Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E11: Week 9: Semifinals

• Start Topic

(edited)

That's cool! I loved Masi Oka on Heroes. I'd be very curious to see how he is, paired up with Rumer. That's enough to make me curious and consider watching Hawaii Five-0, something I hadn't really cared much about before this.

Rumer's in Hawaii Five-0 Season 3, Episode 9, Ha'awe Make Loa (Death Wish), & Season 4, Episode 6, Kupouli ʻIa (Broken). At least those are her eps in the show to date; I'm hoping they can bring her back in S6 'cause I like Sabrina & Max together.

You can get the individual eps from amazon or iTunes (at least in the US), you can buy, or probably rent (like maybe from your library, or elsewhere) the DVDs, or try for clips of Rumer's & Masi's scenes online.

You know Masi's in NBC's Heroes reboot/sequel/whatever they're calling it, right? Just asking.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Tom tweeted today that only 1.5% separates the bottom two couples. Which is ironic, because Noah danced on his own in his Paso approximately 1.5% of the time. 

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  

This makes me think Nastia and Riker are the bottom two.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  

This makes me think Nastia and Riker are the bottom two.  

If anything the closeness makes me think Rumer and Riker. Noah and Nastia had emotional, memorable moments last night and Rumer wasn't as memorable and Riker well has a very specific fan base that might just catch up to him tonight.

Edited by PBGamer89

I wonder if this is even true or if they're just trying to get people to vote.

The voting was closed and why he was able to see the percentage difference.  

• Love 2

I wonder if Noah's whole proposal thing may end up backfiring on him, if it was in fact fake. The romantic side of me hopes maybe the proposal wasn't faked or re-enacted, but it just seemed so contrived and timed that I think it was.  It's hard to tell what people think here vs. what the general public is thinking.

Good point, thanks. I guess I've gotten too cynical about this show. I may have to just go back to watching and following along. I'm still interested in seeing the results tonight, but I will be wondering the whole time if the numbers are made up.

When Charlie White was Sharna's partner there were rumors that she was trying to get him to purpose to Tanith on air. That's all I could think about last night.

• Love 4

I don't think Noah's engagement was fake, not at all.  It has become a cliche to propose on TV.  I just think it was stupid and self aggrandizing.  

We may not even know who the bottom two are.  Tom usually says, not necessarily the bottom two.  I don't know why they do that.  Another stupid thing.  :>)

• Love 5
(edited)
We may not even know who the bottom two are.  Tom usually says, not necessarily the bottom two.

When it gets down to the Final 4, they usually do the actual bottom 2. That was why it was hardly surprising Janel was 3rd last season because she was in the bottom two with Bethany the night before, when Bethany was eliminated. And this after she topped the leader board. Similarly, I believe it came down to Candace and James in Season 18 for the the fourth place finish and Candace later finished in 3rd. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
(edited)

Perhaps I'm being naive, but if I were in Noah's shoes and liked public demonstrations (glad I'm not and I don't), I would look at the remaining contestants, know that they're all much better dancers, and think that it would be the last chance to propose before getting kicked off. Given how head over heels in love he looked when she surprised him earlier in the season, I have a hard time believing that this isn't genuine and he would use something like that purely for manipulative purposes.

I agree with previous posters that Rumer got a little lost in the shuffle yesterday especially with going first, but I would hope that her front runner status and good work throughout the course of the season is not overcome by one night of being slightly overshadowed. I would really hate for her to miss out on the finals. If it's not Noah, then I hope it's Riker that leaves.

Edited by Victura
  • Love 3
(edited)

I've always assumed that, at least on "performance"-involved reality shows (like DWTS & American Idol), the producers--at least usually, &/or at least until they get to the Finale where the season's champion(s) is/are named--meet with the host on the day of the Results Show & let him know who is/probably is being eliminated that week. So Tom Bergeron, Ryan Seacrest, etc., know who's going home when they walk out on that stage to do the show.

I have no actual proof of this. It's just a gut feeling I've had for awhile now. And if it's happening, I don't think it's actually illegal for Tom, Ryan, etc., to know in advance.

Edited by BW Manilowe

If anything the closeness makes me think Rumer and Riker. Noah and Nastia had emotional, memorable moments last night and Rumer wasn't as memorable and Riker well has a very specific fan base that might just catch up to him tonight.

Yeah, I'm not going to be surprised by anyone going home, except pleasantly surprised if it's Noah. Not surprised, but super bummed if it's Nastia or Rumer, and mildly bummed if it's Riker.

• Love 2
(edited)

Perhaps I'm being naive, but if I were in Noah's shoes and liked public demonstrations (glad I'm not and I don't), I would look at the remaining contestants, know that they're all much better dancers, and think that it would be the last chance to propose before getting kicked off. Given how head over heels in love he looked when she surprised him earlier in the season, I have a hard time believing that this isn't genuine and he would use something like that purely for manipulative purposes.

Except with all the stupid filler we're bound to get tonight before any couple is eliminated, and since he apparently told people involved with the show his plans ahead of time, he could have set up the proposal tonight. After the votes were in. Maybe we're all too cynical and he didn't have ulterior motives, but perception is reality and this paints Noah in a bad light. In my eyes and many others'.

And, yes, we've known for years that Tom learns the results of every elimination show well before the live results are read on air. I don't think wings707 was asking if that's the case - rather, it was a statement of fact.

Edited by Mbeaker

Some thoughts on Noah- If I were him I would be very embarrassed to be in the same group as the other three decent dancers.  For some reason he doesn't seem to be aware that he is not a good dancer.  And- the show really sunk low making the connection between the twin towers being attacked and the country of Iraq.  I wonder if Noah knows that Iraq did not attack the US. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Dead horse post, sorry.  I wonder if Noah gets it that his dancing skills are not why he is in the final 4.  His package keeps showing us that he thinks he can win.  Does he get it that people are voting because he is military or feel sorry for him?  And that the judges are over scoring him for the same reasons?  Where is the pride in that?  And if he had planned to propose where is the ring?  No ring says this was not premeditated (I watch too much ID programming).  

I want to think that Noah has no clue that people are doing that because he has lost half his body and, no doubt, part of his mind, serving our country. Most of us cannot imagine life in his shoes. However, tho this may be a large part of his "problem," I think he probably entered the show as a fairly "classless" person--and thus, remains one (being that "class" has been previously mentioned). IMO.

Edited by just prin
  • Love 1

I wonder if Noah knows that Iraq did not attack the US. 

Perhaps this is largely my whole problem with Noah, and it really might not be his fault at all.  I feel terrible for what he's been through and all for essentially a lie, perhaps the only one that was manipulated and exploited was Noah himself.

• Love 2

Except with all the stupid filler we're bound to get tonight before any couple is eliminated, and since he apparently told people involved with the show his plans ahead of time, he could have set up the proposal tonight.

Filler as it may be, it's very scheduled filler, and I think if he wanted to propose tonight, he would've had to clear it with a lot more people - producers, hosts, etc. to set it up. There was an opportunity Monday since all the contestants had their loved ones backstage. Besides, if you thought you were going to be eliminated, would you want to propose marriage the same night?

All that said, I still hope it's Noah that goes home tonight.

Besides, if you thought you were going to be eliminated, would you want to propose marriage the same night?

I would prefer that to having my marriage proposal come across to many viewers as a ploy for votes on a reality show. AT least that would have given the impression that getting engaged was worth more to him than a tv prize. But I admit to being the wrong person to ask, because I think public proposals are obnoxious under almost any circumstances.

• Love 2

I would prefer that to having my marriage proposal come across to many viewers as a ploy for votes on a reality show. AT least that would have given the impression that getting engaged was worth more to him than a tv prize. But I admit to being the wrong person to ask, because I think public proposals are obnoxious under almost any circumstances.

This!! And as to the other point, Noah revealed tonight that he DID clear Monday's proposal with producers.

Because I am shallow and terrible, I was thinking last night that overall this is the ugliest final four the show has ever had.

Nastia, Rumer, Riker and Noah... ugly?  I think they're all very attractive people.  Moreso than Alfonso, Jack Osborn and Bill Engvall, for sure.  Though I wouldn't call any of them ugly.  

My sister and I agreed on a policy- accept any public proposal, then quietly break-off in private. The whole baseball stadium during the 7th inning stretch doesn't care about your sincere reasons for saying no, they just know you look like a giant bitch. So even if I knew it was a douchy ploy for reality TV votes, I'd probably say yes to avoid further public embarrassment. Imagine the headlines. "Woman rejects disabled war hero's marriage proposal on live TV!"

The flashy public proposal becomes about the guy and how "romantic" he is. Whether the fiance wants a big flashy proposal, let alone wants to be married is not even an after-thought -- she's a prop. I totally agree that yours is the right way to handle it.

• Love 2

I think I just realized one thing that's bothered me so much about Noah's proposal. Before that, I thought he might've been getting a bit of a "pity" vote and/or he was getting overscored by the judges out of pity, or pride about his patriotism, etc.  It was kind of bugging me, but I could understand it, and I wondered if even he himself would be kind of embarrassed by it. I've mentioned in a previous post I have disabilities myself, starting when I was 9 or 10, and it bothers me when I get the "pity" thing but it still happens even when you're not asking for it. You kind of learn to work hard anyway, and be gracious when something happens that's favorable to you (or anyway I did).  As soon as he pulled out that proposal, I felt like Noah not only didn't mind the "pity vote" / "emotional vote" but he was pushing for it. Guess it doesn't really matter, but that's how I felt when he did that in this episode.

• Love 3

I've always assumed that, at least on "performance"-involved reality shows (like DWTS & American Idol), the producers--at least usually, &/or at least until they get to the Finale where the season's champion(s) is/are named--meet with the host on the day of the Results Show & let him know who is/probably is being eliminated that week. So Tom Bergeron, Ryan Seacrest, etc., know who's going home when they walk out on that stage to do the show.

I have no actual proof of this. It's just a gut feeling I've had for awhile now. And if it's happening, I don't think it's actually illegal for Tom, Ryan, etc., to know in advance.

Think it ws S18, Erin said Tom knew (and does) but at least for the final, Erin doesn't want to know.