Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

As a baseball fan (NOT a Dodgers fan!), I love that Dave Roberts actually managed to win and didn't hold to strict rules about who can be used when and for how long. As a baseball fan who wants the Dodgers to LOSE in the NLCS, I also can't complain that he used his closer for a LONG time, likely making him unavailable for the first and possibly second game of the series in Chicago and that if Clayton Kershaw starts Game 2, he will not be properly rested. I always thought that it was unfair that Kershaw gets the narrative he does in the postseason but two outs does not a postseason make. He's still got work to do, and he'll be far from fully rested. But that was still super cool (dammit Clayton why do you make me like you).

• Love 1

I'm all for the Dodgers beating the Cubs, just so we can call the cubbies and their manager Felicia and say BYE!.

The Nationals had such a wonderful season going for them, they were barely out of first place once all season and then Clayton Kershaw's ego had to come and beat them.

So go anybody but the Cubs and see y'all in April for baseball season.  (I mean I'll still be around for anything shocking that happens.

• Love 2

I'm hoping for a Jays or Indians win if I had to choose. I hope the baby bears beat the smurfs, but then get upset by the Jays or Indians. Probably the latter, as their fans seem the less obnoxious of the two teams and don't throw beer cans on the field. Then Baez can sit his showboating ass right back down. Ideally he and Utley will physically collide in the NLCS while the ball gets hit right back to Arrieta's balls. ?

On on the bright side, I have my life back again. And odd years will become the new even year. 

• Love 3

I tend to root for teams based on sentimentality so I am all about the Northsiders this year just as I was about Kansas City last year.

Speaking of last year on my FB "on this day" from last year I posted about hoping for a Mets/Royals World Series.  Why the hell didn't I buy a lottery ticket as well?! 

• Love 3

I wonder how many casual viewers MLB loses to "channel fatigue" during the playoffs? 

I assumed there would be a game tonight, so I checked Fox, Fox Sports and ESPN. No game there, so I finally checked my guide. TBS is not a sports channel.

But how many people stop at the "usual suspects"?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I wonder how many casual viewers MLB loses to "channel fatigue" during the playoffs? 

I assumed there would be a game tonight, so I checked Fox, Fox Sports and ESPN. No game there, so I finally checked my guide. TBS is not a sports channel.

But how many people stop at the "usual suspects"?

That's the nice thing about Canada. Every postseason game is on Sportsnet. And if it's not on Sportsnet that's cause another game is on Sportsnet and it's either on one of the Sportsnet alternate channels.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3

TBS has had postseason baseball for a long time though.  I actually check there before I ever check MLB or FS1.

Is Joey Bats hated solely because of the bat flip, or are there other reasons?  Because I frickin' love that guy but he gets the biggest cheers of all when he strikes out.

Last night the football game, which I personally did not watch one minute of, drew a 9-something rating.  The baseball game, which was a close out game featuring one of the biggest markets in the country, drew a 3-something.  Football is my number one sport, but not during the playoffs!  Also, I can't stand Phillip Rivers so last night held no interest for me.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

TBS has had postseason baseball for a long time though.  I actually check there before I ever check MLB or FS1.

Is Joey Bats hated solely because of the bat flip, or are there other reasons?  Because I frickin' love that guy but he gets the biggest cheers of all when he strikes out.

He's a bit of a jerk. He has a tendency to admire his homers.

And I say that as someone who LOVES Bautista. He's awesome. I say if you take someone yard, celebrate, and if they don't like it, they should pitch better.

• Love 1

The Klubot didn't have his best night, until the 5th.  But not his worst, either.  I chalk it up to emotions & adrenalinr.

Can't believe the Jays pitcher went a full game and still lost.   YAY LINDOR!

And Bauer needs his head smacked ala Leroy Jethro Gibbs. 

I fully expect this to go 6-7 games.  We're well matched. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

Can't believe the Jays pitcher went a full game and still lost.

Yeah it seemed like that was how half of the Jays season went. And it seemed to happen more with Estrada, I don't know how he hasn't blown a gasket. First part of the season the bullpen would blow it, second part the offence would give no run support. 

It sucks about Travis. I had a feeling early on he wasn't himself with the defensive plays he missed. A healthy Travis could have made a difference in this series. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm just really slow to pick up on change. Charles Barkely still has to remind me of the existence of TruTV every time the NCAA basketball tournament rolls around.

Out of context, in a short clip, Bautista's bat flip looks like a kind of asshole move. But on live TV? It was awesome!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cleo said:

It sucks about Travis. I had a feeling early on he wasn't himself with the defensive plays he missed. A healthy Travis could have made a difference in this series. 

Sounds like he will be out the rest of the ALCS (or the rest of the season, as the Indians pit it ;-D )

Personal story abt Darwin, his likely replacement: During his rookie season w/the Cubs, my husband won a contest BP was running in major league cities.  He won $1,000 in gas, VIP tickets to Cubbies or Sux (his choice, since he was the first winner in Chicago), VIP tickets to batting practice, parking, an autographed jersey by one of the players, and a photo op with that player.

He chose the Cubs, cause who would choose the White Sux, and that player he & our son met was Darwin Barney.

• Love 1

The thing about Bautista is, for one moment in time he had an awesome home run.  I loved the energy  expended (plus the little kid who called it as it was about to happen.

What I didn't like was the batflip, I didn't think it was necessary as I guess a lot of others did.

Plus I think his attitude in Spring Training about his contract was kind of brusk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was younger TBS was always the home of the Atlanta Braves (wish we could go back to that (and WGN for Cubs also)) So I have no problem with playoff baseball being there.  I set up my guide to where I can go to my favorite channels or I made a separate guide for just baseball channels.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, roamyn said:

2-0 baby!

Seems like yesterday we were going to Toronto up 2-0, undefeated in the post season!

Man, looks like Cleveland's finally turning that loserville thing around. [Remembers the Browns] Oh yeah. Sorry, guys.

• Love 3
On 10/12/2016 at 0:48 PM, mojoween said:

If the Cubs and Indians make the WS the universe will collapse in on itself.

On 10/12/2016 at 1:24 PM, King of Birds said:

And the election is 6 days after a possible Game 7!  Close your bank accounts, hug your loved ones, call up your old flames and tell 'em you hate/love 'em,  start practicing shooting zombies! And no, you'll never be as good as Rick or Daryl or Michonne! 

I'm rooting for a Cubs-Cleveland WS. 

And I love the idea of calling up an old flame to say I hate him. Just the thought makes me laugh. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Does anyone know the name of the guy who sang the national anthem in Chicago?  I tuned in about halfway through his performance and loved his Frank Sinatra-esque voice.

I am informed by my Cubs-fanatic friend that it was John Vincent.  

Edited by ebk57
linked other info that no one is interested in

I never would have thought Chapman of all people would give up the lead, but Adrian Gonzalez has been playing for what seems like thirty years so if it was going to happen, he was the most likely guy to do it.

• Love 1

FS1's crew needs more practice. No idea on their experience, but the sound issues tonight are bugging the crap outta me. First- sure, it's an important game, but you can't mix out the circling helicopter sound?  What am I, circling some car chase in LA here tonight? (understand, they can turn off or mix up and down different mics. That's how they can turn off mics where some idiot is clapping all night long. Or swearing).

Holy shit, Miguel Montero. Wow.

And now a b2b with Fowler.  Damn Blanton.

The o-her thi-- is -ll the so--d drop ou-s toni--t -oo.  And lastly, I couldn't even make it through the pre-show with Rose, ARod and the other clownbags on my tv. I watched hockey instead.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

Pretty good game.  A little long, but good.  

KoB, I agree about the sound issues.  I was wondering if they dropped the crowd sounds if there was audible cursing nears the mics.  There was one point that we could still hear Joe Buck, but it was silent in the background.  And we need noise to cover Buck...

• Love 1

Man, that seemed like a quick game!

If this ends up being Cleve-Chi, then it may a tight series with 2 well rounded teams.

We'll see what happens in Toronto next week. I'm not worried the Cubs won't make it.

I thought it was just my sound that was dropping out.  Like ebk, my first thought was that some drunken idiot was cursing at the top of his lungs.  

I am hoping for a Cubs - Blue Jays World Series.  A Great Lakes series.  

Weather-wise, an LA - Toronto series would be a sure thing, well as sure as it can be.  Southern California and a dome.  Cleveland and Chicago in late October could get interesting.  I can remember trick-or-treating in snow a few times as a kid, but Michigan is a bit further north.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

I thought it was pretty hilarious that Montero hit that grand slam after Coghlan was intentionally walked, primarily to get Chapman out of the game. I know Coghlan had some good numbers against Blanton but the Dodgers essentially gave the Cubs they extra base runner so that they didn't have a chance at making the third out with two on instead of three, and so that they wouldn't have to face Chapman in the ninth with a tie game. Well, guess what! You didn't have to face Chapman in the 9th with a tie game. Good work.

• Love 2

Some a-hole activist is trying to get the Indians from using any part of Chief Wahoo on their unis, caps & NAME!  He actually filed a lawsuit!  And broadcasters are refusing to say the word "Indians"!  But there was no problem in July when we played them.

And yet the Edmonton Eskimos continue to play as branded.

MLB is backing the Indians.

(This is important to us, because Mr. Roamyn is part AI and it never bothered his family.)

Edited by roamyn
1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

roamyn, it's a movement, like the Redskins stuff.

And, here's a different kind of protest that was under the covers til today : Dodgers no longer stay at the Trump Intl in Chicago.

Yeah, I'm not sure why someone trying to get a racist mascot removed is the problem and not the organization that, you know, continues to have a racist mascot.

It sounds like the Dodgers didn't stay there this trip because of their refund policies, but Gonzalez personally decided not to stay there on their last trip.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Some a-hole activist is trying to get the Indians from using any part of Chief Wahoo on their unis, caps & NAME!  He actually filed a lawsuit!  And broadcasters are refusing to say the word "Indians"!  But there was no problem in July when we played them.

And yet the Edmonton Eskimos continue to play as branded.

MLB is backing the Indians.

(This is important to us, because Mr. Roamyn is part AI and it never bothered his family.)

Our home broadcaster Jerry Howarth has actually not said the term "Indians" in 25 years.

An aboriginal fan wrote him in 1992 after Toronto defeated Atlanta in the World Series expressing distress at his call of the game. Jerry agreed with the fan and stopped using the names Braves, and Indians, (as well as Redskins, Chiefs and Blackhawks when giving NFL/NHL updates) as well as the terms "Tomahawk Chop" and "Powwow on the mound"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-broadcaster-jerry-howarth-wont-say-indians-alcs/

• Love 3

The Blue Jays aren't gaining much goodwill from me this postseason, that's for sure. And that's coming from someone who likes some of their players and thought I'd be more interested in a tight series with both teams playing good baseball. Now I just want the Tribe to win. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, rippleintime17 said:

The Blue Jays aren't gaining much goodwill from me this postseason, that's for sure. And that's coming from someone who likes some of their players and thought I'd be more interested in a tight series with both teams playing good baseball. Now I just want the Tribe to win. 

Blue Jays fans definitely have a higher jerk quotient then the other teams and I say that as a Blue Jays fan of 20+ years.  

I don't know if it's because they skew younger, or because the Rogers Centre is terrible (I mean TERRIBLE) at alcohol regulation, but it seems like terrible events happen on the regular. I was there several times during the regular season and every SINGLE time a fight either broke out or very nearly broke out, and no one was ever ejected from the stadium. One time another Blue Jays fan almost fought me and my friend, we were on the same freaking team.

I think Rogers really needs to invest in smart serve training for the bar staff, obviously drunk people should not be given any alcohol much less 2 full beers. And also better and more security, people who are obviously aggressive or intoxicated need to be kicked out. They'd get kicked out of a bar, they should get kicked out of the stadium. 

In closing we aren't all jerks. But there really seem to be a lot of jerks.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why someone trying to get a racist mascot removed is the problem and not the organization that, you know, continues to have a racist mascot.

It sounds like the Dodgers didn't stay there this trip because of their refund policies, but Gonzalez personally decided not to stay there on their last trip.

IT'S NOT RACIST!

Didn't you read where NONE of hubby's family or friends of the family care abt this shit?!  They have more important things to worry abt.  Believe me, they want more education, better land mgmt, healthier environment, more jobs, and better ideas to combat raging addiction issues.

It's people who have agendas who push it!

And some Canadian asshole has no right to claim "Indians" is racist while supporting the "Eskimos"!

Edited by roamyn
1 hour ago, Maximum Taco said:

Our home broadcaster Jerry Howarth has actually not said the term "Indians" in 25 years.

An aboriginal fan wrote him in 1992 after Toronto defeated Atlanta in the World Series expressing distress at his call of the game. Jerry agreed with the fan and stopped using the names Braves, and Indians, (as well as Redskins, Chiefs and Blackhawks when giving NFL/NHL updates) as well as the terms "Tomahawk Chop" and "Powwow on the mound"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-broadcaster-jerry-howarth-wont-say-indians-alcs/

Does he ban the "Senators", "Eskimos",  "Sheiks" or "Millionaires"?

Indian is a respectful NAME it's not like the Redskins, which IS disrespectful.  It's like comparing "Caucasian" to "White Skin".  

The former is an acknowledged group of people, the latter puts a racist undertone on it.

Blue Jays HAVE to win this game.  Because if they don't, they'll go down 0-3 and the narrative for the rest of the series will be "no team has come from an oh-3 deficit to win a series except..." and I never ever want to hear the end of that sentence.  EVER.

5 minutes ago, roamyn said:

IT'S NOT RACIST!

Didn't you read where NONE of hubby's family or friends of the family care abt this shit?!  They have more important things to worry abt.  Believe me, they want more efucation, better land mgmt, healthier environmentd, more kobs, and better ideas to combat raging addiction issues.

It's people who have agendas who push it!

And some Canadian asshole has no right to claim "Indians" is racist while supporting the "Eskimos"!

I'm glad your husband's family isn't offended. It's on record that many are. Did you read how the court room today was filled with people there to support the community? Your opinion of it is not the be-all, end-all of the situation. Even the organization clearly recognizes it's an issue or else they wouldn't be demoting its usage. And sorry, but people who dress up like Wahoo at the games is racist, yes. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, rippleintime17 said:

I'm glad your husband's family isn't offended. It's on record that many are. Did you read how the court room today was filled with people there to support the community? Your opinion of it is not the be-all, end-all of the situation. Even the organization clearly recognizes it's an issue or else they wouldn't be demoting its usage. And sorry, but people who dress up like Wahoo at the games is racist, yes. 

I do agree that people dressing up and emulating charicatures IS racist.

You do know, that most of those that show up are RECRUITED?  They get free food, transportation, and 15 minutes of fame.  I know thus, because they try to recruit hubby's aunt and her neighbors abt 1x a year.

5 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I do agree that people dressing up and emulating charicatures IS racist.

You do know, that most of those that show up are RECRUITED?  They get free food, transportation, and 15 minutes of fame.  I know thus, because they try to recruit hubby's aunt and her neighbors abt 1x a year.

You're basically helping to prove my point that there are some issues with how the mascot is handled, partially because of the organization's reluctance to get rid of it and their continuing to encourage it despite acknowledging that it's an issue. They don't need to have a caricature as a mascot, they continue to do so.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Does he ban the "Senators", "Eskimos",  "Sheiks" or "Millionaires"?

Indian is a respectful NAME it's not like the Redskins, which IS disrespectful.  It's like comparing "Caucasian" to "White Skin".  

The former is an acknowledged group of people, the latter puts a racist undertone on it.

I think he does ban Eskimos, a lot of Canadians object to Edmonton's use of that name, because the Inuit object to being used as mascots.

Who are the Sheiks? Are you referring to the Saskatoon Sheiks? They haven't played since 1928, I don't think they get mentioned a ton on the air. Also I'm sure most people understand that people in the 1920's were not as enlightened as they are today.

I don't think anyone is offended by the term Senators or Millionaires, however it should be mentioned that the Millionaires are also a defunct team and don't get mentioned a ton unless the Canucks are using their maroon alternates.

It's fine that you know people who aren't offended by the term "Indian" but some First Nations/Native Americans are offended, people protest outside Cleveland games.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1