Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

The worst thing about watching Ryan Howard play his last for the Fightins is that it's probably the last of the retirement clips that will include Harry the K.

It really was the end of an era....

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, xaxat said:

No more Sunday night baseball to watch until kickoff. Sadness.

I seriously was surfing around the dial to find something acceptable to watch.  Luckily, Paul Simon is on Austin City Limits!

48 minutes ago, tom87 said:

So who is the most likely to beat the Cubs so I know who to root for?

I think I heard a stat today that in the past 10 or so years, 8 pairs of teams have met up in consecutive playoff years, and in 7 of those, the same team won the second year, so based on last season, I'd say the Mets.

• Love 1

The Giants did play the Cubs hard this season. The Cubs won the season series 4-3 but all four games in Chicago in early September were close and almost all were victims of the Giants bullpen barfing it up (which they seem to have solved for now) and the Giants offense being in a team-wide slump (which they have since come out of). I'd be excited to see a postseason series with the Giants clicking like they are now. Game 1 would likely be Cueto vs. Arrieta. 

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Michael Kay reported the Tigers were losing to the Braves in the same tone of voice you would report that your local high school team beat the '27 Yankees 10 to zero.  Poor Atlanta.

Mercifully the Braves' season has come to an end though they played quite well over the past month.   I guess I should be glad that I have no way to watch their games since the team was so terrible this year.

Speaking of the Braves I cannot get behind the Turner Field farewell tour as it wasn't exactly hallowed ground and the fact that the team is moving out of Atlanta proper and into the affluent 'burbs at taxpayer expense (it was voted on without public knowledge) still pisses me off.

10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Giants are interesting.  The MLB Net said that their record in the division is better than LA even though they finished second.

Vin also said that after the game was over.  I'm gonna miss him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

The worst thing about watching Ryan Howard play his last for the Fightins is that it's probably the last of the retirement clips that will include Harry the K.

It really was the end of an era....

I cried when watching his clips being called by Harry. I miss listening to him call the games. Then I cried again watching Ryan's speech and seeing him get choked up. 

The Mets did sweep the Cubs last year, but I reckon that the fans would remind their team about that during the first two games. Unless Terry has Steve Bartman on speed dial, they might resemble a bug going into a windshield. And that's if they get past the Giants.

18 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Ya gotta believe! A month ago, who even thought they would make the playoffs?

So pumped! This season has been a roller coaster. I'm nervous for Wednesday. Syndergaard is the only pitcher who won a world series game last year.

• Love 2

The past three days have almost made the absolute pain of the second half of the season almost okay. Key word almost. I still want to kick everyone in the cajones for putting me through the misery of the last few weeks.

But I have to admit that that it just feels so damn freaking good to sweep the dodgers, and in such an epic fashion against their three best pitchers. Offense coming alive. Not just Pagan body slamming that idiot on the field, but Buster also shoving the dude to the ground prior. Bum's double, Gillaspie's hilarious catch today, Pagan and Span getting multiple hits over the series, and same with Belt (and his 3 run homer!) And our rookie Blach kicking ASS (#BlachBuster, #cockBlached) and even getting 2 hits off of Chokeshaw. Puig being a little mopey piggy. Utley striking out is always thoroughly satisfying. And they can throw at Buster and even hit Belt, but in the end, we gave Vin Scully the epic series he deserved, from the team he's a fan of. ;) 

We're in. Who knows how things will go from now on, but gosh darn it, don't stop beliEVEN. ;) and #doitforDuffy

The only thing I'm slightly torn about is that I'll be at a U2 concert the same night as the WC game. It will either be a good distraction, or an epic way to celebrate!

• Love 2

I don't normally post here (but have read along almost all season!), but I have to say "Go Cubs Go!" to all the talk of who to root for against them ;) 

I'm cautiously optimistic, but as my Cardinals fan husband likes to remind me, the Cubs could easily end up going the route of the Cardinals last year (although I think Cubs are much healthier than the Cards were at this time last year). 

That being said, I'd much rather see the Mets than the Giants.

22 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

Minor League BB put in a '20 second clock' for pitchers - they have to pitch the ball once they hit the rubber within the 20 seconds. That moved the game along, but how does that affect the timing of a pitcher who has pitched without a clock in college?

There's actually a rule in place, 5.07(c) (yes, I looked it up), that says "When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call 'Ball.'"  An umpire in Cleveland actually called one a few years ago; I can't remember who the pitcher was but I believe he was well-known for taking forever.

The Red Sox did a beautiful job with the Ortiz tributes this weekend (although I kept thinking back to my teen years and remembering Yaz only got one day with a ride around the warning track on a golf cart).   They even had the President of the Dominican Republic on the field yesterday!

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

There's actually a rule in place, 5.07(c) (yes, I looked it up), that says "When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call 'Ball.'"  An umpire in Cleveland actually called one a few years ago; I can't remember who the pitcher was but I believe he was well-known for taking forever.

The Red Sox did a beautiful job with the Ortiz tributes this weekend (although I kept thinking back to my teen years and remembering Yaz only got one day with a ride around the warning track on a golf cart).   They even had the President of the Dominican Republic on the field yesterday!

The last two years an actual clock (Two) were put at the local AAA affiliate. One is behind the plate and the other sit in center field.

Before the game it counts down to the first pitch and after that, it resets to 20 seconds every time the pitcher gets the ball from the catcher.

It also times the period between the last out of the previous inning and the first pitch next inning

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150115&content_id=106476386&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 1

Yeah but I think you need to fly into DCA to get merch.   

---------------------------------------------------------------

I heard a rumor that the Marlins fired their hitting coach.  

Plus Walt Weiss stepped down in Colorado

Dave Stewart and Chip Hale lost their respective jobs in Arizona

Ventura was replaced by Rentaria.

Edited by jennifer6973

Jennifer6973, yep, not a rumor. Barry Bonds was let go like a helium balloon.  And- shocker- the Angels are "retaining" Mike Scioscia. There's a franchise stuck in the way back machine.

Sooooooooo who ya got? Put em on the glass!

Orioles at Blue Jays - Blue Jays

Giants at Mets - Mets

• Love 1

I'm rooting for Blue Jays and Giants. Stroman makes me nervous though, although if we could mange to get more than 2 runs it would be less of an issue.

Long term, I'm rooting for whoever beats Texas.

If it's not the Jays, I hope Boston makes it.

On another note, Biagini is hysterical in interviews. He is so deadpan and oddbeat the interviewers ( who are usually completely inane) can't cope. After the win Sunday the interviewer could not get away fast enough and Biagini's like- let's have a hug and half hugs the guy as he's trying to escape. Last week Hazel Mae is interviewing him and asks about his pitch and he starts talking about his singing pitch. She couldn't react and roll with it and was just staring at him. I don't blame him, these are Rogers interviewers from Sportsnet and they're irritating.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cleo said:

Long term, I'm rooting for whoever beats Texas.

That's essentially my stance. 

For wild cards, I'm going for Giants and Orioles. I even have a big orange giants t-shirt, I picked it up at a goodwill store in Houston. 

My mother is from Maryland, who's she rooting for? Blue Jays. My dad is from Queens, whose he rooting for? Giants. They're weird. 

Jays are my team; always have been, always will be. In the other wildcard I'm going for the Mets, went to school in New York and I always preferred getting out to Queens to see the Mets instead of heading to the Bronx.

If both of them fall out today I'll probably end up rooting for the Nats, my uncle is a huge fan. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

For now: Let's Go Blue Jays!

Blue Jays because they have the coolest airport code, YYZ, thanks to a Rush song and because Geddy Lee of Rush is a baseball fanatic and from what I understand can almost always be found at games.  And because Randy Johnson was their tour photographer.  And because yesterday was Rosh Hashanah and Geddy is a "nice" boy.

(sorry to my family in Baltimore)

(edited)

You and me both, mojo; both on the jinx part and the "team that rhymes with Schmoston" thing.(Although having three teams from the AL East makes things...interesting).

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

I think the Jays will beat the Os. I'm torn on who to root for though--I like the Os better, but as a Sox fan, I see the Jays as having more potential to upset Texas/force them to 7 at least.

Giants-Mets, I think SF will win, but I like both teams so won't be too bothered either way. Maybe I would have a slight rooting preference for the Mets just because I'd like to see Wright get a ring, but there's no way the Mets with all their injuries will make it out of the NL even if they win. But I like Buster Posey a lot so like I said, won't be too upset either way!

3 hours ago, King of Birds said:

And- Kruk is out at ESPN!  What recently retired player will take his place?

Maybe they could be convinced to bring back Curt Schilling?  It would certainly be a way to gin up their numbers from people just hoping he makes controversial comments.  And it might derail his hopes of running for President.

Curt Schilling needs to stay far the fuck away from my TV.

I wish there was a way that both AL teams playing tonight were both going to make the next round.  I would love if they could have been in the ALCS, matter of fact.  

• Love 2

Two years and two World Series?  Two pennants and one ring?  And then, in 2016: down goes the 3rd baseman, the left fielder, the centerfielder, the 4th pitcher, the 5th pitcher, the set-up guy, the closer...

So the day we call "Mathematically" finally did come, and on the postgame show, I phoned in to say,

"I call this: 'What would I give?'

"What Would I Give, at the top of the 8th, during the Miracle at Minute Maid, when a ball off the bat of Kendrys Morales bounces under Carlos Correa's glove, causing Matt Vasgersian to exclaim, 'Kansas City has tied it in the 8th!!'*?

"And What Would I Give, at the top of the 9th, Game 6, runners on 2nd & 3rd, 2 outs, when Wade Davis faces down Josh Donaldson?

"And What  Would I Give, at the bottom of the 9th, down 4-3, when Alex Gordon takes Jeurys Familia yard?

"And What Would I Give, at the top of the 9th, when Eric Hosmer breaks for home as Salvador Perez is thrown out at 1st?

"What Would I Give? Why, I give 2016, and I give it with both hands."

Have a great off-season, my darling boys of summer.  

*my ring tone

bittysalvy2.JPG

Edited by rallymantis
including the itty bitty salvy, as promised in May
  • Love 3

I'm taking Mets, also for D-Wright and and I really do not like SF. Will watch on the telly but I swear I will be most unhappy if I see more Giant orange gear than Mets blue because it always happens. 

And yeah, any AL team that beats a team that sounds like "Schmoston" is A O-K by me.

Schilling is a schmuck from Schmoston so natch I can't stand him. And I think schmuck takes precedent over Schmoston.

Jerk.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Curt Schilling needs to stay far the fuck away from my TV.

Seconded.  I will miss Kruk so much - "I'm not an athlete, lady, I'm a  ballplayer!"  One of the few who really gets what baseball is (hint: a pastime not a sport).

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3