a quarter to the account. I will be using these monies to purchase new Apple products, candy and denim skirts.

*disclaimer* this is all said in sarcasm, there will be no go fund me.

• Love 13

Hear that mushroom cloud explosion? That's Josh's head swelling and bursting at Megyn Kelly's putting him and his actions on the same political level as PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES Bill Clinton. 

I don't understand the correlation - Bill screwed around with a whole lot of consenting adult women. Josh molested his unconsenting sisters and another girl. A lot of things can be alleged and insinuated for both of them, but the established facts are just not in the same ballpark.

• Love 13
(edited)

There are actually people who truly believe this and post it on the internet

Thank you all for the dose of sanity after too much time reading the Duggar apologist statements, like this gem on a certain supporter Facebook page that refuses to hear the truth: "it's very unfair for Josh Duggar to keep seeing his photographic image as a grown man plastered with ugly lies and horribly exaggerated accusations."

Fox wants a Republican President; you saw Megyn blow up just by it being hinted that a photo with Josh would be a black mark...this is like the motherload. If they can 'save' the Duggars, it'll be saving the GOP in their eyes. 

If they actually believe that will work, they are stupid.  Distance the GOP from the Duggars to help the GOP. 

Edited by Dawn16
  • Love 2
(edited)

Surprise, surprise. Megyn is handling them with kid gloves. Just once I want a reporter to say "Fuck it" and ask them HARD questions and won't back down until Jim Bob gives a legitimate answer. Whatever happened to leave and cleave? Why can't Smuggar defend himself? He's a grown man and no longer under Jim Bob's authority. I guess when money and Z -list fame are at stake, Jim Bob has to save the day.

I still want to know if Smuggar is still a threat to others. I already know the answer, but would love to hear Jim Bob explain why Smuggar is considered safe around minor children. I would also pay to see a reporter get under Jim Bob's skin enough to where he walks off camera.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 6

Stop bickering about politics.

We will be removing some posts that are off topic.

This thread is for discussion of Megyn Kelly's upcoming interview with the Duggars.

• Love 5

The deflection from Josh's actions/parents' actions onto the fact that the report was released & compromised the victims' privacy is really irking me.

I get that the survivors had a right to privacy and now everyone knows what happened to them. I'm sure that they may be suffering and reliving this once again. Even if the release of the report was illegal, though, the fact remains that no report would have been all over gossip and news sites had Josh not sexually assaulted the girls or the family not be on TV. Josh is still the person who set this into motion (and his parents then agreed to be on TV knowing this was in their closet).

But I feel this BIG focus/deflection on the fact that the survivors were identified is sending the message again that the survivors are in the wrong - as if they should feel ashamed this happened to them. It's as if Fox News and the family are saying (without explicitly saying) that it's worse to be outed as a survivor of sexual assault than to be the person who did the sexual assault or parents who did nothing to address the sexual assaults.

I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense. I'm having a hard time putting it into words.

The Duggars are saying that the liberal media has compromised their daughters privacy...wow...pot meet kettle.

• Love 13

Surprise, surprise. Megyn is handling them with kid gloves. Just once I want a reporter to say "Fuck it" and ask them HARD questions and won't back down until Jim Bob gives a legitimate answer. Whatever happened to leave and cleave? Why can't Smuggar defend himself? He's a grown man and no longer under Jim Bob's authority. I guess when money and Z -list fame are at stake, Jim Bob has to save the day.

They would not give an interview to someone who wouldn’t treat them with kid gloves.

• Love 3

All I want to know is who will get the MUI , mowing under the influence after playing the drinking game.

Woman arrested tonight, wearing a bikini , screaming Nike and blessed in her front yard.

She claimed her name was Dosie Juggars.

Okay, I don't know if anyone has responded to this post but I can't stop laughing  and could not read the remainder of posts.  I pictured all of us going out after the interview - mowing our lawns in a bikini and spouting "blessing blessing blessing"!  OMG  

Thank you for the comic relief!   Dosie Juggars!  LMAO!

• Love 10

Okay, instead of drinking, I'll count the logical fallacies used by both Megyn and the Duggars. I suspect they'll have plenty of them in play. 

Good idea.  At least this way, you will be able to go to work the next day!  :)

• Love 2

By no means did I think this would be a hard hitting interview, or that we would get any real answers,but it's a total cop out to even devote a portion of the interview on the release of the police reports. I don't know the Arkansas laws or legality of it, so I'm not going to argue any of that, but at this point that's not even the issue. For the victims sake I wish this could have not been played out in front of all of America, but for them I hope the positive is they feel the concern and support the majority of us have for them... But if "that report should never have been released" is part of their defense I'm going to lose it.

• Love 4
(edited)

I still want to know if Smuggar is still a threat to others. I already know the answer, but would love to hear Jim Bob explain why Smuggar is considered safe around minor children. I would also pay to see a reporter get under Jim Bob's skin enough to where he walks off camera.

This post made me think, maybe Megyn is playing her cards close to the vest and is saying these things because she knows some Duggars and their immediate family are watching? Dare we hope?

If I've thought of it, maybe a woman with a law degree like Megyn has thought of it, too! Okay, I'm deluded, but there is a chance that I could be right! Yeah, the chance is infinitesimal, but it's something...

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

This post made me think, maybe Megyn is playing her cards close to the vest and is saying these things because she knows some Duggars and their immediate family are watching? Dare we

If I've thought of it, maybe a woman with a law degree like Megyn has thought of it, too! Okay, I'm deluded, but there is a chance that I could be right! Yeah, the chance is infinitesimal, but it's something...

This was exactly my thought process, start to finish, so we are clearly sharing the same delusion.  I really do wish this was true, though. It would be awesome. :)

• Love 7

I watched her on Fox tonight. All she did was scream the entire time about the police report being released and almost ignored the whole incident.

**The second attorney on the show said the FOIA has loop holes that could allow the report to be released and he felt it fell within those loop holes. Also, the chief of police had cleared the release with the town attorney, who gave the ok to release it. She should know that as an attorney. It will be a fluff  interview.

• Love 8

The Duggars are saying that the liberal media has compromised their daughters privacy...wow...pot meet kettle.

The Great and Powerful Oz to Dorothy: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Duggars and their apologists to the viewing public (who have made their home, their world travels, and their bank account a big fat reality): "Pay no attention to the molester behind police report."

• Love 15

It's a misdemeanor charge, and you can't sue someone for the truth. So that isn't likely to happen from the Duggars. But that doesn't mean the report should have been handed over, redacted or not. Or more of it should have been redacted.

This may or may not be true, and I'm sure not pretending I know the legal fine points. But if law enforcement went to the city attorney first to be advised as to the legality of the release of the police report, what went wrong there? If this was an illegal move, then I'd like to know why the sheriff is being targeted and no one seems to be asking why the city attorney got it wrong. And WHAT IF it was a legally sound decision?

• Love 4
(edited)

I think that Megyn is trying to play to both audiences. She's trying to suck the fans in by letting the Duggars have the floor and "tell their story" but she's also trying to get people on Planet Earth who can't possibly excuse this behavior and who want answers.

She's naturally argumentative to the point of being shrill and I don't think I've ever seen her do a terribly passive interview. I don't think she's actually capable of it with someone who disgusts her and I just don't see her being a fan of these people. I'm hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised with her dogging them out....or perhaps like other taped interviews with journalists, it's edited to include talking heads from her and her true opinions or feelings about the interview interspersed.

19 Kids isn't a FOX entity. I don't see how they'd be beholden to softball to the Duggar.

Edited by asuwur
  • Love 1

Read the new rules at the top of the page. Questionable and borderline questionable posts will be hidden or edited at the discretion of the mods. Thank you for your cooperation and patience. Any questions or concerns, please send a PM to one of the mods.

Megyn Kelly sez: “For all you kids watching at home,” Kelly said Wednesday. “Santa just is white, but this person is just arguing that maybe we should also have a black Santa. But Santa is what he is, and just so you know, we’re just debating this because someone wrote about it, kids.”

THAT'S the relative intellect of the interviewer. And that's a teapot tempest ABOUT SANTA CLAUS. Lashing out during on-air debates or discussion does not make one a 'hard-hitting' journalist.

Should we tell her Santa isn't real? Or just let her keep raging about the "correct" race of a fictional character? :-)

She's already indicated that she'll not conduct an "interrogation of a family." She's said straight up that she believes releasing the police report was wrong. She has a strong track record of knee-jerk, "OMG, LIBERALS!!" reasoning. Expecting that her chat with the Duggars will be anything but a softball FOX ratings coup d'etat is wishful thinking. In fact, I predict that, in the end, her reaction to the Duggars will pale in comparison to her pissy fury over Santa.

She was repeating, actually yelling, that the release of the report was illegal. We don't know that. If she's going into this interview with that presumption as her starting position, well. That's just bad lawyering and bad journalism. wtf, Megyn?
  • Love 11

I'm amazed that this interview is going to be televised. I'm utterly disgusted and won't be watching, but I will read here for the recaps. I can't believe the Duggar parents are actually getting paid for this. Even if the interview "goes well" for the Duggars, so to  speak, does anyone think that the show will return? I just can't see that happening, unless they do a couple of specials like Jessa having her baby, maybe a future wedding. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm amazed that this interview is going to be televised. I'm utterly disgusted and won't be watching, but I will read here for the recaps. I can't believe the Duggar parents are actually getting paid for this. Even if the interview "goes well" for the Duggars, so to  speak, does anyone think that the show will return? I just can't see that happening, unless they do a couple of specials like Jessa having her baby, maybe a future wedding. 

I think the interview is precisely part of the plan to try to save the show. I bet it will all be about minimizing Josh's "mistakes" and putting the focus on what a great Christian, but human (not perfect), family they are.

They obviously have fans who are willing to overlook this and will continue watching. I've seen them being quite vocal in some places. the question is, though, how many viewers are less committed to the Duggars and will just be too appalled to keep watching this lie of a show. I hope if they do keep the show it's sort of like how TLC tried to push John and Kate plus 8 past John....and it just didn't work (at the time, I don't know what's up with that now).

Edited by natyxg

I think if I was conservative Christian in America I'd be genuinely offended if someone assumed that because some other conservative Christians acted in a terrible way many years ago I'd automatically be supporting them?! Surely there are religious, republican Christian commentators who have come out against the Duggars as well and want the issue of sexual abuse dealt with fairly?

• Love 7

From what I have read, it appears that JB and J'chelle will have the opportunity to tell "their side of the story" which is unfortunate. It sounds like it is being set up as if there were multiple "sides" to this story. There are no "sides" to this story, there are simply facts that they tried to hide that are now public.

I won't be watching, but I will be interested to hear about how it goes. I think that Megan Kelley wants to give them a platform to defend themselves against the evil liberals who are trying to take some childish pranks out of context and create a scandal where there is none. I don't think, however, that she has actually met JB and J'chelle. I think it's entirely possible that they will rub her the wrong way and the interview will not go as planned (I don't think that she is particularly crazy about controlling, condescending men).

I honestly don't see any way that the show can come back. The fact that TLC has been silent for so long suggests that they want to bring it back after the "child molestation / incest" thing has quieted down. I just can't imagine anyone -- humper or snarker -- wanting to watch these boring people go through their boring lives while knowing that the older girls were victims of abuse, and the parents care more about their reality TV show than their well-being.

• Love 10

From what I have read, it appears that JB and J'chelle will have the opportunity to tell "their side of the story" which is unfortunate. It sounds like it is being set up as if there were multiple "sides" to this story. There are no "sides" to this story, there are simply facts that they tried to hide that are now public.

I won't be watching, but I will be interested to hear about how it goes. I think that Megan Kelley wants to give them a platform to defend themselves against the evil liberals who are trying to take some childish pranks out of context and create a scandal where there is none. I don't think, however, that she has actually met JB and J'chelle. I think it's entirely possible that they will rub her the wrong way and the interview will not go as planned (I don't think that she is particularly crazy about controlling, condescending men).

I honestly don't see any way that the show can come back. The fact that TLC has been silent for so long suggests that they want to bring it back after the "child molestation / incest" thing has quieted down. I just can't imagine anyone -- humper or snarker -- wanting to watch these boring people go through their boring lives while knowing that the older girls were victims of abuse, and the parents care more about their reality TV show than their well-being.

But, do most people know some of the victims were Duggar girls? The few mainstream articles I skimmed through did not say, I think. Perhaps they hope most of the people didn’t catch that and getting rid of Josh would be enough to get rid of the uncomfortable factor.

But she wasn't really comparing Josh to Clinton. What she was saying was that some pundits are having a fit about all the people Josh had photo ops with and how bad it looks for them, and comparing it to the bazillions of people who've had photo ops with Clinton since the accusations against him. She wasn't (I don't think) saying their "mistakes" were the same; she was saying it couldn't hurt the GOP's to be aligned with Duggar any more than it hurt someone to be aligned with Clinton. Back in the day.

I'm not saying it was a good example, and I'm not defending her. I'm just saying what I heard her say. And either way, her delivery just sucked the big one. Sort of like when she said the line about the media lining up to FEED off this CARCASS. I got the point, but the delivery was just short of scary. I think she spit a little bit.

And I think it would be stellar if Megyn would wear that sleeveless, lowcut motorcycle Mama leather vest for the interview.

. She IS twisted, no doubt. But she didn't really SAY Clinton "raped"'someone, she said he was accused (and again, was using it in the context of people being harmed by being photo-op'd with Josh). And he was accused, right? I mean, it's SHAMELESS that she pulled that out for reference as the Josh thing is a full-on fire and he has apparently crawled under a rock somewhere like the slimy little bug he is, while Clinton has lived his worst days down, apparently.

She's not going to win with this interview anyway. She spews too much vitriol all the time. I don't like them, the Fox interviewers, because of the way they present - all red in the face, veins popping and the whole "I GOT THIS!!!" attitude. It's like they are being starved in a box somewhere and have to come out with guns blazing to make a point. (Thinking Hunger Games for news anchors). No, you DON'T have to spit and snarl to make me listen. In fact, if you were more reasonable sounding, I might actually hear your point.

I don't like Rachel Maddow at all, not at all, because of the hateful way she presents. But I would do pay per view in a HEARTBEAT if she could interview Josh. I think that would be so sweeeeeet.

For sure. Rachel interviewing Josh - and just Josh too, no Mommy and Daddy sitting alongside too - would be awesome...

• Love 2

I realize this whole situation has a bunch of talking heads and various ideologies at play here, but in the interest of peaceful coexistence, let's try to keep the political angle to a minimum here. There is already enough to discuss with the actual events at hand.

And in a forum with differing backgrounds, beliefs, and such, it just makes it more pleasant when we stick to the focus at hand instead of making villains out of either side of the political spectrum. (I realize that the media may be playing the politics card, which makes this request tough, but I do think everyone here is smart enough to just keep things respectful.)

Thank you.

• Love 7

Why is half the interview shown today and the other half Friday?

Cynically? So the producers at FOX news can have Thursday to see how the first part of the interview was received by the public and edit the second part accordingly.

• Love 15

Cynically? So the producers at FOX news can have Thursday to see how the first part of the interview was received by the public and edit the second part accordingly.

Not just the Fox producers but TLC and the Duggars as well. TLC is not giving up on the Duggar brand (Josh is done though). TLC needs these two interviews to change the hearts and minds so they can continue their lucrative relationship with the Duggars.

• Love 2
(edited)

Should we tell her Santa isn't real? Or just let her keep raging about the "correct" race of a fictional character? :-)

The irony there was that in the dust up after that story, a lot of people found out for the first time that "St Nick" was actually not white, and neither was Jesus. So if she does circle the wagons now it may not work out the way she hopes it will.

I still have hopes that at some point she's going to realize this is child molestation and react accordingly.

ETA: If you think about it, what she apparently lost it over was not that people were in an uproar over what happened, it was that people were accusing [pretty much the entire high-seeded Presidential lineup] for their party of being associated with Josh because they took pictures with him, as though being associated with Josh is a bad thing. I don't know quite what her point is - that Josh is some random Zelig-like creature who ends up by happenstance shaking hands with politicians? - but it's hardly a ringing defense. It actually sounds more like a distancing tactic. So I maintain that although there will be softballs, she may surprise us in the end.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think that using "Who leaked the police report?" as a smokescreen is a tactic that could easily backfire on Fox/TLC/the Duggars and is one they may come to regret. If I were Jim Bob and Michelle, I wouldn't want to utter the words "police report" on camera any more than I'd want to utter the word "molestation".

A lot of the people who tune into to Fox tonight and Friday will be regular Fox viewers who don't know much about the Duggars or casual "19K&C" viewers who aren't as familiar with the details of the case as we are here. Making a big deal about a mysterious police report that was leaked and then destroyed will make at least some of them curious to find out what's in it. It's available on line and, as we know, it's poorly redacted. Anyone who reads it will learn that: Josh wasn't just "accused" of molestation, he admitted it; it wasn't an isolated incident, but a repeated pattern of abuse that went on for several years; the youngest girl involved was only five years old; most of the girls were his own sisters; and Jim Bob and Michelle didn't "handle it the best way they could", they obstructed justice and sacrificed their daughters to cover up Josh's crimes.

The report is a stick of dynamite that could blow up the Duggars' carefully constructed cover story. Granted, it won't make any difference to the leghumpers, but the Duggars are going to need more than the leghumpers in their corner if they want TLC to keep them on the air.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 14

We are erring on the side of hiding posts.

We also will have some additional mods here because Fox News and the Duggars did not check with the existing mod crew before scheduling these broadcasts. These additional mods have been told to err on the side of hiding.

Please err on the side of not being political, okay?

This is a good group and we have bragged about you to the other mods. Please show them that we're right.

Thanks.

• Love 10

Wow, I hope that if I'm every accused of a crime, that I can have my mommy and daddy do interviews about it and make excuses for me, even though I'm an adult and should answer for my own behavior!!! I'm sure the public would forgive my crime, because my parents are awesome. Why isn't FoxNews interviewing Josh? Interviewing the parents is rediculous, unless the only question is "why did you cover up this crime?"

PS - actually,, if I'm ever accused of a crime, I would hope that my parents would stay out of it and make me answer for my own behavior, like ADULTS should do.

• Love 14

Keep in mind that the evening news broadcasts of all the cable news shows skews heavily older viewers, and Fox oldest of all. I don't think most of them will be racing over to their computers to read the police report for themselves. They will likely believe whatever they are told in the interview. It will be up to Megyn to decide if the police report itself should have been taken originally or not - at least as far as most of her viewership will be concerned. And most, I'm sure, will come away certain it should not have been released.

• Love 1