Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E11: Week 9: Semifinals

• Start Topic

That was pretty good.  But... uh... what happened to Mark's head?

I'm hoping he finds a new style to go with soon.

I'm guessing the judges figured after giving Noah 9s that Riker and Nastia had to get 10s in comparison. I actually thought Rumer's scores were very fair until Noah went and everything after turned into perfect scores.

Rumer/Val are being set up for the boot. A Viennese Waltz then a contemporary/ballet fusion?  Performing first?  Whatever.

That's the feeling I had at the end of the show, and I'm really, really hoping I'm wrong. With going first, getting the not perfect score because they went before Noah, the proposal, and Len, they seemed to get lost in the shuffle.

Am I the only one that thought Riker's last dance was a hot mess?

I thought Riker did a lot of standing around for someone who can actually dance. It didn't highlight him at all. I also thought the contemporary made him look almost clumsy a couple times. For the semi-final, I thought Allison and Julianne got it all wrong.

I thought this was Nastia's best night. The quickstep was great, and she seems to have fun with Sasha. Her second dance was lovely.

I thought Rumer got the short end of the stick this week with the only reasonable scoring and Bruno's crazy concept. I'm kind of sad we won't get an Argentine Tango from Rumer and Val this year. I would have liked that much better than the Swan Lake dance.

Val was adorable in the tour commercial and mesmerizing in their first dance. I can't help but feel a little bad for Derek that he lost out on part of his big opportunity because he got clumsy for a minute or two. It can't be easy to lose that and have to sit back in this. I did like that he tempered his presence in the Erin interview and didn't insert himself in the quickstep. I didn't mind that he danced the waltz because I felt that it was truly showcasing Nastia, which was a relief from the Derek focus the last couple weeks. I hope Sasha gets his name on the trophy, too, if they win. I'm choosing to believe Noah's proposal was sincere and heartfelt and not at all about votes. I wouldn't mind if he left today, though.

I felt the producers' manipulations more than usual in this episode. They manage to assemble likeable pros and casts and then can't help themselves from tinkering.

• Love 4
(edited)

That was pretty good.  But... uh... what happened to Mark's head?

I know! I never thought I would say this, but I'll take the porkpie hat over that hair!

I spent the entire time he was onscreen trying to decide if that was his hair or the hat. Finally I gave up and decided that either way, it was a tragedy.

The entire Lynch family is unfortunate looking. 

Because I am shallow and terrible, I was thinking last night that overall this is the ugliest final four the show has ever had.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 5

I think Viennese Waltz is beautiful except for that one move where the man grabs the woman by the neck and swings her around. It always looks like he's choking her and takes me right out of the beauty. <snip>

he referred to Jamie as his girlfriend throughout, never fiancee.

The neck rotation part - it always reminds me of my favorite ever competitive reality dance VW, where the judges commented about how difficult those moves are, I have no idea if that is true or not, it's just something that always reminds me of my favorite VW.

My "ghost" memory had Erin referring to her that way - but apparently I was wrong.

• Love 1

I have to say...I have waned over the past few seasons....it bored me but this season I think is quite possibly the best season and I find myself glued when it is on. 

I am really enjoying it.

(edited)

The entire Lynch family is unfortunate looking.

Ross Lynch is quite cute - ask my 10 year-old daughter. :-) I am sure you will see him tonight during the "Teen Beach 2" cast performance.

Edited by Fliz
  • Love 1
It should be Noah, but thanks to his stunt, Rumer/Val will get the boot tomorrow. And if it's not Rumer/Val, then it'll be Riker/Allison. And I'm irritated. I know that this is a dancing competition, but that's just it -- it's a dancing competition. Based on that, the F2 should be Nastia and Rumer. The propping of Noah makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm all ready to be REALLY pissed off tonight. I like Noah. I am grateful for his sacrifice and his service. He's quite hot and I wish he and his fiancee every happiness in the world, but tonight should be where he gets off this train. He has been overscored, tongue bathed, weeped over, pandered to, propped and given dances that he can work with. It has not been a fair fight.

Rumer, Nastia and Riker are the three that are the best DANCERS of this season and they should be in the Finals. If Rumer is sent home tonight (especially, because she's the only one of those three not to have a blood relative of her or her partner, on the judging panel) in favor of Noah, then I'll be watching The Voice finale next week. Usually, I go live on DWTS and DVR The Voice.  

• Love 12

From the recap:

Derek reminds us that he's known Len since he was nine years old, and I really don't understand why the show hasn't done an hour-long documentary about the pre-show dancing careers of the pros. I know the broad shapes of the Hough/Ballas story but it would be great to hear more about ALL of the pros and see footage from their own championships.

Yes, yes! Show, get on this right away!

After re-watching all the dances, I had forgotten that awesome, modern Fur Elise. Loved it. And yes, I choked up at Len's dance. I love that cranky old coot, too.

• Love 3

I agree with a lot of people.  Noah is now going to get extra votes because of his proposal.  I don't want to see him in the finals or his freestyle.  I think the other three will have better freestyles.

• Love 4

"Where's Derek? Is he the drum player? No, maybe the horn player? He must be there! Where's Derek?!? WE CAN'T FIND DEREK!" So even NOT there he was a distraction in our house.

I felt the same.  Very funny.  Have to say that Nastia SLAYED that dance.  It was the first time I enjoyed watching her dance.

• Love 1

I agree,but unfortunately it's not just a dancing competition. People can vote for who they think is the best dancer but most vote on who ,for whatever reason, is their favorite. If it was just based on the best dancers Willow would still be there. I just think we don't need judges propping of Noah.

It would seem, based on her brief appearance last night, that Willow agrees with you.  I don't know what it was about her 20-second spot that irked me so much...I guess it's that it came off like she felt like she was the best dancer and it was somehow unfair that she's not there anymore.  She definitely was a better dancer than some that outlasted her, but I definitely don't think she was the best this season.  YMMV.  

• Love 2

Yes, Willow didn't come off well in that spot, saying that "everyone" was surprised that she wasn't in the finals. I can chalk that up to her being a kid and not thinking before she speaks, but I did cringe when she said it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it comes back to the show having questionable judgement about having her on at all. I'm sure a whole lot of people around her were expecting her to get the boot before the finals due to her shaky fanbase and her not being very appealing to the main audience, including Mark (though he may have been surprised it happened that week and not a week later or so), but have been too kind to tell her so. And since she did work very hard and danced better than Robert, Noah and Chris and IMO had potential to improve even more and get on par in some aspects to the top three (you saw that in the salsa where for me she rightly won against Riker because she had more control and nuance, Allison seemingly doesn't know how to teach such things), perhaps she doesn't understand how that wasn't enough. She's a kid and seemed really crushed to get eliminated, I don't begrudge her feeling good about herself and her dancing this season. She has much to be proud of. And she's been nothing but supportive towards the other contestants, she probably just didn't think through what blurting that out might imply.

Edited by katha
  • Love 4
(edited)

Dead horse post, sorry.  I wonder if Noah gets it that his dancing skills are not why he is in the final 4.  His package keeps showing us that he thinks he can win.  Does he get it that people are voting because he is military or feel sorry for him?  And that the judges are over scoring him for the same reasons?  Where is the pride in that?  And if he had planned to propose where is the ring?  No ring says this was not premeditated (I watch too much ID programming).  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

Yes, Willow didn't come off well in that spot, saying that "everyone" was surprised that she wasn't in the finals. I can chalk that up to her being a kid and not thinking before she speaks, but I did cringe when she said it.

I think that Willow was adorable in the brief time that they spoke to her.  And yes, the week she was eliminated, I would say that pretty much everyone was shocked by it.  I saw nothing at all wrong with what she said.  And the Semi-Finals would have been oh so much better with her in it.

• Love 5
(edited)

If you watch carefully, Noah has a ring hidden in his hand and pushes it up into her view when he drops to one knee. She takes it from him but doesn't put it on until after they hug. She has it on during post show interviews. Sharna had it and passed it to him during the scores. He joked that the producers were instructed to cut away if she hesitated at all.

Edited by majormama
Because I am shallow and terrible, I was thinking last night that overall this is the ugliest final four the show has ever had.

Last week, I thought "This is the whitest group I've seen in the top 6." Val and Sharna are the least white, only because they aren't white Americans. 

• Love 1

Last week, I thought "This is the whitest group I've seen in the top 6." Val and Sharna are the least white, only because they aren't white Americans. 

Not sure that I am following your logic?  So white people from other countries are not as white as white Americans??  

• Love 1

So..... This explains why Rumer got perfect scores last week and the encore--- because the bus was coming for her this week! And Natasia was set up last week for the redemption story and then gets Len on top of it! ( I actually liked her quickstep with Sasha - minus the cartwheel, we get it!- thought she had much more connection with him) but how unfair to have the judges in the dance , really show? If Rumer goes tonight I have no interest in the final. I don't care who she is or isn't , hers were the only dances I rewound. I love her attitude about dancing and the show and I see the joy it gives her. I so hope she makes it thru tonight but I agree with others who thought she and Val saw the writing on the wall.

• Love 5
Not sure that I am following your logic?  So white people from other countries are not as white as white Americans??

No, they are literally all white. I just meant, they had some flavor. Don't over think it. 

• Love 3

If the show is just a popularity contest then Noah should still be there.  The judges aren't scoring him on his ability to dance though.  We've seen them critique so many other dancers in this season (and previous ones like Amy's) about things that Noah can't do and then score him better.  It's not just fan votes carrying him through, the judges seem to want to as well.  How can the others compete with that?

I can't believe Rumer's whole storyline has been that the tabloids told her she was ugly growing up so she's had a tough time of it.  I'm sure that's tough for a kid.  But seriously, she was born into a life of wealth and privilege to the point where neither she nor her sisters "have" to work.  It's hard to feel sorry for a millionaire.

I think Nastia is a beautiful dancer who really got the short end of the stick this season.  Sure, Derek agreed to come back, but until his injury he was some kind of machine Derek, you could tell they weren't spending anytime getting to know each other, he was just coaching her a couple of days a week.

I don't know what Riker is famous for, but he's a decent dancer and I think his partner has mellowed from last season but Julianne would've been a good partner for him as well.

If the show is just a popularity contest then Noah should still be there. <snip>

But seriously, she was born into a life of wealth and privilege to the point where neither she nor her sisters "have" to work.  It's hard to feel sorry for a millionaire.

1. Why the manipulation with the proposal then, that's why it's disgusting to me.

2. Indeed.

I did not see Noah's proposal as manipulation at all.  At this point in the season, most people are pretty certain who they are voting for no matter what.  I highly doubt a die hard Val fan who thinks this is "his year" is suddenly going to switch to Noah.  Same for Golden Boy's fans.

I thought it was a sweet moment and boo to Erin Andrews for the ugly faces she was caught making in the background.  She is catching some much deserved "stuff" for it.  

• Love 1
(edited)

And was that Riker's sister who competed with him that was on there tonight? All season and still no mention of his competitive background.

I was actually thinking it's kind of odd that they did focus on his dance background in his intro (his Glee role) while downplaying the fact that he's in a hugely popular band (at least with my daughter's tween set). Seems like the dance acknowledgment would hurt him and the association with R5 would only help? Edited by RedInk
I thought it was a sweet moment and boo to Erin Andrews for the ugly faces she was caught making in the background.  She is catching some much deserved "stuff" for it.

Considering that so many were in on it ahead of time, I think she probably knew or had an inkling. I'd guess the faces were her trying not to cry.

• Love 5
(edited)
Does he get it that people are voting because he is military or feel sorry for him?

I'm sure Noah gets this.  He's not stupid.  I find it frustrating that he isn't judged by the same standards as the other dancers but how could he be?  If the show invites a severely wounded veteran to be one of the "stars," they  have to know that they are asking for the combat vet to get votes based on his/her service and disability.  No way around it.  I accept that just as I accept that Riker has considerable dance experience and is a cousin to the Houghs.  

I wasn't particularly bothered by the proposal.  Noah will, of course, pick up some of the "Aw shucks" votes but, let's face it, the bullying package put together for Rumer will gain the votes of everyone who was ever bullied (and isn't that most of us).  Not to mention the masses of votes she will get from fans of her parents.  And, yes, I know that Rumer can't help who her parents are.  

Therefore, I doubt that Rumer will be voted off tonight.  I really didn't see the bus coming for her.  She got all tens, heaps of praise and a sympathetic pre-dance package, didn't she?

I loved all the dances tonight.  Nastia was a highlight for me and, wow, she has massively benefited from Derek's accident.  She really connects with Sasha and the few seconds dancing with Len were magic.  Loved the cartwheel in the quick step and so did Mr. Limecoke.  We must have rewound that five times.  While I've never been a huge fan of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, I was always a fan of Valeri Liukin.  Loved watching him during the long ago Olympics and it's fun to see his daughter dance on the show.  It's also odd to see him smile as a proud papa because he was always so dour as a gymnast.  Probably where Nastia gets it.

I'm still calling Rumer for the win.  It's as obvious as Alfonso's win was last season.  

Edited by limecoke

I can't believe Rumer's whole storyline has been that the tabloids told her she was ugly growing up so she's had a tough time of it.  I'm sure that's tough for a kid.  But seriously, she was born into a life of wealth and privilege to the point where neither she nor her sisters "have" to work.  It's hard to feel sorry for a millionaire.

Rumer may have wealth and privilege, but I still feel for her. All the money in the world doesn't fix emotional problems and negative messages deeply ingrained since childhood. It's still an enormous amount of work to re-write the brain and all the negativity you hear (internally and externally). I've been in therapy for four years, working on some deeply seeded garbage, but if I won the lottery tomorrow that wouldn't miraculously fix what's going on in my head. It takes work.

I like Rumer, and she better make it to the finals or things will be thrown at my TV. Actually, if anyone but Noah leaves tonight things will be thrown at my TV. (Soft things, because I like my TV and don't want to break it. LOL. But yes, things will be thrown.)

• Love 15

I could bear Riker leaving over Noah, but not because of dancing ability of course - just that his story isn't going to move the key demographic of this show and neither is his hairstyle.  I wouldn't be super-happy, but it won't piss me off the way Rumer's exit would.  Rumer is an astonishing dancer for someone without loads of physical training (Riker's not bad that way either, but he's had demented lines many more times than Rumer has). 

• Love 3

If you watch carefully, Noah has a ring hidden in his hand and pushes it up into her view when he drops to one knee. She takes it from him but doesn't put it on until after they hug. She has it on during post show interviews. Sharna had it and passed it to him during the scores. He joked that the producers were instructed to cut away if she hesitated at all.

Thanks, I missed that.  

I did not see Noah's proposal as manipulation at all.  At this point in the season, most people are pretty certain who they are voting for no matter what.  I highly doubt a die hard Val fan who thinks this is "his year" is suddenly going to switch to Noah.  Same for Golden Boy's fans.

It won't change the diehard's minds, but I think there are a lot of people who vote for whoever they like most on the night. If the voting is as close as they've suggested, then an inspirational/sappy moment like that could make the difference.

Thoughts on last night:

Rumer – I loved her VW, but honestly I would have enjoyed it more without the ’50 Shades’ references.  I have a deep-seated and abiding hatred of those books and the movie, so I really despised the biting lip, announcement and the tie thing.  Once they got past that crap, I thought the VW was stunning.  I figured they wouldn’t give her 2 perfect weeks in a row, so I expected at least one 9.  I also loved the judge’s choice dance that Bruno created.  Another beautifully done piece.  I expected everyone would get perfect scores for those dances whether they deserved them or not, so no surprises there.  What was a surprise was that Bruno came up with that. 

Noah – I did not care for his VW that much.  I was a bit surprised they put him and Rumer back-to-back like that, as he suffered from the nearly direct comparison.  He did the best he could with it, and it wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t 9-worthy either, I don’t think.  No way was Rumer only 2 points better than he was.  That I probably should have expected, but didn’t, and it annoyed me.  I also didn’t care much for CA’s paso.  The bull horns looked more Malificent than bull, and the bit with the curtains stuck in their pants was weird.  I know it was to create an effect, but I was too distracted by the weirdness to appreciate the effect.  Noah didn’t seem to really dance much of that paso, although I appreciated the troupe dancers in the background.  They deserved 10s anyway.  <lol>  I did not appreciate the proposal at all.  I am not a fan of them anyway – it usually strikes me as being more about the guy than the girl.  Sort of “hey, look at me, look at how romantic/creative/original/whatever I am, isn’t she lucky to have me.”  I know . . . I’m a crabby old lady.  ;0  Anyway, it was the wrong time.  The elimination show would have been a better time to do it.  Since Sharna had the ring, it obviously wasn’t a spontaneous gesture – it was planned.  And what it did was take away time that rightfully belonged to the dancers who came after him, and it detracted somewhat from them and their efforts.  Not well done.  And I am worried that he won’t go home tonight (if he does, I’ll forgive everything), and we’ll lose one of the best dancers because people will vote on sentiment.  I can handle that earlier in the season, but when we get this far in, I want to see the best dancers go through.

Riker – I didn’t really like either of his dances.  The contemporary was okay, but I’m not a fan of that genre much anyway.  He did well with what he was given, and Allison was in her wheelhouse, so she did well, but overall I just didn’t get the right vibe from Riker.  I don’t think he really does “intense” well.  Surprised but not surprised by the 10s.  <sigh>  And unfortunately he got stuck with two intense pieces this week.  Is there an unwritten rule that says Houghs must dance?   Julianne and her brother both share this need for the spotlight, I guess.  If she’d danced a couple of measures and left, it would have been okay, but the beginning part of the dance suffered because she was clearly (to me anyway) the best dancer out there.  Both Riker and Allison suffered in comparison to her.  Then after she left, Riker just didn’t get the feel of it quite right.  I will say, though, that that arrangement of Fur Elise worked better than I could have ever imagined.  Anyway, I had the same impression about both of his dances – good but not great.  I loved Allison on SYTYCD, but I don’t love her here, and I can’t help but wonder how good Riker could have been if paired with a real ballroom pro. 

Nastia – for me this was a break-out night for her.  I loved that quickstep – fast but controlled, and she really looked like she was having a ball out there.  That was everything I love about the quickstep.  Had no problems whatsoever with her perfect score.  And I loved the judge’s dance with Len.  Now that’s the way to insert yourself into a dance!!  That was just perfect from beginning to end.  I loved Len starting it off looking at his scrapbook and then Derek as a young Len (and we thought it was rather obvious that Derek was not up to par but it was nice because Nastia got to shine) and then finally Len doing just a couple of measures with Nastia.  Really wonderful job.    What a nice send-off for Len as well.  I’ll miss him.  He frustrates me sometimes, but I like him the best of the judges.

I am honestly dreading tonight’s elimination show.  If anyone other than Noah leaves, I’ll be angry and upset.  If Noah stays and it’s anyone other than Riker leaving, I’ll be furious.  To me Rumer and Nastia are the cream of this crop, and both of them should be in the finale.  Riker deserves to be there as well, but he doesn’t quite compare to the two women for me, so it would be (only slightly) less of a travesty if he leaves tonight.

• Love 7

Maybe I'm underestimating the Julianne factor, but I don't think her being in Riker's AT will garner enough votes to boost him into the finals. I think Rumer edges him out tonight, with Nastia and Noah (ugh!) rounding out the top 3.

There was some good dancing, but the whole night left a bad taste in my mouth because of all the emotional manipulation. I felt its presence more than usual.

• Love 2

I just can't anymore with the judges or the scores - I don't care that they are only scoring the contestants against themselves, on the score board there is no "weighted" score and the judges pandering/codding of Noah means we may lose Rumer.

<snip>

I will admit it, I did get a little misty eyed when Len danced with Nastia.  I thought it was a beautiful moment; Nastia looked gorgeous, so light and flowly, very elegant and Derek was quite dapper - - she had a fantastic night.  I liked her Quickstep routine with Sasha - that seemed very fast yet controlled (something I wish Allison could do with Riker).

In my eyes, Rumer and Nastia should have been tied, both receiving perfect scores with Riker just a point or two behind (he was very good) with Noah a distant, distant fourth.

I really hope we don't lose Rumer. I figured out how to vote via Facebook and cast all my votes for her - first time voting on DWTS. As I said I usually just kinda follow along. I thought Nastia had a better night last night, but overall agree she and Rumer are both very good and I felt like Rumer was in more 'danger.'

I got misty eyed on the Len/Nastia dance, too.

I thought this was Nastia's best night. The quickstep was great, and she seems to have fun with Sasha. Her second dance was lovely.

I thought Rumer got the short end of the stick this week with the only reasonable scoring and Bruno's crazy concept. I'm kind of sad we won't get an Argentine Tango from Rumer and Val this year. I would have liked that much better than the Swan Lake dance.

<snip>

I felt the producers' manipulations more than usual in this episode. They manage to assemble likeable pros and casts and then can't help themselves from tinkering.

Yes, I loved Nastia's quickstep! I think in general she actually dances better with Sasha as her partner. And yes, the emotional manipulation - ugh. I was surprised I could still muster up a misty eyed response to Len's dance instead of an eyeroll after feeling like the show was jerking me around all night.

Actually, in this case, I liked the cartwheel because they didn't break hold (which made me laugh).

I liked that too - thought it was impressive without being too over the top "Look! I'm a gymnast!"

• Love 1

I voted last night for the first time all season. I cast all my votes for Nastia, but at the end the summary said I cast one of my votes for Rumer, which I most assuredly did not. Hmmm.

I know that Nastia is in school and does some broadcasting, Noah is a personal trainer/speaker, and Riker is in a band and acts, but what exactly does Rumer do for a living? I don't recall them ever saying. If she has a performance background they certainly have underplayed it. Or I could have zoned out, which happens frequently during this show.

• Love 1

On the other hand, she's in the national spotlight, and not by her choice. It's one thing when a small group of kids say you're ugly, another when thousands (many of whom are legally if not socially adults) say so.

• Love 4

I'd be okay with Noah staying around for a while, maybe eliminated around the same time as dancers like Robert and Chris. If he stays into the finals based on what he can actually do (much less wins), that is largely the judges fault because they have done everything they could to help him get there, regardless of whatever the public was doing. They've also, through their comments and scoring, encouraged people to vote for him.

However, based on what he actually can do on the dance floor he is very undeserving of advancing to another week. If I were any of the other three, including the three pros, I would be very disheartened to be voted out because someone who had a disability but couldn't dance was winning some kind of "popularity-based" contest instead.

Rumer, Nastia and Riker have all worked really hard, improved, and done some great dances with their partners. Noah basically does much the same minimalist movements accompanied by an occasional lift from one week to the next. Being sent home early so that someone so undeserving moves on (much less goes on to win) would really be hard to deal with, I'd think.

I like that they have disabled people competing--and if they deserve to win, great. But if they don't, why fake it?

• Love 2
(edited)

Like, if my SO proposed to me on a tv show that has viewer/audience votes, I don't think I would say yes. I don't think I would want to be a ploy to get someone a trophy on a dancing show where said SO is not even a dancer.  I wouldn't like it. But thats just me. I don't know. I don't think I would the idea of a public proposal anywhere. Maybe perhaps close family and friends but on national tv?

My sister and I agreed on a policy- accept any public proposal, then quietly break-off in private. The whole baseball stadium during the 7th inning stretch doesn't care about your sincere reasons for saying no, they just know you look like a giant bitch. So even if I knew it was a douchy ploy for reality TV votes, I'd probably say yes to avoid further public embarrassment. Imagine the headlines. "Woman rejects disabled war hero's marriage proposal on live TV!"

Rumer may have wealth and privilege, but I still feel for her. All the money in the world doesn't fix emotional problems and negative messages deeply ingrained since childhood. It's still an enormous amount of work to re-write the brain and all the negativity you hear (internally and externally). I've been in therapy for four years, working on some deeply seeded garbage, but if I won the lottery tomorrow that wouldn't miraculously fix what's going on in my head. It takes work.

Yeah. I mean, Rumer's sister had an eating disorder and a drug addiction, despite being a millionaire. Do you (collective) only feel sorry for poor people with eating disorders and drug addictions? Where do you draw the line? I didn't connect with Rumer's bullying story, but I also didn't connect with Nastia's journey to best her dad's Olympic medal count, or whatever the heck Riker supposedly struggles from (dark roots?). I think they're all pretty silly compared to Noah's "I lost 2 limbs in war" but someone could also say well, Noah volunteered to serve, he knew the risks, at least he lived when thousands of others didn't, and the US shouldn't have invaded Iraq in the first place.

I never understood the people who claim they need an emotional journey to connect with the stars. Especially since so many of the stars clearly have to reach to find something bad in their pretty privileged lives (like Charlotte "Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful" McKinney). Having a good sob story doesn't make you a good dancer, as we've witnessed with this season. If that's the direction the show wants to go, and let Noah win despite not having danced a single ballroom step accurately the entire season, then fine. Stop with the ringers and the celebrity premise, and just start rounding up every drug addict, cancer survivor and war hero to let them duke it out for the "Sadder Than You" trophy.

Edited by skittl3862
  • Love 6
(edited)

If the show is just a popularity contest then Noah should still be there. The judges aren't scoring him on his ability to dance though. We've seen them critique so many other dancers in this season (and previous ones like Amy's) about things that Noah can't do and then score him better. It's not just fan votes carrying him through, the judges seem to want to as well. How can the others compete with that?

I can't believe Rumer's whole storyline has been that the tabloids told her she was ugly growing up so she's had a tough time of it. I'm sure that's tough for a kid. But seriously, she was born into a life of wealth and privilege to the point where neither she nor her sisters "have" to work. It's hard to feel sorry for a millionaire.

I think Nastia is a beautiful dancer who really got the short end of the stick this season. Sure, Derek agreed to come back, but until his injury he was some kind of machine Derek, you could tell they weren't spending anytime getting to know each other, he was just coaching her a couple of days a week.

I don't know what Riker is famous for, but he's a decent dancer and I think his partner has mellowed from last season but Julianne would've been a good partner for him as well.

With all due respect to your comment, as you said, "Rumer was born into a life of wealth & privilege"--in other words, Rumer's parents are rich, not Rumer. I don't think it's necessarily fair, or accurate, to assume that Rumer or her sisters from her parents' marriage are currently independently wealthy in their own right/have already inherited any of their parents' wealth, through trust funds or other means, or that they don't need to work & make their own living to survive.

Perhaps their parents have raised them to be different than other "children of wealth & privilege" who do nothing but sponge off their parents' money for their entire lives. I know they were raised outside the "Hollywood spotlight", in Idaho, by 1 or both parents for a number of years while they were growing up (by the way, the 3 eldest Willis sisters, with Bruce & Demi as parents, also have 2 baby sisters, under either age 2 or 3, from Bruce's current marriage to Emma Hemming-Willis. I think she's a model or an actress/model. And I doubt the baby sisters are currently millionaires/independently wealthy, as well).

Indeed, Rumer is, & was, a legitimate working actress in her own right before joining DWTS. No, her credits aren't as extensive as those of her parents--& she has credits going back to when she was a young child, when she played (in probably fairly small, almost cameo, roles) the daughter of movie characters played by 1 or the other of her parents; I think her IMDb page said she was Demi's daughter in Striptease, maybe other films as well, & she also played Bruce's daughter in at least 1 film I don't remember the name of--but Rumer does have acting credits in her own right, & not all in films/other projects involving 1 or both of her parents.

A "non-nepotism-related" credit of Rumer's that I'm quite familiar with is her recurring role as Sabrina, the bank teller girlfriend of Dr. Max Bergman, the Honolulu Medical Examiner character played by Masi Oka in CBS' current reboot of Hawaii Five-0. The show just got renewed for its 6th season & Rumer has appeared in at least 1 episode each season since either Season 3 or Season 4--so she has 2 or 3 credits just from that show alone, with presumably more to come as the characters of Max & Sabrina are quite suited to each other.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 3

A "non-nepotism-related" credit of Rumer's that I'm quite familiar with is her recurring role as Sabrina, the bank teller girlfriend of Dr. Max Bergman, the Honolulu Medical Examiner character played by Masi Oka in CBS' current reboot of Hawaii Five-0. The show just got renewed for its 6th season & Rumer has appeared in at least 1 episode each season since either Season 3 or Season 4--so she has 2 or 3 credits just from that show alone, with presumably more to come as the characters of Max & Sabrina are quite suited to each other.

That's cool! I loved Masi Oka on Heroes. I'd be very curious to see how he is, paired up with Rumer. That's enough to make me curious and consider watching Hawaii Five-0, something I hadn't really cared much about before this.

Okay, so why were the men in Noah's dance have curtains stuffed into the backs of their trousers and why were they wearing devil horns on their heads?  Yes, I know they were supposed to be bulls but they looked more like Disney's Maleficent.  With curtains stuffed into the backs of their trousers.

And BTW, please make Noah go away.

Other than Noah, I thought all the dances were great.

I usually love a Paso, but I was so distracted by the almost satanic elements.  And the red silk curtains reminded me of creepy scenes from The Cell.  It all kind of reminded me of a Bacchanalia.

Tom tweeted today that only 1.5% separates the bottom two couples. Which is ironic, because Noah danced on his own in his Paso approximately 1.5% of the time. 

• Love 9

Public proposals are pretty common these days.  The Reality TV Generation. Noah is just luckier than most, with the opportunity to do it on live national TV.

Would you like to watch Twitch propose to Allison?  It's on youtube:

Just another reason to be glad the Internet didn't exist when I was young.

I've already seen this proposal, and I actually love it.  I'm tired of public proposals (they had one this season of The Amazing Race, too), but you have the option to go on youtube and seek it out, versus forced to watch it on primetime television.  Anyway, Twitch not only choreographed a dance to Allison, he flew in her parents and daughter.  I like the guy.

My public plea to Allison:  Do your roots, girl!  You're in Lacey Schwimmer territory.

It reminded me of one of Vincent d'Onofrio's scenes in The Cell. I think the one where he's yanking out Jennifer Lopez' intestines with a hurdy gurdy , but it's been a while since I've seen it. (Yes, the movie was just as weird as it sounds.). But before they came down the stairs with the poitiers all I could think of was Maleficient.

That would be Vince Vaughn's intestines, as JLo looks on.  Just re-watched that movie.

• Love 2

The judges have been pandering to Noah all season.  Yes, it's impressive what he has been able to accomplish, but it's as if they judge him by a completely different standard than all of the others.  Add onto that the completely manufactured proposal just as he is in danger of being in the bottom.  Leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  I think he has been better than many of the others but if he makes it to the finals over Rumer then it's a complete crock.

I was prepared to dislike Rumer based purely on who she is, but I have been pleasantly surprised and impressed by her.

• Love 8

Twitch is amazing and sweet and all-around wonderful.  He is seriously entertaining as a dancer and seems like a genuinely nice, decent person.  His real name is Stephen Boss.  Twitch is his stage name, and if you'd ever seen him dance, you'd know it works perfectly.  Guy has ungodly control over his body.  I love Twitch. :)

Absolutely!  Twitch just oozes chemistry, and I love his dancing even though it's outside my favorite genres.  Youtube is loaded with his So You Think You Can Dance videos.  Two of my favorites - Cyrus/Twitch Robotic Animation, and Alex Wong/Twitch hip hop.  If anyone chooses to watch these, keep in mind that Alex Wong is a trained ballet dancer, with no hip hop experience.

• Love 7

I usually love a Paso, but I was so distracted by the almost satanic elements.  And the red silk curtains reminded me of creepy scenes from The Cell.  It all kind of reminded me of a Bacchanalia.

Totally, it seemed like a salute to the Illuminati - at least to everyone's idea of what the Illuminati would be if it existed. Did not like/get it at all.

Absolutely!  Twitch just oozes chemistry, and I love his dancing even though it's outside my favorite genres.  Youtube is loaded with his So You Think You Can Dance videos.  Two of my favorites - Cyrus/Twitch Robotic Animation, and Alex Wong/Twitch hip hop.  If anyone chooses to watch these, keep in mind that Alex Wong is a trained ballet dancer, with no hip hop experience.

Oh, I love the Twitch/Alex Wong hip hop! It is one of the best dances I've ever seen on television. Amazing.

• Love 3