Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E21: Louis C.K. / Rihanna

• Start Topic

This might be Kenan's last episode.  I remember before the season started, he said this was his last season.  And then the show quickly issued a press release saying that will be decided "next year".

So I think it is, but it's not definite.  If it is already decided, he really should get a nice send off given his long tenure on the show. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This might be Kenan's last episode. I remember before the season started, he said this was his last season. And then the show quickly issued a press release saying that will be decided "next year".

So I think it is, but it's not definite. If it is already decided, he really should get a nice send off given his long tenure on the show.

I would love for Jason, Bill &/or Fred to return for "What's Up with That?"

The best thing about Louis—an opening monologue. And hopefully an absurd closer.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I realize that Kenan's tenure on the show deserves some kind of recognition, and maybe if/when it actually happens I'll get all verklempt, but I can't get worked up now if he really is leaving. He's overstayed his welcome by at least three years, and I can't say I'd be sorry to see the back of him.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope this means a new episode of Dyke and Fats. Hopefully with CK's Captain/(Chief?) tiptoeing around the issue.

ETA: Some commentary on Keenan. Last year, early on I thought he'd overstayed, but he's been an incredible workhorse these past few seasons that have seen a lot of cast turnover. Very few people can balance the sweet and tough like he can. As good as Taran is in so much of what he does, when he tries to go for the sweet character it really seems put on.

I actually think Pete may be able to fill that role as he gets a bit more talented.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 2

Did Louis CK participate in the Animal Hospital skit before? Because I am having a really easy time picturing him doing it both as a "WTF?" owner and as a "it's dead, move on" hospital worker.

• Love 1

Louie's monologue included a joke about pedophiles about how it must be so awesome for them because they risk everything to be caught...

I nearly threw up...and after a good twenty years of watching SNL, I am out..I'm too old for this "edgy" humor that is really nothing but pushing boundaries and has no respect for human decency.

I wsh Kate McKinnon great success..and hope Bobby Moynahan a great career but this is it for me.

I know it was a Louis CK joke but Lorne still has control..and could have said no if he wanted but he didn't...

I don't think the joke should be edited out because I am against censorship..

I will excersise my wonderful freedom of choice by not watching any new episodes from this point on..Classic ones still appeal but the humor is just not my thing anymore...

• Love 5
(edited)

Not really.  She had very loud backing tracks and was not hiding that fact in the least.  She just added her voice on top of everything, and once in awhile throughout the songs just used her own voice.

Rihanna doesn't do much without being aware of it or by accident in my opinion.  She completely owned all of this much like everything she does in life.

Comparing Rihanna to Ashlee Simpson is like ... comparing Janet Jackson... to some...... other incredibly shitty singer where I cannot even name a fucking song of hers....  My opinion...

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Cold Open: Oh good, sticking the song BEFORE the monologue for once. Hillary Clinton shoehorning herself into the sketch was such a great twist. I said it before, but I'll gladly vote for Hillary if it means these kind of sketches for the next 4-8 years. ESPECIALLY if it means Darrell Hammond keeps popping in as Bill.

"Our parents don't like you."

"Oh...why?"

"They just...don't."

And again, I really love sketches that use the entire cast and this one delivered in spades.

Monologue: Just give Louis CK time to do some jokes and you'd have a damn good monologue. And he didn't disappoint.

The Shoemaker and The Elves: Elves that are into BDSM. Right. According to a story told by the Simpsons crew, Jack Handey wrote a Cobbler & Elves sketch where the Elves make shoes for the cobbler, but the shoes are all crummy and since they used all the materials, the cobbler just sobs because his business is ruined and his family would starve. That sketch sounded MUCH better than this one. But the end of the sketch was really great. I really didn't see that texting survey coming.

Sprint: Louis CK imitating Brenda's voice? That was so freaking great. That this went on for FIVE years? Amazing.

Buy Wood: That was great, ESPECIALLY at how short it was.

WU: Closing credits on ISIS was a great bit. I really liked the Tom Brady bit, but Michael Che's constant breaking ruined his own part of the bit. I love Che, but now I finally see what you guys are talking about with him.

Riblet comes back for the finale!

Vacation: Oh, we've seen this sketch, at least a version with someone else with Jemma right?

Lineup: Actors in a lineup thinking it's an audition is a premise I really liked. I bet some of these cast members have experience with this.

Buy Wood 2: Again, that was great. I really want a screencap of Sad Lumberjack Louis C.K.

Whoops! I Married a Lesbian!: Sometimes I wonder why we need the Kenan wraparounds for a sketch like this. It probably would've been better without it. Although my favorite part was Kenan's delivery of "you can't win."

Well, that wraps up another season and this episode was really hit or miss. Lot of good bits, and some weren't. They didn't even deliver on the results of the texting poll from the shoemaker sketch!

I might be in the minority, but I thought the "Sassy Black Lady voice" skit was kind of funny.  The fake-out at the end was a great payoff.

And I loved the lumberjack commercials.

Kate McKinnon rules this show.  Her manic-to-insane Hilary is great.  Nice to see Darrell Hammond, too.

They still need to get rid of Colin Jost and put Cecily Strong back on Weekend Update.

That thing about the pedophiles was a bit much.  And the racism.  Just be funny, Louie.

• Love 1
(edited)
They still need to get rid of Colin Jost and put Cecily Strong back on Weekend Update.

I liked the Sassy Black Lady sketch too -- they had some timing and cue card reading issues, but I thought it was funny, I mean, it's Leslie.

And Kate McKinnon randomly popping up really made me laugh with her delivery of "I'm just here to buy a charger..."

However, I'm surprised that you point to Colin Jost as the one who needs to be replaced on WU -- I like him!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

That was the best they could come up with for the season finale? The molestation jokes went way too far as well as the black stereotypes. Something seems off with this entire season. Honestly, outside of a select few this cast just isn't very likable.

Oh, and how hard is it to read a cue card? I know sketches are always being rewritten but the flubs in the Sprint sketch were downright embarassing.

• Love 8
(edited)

He really went there, didn't he? I didn't just hallucinate that monologue? Wow. 

I'm always here for Louis C.K.'s real talk on racism & privilege as a rich white guy, but assuming I didn't actually hallucinate jokes about how great pedophilia must feel...that was a comedic bridge too far for me. 

In other news...

• Loved the cold open, and that it seemed to feature every last one of the cast. And Darrell!
  • Gemma made me laugh. Everyone else in that skit, not so much.
  • Colin Jost has won me over.
  • Was this the fewest number of filmed bits in a while? It seemed awfully light on pre-taped material.
  • My favorite skit was the actors-in-a-lineup. It was surprisingly original AND funny.
  • Rihanna: unimpressed.

Overall: a massive meh of a finale.

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 3

That was the best they could come up with for the season finale? The molestation jokes went way too far as well as the black stereotypes. Something seems off with this entire season. Honestly, outside of a select few this cast just isn't very likable.

Oh, and how hard is it to read a cue card? I know sketches are always being rewritten but the flubs in the Sprint sketch were downright embarassing.

I feel the same way. This weak all around. I'm not necessarily offended, but if you're going to do "I'm kind of racist" or molestation jokes, knock them out of the park. I'm not sure I laughed one time. I appreciate the Buy Wood bits but the rest was just flat and seemingly unrehearsed.

This whole season, I've felt like I've had to work to find this stuff funny. The only things I've really loved are the pretaped pieces.

If this is the cast and writing going into next year, watching is going to feel like a chore.

• Love 3

How on earth did that monologue get cleared?  Also considering the Current allegations against him that's a really ballsy choice of subjects

Well, the nation survived the Chris Rock monlog some months back, so I'm guessing we'll get thru this. But yeah, it'll get some attention tonight/tomorrow.

(edited)

At least through Update, that was a damn fast moving show.  The fastest one that I remember in sometime.

Liked that the CO used all the castmembers, and they all did the "Live From" together.  There have been some complaints that this cast doesn't gel like previous casts.  But I think this shows that they do all fit into a collective whole.

I understand that the monologue was too much for some people.  And I couldn't believe they did that Dirty Elves sketch right after it.  Still I would rather the show be "edgy" than not.

Update was the best of the season for me.  I really liked the ISIS credits.  I actually think Colin gets most improved player.  I think  he has come a long way.  And even if he left, I'm pretty sure Cecily wouldn't return to the anchor spot.  I really enjoy Riblet, but I'm still not really sure what to make of him.  Are they deliberately  trolling Che?  It does feel like that to me, and it is very curious to do to someone who has struggled with audience acceptance this year.

The lumberjack commercial was an instant classic.  Brilliant and immediately recognizable to anyone who grew up in the '70s. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Well, the nation survived the Chris Rock monlog some months back, so I'm guessing we'll get thru this. But yeah, it'll get some attention tonight/tomorrow.

Yeah but Chris Rock's monologue was at least funny and insightful.  LCK's was neither. 

This was a very meh finale.  Actually, it was kind of bad. 

I loved Kate and Darryl as Billary Rodham Clinton.  I also liked Kate and Aidy as the lesbians, although I wish we had a return of Dyke and Fats.  My favorite sketch of the night was the actors in the lineup.  That was probably the one sketch that really made me laugh.

• Love 4
(edited)

This was an uneven episode of SNL that felt like it kind of dragged a bit. But the beginning was pretty promising. 

Cold Open: I'm pretty sure every other episode thread, I lodged a complaint about how I was tired of singing monologues and how I'd like to see them go to the Cold Open and giving an example of how much I love "I'm Not Gonna Phone It In Tonight" and their usage of the ensemble. Sounds like someone got the memo for that idea...maybe they peruse these boards since they seem so eager on stealing ideas from other people. Snarkiness aside, I did still like this and then Darrell as Bill was great.

Monologue: Well I hope you all weren't hoping that Louis would end up in the Five Timers Club because I'm pretty sure he's never going to be asked back after this monologue. It's like partway into the bit with the neighborhood pedophile, he realized he made a huge mistake but just decided to say "fuck it" and ran with it. I get what he means but dude...he crossed a line. (Note: I enjoyed everything else about the monologue but that pedophile stuff was too much for me)

Elves: Oh I get it, they're into BDSM. That's totally a buzzword thing isn't it? God this felt kind of lazy except for the end part but that just felt kind of weird. I think I'd be more forgiving of this sketch if they cut to later in the episode what the result was. However this was just bad. Vanessa sounded like her Miley Cyrus voice which really put me off. Also, is it just me or did Louis look a little like Phillip Seymour Hoffman with that wig?

Spring: I actually kind of liked this one. Louis' Brenda voice was funny just because it was coming from him. Then the whole 5 year con he pulled with it and then Brenda tricking him...just the idea that she was so dedicated on exposing him as a fraud was hilarious. I think if they cut to Brenda using her normal voice as she is being called by her mom or something would've been a nice topper. 

Buy Wood: This was short, sweet, to the point and hilarious. Loved Beck's singing and the shot of Louis with the tear in his eye. I love that.

Weekend Update: Okay fine...I kind of like Colin Jost now. Dammit! I loved during the Brady bit when they'd cut to Jost and he'd be like "Awww...thanks" after Tom complimented him. The Pete Davidson bit was just okay. Riblet was the best. Once again, I should be tired of Riblet but for some reason it hasn't gotten there for me yet. Plus I like when he says "jorb" since it makes me think of Coach Z on Homestar Runner. 

Vacation: Why is this back? I honestly don't get it. I mean this is the same couple, right? And Gemma is still the same Gemma? I mean why not have it be about her then? This just feels like they just ran out of ideas or the ideas were too edgy and were cut so they came up with this last second. And was Louis CK supposed to be Canadian? Though I do like the idea of Kenan always attracting the weirdest people. 

Lineup: I knew where this was going from the start. Once again this felt lazy and incomplete. I'm surprised they didn't have Louis' character be the culprit because then this would be the most obvious sketch there ever was. The idea wasn't that bad but the execution was lazy...sounds like a synopsis of SNL this season.

Buy Wood 2: Once again, this was great. Loved it. Quick, to the point, and the execution was spot on. 

Forgotten TV Gems: I like Reese De'What and the inflection of his name was lovely. The sketch itself...I know they were making a point but the point was kind of lazy. Though I liked the idea of how bizarre the idea of lesbians was to the writers. I almost thought they were going to have Louis and Bobby's characters then act gay so that they would make their wives jealous. I'm kind of glad they didn't go that route. I did like the bizarre portrayal of them holding hands and vaccuuming together. And Reese's faces during the in betweens was lovely.

Edited by Bees
  • Love 2

I loved that monologue. Louis CK never fails to make me laugh. Sometimes mixed with shock at saying things that people are going to misconstrue. But I know humor is subjective. I do hope it won't prevent him from being asked back.

• Love 3

It feels like they just Mad Libs their way out of it. Did the writing staff have early summer plan vacations? 

As for this season's theme, I tend to go with the "LOL RACIAL STEREOTYPES, AMIRIGHT?!" stream of thought and then go about it in the laziest way possible because they feel justified in doing so because they have five cast members whom are African-American. That's not how it works. 

It'd be one thing if they were making a point about things that is funny and insightful. That's not what SNL has been doing. They've just been going "LOL RACE, AMIRIGHT?!" which is the laziest kind of humor to me.

Though I kind of liked the Sprint sketch just because of the five year long con. Though I would've loved it if we did find out that she was really normal like that and she was just trying to call out Louis' character because she wanted to make a point.

• Love 2
(edited)

I never remember Vanessa getting so much screentime.  It felt like she was in almost everything tonight.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I would love to see a Norm Macdonald as Letterman cameo.

Was this a thing back in the late 90s?  I saw MacDonald as Letterman on the classic rerun at 10:00 tonight, and had never seen this previously.  Great timing, given that Norm MacDonald broke down while saying goodbye on Dave's show last night. 

Thanks for the media update on Louis CK -- had not known this. 

• Love 1

A lot to like tonight, solid monologue (and I liked how he sold it at the end thanking everyone for bearing with him) the lumberjack skits were great, and the line up was fun. I was glad to see him team up with Kate and Andy again late in the show.

The Rock did pull off the male character in the Jemma skit much better though.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's interesting to see how times change.

When SNL had the infamous Buck Henry "Uncle Roy" sketches 35 years ago, they were designed as sick, grossout material, capitalizing on how disturbing the whole thing was and that Buck Henry, who was something of an older, sedate foil for the cast, was playing it. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. That didn't mean you couldn't handle the unparalleled edginess before you.

Now, when Louis CK has an extended monologue like what he had tonight, it's "edgy" and "controversial" and people who are disturbed by it will be flamed through all eternity by Twitter warriors who are thrilled to see someone standing up to "PC" and "SJW" and various other old and new buzzwords. 

It's just an awkward variation on "shocking" material that is hyped as different but is actually old and tired, which is my general impression of Louis CK any time I see him anyway.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 4

Usually season finales feel like season finales.

But that didn't feel special at all. Not even one celebrity cameo or anything.

Re Darrell Hammond:

25% of me is like: He's been doing that Bill Clinton impression forever. He doesn't even really look like him anymore. (Clinton is skinny now.) So why not pass the impression on to Beck Bennett (I have no idea if Bennett could do a Clinton impression, but he seems like the logical choice.) Maybe Hammong is staying on SNL to somehow stave off Kenan Thompson (12 seasons) breaking his record (14 seasons).

75% of me is like: Yeay, Darrell Hammond is back as Bill Clinton. Yeay!

• Love 1

Rihanna's performances were pretty tired. It looked like she was performing on some low-budget awards show from the late-90s. Like the Vibe Music Awards on UPN or something. It did seem like her "Bitch Better Have My Honey" performance was lipped. She would throw the mic over her heard when her voice was supposed to be saying stuff, and that was weird. "American Oxygen" is...I don't know. It's a Message Song, but I don't know how effective it is. I sort of wish another singer had gotten it -- a better singer that may be recording their 2nd album who's looking for a hit -- because they could've told the story of that song a bit than Rihanna. As a record it might work (even though I find the video more compelling than the record), but I don't think it's well suited for her.

• Love 1

I'd love to see Che replaced next year, he can't manage to not laugh at the jokes and it's really distracting, but would that mean the end of Riblet? I don't want that.

The ending credits pissed me off. Kenan was no where to be seen and Rhiana was literally showing her ass. Kenan gets nothing? I'm assuming he didn't want to be there, but still.

• Love 1

I laughed at the "jalapeno business" joke way more than I should have. My husband and I have been saying it to each other all morning.

I laghed way too much over that one too! I chalked it up to being exhausted and my MS flaring, but maybe it was really just that funny? Jost's delivery of it was kinda perfect. He was like an excited 8 year old telling his teacher a joke, so overly proud of it.

• Love 4

Louis' first time hosting was much better. I didn't find the monologue offensive just because it was designed specifically to offend if that makes sense. It had funny beats but the joke was more "Can you believe I'm making this joke?" versus actual content.

Another comedy show made the "racists will want two tens instead of a twenty" joke earlier this week as well. And they did it better.

I also liked the Gemma skit better when it was the Rock. Louis just can't do that character as well. The other problem I have with it is that Vanessa had the exact same reaction lines as the first one. They literally couldn't come up with anything new for her to say.

Also throw my vote in the ring to get rid of Che in the offseason. I don't like Jost either but he's the lesser of two evils.

Rihanna's performances were pretty tired. It looked like she was performing on some low-budget awards show from the late-90s. Like the Vibe Music Awards on UPN or something. It did seem like her "Bitch Better Have My Honey" performance was lipped. She would throw the mic over her heard when her voice was supposed to be saying stuff, and that was weird. "American Oxygen" is...I don't know. It's a Message Song, but I don't know how effective it is. I sort of wish another singer had gotten it -- a better singer that may be recording their 2nd album who's looking for a hit -- because they could've told the story of that song a bit than Rihanna. As a record it might work (even though I find the video more compelling than the record), but I don't think it's well suited for her.

This! And I got the vibe she tried to be meaningful (with the second song) and just can't pull it off. Never been a fan and these performances certainly didn't change that.

Maybe Hammong is staying on SNL to somehow stave off Kenan Thompson (12 seasons) breaking his record (14 seasons).

But Darrell isn't a part of the cast now, so I don't see how it's about who had the longer tenure.  I think it's simply a matter of him being around to do the announcing anyway, and people always loved that impression.  It's sorta like if Tina showed up to do Palin again.  No harm, no foul.  People love it.

• Love 3
(edited)

During Rihanna's second number, I just kept hearing "Shy Ronnie" in my head. I loved Louis' opening monologue: I am older than him but certainly remember being told to just "stay away" from our neighborhood child molester.

If that was Kenan's last show I will miss him. Even just the way he'd say "De'What" cracked me up.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 1
I loved Louis' opening monologue: I am older than him but certainly remember being told to just "stay away" from our neighborhood child molester.

I remember us kids being told to stay away from our neighborhood child molester, too.  Although they didn't call him a child molester, they just said he was "strange" and never, ever go into his house no matter how much candy he offered us.  We didn't even think about it; we just knew enough to stay away. 

I liked his monologue but was grossed out at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I couldn't understand if Rihanna was singing "Bitch Better Have my Honey" or "Money" but I liked the song. 

• Love 2

I must be a bad person because I laughed OUT LOUD at the monologue.

Loved the Sprint sketch, actually. Can we get Leslie coached to feel more comfortable in sketches, somehow?

I too was hoping for celebrity cameos, I was hoping Seth Meyers would slide in on a chair near the end of WU, but unlike Kristen Wiig, he doesn't feel the need to constantly return to the show.

• Love 5
(edited)

Can someone transcribe Colin Jost's jalapeno business joke for me?

Loved the Sprint sketch, actually. Can we get Leslie coached to feel more comfortable in sketches, somehow?

It was so interesting when she stepped over Louis's line and then backed off and apologized and told him to go ahead, LOL!  So breaking the fourth wall/out of character.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1