Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: You Don't Know Jack

As for Renard, it seems he is Jack the Ripper which makes me really sad for Renard.

Crap. That never occurred to me, I hope you're wrong.

Short of generating some new competing "Royals" faction, they couldn't have picked a longer, more boring storyline to do again.

I think you may have forgotten about the "Juliette is in a coma" storyline.

• Love 4

I think Renard pretty much HAS to be Jack the Ripper at this point. Otherwise, why kill Henrietta? It's a radical departure from his usual M.O. of picking up seemingly defenseless wessen prostitutes off the street. He went to seek her out right after she talked with Renard and got agitated about what he was saying, like maybe she knew what was happening and might have been able to help him. The only way that makes sense is if Jack knew he needed to bump her off to keep her from loosening his grip on Renard. Plus it's the only "reasonable" (boy, a single set of quotation marks just doesn't seem enough, does it?) explanation for his blackouts and violent behaviour, insofar as they've been "subtly" worked into the story just in time for this development.

I was all set to hate on Adalind full speed ahead, but I found myself enjoying her despite myself! Claire Coffee is a damn charismatic actress. I did get rather frustrated, however, with the extended recap of the season she gave to her dead mother. I was literally shouting at my TV, "We know! We just saw that happen! Why are you expositioning?!" But maybe it's just me. I can't stand it when shows have characters experience something, and then turn around and explain what they just experienced in excruciating detail to someone else as pointless filler.

No way they're killing off Juliette. Or if they do, it won't be by making her so evil she needs to be taken out. I have a feeling they want us to feel heartbroken at how far she's fallen so that we'll be overjoyed when she's finally saved and returns to the Juliette we all know and... don't really care about at all. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I actually have ANOTHER problem with shows that have the "good guys" give up on seeing the humanity in their enemies and decide to just kill them so they don't have to deal with them anymore. As if "shoot at it until it stops bothering you" is an acceptable problem-solving strategy. I would have a big problem with Juliette, a character supposedly well liked by the others and under the influence of something potentially-reversible that was done to her without her consent, being murdered by her closest friends for being "evil."... But I don't see it happening, even though I've gotten on Grimm's case for that kind of lazy dubious morality before, because this show loves to tease big changes, but always seems to end up going back to the status quo before too long.

Case in point: Last week, the destruction of the trailer looked like it was going to be a turning point. How was Nick going to solve cases and deal with new Wessen without the crutch of the unfailingly comprehensive books? What doors might this open up, story-wise? Well, the very next episode, here we are doing the exact same thing, poring over the same books for the same answers, just in a different setting. Nothing ever really changes on this show. Juliette will be back to normal too in no time.

So, Rosalee gets the idea to call in Trubel? I knew there was a reason I liked her!

• Love 2
(edited)

At least they gave us a little "requiem for the Grimmebago" at the beginning.  I just still can't believe how stupid they have had to write Nick.  Not only did he leave the trailer vulnerable to attack for years anyway, but he didn't move it or relocate the contents when he knew how strange Juliette was getting, plus he didn't change the password and lock down his computer after Crazy Ass moved out, didn't warn Trubel and Kelly about what had happened to Crazy Ass, etc.

I was glad when Monore woged and was ready to attack Juliette when Rosalie got thrown into the wall. Finally! Someone that doesn't worship the ground Juliette wants on!

I was glad to see someone just 100% pissed off at Juliette, and rightfully so, instead of pussyfooting around her while she makes their lives a living hell - I'm looking at you Nick.  Put that potion in a non-breakable squeeze bottle, knock Juliette out with the ogre blaster or something, and shoot that suppressor right down her hateful little gullet like a REAL Grimm!

For me, one of the most interesting tricks on the whole show was Henrietta's address magically scrambling around on any piece of paper, anytime.  Odd that a woman with that level of self-preservation power let someone stroll right in and slash her jugular.  Henrietta was all set up as a strong ongoing magical character with lots of fun potential and they reduced her to "third Ripper victim," after hooker and hooker's roommate.   Stupid.

I know!  Interesting how awesome Henrietta was until the script called for her not to be.

ETA:  Oh, and why didn't any of the other characters ask Adalind about the lasting power of the suppressor potion?  You'd think that would be something they'd be very interested to know.

Edited by Blue Plastic
  • Love 3

So, Juliette leaves the trailer in total flames, and then what?  The fire magically puts itself out so only a small portion of the contents are burned?  How would there have been anything left at all? The entire trailer is full of combustible and easily burned materials. How does a book survive that?  (OK, how it didn't cause a major forest fire is also left unexplained.)  This is just bad bad writing.  Juliette's character - whether human or hexen - is just boring me to tears.  The writers better pull a major reset before next season (and no, that doesn't mean bringing bad acting Trubel back) or I'm gone, too.

With Henrietta dead, now our heroes have another dead Hexenbiest body to steal organs from so they can make another magic potion. Hopefully if they make the cure again, they won't hand it over to Juliette in a glass bottle and hope for the best. I still can't believe they did something so stupid!

• Love 10

I guess I liked that episode, though I skipped all the Juliette and whatever his name is scenes. I could careless about them. The scenes with Adalind was funny, "thank you mom for being dead".  And it's always nice to see Bud. And having Monroe and Rosalee front in center.

I wasn't surprised about Henrietta's death, she wasn't serving any purpose anyway. My guess is Renard is being controlled.

I hate Juliette and I hope Nick kills her. I don't get why she would shoot herself? I guess we'll find out in the next episode.  Also why were they so dumb to try to do it that way. They needed to trick her into drinking it, or find another way to get it in her. Like knock her out and force her to drink it. This show has gone significantly down hill.

So, Juliette leaves the trailer in total flames, and then what?  The fire magically puts itself out so only a small portion of the contents are burned?  How would there have been anything left at all? The entire trailer is full of combustible and easily burned materials. How does a book survive that?  (OK, how it didn't cause a major forest fire is also left unexplained.)  This is just bad bad writing.  Juliette's character - whether human or hexen - is just boring me to tears.  The writers better pull a major reset before next season (and no, that doesn't mean bringing bad acting Trubel back) or I'm gone, too.

It was raining when Nick and the team got to the trailer so that could have dampened the flames but also should have soaked paper, so, yeah bad writing.

More bad writing -- Juliette's rage/vengeance quest.  It does not track with me that she is both enjoying her power and not wanting an antidote, and wanting big time payback on the people who helped her get the power she now enjoys.  It's just not organic.  Love the new abilities?  Then how about "thanks guys, let's work on a Grimm/Wesen/Hexie/Kersheiten crime-fighting alliance"  Or, "thanks guys, but I'm not feeling monogamous or friendly anymore, so see ya".  But not this stupidity.

• Love 4

I'm thinking less time has passed in show time than real time.  So it's not like Juliette has been full on hexen for weeks, maybe a few days.  If so, I can understand not moving the trailer and them all still thinking or hoping for the best of Juliette.  However, if any main cast gets killed because of her, or semi-recurring character that matter to Nick to (mom, Truble) that should mean all bets are off and have everyone left ready and wanting to kill her.

• Love 2

Adalind spent an entire season performing the most repulsive rituals to get her power back, then voluntarily gives it up to "test" a potion. Leaving her defenseless against the woman trying to kill her. Doesn't seem like her reasons for trying it out we're really valid...if it doesn't work on Juliette, they'll know; if it didn't work on Adalind, they're back where they started. So this looks, to me, like a contrivance to pair nice Adalind with Nick.

• Love 11

Adalind spent an entire season performing the most repulsive rituals to get her power back, then voluntarily gives it up to "test" a potion. Leaving her defenseless against the woman trying to kill her. Doesn't seem like her reasons for trying it out we're really valid...if it doesn't work on Juliette, they'll know; if it didn't work on Adalind, they're back where they started. So this looks, to me, like a contrivance to pair nice Adalind with Nick.

I like to think Adalind is playing another long con. She is at her best worst when she is cunning and loathsome. So I like to think she was testing the potion for her own reasons.  And has a plan. And I hope if that's true that Nick is the one that figures it out because I am tired of dumb!Nick.  I hate it when smart characters are reduced to prop other characters. I could almost buy his stupidity if they were writing it that Nick is just SOOO guilt ridden that he can't see the forest for the trees, but then I remember Nick shouldn't feel guilty for anything because everything that has happened was because of Adalind in the first place. And I reallly hope the show brings it back around to her being a devious piece of shit. Otherwise. this is just dumb.

• Love 1

I'm perfectly okay with Juliette being killed because she is "evil."     Yes she got changed against her will.   But she is doing NOTHING to control her bad side.   In fact, she is kinda enjoying destroying things and harming people.    At that point, with no hint she will try to control it in the future, I am totally cool with offing her.   In fact, I was yelling it at my tv last night.   Just shoot her.   Don't try to reason with her.    

Of course, then we gotta the magic ability to control Nick and force him to shoot one of his friends.    Because it's so much fun making people do things against their will Juliette?    She could have just forced him to drop the gun to protect herself.   

And btw, we have seen hexies move inanimate objects, but controlling people?    Really fi they can do that, why not just force Aunt Marie to slash her own throat all the way back in the beginning of the show?   Why not have Adalind force the gang to tell her where Diana is or force them to contact Kelly?   So much faster than all this intrigue.

• Love 2

Nick!Buffy is so traumatized with grief and guilt that he hasn't yet realized that the only solution is killing Juliette!Angelus.

But Buffy kicked Angelus' ass the first episode he went bad, only not finishing the job by staking him in the heart. Angelus was entertaining as hell to watch, while Juliette isn't. Also Angelus had the awesome Spike and Drusilla to interact with, while Juliette has the boring Prince Kenneth.

I still don't know what the hell is going on with Juliette. They keep writing her as these separate characters, the victim that needs saving, the vengeful witch intent on causing destruction because she was changed, AND the person that loves what happened to her and is drunk on power. They want us to root for her because of her badass kills, but then hate her for her evil actions.

It reminds me of the chipped Spike storyline from Buffy. A villain that has tried to kill the lead character is made less dangerous so they can work with the heroes. Maybe the writers really want to give Clarie Coffee something to do finally? I'd rather she was interacting with Nick's group than be trapped for another season with those boring Royals.
  • Love 2

CC is a better actress than BT, can also do comedy and has always had more chemistry with Nick than Juliette.  As for Juliette, turning a good guy into a villain is a good way to make an uninteresting character or weak actor instantly more dynamic.

Preach it! Claire Coffee injects much needed daffiness into the proceedings. And she and Nick are terrific together. Come on NIck, you know you can't resist. And a little Grimmy-wimmy too! Only a matter of time. Let Juliette go, definitely not worth the drama.

They were all but in particular Nick way too slow on the uptake about Juliette not feeling she needed to be "fixed". Don't hold out the glass of the precious stuff to somebody before you know how they will react.

The torching of the trailer was a big fakeout. They still seem to have most of what they need?

• Love 3

Claire Coffee has always been a better actress than BT. Too bad the writers don't know what the hell to do with those two actresses after the first season.

• Love 5
(edited)

Nick!Buffy can't accept the truth that Juliette!Angelus must be killed until she seriously wounds or kills one of them. He's too tormented by guilt and grief to believe it's hopeless. The cliffhanger with Monroe felt like a Jenny Calendar moment.

I think Juliette's powers are much stronger than any other Hexie hence the reason Adalind couldn't use similar tactics against Marie.

Does Sean have powers beyond super strength? I was wondering if the plot contrivance of Possessed!Sean was to keep the Grimmies from having access to someone whose powers combined with Adalind's and Henrietta's might rival Juliette's? The writing here is less than stellar...

Edited by chrisvee

plus he didn't change the password and lock down his computer after Crazy Ass moved out, didn't warn Trubel and Kelly about what had happened to Crazy Ass, etc.

When he came home & he was looking through the house to make sure Juliette wasn't there, they showed him looking at the computer mouse, so I think that he read the emails and at least warned Kelly.

I'm perfectly okay with Juliette being killed because she is "evil."     Yes she got changed against her will.   But she is doing NOTHING to control her bad side.

But... that's it exactly. She's NOT in control of herself. The real Juliette would never do these things. Something else is influencing her in a way that is just stronger than she is. Of course she can't just DECIDE to be in control again, that's how not being in control WORKS! Juliette is not Angelus in the Buffy plotline rip-off. She's Willow! Dark Willow who got a taste of power and was taken over by it. She wasn't a different person, she was just Willow under the influence of dark magic to the point where she was destructive and beyond reason. Eventually, her old self will find a foothold and fight back. A few months in the English countryside with Giles, and Juliette will be right as rain. Plus, I should also point out, while we're making Buffy comparisons, that Buffy didn't kill Angelus because he was evil beyond redemption. She killed him because he had caused an immediate threat to the safety of the entire world that only his blood could stop. What made it so affecting was that she never did give up on him, and still thought of him as the man she loved, and was forced to kill him to save the world, even while her allies were still scrambling for ways to return him to his former self. The multi-episode build-up to Buffy dealing with his change and becoming even remotely capable of killing him was affecting and hard-earned, and unfortunately, way beyond Grimm's capabilities. The hackneyed "Dark Willow" storyline is MUCH more comparable, and even then, somehow, this is so much worse.

• Love 5

A villain that has tried to kill the lead character is made less dangerous so they can work with the heroes. Maybe the writers really want to give Clarie Coffee something to do finally? I'd rather she was interacting with Nick's group than be trapped for another season with those boring Royals.

Seriously, I'll take Claire over Bitsie any day. I was watching her and Rosalie and she even had more chemistry with her than BT does. Chip, potion, evil spell or pregnancy hormones, I want Adalind on the show and Juliette gone. Maybe if she and Nick can have a rape discussion I might even let my, held back, shipper out.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm confused about Juliette's motivations too. She is claiming to love this power but then hates the people that did it to her? I guess I get her being mad and Nick (even if it isn't his fault Adalind raped him) but what did Monroe and Rosalee do? If anything she should be thanking them than taking her loved power somewhere else. And why the hell would she side with whatever his name is, he's just going to use her. I honestly skipped all their scenes because I could careless about them.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
(edited)

When he came home & he was looking through the house to make sure Juliette wasn't there, they showed him looking at the computer mouse, so I think that he read the emails and at least warned Kelly.

We're those sooty fingerprints that Juliette left? I wasn't sure what I was seeing. I think he knows something is up as well .

I agree Juliette's motivations are a mess but is that one of the characteristics of young Hexies?

Or perhaps the emotionless stare is because Juliette is conning all of them -- Royals and Grimmies.

She's a big threat since there doesn't seem to be a practical limitation to her power yet. If I was Kenneth I'd be worried.

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 2

Juliette deleted both her email to Kelly and Kelly's reply. What kept bothering me was that every time somebody walked into Nick's house, all the lights were on. It wasn't just one light that might be switched by the door, but at least three lamps. Does he just leave them on all the time? Not very green of him. 

I'm glad that some books and weapons were salvaged from the fire, but I was disappointed that Wu didn't reveal the secret Wesen archives on his computer. (that I was hoping he had) Of course you lose the whole Buffiness of the show if they are researching on a computer rather than leafing through ancient books.

I had not considered Renard as the Jack the Ripper character, but it makes perfect sense. (as much as anything does on this show) When his mother brought him back from the dead she unleashed the Ripper spirit. of course! I only wish I had a dollar for every time this has happened to me or somebody I know.

What made me laugh is that my closed captioning helpfully labeled the murderer as "Jack" as soon as he opened his mouth, so I got to be way ahead of the detectives on that one.

I do enjoy Claire Coffee as Adalind, but I couldn't understand why she would test the potion on herself unless the suppression is temporary. And if it is temporary, than what is the point of using it on Juliette? (unless, as somebody upstream suggested, it is part of Adalind's plan to kill Juliette) I kept yelling at Rosalee to pour half of that potion into another container because I was sure that Juliette would destroy the first attempt and they only seemed to need a small amount. But as usual, tv characters never listen to me. 

• Love 4

I do enjoy Claire Coffee as Adalind, but I couldn't understand why she would test the potion on herself unless the suppression is temporary.

Perhaps to de-hex her fetus.

• Love 1

We're those sooty fingerprints that Juliette left? I wasn't sure what I was seeing. I think he knows something is up as well .

We see Hexenvet delete her sent EM & Mom's reply.  Did she then delete them from the trash folder?  Does she have that much presence of mind?

I hate Prince Kenny.  He looks like he ought to be in an Artisanal Chicken commercial for McD's.

• Love 5
(edited)

I guess I'm the first person to comment that the "Jack the Ripper" monster is a straight lift of Redjac from the Star Trek episode "Wolf in the Fold". I feel old. Also, wondering how they'll beat it without transporter technology :-)

I liked that there was some humor around the preparation and testing of the potion, thanks to Claire Coffee and usual MVPs Mitchell and Turner.

Giving Juliette all of the potion in a breakable container and expecting her to drink it voluntarily was monumentally dumb. They had zero reason to think she'd cooperate, and it seems to me they would have had a plan for that, if the writers didn't want to drag this out some more.

Wow, they gave Bud zero information about what was going on and how severe the threat to Adalind really was. Not nice.

I don't have the hate on for Juliette that some people do, but if someone doesn't beat the crap out of smarmy Prince Kenneth sometime soon, I will be very unhappy. Hoping it's Nick's mom.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

I maintain that Jack the Ripper HAS to be Renard.  Sasha Roiz has a very distinctive vocal timbre (tone of voice).  We all have voices that are distinguishable from others.  Jack had that same timbre as Renard, just with a Cockney accent.

• Love 1

Juliette deleted both her email to Kelly and Kelly's reply. 

So they would both still be in the deleted file.

We see Hexenvet delete her sent EM & Mom's reply.  Did she then delete them from the trash folder?  Does she have that much presence of mind?

Even if she did (and I doubt it) Nick would probably still be suspicious, he had to know she wasn't looking up recipes for a pot luck.

• Love 2

So they would both still be in the deleted file.

Depends on the program and exactly what kind of deletion she used. My job uses Outlook and there are emails I delete in a way that sends them to the deleted folder, and there are emails I delete in a way that deletes them entirely out of Outlook and off the server. I do that because I ultimately archive all the emails in the deleted folder, and there are emails that just don't need to be archived (spam, automatic notifications, etc.) or shouldn't be archived (sometimes someone emails a credit card number, which is a no-no).

It looked to me like Nick was reacting to the mouse/mousepad being in a slightly different place than he'd left it.

Adalind talking to her mother was the best scene of the episode for me. Also loved all the stuff with her, Rosalee and Monroe working with her mother's body. Love CC. Plus it's nice not to have the show take itself so seriously.

• Love 3
(edited)

More bad writing -- Juliette's rage/vengeance quest.  It does not track with me that she is both enjoying her power and not wanting an antidote, and wanting big time payback on the people who helped her get the power she now enjoys.  It's just not organic.  Love the new abilities?  Then how about "thanks guys, let's work on a Grimm/Wesen/Hexie/Kersheiten crime-fighting alliance"  Or, "thanks guys, but I'm not feeling monogamous or friendly anymore, so see ya".  But not this stupidity.

I imagine there was some behind the scenes pressure to redeem Adalind because TPTB are fond of Claire Coffee and at the same time Bitsie Tulloch wanted something more meaty than being "the girlfriend" so the current plot was hatched to switch the two. I hate it.

I think so, too. I noticed that all through this episode and the last, Adalind's total demeanor has changed from sly, conniving, vindictive bitch to stressed-out refugee honestly appealing to her former enemies for help, and she does appear to be honestly aligning herself with them without reservation. This makes me wonder if there's a permanent role shift between Juliette and Adalind going on, and no matter who's alive at the end of it, going forward Juliette == bad, Adalind == good.

I think that's a stupid contrivance this late in the game, but ok -- it just might be interesting. A step too far would be to pair Nick and Adalind, though. She's done way too many bad things to too many innocent people. I think the cemetery speech was meant to explain her upcoming about-face as poor little Adalind always just trying to do the right thing but the fact is, she liked being bad. The writers can pretend all they want, but she was a really bad girl all the time until recently.

I'm going to quit bitching and see where this goes, at least to the end of the season. I'd hate to lose this show but I'll bail before it crashes and burns.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1

With Henrietta dead, now our heroes have another dead Hexenbiest body to steal organs from so they can make another magic potion...

Ah ha! I wonder if the writers planned that all along?

...Wow, they gave Bud zero information about what was going on and how severe the threat to Adalind really was. Not nice...

I saw it the opposite way. I thought they told Bud too much as soon as they told him "nobody can know." I mean, this dear, loveable, blabbermouth, can't-keep-a-secret-if-his-and-his-mother's-lives-depend-on-it Bud.
  • Love 1

. I did get rather frustrated, however, with the extended recap of the season she gave to her dead mother.

To be fair, it was a recap of the last 2+ seasons, since Catherine was killed by Kelly very early in S2. So, Cat may have missed a plotline or two, not unlike the writers of this show.

I guess I'm the first person to comment that the "Jack the Ripper" monster is a straight lift of Redjac from the Star Trek episode "Wolf in the Fold". I feel old. Also, wondering how they'll beat it without transporter technology :-)

My DH has drifted away from watching. I told him about that storyline and he brought it up too! Please, don't feel old! You just have a good data capacity in your noggin!

Of course she can't just DECIDE to be in control again, that's how not being in control WORKS! ...The hackneyed "Dark Willow" storyline is MUCH more comparable, and even then, somehow, this is so much worse.

Thank you, Slovenly Muse. We were told by the supposedly late Henrietta that whatever Hexenbiest force that Juliette has is force-of-Nature big, like Henrietta hadn't ever seen. How could just-a-human Juliette be able to wrestle something like that by herself

I don't have the hate on for Juliette that some people do, but if someone doesn't beat the crap out of smarmy Prince Kenneth sometime soon, I will be very unhappy. Hoping it's Nick's mom.

Seconded.

She's a big threat since there doesn't seem to be a practical limitation to her power yet. If I was Kenneth I'd be worried.

About the second part: I am sure Ken, despite his oh-so-over-it-allness, has some anti-Hexen something or other for his cadre of armed Suits to use, on Juliette and/or Adalind, on his say. The Royals have kept Elizabeth on the run all this time, so I am presuming, as per the show to-date, that Sean's dad has some way or something that can kill a hexenbiest, or de-hexen her. Right now, Ken doesn't think he needs to show that card, is what I am thinking.

I am surmising that Ken thinks that since Juliette is such a new hexenbiest that she can be easily swayed by her darker impulses, like a Sith  lord or Once Upon a Time's Rumplestiltskin- it's easier to tap into, especially when you try to get past hurts or don't talk out old ones and why they still hurt. Juliette was still smarting from Adalind's rape of Nick, and the wesenrein being a reason for Nick to return to Grimming when Juliette willingly took The Cure. So when  the hexenbiest came over/possessed/whatever Juliette, all of that roiling emotion was like a picnic basket for the hexen spirit. Then, it/she became like the worse passive-aggressive, grudge-holding significant other and all the old hurts are coming out.

I think that is why Juliette feels so whiny to some- hexen-Juliette is rehashing things we thought she was over or claimed to be okay with, like taking the cure to re-Grimm Nick.  If she were a regular human, it probably wouldn't come up. If it did, it would be in a wistful, 'what if' moment and Juliette would push past it because regular Juliette didn't dwell on things that would hurt Nick. That is why a number of people enjoyed her-angst and drama free significant other.

Now "Juliette" is a walking id- doing what she wants when she wants and how. I still hate the writing, which is as clear as mud. I guess the above is just headcannon because there has been nothing on the show to really base it on.

Plus it's nice not to have the show take itself so seriously.

I know! How did we go from this: (quote from the Pilot)

Nick Burkhardt: [about hunting Blutbaden] Do I need something like silver bullets?

Monroe: What are you, an idiot?

to this really dark, unhappy place where there is serious talk about killing off characters among the fans?

I fell asleep at one point...was there an explanation of what event the Royal minions were preparing for in the background when Juliette and Kenneth were talking?  I'm thinking no good will come of that.

I assumed they were planning for when Kelly and Diana get there.  Juliette was explaining with a neighborhood map who all lives on the block, in detail.  I fear for those neighbors.  That's another shitty thing Juliette is doing, putting innocent people at risk.

• Love 4

Seconded...
I prefer Juliette because of the irony, but if they want to redeem Juliette, having Nick's mom and Juliette wiping the floor with Ken doll together would be satisfying.
  • Love 2

I'm confused about Juliette's motivations too. She is claiming to love this power but then hates the people that did it to her? I guess I get her being mad and Nick (even if it isn't his fault Adalind raped him) but what did Monroe and Rosalee do? If anything she should be thanking them than taking her loved power somewhere else. And why the hell would she side with whatever his name is, he's just going to use her. I honestly skipped all their scenes because I could careless about them.

That's my problem too, the whole motivation is out of whack.  The writers picked the worse aspects to focus on: she blames/whines about it when everyone has bent over backwards trying to help and support her.  Then, she's also supposed to like this power and being evil and unrepentent of her actions.  Then she's suddenly siding with some stranger she knows nothing about but suddenly goes along with everything he says.

• Love 2

Maybe they will harvest the second dead Hexenbiest and find a different way to force the juice on Juliette.  Maybe it is the reason they suddenly killed off the character. 

I would prefer to see Juliette dead at this point though.  I never liked the character or even thought Nick should be attached to anyone to begin with.  The only problem with killing off characters is that it causes the other characters to be depressed and mopey.  Maybe they will cure Juliette, she will realize what a monster she was - causing her to move.  Far, far away.  Never to return.    

It would be nice if the writers wrote something that would give Nick his edge back. 

I think everyone is right about Jack being Renard.  I kind of had a suspicion as well.  Jack the Ripper killed prostitutes.  It seemed kind of random to just show up at the Hexenguest's house to kill her.  I was wondering if they had another actor play him for the kill scenes because his legs were so skinny.  Are Renard's legs really that thin?

The problem with me these days is that I fall asleep, I start dreaming as if I were still watching the show, and then, when I wake up, I'm in a different place in the storyline because I imagined a different plot line than the one that actually happened .  

This happens to me, too.  Like two forks with their tines intertwined that you have to pull apart.  And the reverse is even more disorienting--when the next show starts and inserts itself into my dreams.  I'm not prone to nightmares, but recently I woke up terrified and found some kind of stupid horrible torture porn playing on my telly.

Back to Grimm. . .

I, too, am suspicious about how casual Adalind was, tossing back a big swig of Hexen Suppressor.  Last time, Nick had to open a damn vein!

Adalind was a little too eager to drink the potion.  Makes one wonder if it really would have done anything to Juliette or if this is all part of another plot.

I'm thinking (hoping, praying) that Adalind has something up her sleeve. It was just too out of character for her to drink something that would subdue her powers--of course, what do these writers know about characters and staying within the reasonable bounds they created?  Maybe the potion was something that would somehow pair Juliette and Adalind--Adalind figured Juliette would get Kelly and DIana back in town and--together--the two of them could get Diana back.

I actually really miss Adalind of season 1--I don't want Adalind to pair up with Nick, but I do want Adalind Season 1 back...

• Love 1

Finally - a WotW story that doesn't wrap up in one episode. They really need to do more multiple-episode arcs with these crimes so they can concentrate on (wrapping up) the other drama with Juliette, Adalind, Kenneth, etc.

While I've gotten rather tired of Adalind I was at least rather amused by her in this episode. She had some going points there with Rosalee about trusting her and Monroe when they helped steal her baby. I really don't don't know what they hoped to gain by separating her from Diana, it was a pretty dumb move on reflection. She was willing to work with the Resistance, and by association, Renard and Nick up until that point. They're the ones who made an enemy out of her.

It's hard to know where they're going with this Juliette storyline, but I can't help wonder if maybe the show has gotten the message that a lot of fans aren't crazy about Juliette so they've decided to get rid of her. At this point, they've done everything they can to make her as unlikeable as possible. Burning down the trailer seemed like a deliberate effort to turn what few fans the character had against her too. It was interesting how Nick, Monroe, and Hank all got their own personal flashbacks on the first time they saw the trailer. That shows they know this arson thing is a real turning point in the show.

Next season with be show's fifth, and in all likelihood the leads were originally signed to five year contracts, which is pretty much the standard in TV shows. It wouldn't surprise me if that ends up being the last season the show gets, so they need to start really wrapping up a lot of these loose ends.

• Love 1
I was floored by the comments on her post--things saying SHE should be ashamed of herself and SHE should die.

Oh, that is so not cool. I just want her fired.

• Love 2

Next season with be show's fifth, and in all likelihood the leads were originally signed to five year contracts, which is pretty much the standard in TV shows. It wouldn't surprise me if that ends up being the last season the show gets, so they need to start really wrapping up a lot of these loose ends.

I was wondering about the contracts.  Unless something changes with the show, next season will be the last (the ratings are tanking).  However, if things do turn around--or if NBC has nothing better to air on Friday nights (which is a distinct possibility), it will be interesting to see what happens.  

The writers have said the 6th season will be a total re-boot.

Questions that I had in addition to everyone else's-why didn't Nick even look for the keys?  Is that storyline dead now?  Also, it seems to me that throughout the series that the house has been referred to as Juliette's.  This episode had at least 2 distinct references to the house being Nick's.  Is this another change?

• Love 1

Questions that I had in addition to everyone else's-why didn't Nick even look for the keys?  Is that storyline dead now?  Also, it seems to me that throughout the series that the house has been referred to as Juliette's.  This episode had at least 2 distinct references to the house being Nick's.  Is this another change?

Dunno, story/plot points just drop like this and the zombie subplot and then we're left wondering when/if it will come back.  The writers shouldn't meander this much, especially since it's S4.

Preview had Kelly holding toddler!Diana's hand and carefully leading her up the walk. We can deduce from this they have a good relationship and Diana trusts her, which was the point. We also know that Diana has wicked hex powers.

This is what I suspect will be happening next episode (okay, wishful thinking on my part):

Diana lays Juliette flat. Nick screams no at a dead Juliette.

No?

Damn.

Diana's going to be the one wielding the power, I believe.

• Love 3

I feel like the special ingredient in that potion must've been stupidity and everybody contributed some. It was stupid to try to give Juliette the potion when she's made it crystal clear that she likes her power. It was stupid for Adalind to test it on herself thereby losing her powers at the time she needs them most. It was extra stupid for her to do that while she's pregnant. After all, half the reason she *is* pregnant is because she didn't think through possible negative outcomes of her last great idea. Why oh why would Addy take a power-suppressing potion at the time she's pregnant with the type of baby that the Wesen world has never seen before?! Why not chug down a bottle of wine while you're at it?

I love this show but it has this strong strain of very frustrating idiocy that runs all the way through it. It seems like at least once an episode a character commits an act of stupidity. Sometimes it's a small act, like Wu paging through the books and eating french fries or it's colossal, like Juliette thinking Nick would kill her just because she was a hexenbiest. 

• Love 4

I feel like the special ingredient in that potion must've been stupidity and everybody contributed some. It was stupid to try to give Juliette the potion when she's made it crystal clear that she likes her power. It was stupid for Adalind to test it on herself thereby losing her powers at the time she needs them most. It was extra stupid for her to do that while she's pregnant. After all, half the reason she *is* pregnant is because she didn't think through possible negative outcomes of her last great idea. Why oh why would Addy take a power-suppressing potion at the time she's pregnant with the type of baby that the Wesen world has never seen before?! Why not chug down a bottle of wine while you're at it?

I love this show but it has this strong strain of very frustrating idiocy that runs all the way through it. It seems like at least once an episode a character commits an act of stupidity. Sometimes it's a small act, like Wu paging through the books and eating french fries or it's colossal, like Juliette thinking Nick would kill her just because she was a hexenbiest. 

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Why would Adalind give up her powers she fought so hard to get back?  And maybe needing if they fail to control Juliette (and fail they did).  Why would you give Juliette ALL of the remaining batch in a glass container, when she has just made it very clear that she doesn't want your help and isn't there for a friendly visit?  Why don't you ambush her and force it down her throat?  Why does Monroe just stand there for ten full seconds while Nick is aiming his gun at him?  You can dive out of the way you know, dude.

I was disappointed that Jack the Ripper took out HexenSoulMama, I liked her.

Well the previews look promsing.  Truble's coming back, we get to see Adalind's kid, should be fun.

• Love 2

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Why would Adalind give up her powers she fought so hard to get back?  And maybe needing if they fail to control Juliette (and fail they did).  Why would you give Juliette ALL of the remaining batch in a glass container, when she has just made it very clear that she doesn't want your help and isn't there for a friendly visit?  Why don't you ambush her and force it down her throat?  Why does Monroe just stand there for ten full seconds while Nick is aiming his gun at him?  You can dive out of the way you know, dude.

Exactly, we spent an entire season on Adalind getting her powers back only to lose them again.  Juliette was already out of control when she burnt down the trailer, that should've clued them in on what to do.

Finally - a WotW story that doesn't wrap up in one episode. They really need to do more multiple-episode arcs with these crimes so they can concentrate on (wrapping up) the other drama with Juliette, Adalind, Kenneth, etc.

All the more reason why we should be done with the Juliette/Adalind/Royals drama that never seems to end.

(edited)

I wondered about the ease of dispatching Henrietta too. She turns into her Hexenbiest self and then stands there so her throat can be slashed. Clearly she felt threatened but she doesn't seem to use any of her powers. Strange.

I, like others think this waste of a potentially great character played by an actress who has shown the ability to actually act, unlike the female lead of the show, is for two reasons: 1) It supports the motion that Renard is Jack the Ripper -- Henrietta sensed something, woged, but did not attack because she saw Renard, 2) It conveniently gives them another dead hexenbeast to save the horrid snowflake that is Juliette, so that next season can be all about Juliette's angst over the evil she did, with everyone telling her how she is the most snowflakiest, snowflake, who has ever snowflaked, and how the lowly peons that are they are so unworthy of being in her awesome snowflaked presence.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2

I, like others think this waste of a potentially great character played by an actress who has shown the ability to actually act, unlike the female lead of the show, is for two reasons: 1) It supports the motion that Renard is Jack the Ripper -- Henrietta sensed something, woged, but did not attack because she saw Renard, 2) It conveniently gives them another dead hexenbeast to save the horrid snowflake that is Juliette, so that next season can be all about Juliette's angst over the evil she did, with everyone telling her how she is the most snowflakiest, snowflake, who has ever snowflaked, and how the lowly peons that are they are so unworthy of being in her awesome snowflaked presence.

And they had to kill an interesting character with potential for that, on top of destroying a trailer full of important Grimm mythology/answers that this show should've been focusing on instead of all this terrible melodrama, if this is what happens.  At least it would make it easier for me to drop it.

• Love 1