Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I can imagine how something smelling like nothing would be off-putting.  I don't like drinking water because a lot of the time it tastes like nothing, which I think tastes gross.

But what I really wanted to say was, Febreze One is free of dyes?  It makes it seem like regular Febreze has dyes in it, which I doubt it does, since you're supposed to spray it liberally on all your fabrics.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I suffer because of how nearly every product is now "scented," from trash bags to topical prescription pain cream (fragrances have given me hives, migraines, and nausea my entire life). 

Ditto! Scented trashbags especially are the work of the devil, they make me wheeze.

I used to hate going to work for a week after Christmas, when it seemed that a million customers bathed in their gift perfumes.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, janie jones said:

Febreze One is free of dyes?  It makes it seem like regular Febreze has dyes in it, which I doubt it does, since you're supposed to spray it liberally on all your fabrics.

The "free of dyes" gave me pause too, but I was then quickly distracted and engaged by the depiction of a person crashing through drywall to escape the room "freshener" spray. I'm guessing they were hoping shoppers would confuse "free of dyes" with "fragrance free" and run right out and buy it for friends and relations who are sensitive to the chemical fragrances. I wonder how many family arguments will ensue when the purchasers insist "but it's free of fragrance!" and the sensitive relatives reply, "Oh no, it's not!" 
But I still like the commercial.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure the "free of strong perfumes" part is the one that is supposed to make you think it's fragrance free.  I think the "free of dyes" part is just inserting something to brag about that isn't actually something to brag about.  It's like if a sandwich place bragged about how they use bread.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1

Mom got migraines from perfume so I've never built up a tolerance for it. Which might make me a prime unscented Febreeze customer - if I didn't know the actor's trick of putting vodka in a spray bottle.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just took the pump from the empty Febreze bottle and screwed it onto a cheap bottle of vodka. I added a few drops of lavender essential oil, but I have a poor sense of smell, so it turned out to be meaningless to add the oil.

So you could spray the vodka into your mouth? Or does vodka have some other uses of which I am unfamiliar? 

Most of the time I hate the GEICO commercials,  but the one with the two guys working out in the gym, with one getting bigger and more muscular makes me laugh every time because of the variations of "bro" they work into their conversation with each repetition. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

So you could spray the vodka into your mouth? Or does vodka have some other uses of which I am unfamiliar? 

Unless I am mistaken, @Prevailing Wind is referring to the "actors' trick" @Jamoche referred to above.  If you spray vodka (chosen for its high alcohol content and mild smell) on a piece of clothing you want to deodorize, as the alcohol evaporates it, in simplified terms, takes the odor with it.  It's a common theatre trick; they don't want to dry clean costumes after every performance, but actors sweat under  stage lights, so they spritz the costumes with cheap vodka and the show goes on.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I really like the Navy Federal Credit Union ad campaign.

While the members of our armed services do defend our country, it is also important to remember that they are people. They tell jokes, get married, have children. . .

(Just don't tell my cousin about this post. He's and Army veteran who works for USAA, their competitor.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Just don't tell my cousin about this post. He's and Army veteran who works for USAA, their competitor.

I'm an Air Force veteran and have been a USAA member for more than 30 years, and would never leave, but I like those NFCU ads as well.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I really like the Navy Federal Credit Union ad campaign.

While the members of our armed services do defend our country, it is also important to remember that they are people. They tell jokes, get married, have children. . .

(Just don't tell my cousin about this post. He's and Army veteran who works for USAA, their competitor.)

I am pretty sure I'm ineligible for either of these companies' stuff, but based on the the ad campaigns, I'd 100% choose Navy Federal Credit Union over USAA, whose ads always come off as smug to me, somehow.

• Love 1

I know this is probably 3 million years old, but I love the car commercial where the family is driving across America with the grandfather’s ashes.  The opening scene with the widow talking and holding the urn, to the use of Simon and Garfunkel.  Just so sad, made me rediscover that song and the beauty and sadness in it.

Was it Subaru?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, roseslg said:

I know this is probably 3 million years old, but I love the car commercial where the family is driving across America with the grandfather’s ashes.  The opening scene with the widow talking and holding the urn, to the use of Simon and Garfunkel.  Just so sad, made me rediscover that song and the beauty and sadness in it.

Was it Subaru?

This one?  If so, it's Volkswagen.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2017 at 3:59 PM, friendperidot said:

does the vodka spray thing work on stinky dogs?

I'm curious about this too!  Years ago I sprayed our dog with Febreze, after he'd rolled in something dead.  He was too big for me to bathe by myself and a soapy washrag did nothing to kill the stench.  Boomer lost his hair in the spot that I sprayed.  It grew back, but I felt awful.  The label says "Don't use on pets" -- I hadn't read the label.  I figure enough people used it on cats and dogs that they had to put a warning on the label. 

• Love 3

I actually can't spray anything on the dogs, I use a spray bottle of water as a correction and they run away when I try to spray them, so I wouldn't be able to spray vodka or anything else on them. They need baths and they're too big for me to do by myself without a lot of cooperation.

I like the elephant and pistachios too. Not too crazy about most of the Maytag ads.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:59 PM, friendperidot said:

does the vodka spray thing work on stinky dogs?

Even if it did work, I wouldn't advise spraying anything like that on your dog as it can be at the very least irritating, and at the most, toxic.

On 11/10/2017 at 2:36 PM, ChiCricket said:

Ditto! Scented trashbags especially are the work of the devil, they make me wheeze.

I don't get what the point of scented garbage bags even is. Unless you don't regularly empty your trash, particularly in the kitchen, do you really need the inside of the can to smell like lemons?

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't get what the point of scented garbage bags even is. Unless you don't regularly empty your trash, particularly in the kitchen, do you really need the inside of the can to smell like lemons?

I wonder if there really is a target consumer who believes that they can get their garbage to not stink. That just might be some Olympic-level mental gymnastics right there or at least a diminished sense of smell. But even then that person would be likely to take out the trash more often rather than trying to mask the stench.

Overthinking again, I know.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 3

Scented kitty litter. WTF? Like a scented trash bag, it's not going to cover the smell, it's just going to add to it. Plus cats really hate scented stuff, so that's just encouraging them to find some less smelly place to go.

• Love 8

When I discovered scented cat litter, it smelled like baby powder. Excuse me, MY stuff smells like baby powder. I don't want to encourage the cats to think peeing on BP-scented stuff is OK.  Now, if they made cat litter scented like potting soil...THEN you'd have a scent worth buying for your cats.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Now, if they made cat litter scented like potting soil...THEN you'd have a scent worth buying for your cats.

'cept then they'd be peeing in and killing your potted plants.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, scarletine said:

I love this...the girl's reaction when Dad messes up the first car always makes me giggle. She's so damn cute. 

And when they return to the hardware store she makes sure he buys two kits. . . just in case.

• Love 3
On 11/17/2017 at 5:18 PM, roseslg said:

Was it Subaru?

I adored this commercial. I just realized this family or "family" is part of a longer campaign. I clearly was watching something that Volkswagon sponsored over the weekend because I saw four commercials:

1. The entire family sleeping in the SUV because dad is snoring in the tent.
2. The kids and mom trying to escape bees.
3. Some technology that helps mom avoid hitting people crossing the street.
4. The little girl crossing off Arizona on a map when they drive into New Mexico.

None of them have near the charm of the original ad, though.

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 2
On 11/19/2017 at 5:39 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Years ago, I implemented the system of an indoor & outdoor trash can.  Indoor gets normal trash, outdoor (patio, side of house, etc.) gets the stuff that might rot -- meat scraps, produce leavings, things like that.  Since I generally only had to take out the trash once a week, there were two main bags of kitchen trash.  And, true, the outdoor trash can would get gross sometimes, but that was the point -- it was outside.

I recently had to buy another box of trash bags when I was at the grocery store, and got home only to discover they were scented.  I hate most scented things.  Much like Febreze-type products, they don't cover the odor, they just put their own weird scent on top of it..

• Love 7
On 11/20/2017 at 7:05 PM, scarletine said:

I love this...the girl's reaction when Dad messes up the first car always makes me giggle. She's so damn cute. 

I absolutely adore this commercial. As a woman who's into cars, I love this new wave of car commercials spotlighting girls/women (and there have been so many!). I loved this one was a little girl wanting to win a pinewood derby (which usually makes you think of Boy Scouts) and correcting her dad's mistakes along the way, and not the other way around. <3 

Edited by Rachel81

There is a commercial for Clorox where a family scrubs their kitchen sink sparkiling so they can wash the baby in it and it is now my favorite commercial.

Parents are scrubbing scrubbing scrubbing and at the end, and I can’t remember the exact wording but it was like “you know what you need to do” or somesuch and then the camera lovingly shows a bottle of Clorox.

Why would this commercial be my favorite?  Because after the tag line, my husband says “you’re going to wash the baby with bleach?!?” and that made me laugh so freaking hard.

Thank you, Clorox, for unintentionally making my night.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

There is a commercial for Clorox where a family scrubs their kitchen sink sparkiling so they can wash the baby in it and it is now my favorite commercial.

Parents are scrubbing scrubbing scrubbing and at the end, and I can’t remember the exact wording but it was like “you know what you need to do” or somesuch and then the camera lovingly shows a bottle of Clorox.

Why would this commercial be my favorite?  Because after the tag line, my husband says “you’re going to wash the baby with bleach?!?” and that made me laugh so freaking hard.

Thank you, Clorox, for unintentionally making my night.

That reminds me of my stepdaughter telling us her not yet potty trained toddler pooped in his bath water in the bath tub. Clorox to the rescue! The joys of parenthood.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, seasons said:

Except for the part where the guy looks so strangely at the mom at the washing machine. Not sure why.

That's NFL star Rob Gronkowski. He's a strange guy.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Every time I see the commercial with the sloth playing Pictionary, I am just as amused as I was the first time.

Love this!

"It's, uh, a tandem bicycle."

Lately, I identify with the sloth as my spirit animal. 

• Love 10