Type keyword(s) to search

The Unauthorized Full House Story (Lifetime)

Aside from that, I didn't get the impression that there was ever any real drama behind the scenes.

I suppose Bob Saget years later telling dirty jokes about the people who played his kids, and him trying hard not to make a face whenever the bible thumping antics of the Cameron family came up in an interview.

But during the show?  Nah.  I'm sure there will be lots of backstrage mocked up stuff about Saget bemoaning the shitty puerile scripts.  And maybe the Olsen's Momager being a Momager.  Or maybe Dave Coulier was secretly a jerk, or vague mentions of how many chicks John Stamos banged.

• Love 1
(edited)

Aside from that, I didn't get the impression that there was ever any real drama behind the scenes.

That didn't stop Lifetime from making that Saved by the Bell movie last year. Maybe they'll try to throw in set visits from Kirk Cameron and Alanis to spice things up.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

I'll only watch if Uncle Jesse and his family are still living in the attic

That house had more floors than any house ever. Every time they needed a new room, they suddenly had another floor.

But during the show? Nah. I'm sure there will be lots of backstrage mocked up stuff about Saget bemoaning the shitty puerile scripts. And maybe the Olsen's Momager being a Momager. Or maybe Dave Coulier was secretly a jerk, or vague mentions of how many chicks John Stamos banged.

Wow good calls! That was basically it!

• Love 1

Ugh this was soooo boring. Bring on BH90210/Melrose. I also want a damn Growing Pains tell-all that exposes Kirk Cameron on his bullshit.

Years ago there was an E True Hollywood Story about Growing Pains, and it was basically the producers bitching about how difficult it was to deal with Kirk Cameron. 

But yeah, this Full House one was boring.   There must have been more drama they could have played up.  And it was really annoying that when they showed them playing scenes that were supposed to be from the show they were not actual scenes that aired on Full House.  Maybe it's a copyright thing?  But they even referred to Joey as "Uncle Joey."  They never did that on the show.

• Love 1

Weren't the twins only a few months old when the show started? In this stupid movie they were little annoying tykes who kept moving left & right. It really does prove that the Olsen twins had "it". The girl playing DJ was not as pretty as Candice Cameron. Faux Jody Sweeten was pretty spot on. Saget, Stamos & Coulier were kind of icky. My only question was why was the set not an exact replica? It's not like they didn't know what it looked like. Also, these Lifetime movies are horrible! They are so bad that they're BAD which isn't. Good. LOL!!!!

• Love 2

The Olsen twins were way too old in this movie. I remember when the show first aired and was amazed at how actual babies were such good actors even when they couldn't really talk yet. They were great. These two were not nearly as cute and they were at least one to two years too old for the start of the show.  Very annoying.

Other than that, the acting was pretty bad all around.  Boring movie, bad acting, no genuine conflict really.  I don't know why they bothered with this one. 

• Love 1

Why didn't they have Uncle Jesse sing "Forever?

I thought the kids looked kind of creepy which is kinder then the tweets were.

I remember when Lifetime use to air good movies. Once in awhile they make something decent but that's it.

(edited)

I haven't watched it yet, and I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to do it, either.

For the record, though, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen were only nine months old when they auditioned for Full House, and it was their first (and most likely their only) audition. It's for that reason alone that I have a very hard time giving them much crap. They will never truly know what it's like to have an anonymous life (not unlike celebrity children, I guess, like Lisa Marie Presley, but unlike LMP and others like her they don't even have that excuse!), because they started on FH before they could even talk, and they were doing their DTV series by the time the show ended. Even with the story about how they treated their interns (and the fact that they are obviously richer than God), I'll always have a soft spot for them in my heart. I grew up with them, really.

Fun fact: Not only are MK&A fraternal twins despite having similar features, so are Erin & Diane Murphy, the twins who played Tabitha on Bewitched. As they got older, they started to resemble to each other less (I seem to recall reading that Diane, having darker hair than Erin, may have even worn a wig at one point), and once they were old enough not to worry about labor laws involving babies/twins, Erin took over the role full time.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Not that anything dramatic happened, but it was less boring than the Saved by the Bell one. A low bar, but by the time they get around to The Unauthorized Growing Pains Story* these things might actually be entertaining or even good. For a Lifetime movie done on the cheap, the likenesses of the actors, overall, weren't too bad. IRL the kids were constantly growing but a TV movie like this is filmed in a matter of weeks, so they cast the girls somewhere in the middle and hoped you wouldn't notice too much when they were too young or too old. I thought the guy who played Bob Saget channeled him pretty well. I'd forgotten that Stamos had ever gone out with Paula Abdul!

The 90210 and Melrose Place movies are already in the can so what other TV shows will join Lifetime's "unauthorized" behind-the-scenes movies? The Fresh Prince of Bel Air? Dawson's Creek? Desperate Housewives, if it's not too soon for 2000s nostalgia?

*I just made that up. Lifetime's not making that one, yet, but there's actual drama there between Kirk's religious conversion and Tracey Gold's eating disorder. In the early years they can play up the Alan Thicke/Joanna Kerns chemistry (there was an attraction but they decided against dating), and later on, Leo!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

Was there anything in this movie about the pressure the producers put on Candace Cameron Bure to lose weight when she was still a young teen? Because they started to give her some in the middle of the shows' run, and her parents set up her up with a personal trainer, and she was noticeably in much better shape during the last two seasons because of it (although she did briefly struggle with bulimia early on in her marriage, when she moved to Canada when her husband was playing hockey there, and she was really living far away from her family and friends for the first time--although she did spend one summer in Spain as a foreign exchange student, just like DJ did).

Was there anything in this movie about the pressure the producers put on Candace Cameron Bure to lose weight when she was still a young teen? Because they started to give her some in the middle of the shows' run, and her parents set up her up with a personal trainer, and she was noticeably in much better shape during the last two seasons because of it (although she did briefly struggle with bulimia early on in her marriage, when she moved to Canada when her husband was playing hockey there, and she was really living far away from her family and friends for the first time--although she did spend one summer in Spain as a foreign exchange student, just like DJ did).

Eh, not really. There was one scene where she was reading a tabloid about Tracy Gold and talked to John Stamos about it. She said they wrote stuff about her too, like that she was "chubby" but she didn't think she was. The best part of that scene was they managed to throw in some Kirk shade: "Kirk says I just need to find God and everything will fall into place."

• Love 6

I did learn one thing via this horrible move. I didn't know that Saget wasn't the oringal Danny Tanner. I guess original Danny must be killing himself or not killing himself of not being apart of Full House. I guess it's a double edged sword issue, right?

Did u watch the "news" thing that aired after this show? They showed clips from the original pilot and an interview w/the original actor who played Danny Tanner, John Posey. It was obvious Saget was the better choice. The sad part was that Posey had already packed up his house, as he lived on the east coast I think he said, and was in the midst of driving out to to California w/ all his stuff when he got the news that he had been recast.

The actor who portrayed Saget did have the voice down and at times looked like him in this movie.

Teenage Kimmy Gibbler kinda looked like Andrea Barber in some scenes.

I didn't realize, not sure if it's true though, that MK&A's mother didn't like the idea of her daughters making money hand over fist and it was the dad who went money hungry in the end and divorced and all that.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

Did you notice that the show ended in 1995. It then said 2 years later (so 1997) when it showed Candace meeting her husband, then their wedding said 1996? Talk about not paying attention to detail.

• Love 2

It was in the news a few years ago about how they were worth billions, but their dad went into foreclosure on his house owing millions and filed for bankruptcy. So the money hungry dad plot was probably to allude to that. 

• Love 1

My only question was why was the set not an exact replica? It's not like they didn't know what it looked like. Also, these Lifetime movies are horrible! They are so bad that they're BAD which isn't. Good. LOL!!!!

The Full House sets were soooooo bad. They were absolutely nothing like the actual sets. I thought this was even worse than the casting.

Also, Bob Saget's kitchen, the show exec's offices, and other sets in this movie were totally from the 2010s. The offices had mesh work chairs, which I don't think even existed in the 80s.

• Love 1

It was in the news a few years ago about how they were worth billions, but their dad went into foreclosure on his house owing millions and filed for bankruptcy. So the money hungry dad plot was probably to allude to that.

Yeah, I think as was the Jodie Sweetin character having a mini-breakdown/panic attack when they were told the show cancelled.  I figured that was an allusion to her having the roughest time post-Full House.

I couldn't figure out why they couldn't match the sets or the scripts either.  I kept thinking the easter egg-dyeing scene was maybe from the unaired pilot...but nope.  I wonder if they re-created the set as well as use excerpts from actual scripts they would have to pay ABC and the writers of those episodes.

I too noticed they were cautious when it came to talking about Candace and Kirk Cameron, I'm guessing they figured these two wouldn't be as roll with the punches as the rest of the cast and would actually be litigious if they thought it necessary.  That's why i'm hoping they are working on a Growing Pains film but are being slow and cautious as to not incur the wrath of Kirk Cameron and the Kingdom of God.

I found it funny that they left out Jessie and Becky's twins...I guess the budget ran out.

The 90210 and Melrose Place movies are already in the can so what other TV shows will join Lifetime's "unauthorized" behind-the-scenes movies? The Fresh Prince of Bel Air? Dawson's Creek? Desperate Housewives, if it's not too soon for 2000s nostalgia?

I would love a DH tell all film, but i'm thinking since they are currently in the business w/ Cherry as well as Nicolette Sheridan still out for Cherry's throat over the "hitting" incident they know not to touch this one....yet.  Throw me in for a Dawson's Creek and Fresh Prince movies as well.

I'm hoping after Naya Rivera's book w/ the dirt on Glee comes out that Lifetime buys the rights for a scandalous tell-all about the show.  I would totally hope they wouldn't hold back the drama in regards to the relationships behind the scenes and the rumors about Ryan Murphy and some of the guys from the show.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

Yeah, I think as was the Jodie Sweetin character having a mini-breakdown/panic attack when they were told the show cancelled.  I figured that was an allusion to her having the roughest time post-Full House.

I couldn't figure out why they couldn't match the sets or the scripts either.  I kept thinking the easter egg-dyeing scene was maybe from the unaired pilot...but nope.  I wonder if they re-created the set as well as use excerpts from actual scripts they would have to pay ABC and the writers of those episodes.

I too noticed they were cautious when it came to talking about Candace and Kirk Cameron, I'm guessing they figured these two wouldn't be as roll with the punches as the rest of the cast and would actually be litigious if they thought it necessary.  That's why i'm hoping they are working on a Growing Pains film but are being slow and cautious as to not incur the wrath of Kirk Cameron and the Kingdom of God.

I found it funny that they left out Jessie and Becky's twins...I guess the budget ran out.

I wonder if there are some sort of copyright issues with copying the scripts and even the sets too exactly? But the SBTB one referenced Jessie's infamous pill storyline, so maybe the writers here were just lazy. I saw on Twitter that DJ's prom dress was gold, not black, and the set was backwards, not to mention the 2010s kitchen in Bob Saget's house, which would have nothing to do with anything trademarked. I think Jesse and Becky's twins there at the end, when they did the final curtain call.

I would love a DH tell all film, but i'm thinking since they are currently in the business w/ Cherry as well as Nicolette Sheridan still out for Cherry's throat over the "hitting" incident they know not to touch this one....yet.  Throw me in for a Dawson's Creek and Fresh Prince movies as well.

I'm hoping after Naya Rivera's book w/ the dirt on Glee comes out that Lifetime buys the rights for a scandalous tell-all about the show.  I would totally hope they wouldn't hold back the drama in regards to the relationships behind the scenes and the rumors about Ryan Murphy and some of the guys from the show.

Responding in the Lifetime Movies thread.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

I'm not normally into this kind of thing, but I didn't think it was that bad.  Maybe, I was just desperate for something different, but anyway, CAN someone please help me with something?  Who was the actress that played Candice Cameron's MOTHER in this movie?  She looked very familiar, but I can't find her listed anywhere.  

• Love 1

This movie was pretty bad, & there wasn't really anything interesting about the story. It sounded like any other TV show getting on the air.

Yeah. I guess it's kind of refreshing to know there are sets where there's no backstage drama and the cast really gets along. But that doesn't make for a very interesting 2-hour movie.

• Love 1

I guess it's kind of refreshing to know there are sets where there's no backstage drama and the cast really gets along. But that doesn't make for a very interesting 2-hour movie.

I agree.

At the end all I could wonder was why? In the entire process of making this movie it never occurred to anyone it would be boring and pointless?

I agree.

At the end all I could wonder was why? In the entire process of making this movie it never occurred to anyone it would be boring and pointless?

The Saved by the Bell movie was even more boring and more pointless (teen actors have egos, fall for each other, get insecure and smoke a bit of pot sometimes, scandalous!), and let's not even get into the Aaliyah biopic that didn't feature her singing any of her own songs. Lifetime must get enough press and ratings for these "real life" stories that they've decided to make a whole cottage industry out of it. They shouldn't be surprised when audiences are reluctant to take TV efforts like UnREAL seriously because the network's movie division constantly churns out boring biopics and trashy thrillers.

Did the rest of the cast just stand around listening to Stamos jamming with this band? At first I thought those were scenes with Uncle Jesse before realizing they weren't in character.

I know it was true to life but I found Bob Saget's blue humor incredibly tedious.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

There are worse things to do on a Saturday night so I tuned in.  It was nothing special.  I did notice the thing about the sets and it was a similar issue like it was for SBTB: they were in reverse.  Other than a copyright issue, I can't see why they can make it similar to the original.  But no Nicky/Alex, no Comet and none of the catchphrases with a cast that STILL get along makes for snooze TV.  Here's hoping the reboot is worth the effort.

That all said, bring on the 90210 dram o rama.  I look forward to mentions of the I Hate Brenda newsletter and Fox execs figuring out how to sell Gabrielle Carteris as a 16 year old.  Plus Homer Simpson will play Aaron Spelling! 

• Love 1

Did you notice that the show ended in 1995. It then said 2 years later (so 1997) when it showed Candace meeting her husband, then their wedding said 1996? Talk about not paying attention to detail.

Ha!  Yes, I noticed that, too.  The other semi-nitpicky thing I noticed was when the guys were in the dressing room looking at who was most popular the Stamos character said something like "You know how I roll."  I didn't think that expression was being used in that time period.  I rather enjoyed it which surprised the shit out of me because I didn't really like the original TV show because of the cutesy/schmaltz content.  

• Love 1

That all said, bring on the 90210 dram o rama.  I look forward to mentions of the I Hate Brenda newsletter and Fox execs figuring out how to sell Gabrielle Carteris as a 16 year old.  Plus Homer Simpson will play Aaron Spelling! 

This is Lifetime we're talking about here. If their movie comes anywhere near close to the stuff I saw and heard over the years in interviews, on ET or E!, I will be very, very surprised.

It wasn't even just that the Full House sets in the movie were in reverse (which was a big glaring issue on its own), but the entire style of that house was completely different than the real Full House set. The house shown in this movie had a bunch of country knick knacks that looked like they belonged in the Roseanne house, and the building looked like a craftsman or something. It was so different it seems like someone was intentionally trying to create a house that looked absolutely nothing like the real Full House set. 

• Love 1

I thought this was pretty good for Lifetime. I will admit that in the past year or two I've probably just watched so many of these that my standards are super low but I thought this was definitely better than Saved By the Bell and better than most of their biopics. There were different plot lines that carried through the story without things getting too convoluted or off track. The acting wasn't the greatest but everybody had their moments.

Also, the movie seemed to capture some things that people liked about Full House. I mean, the movie itself. There was a lot of humor and banter. There were a lot of "counseling" scenes that felt like they could have been a part of the show like Dave Coulier talking to the mom of the Olsen twins about getting a nanny or Bob Saget talking to his wife about his career or John Stamos talking to Candice Cameron about fame and John Stamos' talking to him about his career.

Yes, I'm sure it was sanitized and that there were plenty of half-truths but on the whole, good job, Lifetime. You put together something watchable. That said, don't get carried away. They were sure to air commercials for the Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose place versions of these Lifetime movies + E! True Hollywood Story mashups they seem to be doubling down on.

• Love 1

Nicky and Alex were there in the last scene of them shooting the show.  I don't know what more they could have done with them, they were only on at the end and were really little.  The Olsens were little at the beginning too, but they were more important to the show and had a lot more going on.

Now Comet not being shown, that is just inexcusable. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2

Not that anything dramatic happened, but it was less boring than the Saved by the Bell one. A low bar, but by the time they get around to The Unauthorized Growing Pains Story* these things might actually be entertaining or even good. For a Lifetime movie done on the cheap, the likenesses of the actors, overall, weren't too bad.

I agree. I guess that's why I keep coming back. If they keep improving then eventually they'll get it right and give us the trashy, campy (in a good way) story we've been waiting for.

The Olsens were little at the beginning too, but they were more important to the show and had a lot more going on.

I'm hoping they'll start making unauthorized biopics for people who haven't died yet.

If they are willing to go back to older shows, it might be interesting to see biopics on Eight Is Enough or Bewitched, as there was drama surrounding certain members of the cast before and after they aired. 

• Love 3
Did the rest of the cast just stand around listening to Stamos jamming with this band? At first I thought those were scenes with Uncle Jesse before realizing they weren't in character.

The second or third time they were all jamming with "Stamos" I remembered the closing scene of that Kristen Wiig/Will Ferrell Lifetime movie, and laughed and laughed.

I thought the casting for the leads was good in terms of approximating looks, and the Saget guy nailed the voice, but none of them could act.  In fact, when the lady who played Saget's sister appeared on screen, we said "wait a sec -- she can act!  What's she doing here?"

I never watched the show (though I saw bits of it here and there over the years). I'm a sucker for behind the scenes stuff, however.  The Oleson twins were really homely babies - why they cast cute 5 year olds to play them, I don't know.  And I don't remember Candace Cameron having a speech impediment.  

I also kept staring at the woman playing Candace Cameron's mother -- she bears a resemblance to Patricia Clarkson -- maybe just that?

An article I read (either Rolling Stone or Variety) said they weren't allowed to use anything that was a trademark of the show--not the set design or any of the catchphrase ("Have mercy," "you got it, dude," etc.).

I thought it was pretty awful. That said, I'm still going to watch the 90210 pic.

• Love 1

An article I read (either Rolling Stone or Variety) said they weren't allowed to use anything that was a trademark of the show--not the set design or any of the catchphrase ("Have mercy," "you got it, dude," etc.).

I thought it was pretty awful. That said, I'm still going to watch the 90210 pic.

So...they couldn't copy the sets, the sayings or actual storylines, and nothing shocking actually happened: what is the point of these "unauthorized" biopics again?

The ratings are in, and the movie got around 1.6 million viewers in its first airing, about the same as the SBTB one, though with lower 18-49 numbers.

Edited by Dejana