Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E21: Louis C.K. / Rihanna

• Start Topic

I'm still waiting to be actually outraged by one of these segments that causes outrage in others. Still hasn't happened yet. Saying molesting a child must be the most awesome thing for them is not shocking. It's reality. A sad one but it's reality. And he wasn't condoning child molestation at all. The Sprint store sketch, was nothing. Leslie Jones talks like that all the time. They were just playing with the notion of someone unlike her keeping that ruse for way too long and getting busted. Nothing offensive for me there either.

• Love 10

I've been a fan of SNL since inception in the 70's when I was in college. Some shows are hysterical, some meh. Some seasons rock, some are just rebuilding with new cast members finding their stride. But this last show of the season? Yuck. I've never been a fan of Louis CK...yes he can be funny as hell. But the interminable time in-between laughs is too much for me. I can laugh about just about anything. I am known for having a "dark" sense of humor and NOT easily offended but this was just awful. Some things are just not funny. Ever. The Holocaust, pedophilia and rape being the top 3 on the list.   I skipped to WU and deleted the rest of the show unseen. From now on, if LCK is on ANY show, I will vote with my feet --or remote as the case may be- and not watch. And I agree! I would LOVE to see more of Leslie-she's wonderful.  

• Love 3

I'm still waiting to be actually outraged by one of these segments that causes outrage in others. Still hasn't happened yet. Saying molesting a child must be the most awesome thing for them is not shocking. It's reality. A sad one but it's reality.

This is actually one of the reasons that I didn't care for the joke - there was nothing clever or insightful about it. Yes, child molesters have a sick compulsion and are willing to ruin their lives for it - duh. Where's the joke?

The other part that I didn't care for is that the studio audience was obviously not into it, LCK clearly got that they weren't feeling it, and he just. kept. going. More skilled (or less socially clueless) performers would have been able to read the crowd and switch gears. Not surprised to hear that he has 'no means no' boundary issues in his personal life, because his felt like the same thing - we were all going to hear this joke whether we wanted to or not.

• Love 9

This is actually one of the reasons that I didn't care for the joke - there was nothing clever or insightful about it. Yes, child molesters have a sick compulsion and are willing to ruin their lives for it - duh. Where's the joke?

The other part that I didn't care for is that the studio audience was obviously not into it, LCK clearly got that they weren't feeling it, and he just. kept. going. More skilled (or less socially clueless) performers would have been able to read the crowd and switch gears. Not surprised to hear that he has 'no means no' boundary issues in his personal life, because his felt like the same thing - we were all going to hear this joke whether we wanted to or not.

Some comedians plow through and some change course. This is a opening monologue not a set at the laugh factory. You basically have to commit. I understand people saying that the set was lazy I'm just not offended by it in the least. But, for a lot of comics, I think they like to look at the dark or twisted side of things. I understand if one doesn't find it funny but I looked at it like this. It's really crazy to sit and think that for some depraved human beings doing a heinous act like that is like Christmas morning for them. It's insane but in their own warped mines, this is the thing they want and need most in life. Just think about how bizarre this is. For Louie, eating a Mars bar is the greatest thing ever. For those people, its...that. Also, your average person has to common sense to stop before you hurt your self (or others) but they just can't. It's more like, just look at this crazy concept more than a joke. A lot of comics do this. They are more talking about life and trying to break things down than trying to drop one liners. Louie more than most.

• Love 4

That's Louis' standup in a nutshell. Just because something has been said before doesn't make it not funny. His skew on subjects is thoughtful, and very biting. I am a Louis devotee.

• Love 4

But Darrell isn't a part of the cast now, so I don't see how it's about who had the longer tenure.  I think it's simply a matter of him being around to do the announcing anyway, and people always loved that impression.  It's sorta like if Tina showed up to do Palin again.  No harm, no foul.  People love it.

I was kidding. Of course he can't stop Kenan's 20-season SNL run.

• Love 1

Some comedians plow through and some change course. This is a opening monologue not a set at the laugh factory. You basically have to commit.

Yep. Plus, love him or hate him, Louis CK is as technically proficient at delivery as any stand-up comic who's ever lived. It's hard to believe a guy like that would just ineptly misread the crowd.

• Love 3
What was up with Rhianna during the good-night?

I don't know. She was being silly, but she was acting like one of those overweight out-of-control teens on Maury. You know how they come out and they're fourteen and they're in a mini-skirt and tank top and they're all like, "YEAH, IMMA HO! IMMA HO! SIT DOWN SOMEWHERE! YOU DON'T ME KNOW! GONE WITH YOUR LIFE AND LET ME DO ME" and then start twerking for no reason.

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved the bit about his girls being like the endless Israel-Palestine conflict. When he told the younger one that overall she has a pretty good life, but sometimes she's going to take a rock to the face, I died.

What was up with Rhianna during the good-night?

I assume that by the good-nights, Rihanna had already started the after party backstage, and was just acting a little silly because she was high.

Edited by Lakewood27

Cold Open: I love seeing the whole cast together, and singing is less annoying when it's not in the monologue. Bless Kate and Darrell, can't wait for at least another season and a half of this.

Monologue: Huh...ok. I really liked the Israel/Palestine stuff, but the child molestation stuff was jut not for me (although I will admit when he started imitating his neighborhood child molester I did laugh a little bit). And I'm...huh...the Gawker article. My default is to take any accusations of sexual assault at face value because I'm a feminist and I realize that one of the main things that keep people from reporting rapes is the fear that they won't be believed. But, like, that article was a hot mess. The whole story looks like it went through seven different sources before it got to them. And Gawker isn't exactly The New York Times. I'm not saying it didn't happen, it very well could have, I don't know Louis CK personally, he could quite easily be a sexual deviant or a perpetrator of sexual assault. But, just, grain of salt. I'll definitely be looking at him funny from now on, at the very least.

The Shoemaker and the Elves: How lame of them to set up the premise where people could, theoretically, text in to say what ending they wanted only for them to never follow up. This is the same show that had the awesome pay-off of "Darrell's House" a few seasons ago, I was really expecting something similar here and was totally let down.

Sprint: Not gonna lie, the five years later thing totally got me. Mostly because I couldn't imagine working such a mind-numbing job for five straight years without jumping in front of a train or something.

Buy Wood Products: I'm not sure that I was totally in on the joke with these but I liked them anyway.

Weekend Update: #RibletForUpdate will be my Summer 2015 mantra. Well, one of them. Seriously, I can't tell if this show is hyper aware of how much people really aren't taking to Michael or if they're totally oblivious. Pete's bit was a huge chunk of meandering nonsense. And Michael's "deflategate" joke bothered me. People have been adding "-gate" to damn near every scandal since Watergate. This is not a new phenomenon.

Gemma: I'm...I'm speechless. I really like Cecily's Gemma character and I was hoping they'd find a way to keep her around but...but this was literally the same sketch from the Rock episode. Like, I'm convinced they whipped that script out, did a little white-out action, and stuck it in the pile for read-through. It really really bothers me. Total bottom of the barrel shit show.

Police Station: This was actually very original and clever. And it was so simple! Sometimes I think they overthink things and make their jobs harder...just do more stuff like this!

Forgotten TV Gems: Kate and Aidy were good, but this was pretty meh all around. I too would have rather seen a sequel to "Dyke and Fats."

Yep, a meh finale to a meh season. For me, it's the writing room that needs shaking up, but there's really no way of telling if Lorne will seriously intervene. This show can be truly spectacular when it wants to be, but it is also extremely self-congratulatory, and I think that sometimes gets in the way of them writing great material. Like I feel like we're just supposed to like the show because it's Saturday Night Live and it's been on for forty years and "cultural touchstone" and "highly influential" and whatever other buzzwords NBC likes to throw around about it. Unfortunately, it is able to coast on it's more glorious moments with the general occasional-watching public, but speaking as someone who tunes in every week, that's just not enough. I continue to remain optimistic because I think the cast is really great but something needs to change.

• Love 2
(edited)

For me, what saved Louis CKs monologue when it got dicey were the responses from the band. The looks ranged from incredulity to shock to "I know I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it". It was pretty fascinating to watch.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 6

I've been a fan of SNL since inception in the 70's when I was in college. Some shows are hysterical, some meh. Some seasons rock, some are just rebuilding with new cast members finding their stride. But this last show of the season? Yuck. I've never been a fan of Louis CK...yes he can be funny as hell. But the interminable time in-between laughs is too much for me. I can laugh about just about anything. I am known for having a "dark" sense of humor and NOT easily offended but this was just awful. Some things are just not funny. Ever. The Holocaust, pedophilia and rape being the top 3 on the list.   I skipped to WU and deleted the rest of the show unseen. From now on, if LCK is on ANY show, I will vote with my feet --or remote as the case may be- and not watch. And I agree! I would LOVE to see more of Leslie-she's wonderful.

yeah, I liked Louis CK when I've seen him before, but the pedophile stuff did not sit well with me. he needs to understand the perspective of his audience. anyone who has been molested as a child, or has had it affect their family, might have difficulty with the way he compared liking sex with kids to liking a candy bar.

I don't think I can watch him again, ever.

• Love 4

Child molesters don't get to have needs that involve harming children, in fact no one truly needs to have their sexual desires fulfilled, especially at the expense of someone else or someone's child. I didn't mind the part of the neighborhood molester, that part was funny, but comparing the experience of raping a child to  something 'awesome' is really disgusting.

I continue to love Kenan, can't help it and was happy to see his Dwight D'What character. I didn't find anything over the top funny but the Buy Wood and Line Up sketches were OK. And I guess I must be the only one who found Riblet funny the first time and then never laughed again. Love Bobby, but Riblet is just kind of silly. I'm finally liking Colin Jost and think he is doing a good job . And are we really going to get some variation of young, stoner Pete every episode? i hope he can graduate to other bits.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Chris Rock monologue earlier in the year bothered me (I don't really remember why at this point), so I completely sympathize with those who were put off by Louis CK's monologue.  I'm not sure why this one didn't bother me as much.  Maybe I'm just being inconsistent.  The stuff reported in the Gawker article bothers me much more, but as someone said upthread, that has to be taken with a grain of salt.  

Episode was OK.  I will say that Colin Jost has grown a lot in the last half of the season and I wouldn't mind seeing him continue on.  He consistently got bigger laughs than Michael Che, who I didn't like on the Daily Show and who I don't like here.  Never understood that hire.

I watched that episode thinking it was Kenan's last episode, and though the Reese DeWhat sketch was his goodbye.  Then I didn't see him during the goodbyes on the show and was wondering what that was all about, and quickly found he out he was sticking around.  I know some people find his schtick tiresome, but to me he has a way of sometimes elevating some otherwise pretty terrible skits.  He makes the filler better, which makes him valuable.

It'll be interesting to see how the show uses Pete Davidson in the future.  I thought his WU segment was interesting because it basically acknowledged his skills are actually pretty limited.  I do think he's funny, but it remains to be seen how well he fits into this show because he hasn't shown much ability to develop characters and I don't think he can continue to just deliver standup bits on WU.

Edited by Mabdul Doobakus
(edited)

I loved that monologue. Louis CK never fails to make me laugh. Sometimes mixed with shock at saying things that people are going to misconstrue. But I know humor is subjective. I do hope it won't prevent him from being asked back.

Humor is definitely subjective. I was almost in tears laughing a the bit about his children as Palestine and Israel.  [younger child] "She hit me with a rock!"  "Yeah, but you have a good life. You get hit with a rock once it a while. It's fine."  [older child] "She burned all of my dolls!" "Look, I can't do anything about it right now. I can't talk to her. She's crazy. You and I will have some lunch, work it out later. I'll give you missile. Whatever you do with it is completely up to you." 

And it was because my perspective is from somebody who has two children about the same age as his, and has one who definitely escalates the problems more than the other, and so I was completely locked into the point of that story and loved every second of it.

Of course, I suppose that if I had family that had been maimed or killed in the fighting between Israel and Palestine, I might have been deeply offended that he made the comparison to their very serious issues and his two children bickering. But probably not. The more absurd the analogy, the more I enjoy it.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 5

Here's a short that got cut.

I think that character is an acquired taste.  From what I understand, the audiences at dress rehearsal run-throughs never respond to him.

I know the monologue joke was wrong. This is SNL, however, and my favorite form of SNL is the one where they do jokes that make me gasp and laugh. And I did at Louie CK's opening.

•My favorite skit was the actors-in-a-lineup. It was surprisingly original AND funny.

I found that the most boring skit. Needy actors being needy. Blech. Figured that appealed to the cast and the NY acting community.

Skipped both of Rihanna's songs.

Found Cecily sexy even when she was playing the "Bubbles!" girl.

Of course, I suppose that if I had family that had been maimed or killed in the fighting between Israel and Palestine, I might have been deeply offended that he made the comparison to their very serious issues and his two children bickering. But probably not. The more absurd the analogy, the more I enjoy it.

I thought that part was funny.   Bizarre, but true comparison, war and siblings fighting.  

But the comparison between wanting to rape a child and wanting a candy bar?  not so much. 

• Love 2

I thought it was one of the better shows this season -- up and down, sure, but not mostly meh, which a lot of them have been.  

I laughed at the monologue (even the pedophile part), because of the juxtaposition of extreme discomfort and absurd truth.  Carlin used to go there a lot.  There aren't many who can hit that balance.  Certainly the gossip item casts a different light on the bit (and others), but I can't believe that anybody would come away thinking the man was pro child molestation.   

Kenan has actually grown on me the past 2-3 years.  I feel that the more they used him, the more he shone.  

Going forward, they need to really take a hard look at the male cast and try to find people who can carry their own against Aidy and Cecily and Kate (and Leslie is coming on strong in recent weeks).  We've had decades of super strong male casts with one or two overworked females.  Now it's the reverse... except instead of relegating the guys to the filler roles, they're still getting equal time and it's dragging things down.  Take Kenan away, and Bobby's carrying the damn male side (with help from Taran, who's hit or miss for me).  I think Jay's capable of more, as shown in his stealing that Cougar Talk Show skit last week.  Does he not write his own stuff so he just ends up taking what's given to him?  Or are they not using the stuff he's writing?  Because he's good when he's on.

I'd love to see his Cougar Talk Show character in his own sketch.   

• Love 1

I think that character is an acquired taste.  From what I understand, the audiences at dress rehearsal run-throughs never respond to him.

You know, that character is an acquired taste, but based on the subject matter, I kind of wished it would've aired.  One, because of the joke-stealing controversy from last week, but two because Louis CK pretty famously accused Dane Cook of stealing jokes from him (and did an episode of Louie on it).  Given that, it makes the sketch even funnier to me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought that part was funny.   Bizarre, but true comparison, war and siblings fighting.  

But the comparison between wanting to rape a child and wanting a candy bar?  not so much.

The latter for me didn't land, and I think part of it was it was absurd, but not absurd enough? I mean, I have a feeling I never would find a pedophile joke funny. I also never find rape jokes funny. But there have been maybe 1 or 2 occasions ever where I understood why someone went there or what they were trying to go for, even if I didn't laugh. And in general I think then if part of the point of the joke is to talk about something horrifying, the comparison needs to be completely extreme. So on the one hand, I hear and see people saying "THAT vs a CANDY BAR, come on!" and yet I think part of the reason it feel flat is candy bar is too mundane a thing to compare to; it sounds like something that was too easy to think of. Also possibly a smidge because candy is sometimes the lure, so it stayed in a generally creepy territory. But with this type of joke, if the intention isn't just plain "can you believe I said that", but to make people laugh at something that would normally make them recoil in horror (or possibly make them do both at once), it has to be a really surprising totally extreme disconnected comparison. And to me, going candy bar wasn't a totally extreme disconnected comparison. It sounded like the first thing he came up with when looking for a "something you like to do but would stop if it'd completely ruin your life and that of others".

As someone said, sometimes when you recognize a joke is bombing, or just the room is turning against you, some comics change gears, some plow through. In this case I think the situation was made worse in that he sort of didn't do either completely. I mean, he did plow through sort of. He kept going. But he also sort of choked on it at one point, and hung a lantern on that when it was done, and I mean, in a small club at midnight working out material, or even just in a club at all, you know, that's part of the process. Live television, while still live and subject to all the comes with "live", is a different animal. His sort of stumbling when it went south made it worse, because to me, there was this one sort of, not panicked, but kind of "oh shit" look on his face, and I immediately wondered if some would interpret his subsequent pushing through in that moment as sort of...being glib about the material he was dealing with. I don't know how he could've done differently, other than having the actual content of the bit being different, or you know, not stumbling at the end. I don't know if there'd be more or less ire if he'd just done it all with a straight face and let it stand. Maybe he would've been judged even more harshly. I can't be sure.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 4

Loved the Cold Open-and the song is on a permanent playback in my head. Kate as Hilary=Gold.

I will continue my support of Kenan, which I began on TWOP-I just like the guy.His facial and physical reactions are priceless and often save a floundering sketch. I also remember back when Betty White hosted-he had a sweetness while working with her that I found very endearing. I'll say it again:
I Just Like The Guy.

Guess I'll be Tom Hanks-cast away on my own island regarding:Michael Che. I really don't mind him-I admit he has stumbled on his jokes a bit too often, but I don't wish for his slow painful demise either. I think he and Jost(whom I am developing a nice little cougar crush on; Seth Meyers, I told you not to leave)have developed a rapport and I'm willing to let him have another year. Because, you know, Lorne cares what I think.

Loved the Sprint sketch-Jay and Leslie's stumbling over the lines a bit was awkward but cute-I'll forgive it because I like Leslie SO much-and I like Jay as a performer, also the way he looks shirtless.

Confession:I haven't watched the CK monologue because I don't like standup for a SNL monologue as a rule. Might go back and watch it before the Internets explode.

Don't leave me, David Letterman!

<sorry..that's been the way I've ended all messages the past few days>

• Love 3

It's interesting that they keep trying with this character, because this is the second pre-taped bit with him to go straight online this season. And it's not exactly like he ever killed during his couple Update walk-ons (it is the same character, right?). *Regina George voice* "Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen."

I'm curious as to how Louis's monologue went over during dress. Because he seemed pretty shocked at how fast it went south at 11:30.

• Love 1

It was so interesting when [Leslie Jones] stepped over Louis's line and then backed off and apologized and told him to go ahead, LOL!  So breaking the fourth wall/out of character.  

You and I saw the same thing, but I think we feel very differently about it. You find it a reason to laugh out loud. I find it a reason to throw up my hands in despair. Leslie Jones has had a whole season to figure out how to stay in character when she's playing a character. Does she deserve any more chances?

• Love 1

For me, yes, because she's one of the funniest on the cast.  I thought she had a weird blank moment where maybe she just respects Louis CK so much she got caught up.

But that's just me!  I understand the annoyance with unprofessionalism -- I hated when Fallon would break in every sketch!

• Love 2
Did anyone else get a Coneheads State Farm commercial in the last half hour? It was actually Jane Curtain and Dan Ackroyd.

Yes, and thanks for mentioning it. I was a little worried I'd dozed off and dreamed it up inside my head.

• Love 4
(edited)

Fair enough. My point about humor, like art, being subjective stands.  I imagine that the families of the the 1,652 children killed in those fights wouldn't think that joke was very funny.  But we don't care enough about them to get in the way of the joke. 

Louis CK did kind of set us up for that, didn't he?  He noted that in the seventies, people were very worried about that fight in the Middle East, but now in 2015 people in America pretty much wave it off as "They never stop fighting. They're dicks."  And a lot of people laughed at that joke, because it was funny.  He also noted that unlike today, people barely cared about the child molester in their neighborhood in the seventies. 

So maybe if he had made the same two jokes 30 years ago, the groaning about what is funny and what isn't funny would have been flipped?  Because humor is subjective. 

If a decent percentage of the people laugh at a joke, or like a song, or enjoy a movie, and I didn't like any of them, I think it would be unfair for me to say that the joke wasn't funny and the movie and song aren't good. It's fair to say that I didn't like them, and it's fair for me to explain why they didn't appeal to me, but I can't see the point in trying to convince people that they shouldn't like something I don't like.  It's not like I'm trying to convince them about math or physics, where there is very likely to be only right and wrong.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 4

I finally watched the monologue and honestly, if Louis had just committed to the joke, it probably would've gone over better.  I'm not saying a pedophile joke is going to land with everyone - certainly not - but if you're going to make the joke, don't half ass it and back off mid-way through the joke.  His little asides of "I'm never going to host again" and his body language clearly showed he was thrown off by the audience reaction, so he backed off and his delivery was more "eh, yeah, it's in poor taste, huh?"  If you can't even show that you're committed to your joke, you can't expect the audience to.  I've seen some of his standup before, and I'm guessing that this joke, with the delivery he normally uses, gets big laughs.  He just got way too affected by the audience reaction and whiffed on it.    

What surprises me a little more is that he didn't figure out long before then that SNL was never going to be the right place to do that joke.  There are a lot of venues on tv where that joke will work, but broadcast tv (even late night) is never going to be one of them.        

• Love 6
(edited)

Fair enough. My point about humor, like art, being subjective stands.  I imagine that the families of the the 1,652 children killed in those fights wouldn't think that joke was very funny.  But we don't care enough about them to get in the way of the joke.

I wasn't offended by the monologue necessarily, but I just didn't find it funny. Comparing child molestation to eating a candy bar is not that clever to me. I don't really care for Louis C.K.'s stand-up in general though, so that might be part of it. 

Also, not to turn this thread political, but I really hope the website that you linked to with Israel-Palestine casualty numbers is not the website where people are getting their news on this conflict from. That website has horribly inaccurate reporting (like, egregiously so to the point of tin-foil hat conspiracy theories) and is anti-Semitic (and yes, I know people can criticize Israel without being anti-Semitic, but this website is both anti-Semitic and anti-Israel). And their casualty numbers are not that accurate on the Palestinian side because they get their numbers from Hamas, a terrorist group that governs Palestine and that is known to inflate their civilian casualty numbers for media purposes.

The Cold Open was amusing enough, but I think they're going to need a new take on Hillary other than "she's really, really ambitious!". That's been done to death already and won't be funny after another 18 months of this. I did like the part where Aidy was saying that they just don't like Hillary and never will and Hillary was like "yes, I've been hearing that for 20 years".

The Elves sketch was bad. It was like they wanted to do a BDSM sketch because it's trendy and in the zeitgeist right now, but didn't think through the rest of it at all. 

They are still starting WU with "what's up?". Ugh. Pete Davidson was more of the same. It seemed like there were a lot of awkward pauses where they were expecting laughs and didn't get any.

Gemma is like the British, non-politically interested version of the Girl at the Party. It was better the first time.

I loved that Beck's character in the police line-up had new age-y kind of rings. That made his character extra hilarious to me because he just tried so hard to be so damn artsy. 

They definitely had the old cinema voices down in the Forgotten TV Gems sketch.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

Bruce Chandling doesn't do it for me. He started as a Weekend Update guest—and paled in comparison to Fred Armisen's political standup Nicholas Fehn and Fred's Native American standup, Billy Smith. But Bruce is even worse in sketches.

(edited)

I think Bruce is like some big inside joke with other comedians that nobody else seems to entirely get.  I mean, the other pre-taped piece they did for this character was with Kevin Hart. 

Oh, and this is for Helenamonster, who said she really didn't get the joke with the lumberjack PSAs.

I assume it was a takeoff of this very old but famous commercial.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

Can someone transcribe Colin Jost's jalapeno business joke for me?

Set up was about a woman stabbing her man for eating all the salsa.  You’d be mad too if he… jalapeno business.   jalapeno  business = ‘all up in your’ business

• Love 1
(edited)

Can someone transcribe Colin Jost's jalapeno business joke for me?

Ohio police arrested a woman who allegedly stabbed her boyfriend for eating all of their salsa. Though you’d be angry, too, if your boyfriend was jalapeno business.

Edited by stacey
See mod note
  • Love 2

I think Bruce is like some big inside joke with other comedians that nobody else seems to entirely get.  I mean, the other pre-taped piece they did for this character was with Kevin Hart. 

Yeah, I wonder if he's a character that really connects with comics, and probably specifically stand ups?  Because if he's getting multiple pre-taped pieces, that means they're popular enough at the table read to get filmed, it's just that they aren't connecting with the audience.

• Love 3

Regarding the monologue, I understand the argument that it's simply in bad taste, or that it risks retraumatizing real victims of child sexual abuse. That's always a tricky line to walk, in comedy and with art in general; no one's ever going to agree on exactly how far you should go to push people out of their comfort zone compared to how much consideration you should give to propriety and the risk of giving offense.

What I don't agree with is the argument I've seen in some circles -- that Louis CK's molestation jokes are somehow a form of social injustice, akin to making tasteless jokes about abusing women or terrorizing racial minorities. The difference is, we live in a society where people all too often use the threat of violence and/or sexual abuse to keep women and minorities down, so careless humor about that sort of thing can actually contribute to an existing culture of oppression. On the other hand, we don't live in a society where we keep children in their place by threatening to molest them. In fact, the main social evil that empowers child abuse is that it tends not to be discussed. So joking about the local child molester doesn't empower the terrible thing being joked about in the same way at all.

• Love 2

Please remember, this is the spot to talk about the episode, NOT the spot to discuss issues/concerns/news about the cast or the hosts. Thank you!

To repeat; this is for discussion about the episode, not about the personal life of the cast or hosts. Discussion of what happened on the show is fine, e.g., the monologue. Posts have been removed or edited.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another cut sketch.  I kinda liked it.  I have been around a few people who were about that annoying.

Hah, I liked that. I'm glad it seems like they're giving Jay more to do than just impressions, I think he's pretty funny.

Oh, and this is for Helenamonster, who said she really didn't get the joke with the lumberjack PSAs.

I assume it was a takeoff of this very old but famous commercial.

Maybe Bruce is like another "Who Jackie?" or something. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

And thank you! Wow, I guess Louis was right. Everyone was a little racist in the '70s.

ETA: The AV Club and Reddit do some hard-hitting investigation to find out who farted in this week's cold open.

Edited by helenamonster

Set up was about a woman stabbing her man for eating all the salsa.  You’d be mad too if he… jalapeno business.   jalapeno  business = ‘all up in your’ business

Also there was a graphic of a jalapeno chile sitting next to the salsa. 

I caught the repeat for this episode on the weekend - looks like they aired the dress rehearsal for the Sprint sketch, but I actually enjoyed the comic timing and audience reaction better with the live sketch, even though Leslie Jones made that flub at the beginning.