Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E11: In It To Win It (Peru)

• Start Topic

RACE ON!!!!

Blair continues to impress me with how sweet he is to Hayley. Love how he takes a second to get his bearings- like re watching the brick making so he can adjust.

My narrative: for coming in first you win a fully paid wedding which will be performed on the finish line mat- see you then!!

I thought for sure Tyler and Laura were out tonight- they need to get it together and slow down a little bit and think.

Jenni and Jelani continue to meh.

Wonder how far behind Mike and Rochelle are with her beach meltdown on top of the dancing cry-a-thon.

• Love 5

What a disappointment, a non elimination leg this late in the season.  Mike and Rochelle all but checked out.

I think KF hit them HARD this leg.  I really like them, so I hope they can get back on their game.

• Love 8

I'm glad they did the same thing as last season with the penultimate leg just so there'd be no shouts of shenanigans with last season's race. Not a bad leg with each side of the detour being difficult. Hayley and Blair didn't irritate me during this leg. I was surprised that TPTB are keeping track of how many roadblocks each team member is doing.  What does it say about this season that I still don't care who wins?

• Love 3

Rochelle was assisted in the last road block. You all see the guy pushing her toward the buoy? I know they'll probably be bunched on the final flight, but if Mike and Rochelle end up winning after receiving help I won't be happy.

• Love 20

"he's doing it the Jelani way"  lol.. but he was smart in leaning back to distribute his weight more.

Hayley was actually... awesome tonight (*looks outside*  hm.. not snowing or pigs flying...all is right for today anyway).  She and Blair actually communicated very well - unlike Mike and Rochelle when they were at the brick detour.

Tyler is a Iron Man good grief (sorry saw Avengers today lol)-- they really got through that brick detour on pure will and sweat.

Mike and Rochelle... yeah they actually bickered a little, they pretty much checked out and Rochelle was pretty much a downer.  Pretty much. 

Loved the dance and the roadblock-- very cool.

I was not happy they pulled this twist again...is this going to be the new thing? "We usually have F3 but now we're gonna let you continue to race and eliminate somebody halfway through the final leg".  Yeah okay.

• Love 3

At least the horse looked pretty.

Bland penultimate leg to a bland season. Nobody really bugged. . . as opposed to Survivor, where compost heaps pose as human beings. Not even Hayley bugged that much, though her and Blair winning would suck. Not as hard as the Stink & the Pink "winning" TAR11, but it would still bite.

Meanwhile, Mike & Rochelle get dogged by a bad taxi, bad judgment (they found the wrong clown), a Bald Snark on the Detour, lack of coordination, and Rochelle's unsteady nerves. Seeing them get saved isn't as much fun as watching Amy & Maya survive last season . . .though that's not fair to M&R, since neither of them was as delightfully manic as Maya. And if M&R win, CBS would probably still demand an "all stranger" edition of TAR. If the show gets renewed, of course.

Man, can you imagine Blair & Hayley going to India in TAR conditions? They're lucky to get a trip there as a prize.

• Love 2

Rochelle was assisted in the last road block. You all see the guy pushing her toward the buoy? I know they'll probably be bunched on the final flight, but if Mike and Rochelle end up winning after receiving help I won't be happy.

I agree!  I would not have noticed had you not mentioned it.   I went back a watched again.  Thank you!  

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually found this to be a good leg, in that was quite physically taxing and had enough interesting goings-on.

I was all set to forget anything that happened earlier in the season and happily root for any team that mentioned 'I'M PACKIN IT' while forming the bricks.  Sadly, it appears every season the casting gets further and further away from actual long-time fans of the show.  So I'll continue to root for Mike and Rochelle next week (though I'm leaving town on Wednesday and not returning til the 22nd....what are the odds I remain unspoiled for over a week?)

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 3

Still strongly dislike this format with four teams and a mid-leg arbitrary elimination in the finale.  I thought that was a relatively well designed leg with challenging but fair tasks and fantastic scenery.  Wish there wasn't so much dancing this season, but have to try to pretend there's romance I guess.

Also saw Rochelle got a push, which boooooo

Speaking of was it just me or did the dancing costumes make Mike look a little smaller than he is and Rochelle a little bigger?

• Love 7

Ugh...always hate when someone starts up about how they could use the prize money more than other contestants in the race.  Queen for a Day went off the air in 1964.  It's not as though a lot of people with better financial prospects didn't put in a lot of hard work or sacrifice in the choices they made along the way to get what they have. 

• Love 17
(edited)

Man, did reading the clue correctly two weeks ago so they could get that earlier flight make B&H and J&J's race lives easy or what? They've basically gotten to coast into the final three....I mean four.

This was just a death leg all around for Mike and Rochelle. Car trouble on top of a detour and roadblock combo that was going to be extremely hard without any time cushion. And yes it certainly did seem like Rochelle was assisted during the roadblock...it makes me wonder if they are so far behind they just needed them to reach the pitstop due to the nature of the non elimination. If they avoid finishing fourth I'll be shocked...

Still will root for J&J (who I liked right off the bat and have enjoyed seeing them overcome the lows of some of the middle legs) but mad props to Tyler on the wheelbarrow and Laura on the paddleboat. They are more than competent and would be the furthest from an undeserving winning team.

On pins and needles this weekend hoping TAR doesn't go out on a gimmick season that messed w/ it's mojo right from the early legs...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

Does that taxi driver really try to brake his vehicle with the handbrake?

Blair is the only one who does not wear the life vest on the Road Black as he seems the one with the most control of the raft. Good Sailor, make the U.S. Navy proud.

From their physical appearance, one would think that Laura is stronger than Hayley. However, Laura let Tyler do all the heavy lifting, literally. The wheelbarrow and the extra brick and the raft. Hayley at least helps Blair sharing the load.

Next week: if the teams are in AT&T Stadium, why are they wearing the Raiders' colors?

I certainly hope that the four-team finale gimmick is something purposely designed, as it was there last season. Otherwise, one might think that this was something TPTB pulled to keep a couple in relationship in the race.

• Love 3

This was just a death leg all around for Mike and Rochelle. Car trouble on top of a detour and roadblock combo that was going to be extremely hard without any time cushion. And yes it certainly did seem like Rochelle was assisted during the roadblock...it makes me wonder if they are so far behind they just needed them to reach the pitstop due to the nature of the non elimination.

I don't like that Mike and Rochelle all but gave up but they will be on equall grounds because all 4 teams will probably be on the same flight. Also, there seems to be no additional task because Phil didn't mention it which also keeps M&R on equal footing. The TAR should go back to its original 3 team concept.

• Love 7
I don't like that Mike and Rochelle all but gave up but they will be on equall grounds because all 4 teams will probably be on the same flight.

To be continued legs can be fun when everybody is grouped together. It keeps things going.

To be continued are annoying going into the finale when one team is far behind and the next thing is a big  bunched. Way to make the leg pointless.

Although I loved to watch Colin lose in Dallas, it was a little less satisfying knowing it happened because one team was so far behind, it actually gave them an advantage (the leading teams were told that the flights were cancelled due to weather and went to the hotel. The lagging team arrived after the airport was able to suddenly open). I don't mind a little luck, but I also want to see some competent racing rewarded too.

• Love 2

The only two teams I want to see win are Tyler/Laura or Hayley/Blair.  Both were great tonight.  Tyler/Laura started out in last, but never gave up.  They got lucky a little bit with Mike/Rochelle's taxi trouble.  But still.  Tyler was an absolute monster on the brick detour.  He got all the bricks in one load.  Didn't complain when Laura broke a brick.  Lifted the raft all by himself.

I really liked Hayley/Blair tonight.  Loved their teasing and fake bickering at the bricks.  They seem to have similar senses of humour. Blair rocked the raft task, and she was so supportive of him.  She was cheering him on and encouraging, and I really liked when she said that she was so proud of him.  From complete strangers to being so proud of him in three weeks, they have come a long way.  Being proud of him means that they at least have made a bond and connection on some level.  You aren't usually proud of someone you absolutely dislike.  I can see them being friends post-race, in a brother/sister kind of way.

Jelani and Jenny... ehhhh.  Something about her just really bugs me.  Too intense.

Rochelle and Mike.  I went from annoyance at them that they are still here to full blown hate.  Oh woe is them.  I hated her for saying that she and Mike need the money more than the other teams do.  Why is that?  Because they're blue collar hicks and she's a single mom?  Because the other teams aren't couples?  You don't have to be married or dating to appreciate $500,000.

These two keep bumbling along.  I did feel bad for her at the dancing.  I know she's not a skinny minnie like the other women, but the outfit they gave her to wear for the dancing made her look like a refrigerator.  It was so boxy and rectangular.  But then my little goodwill was lost when she gave up at the raft.  Then she got pushed by the locals.  I call BS.  These two had better be the early elimination before the final pit stop.  Also, no Speed Bump for them, since it was a TBC?  Even more BS.

From their physical appearance, one would think that Laura is stronger than Hayley. However, Laura let Tyler do all the heavy lifting, literally. The wheelbarrow and the extra brick and the raft. Hayley at least helps Blair sharing the load.

Yeah, but did you see them with their shirts off?  Tyler is taller and has a lot more muscle than Blair.  Tyler also took twice as many bricks as Blair did.  There's no way Laura was going to be even able to move it when he himself was struggling.  Half the bricks is still heavy I'm sure, but manageable.  It made sense for Tyler to carry the extra brick they had to go back for as well, because he could run with it, I don't know if she would be able to.  

• Love 6

I don't mind the four team finale too much, as its clearly just an attempt by production to encourage a closer finish.  Last season was a pretty close finish with 3 teams at the final challenge together, whereas if Amy and Maya were eliminated in leg 11, the finale would have just been the dentists against the surfers with the wrestlers still lost today looking for the first clue.

However, I'm in favor of ditching the mid leg elimination, and just letting all 4 run the whole leg.

• Love 5

Ugh...always hate when someone starts up about how they could use the prize money more than other contestants in the race.  Queen for a Day went off the air in 1964.  It's not as though a lot of people with better financial prospects didn't put in a lot of hard work or sacrifice in the choices they made along the way to get what they have.

I agree. It reminds me of Mark and "Bopper," who were not very well off and had a lot of medical bills to pay off, which I know only because they kept telling us so. And then when Bopper had to leave for medical reasons in All-Stars and Mallory took his place, their elimination was portrayed almost as a tragedy! It's similar to all those singing competitions, too - I hate it when contestants say that they need this more, this will change their family's life....

• Love 4

I agree. It reminds me of Mark and "Bopper," who were not very well off and had a lot of medical bills to pay off, which I know only because they kept telling us so. And then when Bopper had to leave for medical reasons in All-Stars and Mallory took his place, their elimination was portrayed almost as a tragedy! It's similar to all those singing competitions, too - I hate it when contestants say that they need this more, this will change their family's life....

Totally.  I especially hated when Mark said "I guess God doesn't want me to win a million dollars."  Uh.... God has better things to do, you pathetic asshole.

I forgot to mention the funniest part of the episode.  The ending, with the traditional "we're going to win the Amazing Race" pep talk clips.  They finish with Hayley and Blair.  Hayley confidently says "we got this".  Then as it fades to the logo, we hear Hayley saying "you're going to listen to me, right?"  Foreshadowing a win by them?  I dunno.

• Love 3

I'm totally with Tyler. Get the fuck out of my face, clown, and just give me the damn clue. I wouldn't have even been on the same side of the street as that thing, I would have made my husband go get the clue and bring it back to me.

And the show took a little fun out of searching the mosaic by giving them a picture.

• Love 5

Tyler's seal clap with the fake enthusiasm was funny,

Another thing with Jenny, when the local woman says, "act like you are going to kiss him" she was all "oh hell no" because she has a boyfriend back home.

What if either of the two gay teams had made it this far?  Would one of them have to take the woman's part?  Have we seen couples dancing in past seasons, and a male/male team doing it?  I want to say we have but maybe I am mistaken.

I think there were.. but I couldn't say if they were actual detours or not.  I remember the Oklahoma boys having to dance a male/female dance and one of them was extremely upset about performing the female part (and dressing as the female).

I actually found Hayley's comments humorous this episode. Still loving Blair.

I am disgusted with Rochelle and her getting special help. They should have been eliminated or at least given an extra task in the final leg for getting help. Her attitude about "deserving" the $ more than others is just making me want them to be the 1st to be eliminated. I don't dislike them but I also don't want them to win (Mike seems cool but they bore me and she irritated me this episodes multiple times).

I'd like Blair to win but I think Tyler and Laura are going to win. J & J haven't been getting much screen time imo until this episode (some at the beginning of the series but nothing like B&H or T&L) so I don't think they are the winners.

I wasn't a fan of some of them trash talking other teams but I think they were just responding to questions/prompts from the producers/directors.

After seeing this episode, I want B&H to win….or anyone except M&R (they should have been given a punishment for the next leg or  eliminated~I am not a fan of this being a non elimination leg and then all the teams getting bunched up which makes this leg irrelevant)

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm a little worried that Blair and Hayley (particularly Hayley) have enjoyed such a redemption or rehabilitation arc the last few episodes that might foreshadow a win that would be hard for me to stomach. YMMV of course.

Also...I'm hopeful that the teams won't be spoonfed one flight they all have to take from Lima to (ultimately) Dallas. If that doesn't happen, then I think M&R are far enough behind that they certainly wouldn't make a flight w/ B&H and J&J and it'd be a toss up if they could at least catch up to a hypothetical second flight w/ T&L. In that scenario it would take a catastrophic error from one of the other teams on U.S. soil or an hours of operation bunch to avoid lagging behind significantly throughout the whole leg...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

At least the horse looked pretty.Mike & Rochelle get dogged by a bad taxi, bad judgment (they found the wrong clown)

Aside from the fact that all clowns are wrong, and there is never a "right" clown, why was there another clown? Was it planted by TAR production? Do clowns just roam the streets of Peru?

• Love 16

The NEL was guessable early on with the shots of all the teams in the same location (the Pit Stop overlooking the coast) and neither of the trailing teams looking sad. (Though it was weirdly presented as a keep-racing TBC, but only to the final team, it's clearly a spoonfed flight, so that's how they got the post-leg shots.)

Looks like the non-elim F4 and mid-finale elimination is something that TPTB are going to stick with, perhaps because it adds a bit more drama to the last leg, and also perhaps because it's a bit harsh to ask a team to play decoy straight after an elimination.

The leg itself: good locations, well-balanced Detour for once with judges on both sides who kept it even. Nice to see Road Block limits kicking in, too. Tyler and Laura don't look comfortable racing from the back (a bonus clip shows how they bled time at the Chan Chan site) so they'll benefit from the bunch. Mike and Rochelle are nice but all the challenges become a drag for them, and it's often painful to watch. Blair and Hayley seem to be acting out a kind of meta-relationship. It's bizarre, and probably only works when they have a healthy lead, but it's better than what has come before.

I went from being annoyed at the structure of a leg that wouldn't allow teams to close the substantial time gaps between their start times to annoyed that it was a non-elim saving a team that basically gave up multiple times during the day.

Usually, Bald Snark-ing the detour is extremely risky, but this season, with so many unbalanced sides, Rochelle & Mike's decision to ditch the bricks was significantly less so.

Next week: if the teams are in AT&T Stadium, why are they wearing the Raiders' colors?

I am 99% sure that was a Dallas Cowboys uni Blair (?) was wearing -- he looked just like Tony Romo.

If all the other brakes in the car are screwed, yes you do.

Sorry, I do not think we do. Shift the gear to the lower gear, gently let go the clutch. Do that until 1st gear, then turn the engine off. For manual transmission anyway, which the taxi is.

The NEL was guessable early on with the shots of all the teams in the same location (the Pit Stop overlooking the coast) and neither of the trailing teams looking sad.

Yeah, that's what I guessed too. Especially as Rochelle's meltdown* went on longer and longer, I figured there's no way she'd be as together as she appeared in the post-leg interviews if they actually were Philiminated. 

Re: said *meltdown: that was tough to watch. This seemed like a really tough, physical leg on top of the scary ass broken-brakes-while-driving-down-a-mountain situation. I think she just lost it, and I get it...but even as a Mike and Rochelle fan it's hard to feel like they deserve to still be in it. Especially with that boat assist, which the Amazing Editors really should have edited out if they didn't want us to see it.

In other news: Blair is the best. Everyone else left? Meh.

• Love 4
Sorry, I do not think we do. Shift the gear to the lower gear, gently let go the clutch. Do that until 1st gear, then turn the engine off. For manual transmission anyway, which the taxi is.

Assuming of course that the cab driver knew what he was doing.

The NEL was guessable early on with the shots of all the teams in the same location (the Pit Stop overlooking the coast) and neither of the trailing teams looking sad. (Though it was weirdly presented as a keep-racing TBC, but only to the final team, it's clearly a spoonfed flight, so that's how they got the post-leg shots.)

The other thing that I noticed was that the editors left a shot in where you could see the clue envelope in Phil's back pocket before B&H got to the mat, then it wasn't mentioned until M&R got there, which made for a confusing couple of minutes. They just didn't seem to be on their A game this week.

(edited)

I´m disappointed... Like just one U-turn this season?! Once again, another very predictable leg where only a broken car made some difference on teams placement (allright, taking in count the leg, M&R would have problems anyway but it would be a closer race and maybe not being last/starting the leg with such a bad luck wouldnt make them so defeated). Also the tasks... B.O.R.I.N.G.. At least I laugh at Jenni laughing on Jelani´s struggle than stopping herself.

As far as Hayley behavior, I still need to see how much she will hold her tongue when they are not leading with no teams around them.

Edited by Guiaoshi
(edited)

They just didn't seem to be on their A game this week.

Yeah, F3 deciders have often been the best legs in past seasons, because they're still outside the US and don't have the structural limitations of a finale. In earlier seasons, the planning wasn't necessarily as smooth as it's now become, but the intensity was there.

The TBC conceit at the end of this leg was just to avoid talking about Speed Bumps. It's a NEL in all but name, but because they've said "keep racing" and handed out a clue, it passes some kind of rule muster.

Edited by etagloh
  • Love 1

NOW Hayley & Blair decide to get along? I don't want them to win, I can't stand Hayley & I don't want her winning any money.

When Mike & Rochelle changed tasks, I thought "that's it, they're gone" but as they kept coming back to them, I realized it was going to be 4 teams competing to the end.

• Love 1

Jelani and Jenny... ehhhh.  Something about her just really bugs me.

Maybe because she is a first class bitch? I could not believe it when Jelani was having a hard time on the raft due to some very big waves (heck, I was worried for him and I don't even know him) and she LAUGHED? This is a person she has spent weeks paired with through some very challenging tasks, is her partner in an amazing race, and her reaction to his difficulty in dealing with the waves (which anyone would have had IMO) is to LAUGH? I cannot convey how much I dislike this woman. I really like Jelani, but not enough to root for him to win since the witch would get half.

The clown was just plain creepy. Even for a clown.

I don't mind their being 4 teams in the final. I just hope no team gets behind due to something like a car breaking down. I know it is part of the race, but especially for the final I would hate for a team to lose due to something that is just bad luck and out of their control.

• Love 4

OK, who are these new people they allowed to race and win this leg? And what happened to the Bickersons? I don't who these people are, but what have the done with the REAL Haley and Blair? If I was Phil, I'd be checking for pod people cocoons in their hotel room. I almost wanted to hear Phil ask about their functioning relationship because it was so good, and I've hated everything about this Bachelor(ette) edition of TAR. Seriously though, congrats to them for finally getting their act together. I still can't stand Haley's voice tone even when she's being encouraging, but I could actually grow to like her like this.

As nice as Mike and Rochelle are, they shouldn't still be around. But I guess every season has to have its unkillable cockroaches. Her meltdown wasn't fun to watch though. Don't think I want them to win though.

Actually, I don't think I'm rooting for any team to win. Nor lose for that matter. What a blah season, but at least I don't actively despise everyone like on Survivor. I really hope TAR returns, but not if they do another dating edition.

As far as the TBC leg at this juncture, it's no different than a NEL. Keeping it from the audience like that was a cheap trick by the editors though. Just show us since if it was obvious from early on that something was coming up. While I wish they didn't have these special legs on the penultimate episode, it's not an entirely new thing either.

However, the new thing that I wish they'd get rid of and NEVER use again is the mid-leg elimination in the final leg. I hated it the last time, and I still hate it now.

(edited)

Blair really is the best. Loved how he said 'Hola, perro!' to the dog, love how he can speak Spanish, love how polite he is to all the locals he meets (and how much he loves his 99 year old grandma). I think the only way he can get along with spoiled narcissist Haley is to go above and beyond with treating her like a princess -- she seems to eat that up. And also, he looks very attractive when he's all mussed and dirtied up, and his body is *sick*.

I can't believe I'm saying all this about him considering how his intro reel at the beginning of the season made me think he was arrogant and unlikable with all his blather about how he can't find a woman who meets his extremely high standards.

Edited by pamplemousse
  • Love 9

Out of curiosity, I checked on the process that you site here and it appears that this procedure is only partially correct.  Also, as stated above, the emergency brake *can* be used but that is not the full answer either, and you have to use it cautiously.  

I recommend that readers either Google the procedure, read their car manual (what to do may be mentioned) or maybe, ask a mechanic.  (FYI: It MUST be mentioned that the power steering could fail or steering can lock if you turn off the engine…that's bad news, too, if you are moving fast…no control.)

Lastly, it would't bother me a bit if the mods decide to remove my post and the above related posts since posting the correct and complete procedure is not pertinent to the topic.  

• Love 1
Blair really is the best. Loved how he said 'Hola, perro!' to the dog, love how he can speak Spanish, love how polite he is to all the locals he meets (and how much he loves his 99 year old grandma). I think the only way he can get along with spoiled narcissist Haley is to go above and beyond with treating her like a princess -- she seems to eat that up.

You forgot Blair's librarian joke in the cab - I loved it!

I've  actually come to kinda like Haley too. I don't think she is a spoiled narcissist, or that she is being mean or entitled when she goes on her "you have to listen to me" rants. I think that's just her honest way of trying to solve the problem at hand. She sees (or thinks she sees) that the current approach is not working, so she tries to take matters into her own hands. Not that her way is good, being mostly just yelling, but she doesn't do it for self-aggrandizement or to put down Blair just for the sake of it. Besides, it's hilarious, especially since Blair found the right way to react to it. Blair and Haley for the win!

• Love 15

That contrast stood out for me, too. Laura's smugness about how Blair and Hayley are "nimrods" that it would be "the worst" to lose to (along with her needless potato spitting idea) makes me not root for her. I wish Blair & Tyler could win. 

• Love 2

I find it strange no one is discussing the scenes shown in the finale preview at the end of the episode. Personally, I find the preview to be quite a heavy spoiler in terms of probable winners Not sure this was on purpose or what, but my prediction based on the stupid preview is Tyler/Laura and Jenny/Jelani would be racing on foot to the finish line.

Winners going to be Tyler and Laura because he has longer legs and she is more athletic looking. M/R is eliminated half-way which would lead to Blair and Hayley finishing third and considerably behind the first two.

What do you guys think?

I forgot to mention the funniest part of the episode.  The ending, with the traditional "we're going to win the Amazing Race" pep talk clips.  They finish with Hayley and Blair.  Hayley confidently says "we got this".  Then as it fades to the logo, we hear Hayley saying "you're going to listen to me, right?" 

That made me laugh.  The editors are having a field day with Hayley.  I don't know how I went from disliking them intensely early on (especially Blair) to thinking they are adorable together.  They are a sit com.

Do clowns just roam the streets of Peru?

Crossing Peru off my bucket list.

Is TAR in danger of being cancelled?  I've seen a couple references to IF it is coming back.

• Love 3