Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: You Don't Know Jack

It would be cheesy to have another killer just happen to have Renard's voice, but I actually hope it is not him.  It's one thing for the police captain to have done mayhem and murder against evil wesen/Royals, but another to be killing and butchering his mother's friend and prostitutes minding their own business, even if he is being possessed or whatever.  I don't want him in the hierarchy of the Portland police if he's really done those things and has the potential to be possessed again.  At the least, Nick, Hank and Wu could never trust or respect him. 

Willow had the motivation of losing Tara, someone she loved right in front of her, which triggered Dark Willow.  Juliette happened as a side effect to taking a potion which she willing did so to help Nick, then she blamed Nick and the others for 'creating' her even though it was an unforeseen side effect, then she joined Kenneth (who was a stranger that she suddenly agreed with for no good reason), then she turned full on evil burning the trailer and attacking Nick and the gang.  Her transformation was erratic both in the way it was written  and executed, switching from not being in control to being in control and liking her new powers, whereas with Willow, it was much more consistent for her character and thus her redemption was far more believable.

As a Buffy/Angel fan, I agree on this comparison.  Losing Tara was a terrible trauma, and was not the result of some choice she made.  Willow felt terribly betrayed.  Of course Angelus is whole different thing, in that Angelus was simply who Angel was before the gypsy put a soul in him.  Juliette, on the other hand, has just gone completely off the rails and it's hard to believe her actions and behavior.  To suspend the disbelief, I just opt for the explanation that she can't handle or control the hexenbiest side of her personality because it was thrust upon her as opposed to Adalind, who grew up as a genuine hexenbiest.  But I still can't buy Juliette's superior powers and her control over them.

Adalind is not Spike!!! There's no redemption there.

Adalind goes to/with anyone that can benefit her the most. If it happens that someone comes along that can help her more than Nick & co., she'll kill Nick, Monroe, Rosalee, or/and Wu if she had to.

That ... sounds exactly like Spike actually.

(edited)

I don't know that Adalind would know about how long the suppressor potion would work. Adalind doesn't seem to be good on details. Offhand it didn't seem that great an idea to test the potion on her. Not only would there be a risk to the baby (the protection of which seems to be an overriding goal right now) but they also took the powers away from the one person who actually could push back adequately against Juliette.  Maybe someone useful will pop in the door from behind Juliette and distract her.  There's always next week.

To be fair, none of the Hexenbeists seem particularly good on details. Renard's mom split town pretty quickly after mentioning there might be unintended consequences (hello Hexenbeist and demonic possession), and Henrietta really never said much more than "boy, you are a special snowflake hexenbeist" with no further details.  I don't remember Adalind's mom being much more than disgusted most of the time, so I don't know if she was knowledgeable.

I'm probably giving the show too much credit - but those three renters? Maybe they're Mama Grimm's lookouts.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3
 Next season with be show's fifth, and in all likelihood the leads were originally signed to five year contracts, which is pretty much the standard in TV shows. It wouldn't surprise me if that ends up being the last season the show gets, so they need to start really wrapping up a lot of these loose ends.

I thought the norm was three years; that was the case with Veronica Mars leads, as I recall reading...

I feel like the special ingredient in that potion must've been stupidity and everybody contributed some.

I love this show but it has this strong strain of very frustrating idiocy that runs all the way through it....

Agreed....

I'm also bothered by the theory that great acting trumps everything despite the effect it has on a show. 

NO, you gotta have good writing to have good acting mean anything.... Isn't there a 911 number the showrunner can call for a writing rescue team????

I can't believe how much of the plot is driven by character stupidity.  So much stupid to go around, I don't even know where to begin - I feel like I lost a ton of IQ points watching the stupidity.  

Agreed in spades.....

• Love 1

I thought the norm was three years; that was the case with Veronica Mars leads, as I recall reading...

Norm for most network shows for the past...let's say decade-ish (if not longer), has been to make actors sign for anywhere from 5-7 years for the initial contract, before they even know if a show will be picked up, let alone if it has a chance of lasting that long. Some shows renegotiate sooner for various reasons, but for the most part, you wanna be on a TV show? You have to agree to terms way in advance before you know how much you or it may be worth down the line.
  • Love 1

Norm for most network shows for the past...let's say decade-ish (if not longer), has been to make actors sign for anywhere from 5-7 years for the initial contract, before they even know if a show will be picked up, let alone if it has a chance of lasting that long. Some shows renegotiate sooner for various reasons, 

Just read Candice Bergen's A Fine Romance [What a SMART person; and fun to read...] and she mentioned this 5 year figure as well. But after she started winning Emmy's, she seems to have gotten a raise or two....