Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Hmm, I think there was another Cleveland team that swept Boston in the first round, then won 4-2 over Toronto to go to the Championship.  What happened to that team?

Oh yeah, they fell in the Bay... NOT!

41 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Hmm, I think there was another Cleveland team that swept Boston in the first round, then won 4-2 over Toronto to go to the Championship.  What happened to that team?

Oh yeah, they fell in the Bay... NOT!

The 2015-16 Cavs didn't play Boston. They swept Detroit and Atlanta before they faced Toronto.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

The 2015-16 Cavs didn't play Boston. They swept Detroit and Atlanta before they faced Toronto.

You know, i can't believe I forgot thst.

Thank you for the correction.

I just watched a replay of the end of the Giants game because I'm weird and I love to hear the roar of the crowd and didn't watch any of the game last night.  Why didn't that Cubbie in the outfield try?

This East Coast Giants fan was tired from a weekend trip and fell asleep in the 6th, bummed that the focus would likely be on Bumgarner not being able to come through, even after all of the times he HAD. I hoped that maybe his team would carry HIM this time. When I briefly woke up at 2:30am, the Giants and Cubs were STILL PLAYING. The Cubs had two on and one out and I decided to go back to sleep. I didn't want to feel the pain if it ended badly, like many second-half Giants games had. But the rook got the double play and the guys walked it off and San Francisco October baseball looked as beautiful as it always does in that moment. The Giants live to see another day and in my opinion, they shouldn't stop tonight. Keep it rolling, boys! 

• Love 1

Here in  Floriduh the sun went down about 45 minutes ago so it's officially Yom Kippur (and being a good Jew my last meal prior to starting my fast was Chinese food.)  I wonder how many Cubs fans are skipping Kol Nidre services tonight.

• Love 3

The problem I have with games on FS1 is the incessant commercials for Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless.  I have no desire to watch either of them any time, any place. 

I don't know who was calling with Bob Costas yesterday but the guy had an issue with elbow gloves and said he wished the batters weren't allowed to wear them, but didn't explain why.  I really want to know what his problem is, because without those gloves A-Rod would have probably broken a bone or ten.

• Love 1

Red Sox are gone, now the Giants. If the Dodgers lose all the teams I can't stand will be gone- woo hoo. Guess it wasn't meant for the Giants on an even year. Their fans were getting spoiled anyways. I was expecting the Cubs to lose the next two so their comeback was nice- maybe this is their year.

• Love 1

Holy, moly, I'm too old and too stress-prone to be a Cubs fan.  To top it all off, my satellite went out in the top of the ninth moments after they tied the game and only came back on with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth.  My heart....it got a serious workout tonight!!  I'm counting it as a cardio workout!

Edited by pennben
still rattled
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

Kershaw and Bumgarner are special athletes.  I can't wait for the day the Yankees sign one of them.

I can't imagine Bumgarner ever signing anywhere he's not allowed to hit. He loves it too much (if anyone ever gets a chance to watch him take batting practice, it's a real treat!)

The Giants season ended in a way that many of us had become accustomed to. After September, I viewed this whole week as bonus baseball. I'm glad the Giants got to have a few fun moments in there before things ending the way many second-half games had. I feel worse for Matt Moore and Conor Gillaspie and the guys who played a damn great game last night before it went to hell than I do for myself. This was a pretty trying season for a winning and good team and it being over doesn't bum me out the way I might have expected or felt if they had ended the regular season on a stronger note. I'm mostly glad the Giants were fun again before going away for the year. Can the Cubs please take out the Dodgers, should they play them? 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

Kershaw and Bumgarner are special athletes.  I can't wait for the day the Yankees sign one of them.

Have you looked at the the stuff on their chins? Either of them can get the money anywhere, but that sweet, sweet scruffy growth?

Not with the Yankees.

Same thing with Bryce Harper.

• Love 1

As a Cubs fan I felt my ever-present pessimism start to creep in last night and was pleasantly surprised to wake up to the news that they won (as an East Coaster the late start times on weekdays are killing me!). 

I didn't want to see this Giants in this series, but don't have an opinion on the next one. I'm just hoping that the pitchers don't have to carry the offense in the first games.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

The problem I have with games on FS1 is the incessant commercials for Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless.  I have no desire to watch either of them any time, any place. 

I don't know who was calling with Bob Costas yesterday but the guy had an issue with elbow gloves and said he wished the batters weren't allowed to wear them, but didn't explain why.  I really want to know what his problem is, because without those gloves A-Rod would have probably broken a bone or ten.

Bayless and Cowturd are the worst.

Someone should push Costas in front of a pitching machine and yell, THAT IS WHY, BITCH........

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Have you looked at the the stuff on their chins? Either of them can get the money anywhere, but that sweet, sweet scruffy growth?

Not with the Yankees.

Ya know,  the 70s Yankees had incredible 'staches. Reggie Jackson. Thurman Munson. Gossage. Even Mattingly in the 80s. The 2015 team grew some terrible staches. Johnny Damon was a better player w long hair and beard on the Sox than as a Yankee. I swear the Yankees are keeping this rule just because Jetes and ARod couldn't grow good growth.

Also, not that it matters as the Red Sox are home watching games now, but: Indians > Jays  and  Cubs > Dodgers.

Edited by King of Birds

And the election is 6 days after a possible Game 7!  Close your bank accounts, hug your loved ones, call up your old flames and tell 'em you hate/love 'em,  start practicing shooting zombies! And no, you'll never be as good as Rick or Daryl or Michonne! 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Between New York Comic Con and the stories I have to cover, I feel like Krusty getting to City Hall after Monty Burns blotted out the sun. Sounds like I missed a lot. Cubs/Indians is still in play?!?

Hopefully.  God, Allah, Buddha willing.

2 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

Bayless and Cowturd are the worst.

Someone should push Costas in front of a pitching machine and yell, THAT IS WHY, BITCH........

I actually like Costas. 

But I'd like to know what Cleveland & Ohio ever did to sour face Bayless.

With the Red Sox out, I am rooting for a Cubs-Indians World Series, although Indians-Dodgers could be fun considering that, not only does Cleveland have Francona, Napoli and Coco Crisp, but Dave Roberts manages LA.

I also just looked, and the Indians are one of the 3 original American League clubs that the Cubs never faced in a World Series (the others are the Orioles/Browns and Twins/Senators).

Cleveland actually played the Dodgers (then called the Robins) in the WS in 1920.

• Love 3

Giants fire their 1st and 3rd base coaches.

Qualifying offers this off-season?  $17.2mil.  When does the MLB labor deal get renewed? I can't see how the QO works well for either side anymore.

Yankee discrimination suits - 16 of 'em!   My guess it reappears today due to a certain Presidential candidate's campaigning, but some of the suits were publicized in August.

News for Lantern: Collins to quit after next year?

Now- why're you reading this? Game 5 is about to start!

It hurts.   My inner rationalization is that with that horrific bullpen the Giants were going down regardless at some point.

It still fucking hurts.

Go Cubs!!  Beat the Dodgers if it comes to that and then the Indians...No talk of double championships of Cleveland from this Bay area fan...

First- Harper's an idiot to get picked at first. If the kid has a good move, give yourself a foot or two to get back to first.

Second- that TOTALLY was a balk.  I HATE agreeing with Harold Reynolds, but it's totally a balk.  PS- and I'm totally pissed FS1 can't get us a decent high angle to show the balk. Incompetent TV people.

Edited by King of Birds

It's the seventh inning and I STILL don't know what outcome I am rooting for.  If it comes down to the ninth or extras I suppose I'll most likely root for the home fans to erupt, but I know I won't be 100% on board with a Dodgers loss.

2 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Giants fire their 1st and 3rd base coaches.

Qualifying offers this off-season?  $17.2mil.  When does the MLB labor deal get renewed? I can't see how the QO works well for either side anymore.

Yankee discrimination suits - 16 of 'em!   My guess it reappears today due to a certain Presidential candidate's campaigning, but some of the suits were publicized in August.

News for Lantern: Collins to quit after next year?

Now- why're you reading this? Game 5 is about to start!

The labor deal is up in December, from what I've scanned around the QO might not go away but will get tweaked.

• Love 1
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Mean Machine said:

I noticed on PTI yesterday that they pretty much entirely ignored Cleveland sweeping the Red Sox and only talked about David Ortiz and his retirement. 

Cleveland swept Boston.  And that was not a topic?  Seems weird to me.

That's been a big source of contention among Cleveland fans all week - with ALL the media.  If it's not abt Ortiz's retirement, then it's abt the Cubs.

For example, Wednesday morning, I counted EIGHT stories abt the Cubs on ESPN, and only abt the Jays, and NONE abt the other teams playing.  Today there was finally a story abt the Indians.

On a sadder note, I'm bummed abt the Nationals.  I thought they might be able to give the Cubs a run for their money.

• Love 1

Watched the stats on my phone because didn't want to "jinx" the Dodgers for hubby, but that must have been some sight for Dodgers fans to see Kershaw strutting out onto the mound. I'm glad he finally had his October moment after years of not coming through. Dodgers/Cubs should be good.

9 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Second- that TOTALLY was a balk.  I HATE agreeing with Harold Reynolds, but it's totally a balk. 

I like Harold and I'm glad he didn't back down and kept explaining why it was a balk, which it was.