Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

What a way to go out. Calling a walk off home run to clinch the division.

I'm going to miss that man.

(Oops, I forgot. We still have him for the playoffs.)

(Nope, guess not.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

I don't see the big deal about the Dodger's winning the pennant.

That is the way it was supposed to happen.

When you go to  Dodger Stadium and wander on the terraces you can look across into Hollywood and see all the screen writers throwing their pens/typewriters/laptops to the ground because you couldn't write a finer end to Vin Scully's last home game.

How could it end any other way?

Back in the days of transistor radios (google it), you'd pass the turnstiles and Vin Scully's voice wafted, along with the smell of those fucking footlong Dodger Dogs, thru the stadium. His voice was the constant - good years, bad years, wins, losses, great plays and heartbreakers.

You could literally sit anywhere you could pick up the game and after a few innings, you were there sitting next to him, watching him paint a picture of the field in front of him.  Good times and I'll miss "The eastern most in quality and the western most in flavor........."

F Charlie Steiner?

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ElDosEquis said:

F Charlie Steiner?

Since Vin does radio for 3 innings, and then the TV part of the broadcast, and Charlie does the opposite (tv then radio) - for 10 years now I think - none of this is on him. In fact, I think Vin has been on one-year contracts for these last 7 years, notifying the Dodgers sometime around August if he'd return the following year. This send off for Vin has been remarkable, and the Dodger team/ broadcasting for years have been really great I think, rolling with whatever Vin's wanted to do. He hasn't done the road games beyond Arizona/ San Diego/ San Francisco (and Anaheim) with some exceptions, since 2005.

And yes as ebk says, Vin will be on through the San Francisco series, and then he'll punch the clock for the last time.

Also- this is damn awesome.  I'll miss David Ross next year (but not as much as Jon Lester)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

Since Vin does radio for 3 innings, and then the TV part of the broadcast, and Charlie does the opposite (tv then radio) - for 10 years now I think - none of this is on him. In fact, I think Vin has been on one-year contracts for these last 7 years, notifying the Dodgers sometime around August if he'd return the following year. This send off for Vin has been remarkable, and the Dodger team/ broadcasting for years have been really great I think, rolling with whatever Vin's wanted to do. He hasn't done the road games beyond Arizona/ San Diego/ San Francisco (and Anaheim) with some exceptions, since 2005.

And yes as ebk says, Vin will be on through the San Francisco series, and then he'll punch the clock for the last time.

Also- this is damn awesome.  I'll miss David Ross next year (but not as much as Jon Lester)

Never mentioned anything about it 'being on (steiner)', If he gets the F/T job? Good on him.

I just don't like to listen to him and he used to work for the Yankees.  Nothing but personal choice.

Bring back Jerry Doggett and Ross Porter.

On Saturday I was talking to my dad we are both Mets fans about the Mets chances beating the Marlins. My dad goes well it depends on whether or not Fernandez is pitching. An hour later they announced his start was moved back to Monday. I always hated when he pitched against the Mets because he was so good. I would do anything for him to be pitching today. 

• Love 5

The MLB app widget on my phone finally rolled over to today's date so I no longer see the Braves/Marlins game listed (I still have the Braves flagged as my favorite team) with the words 'Canc Tragedy.'

I hope to never see that cancellation reason again.

• Love 5

"Take Me Out to the Ballgame" played on a trumpet is the saddest thing I have ever heard.

I don't know how Giancarlo is going to last the whole game.  I wouldn't be surprised if halfway through he said "fuck it, I'm too sad, I'm out."  As the first pitch was thrown he had tears streaming down his face in the outfield.

• Love 5

I rarely watch the Marlins broadcast but I am right now, and I bawled all the way through the pregame program.  These may be tough guys but it was hard watching them cry.  Nice touch by the Mets players in walking across the infield to hug the Marlins players.

And damn, Dee Gordon took the first pitch from the right handed batters box wearing José's helmet, then moved to his natural left side and hit his first homerun of the season and cried while rounding the bases.

• Love 6

Watched Dee's HR. What a moment. This is so very much like the game played after Thurman Munson died. That was as devastating as Jose's death. Bobby Murcer (boy, is he missed) carried the Yanks from a 4–0 deficit with a 3-run homer in the 7th, then had a walk off hit to drive in 2. 

Gary and Keith on SNY wondered if it was better for the Marlins players to be almost finished with the season and go their seperate ways or would it better if they had more season to play so that they can share their grief together. 

23 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

"The eastern most in quality and the western most in flavor........."

Farmer John!  Even as a kid this confused me.  So food was high quality in the East, but tasted bad? and tasted great in the West, but was substandard? 

ETA: I see by googling they're now owned by Hormel.  Sad.  And still not available out here on the East Coast, home of Quality if not Flavor.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I am a baseball fan of only one team... #nevereverquit. However, I follow all sports and was saddened to hear of Fernandez's death. He sounds like a great guy and was undeniably an awesome player with an incredible future ahead of him. That being said, I visited the website of the Miami Herald for more details of the accident and about the other two who were killed. If what I read is true, I am angry at Fernandez. Please correct me if I am wrong, but he had a fight with GF, had been to a bar after midnight and after receiving texts from a buddy about the blow up, one of his friend's friends was worried about Fernandez's temper and told the friend (via text I think) to make sure he (JF) stayed close to shore? I am summarizing the texts/message between the two friends but this whole tragic accident makes me furious if true and I am not even a Marlins fan. Yes, I was young once and did stupid things but shit...could no one with him take over the situation and not kow-tow to a rich, famous, handsome star...again, assuming the story is true? Anyone read any other updates?

I hate to get down on a fellow B'ville Bee, and obviously I'm happy the Yankees put up a four spot in the ninth, but I think it's time for Jason Grilli to retire.  Never in my life have I heard a pitcher grunt on each throw.

Spunkygal, yes we are all saddened at the loss of such a young life, and stupidly as well (tho he wasn't the pilot of the boat, the authorities say).

But the loss of Steve Olin & Tim Crews (& Bobby Ojeda's loss of career), was worse.  Olin was a few years older, had a powerful fastball, and two kids.  Crews had three youn children and a solid career as a middle reliever. Bobby was an intimidating starter. 

But they were drunk. They were older and should've known better.  Olin literally lost his head.  It was stupid, irresponsible and heartbreaking.  Even today, I saw a clip of someone interviewing Mike Hargrove (the manager in '93 at th time of the accident), and he still was bothered so much, that he had tears in his eyes. 20 years later!

Feenandez and his buddies were stupid, but younger and still feeling invulnerable. So far I hadn't heard any were drunk.

I hope ALL the families get support, not just Jose's.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Thanks for posting that link, windsprints.  I flipped to the MLB network half way through it.

This tragedy brings back memories of Thurman Munson's death.  Growing up on Long Island, I was a lifelong Met fan, but obviously knew and respected Munson.  I was in college at the time, and went to Shea Stadium with a couple of friends to see the Mets and Phillies play a twi-night double header (remember those!)  Early in the first game, maybe the second inning, the batter stepped out of the box, and the players all seemed to be standing around.  Finally, we say they had put a message up on the scoreboard announcing Munson had been killed in a plane crash.  After a few minutes, the game resumed.  At the start of the second game, they asked everyone to rise for a moment of silence - and it got absolutely still in the ballpark.  Off in the distance, a low noise started, gradually getting louder.  I realized it was an airliner taking off from nearby La Guardia Airport, which flew directly over the otherwise silent stadium.  To say it was spooky would be an understatement!

• Love 2

Watching the Marlins highlights on Quick Pitch was heartbreaking. How difficult it must have been for that group to go out and play after such a loss. I lost it when Gordon hit that home run and couldn't stop crying as he rounded the bases. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

I haven't verified this but I don't see any reason why Greeny would make this up, but they just said on Mike & Mike that 16 Marlins reached base last night.

They also keep playing the trumpet solo and I get chills every single time.  The LeBatard Show is going to wreck me.

• Love 1

I'm a Mets fan and watched the entire game. I cried several times throughout. Even our local NY announcing team was fighting back the tears: 

The Marlins team returned to the mound after the game. They posted a video of it on twitter: 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 5

Lots of sadness the last two days with the #JDF16 news - but here's something to picture, to make you laugh and feel better:

@mojoween @attica and the other Yankee fans, mooning Big Papi.
After the Red Sox eliminate them this week, it'll be cathartic for them.

And - then you can click this and read Papi's thoughts as he plays his last games against the Yankees:
Some players are born to be Yankees, you know what I’m saying?

I was born to play against the Yankees.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, attica said:

Please. Ortiz doesn't deserve to gaze upon my perfect heart-shaped ass. I save my callipygian goodness for like-butted men: Jeter, Willie Randolph. :)

You know what they say...

195dc42f_20130215_ThisThreadIsUselessWit

Sorry, someone had to go there. ;-)

• Love 6
22 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Farmer John!  Even as a kid this confused me.  So food was high quality in the East, but tasted bad? and tasted great in the West, but was substandard? 

ETA: I see by googling they're now owned by Hormel.  Sad.  And still not available out here on the East Coast, home of Quality if not Flavor.

Do you remember the "20 dollar book of Union Oil Auto script for the Boy's Club of XXXXXXXX" after every homerun?

---------

This week in baseball revived my wonder of the game - I love the game - but I saw some really classy shit on both ends of the spectrum.

The Dodger batters made it a point to tip their caps to Scully during their at bats during Sunday's game.

At the end, they waited until Vin was given his due and THEN they popped the corks on the champagne.

The grief of the Marlins was felt all across the league and there was some really neat tributes to Fernandez that show how much baseball is a 'team sport'.

These guys spend MORE time together during the year and it's not surprising that everyone's heart broke a little with the news of his death.

----

Word was someone suggested an award to be named after Fernandez that would be given to the rookie/first year player that exemplifies Fernandez' love of the game........

Why not?

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 2

I wonder if he'll be getting a bench in Central Park. Seriously, who doesn't love Big Papi? He comes off larger than life, and he would have to have two more rings than your team to- . . . oops.

Steven Matz is done for the year. The Mets might be the first team to benefit in not going to the postseason. "You know what? You guys have the wild card. And Jay? Don't call us, because we won't be calling you."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

Because we celebrated both Derick Jeter and Mariano Rivera at Fenway?

And in a few years, even the most red blooded Yankee haters are going to tell their kids that they got to see them play at Fenway?

I grew up in a National League City - the American team was down the road, farther - and would have loved to have seen some of the stars before interleague play was intro'ed.

The people you hate today are the guys you cheer for after they make the HoF.

I don't know what kind of gifts the teams have been giving Ortiz during his whirlwind farewell tour, but I did like the Os gift last week - the phone that he destroyed in the dugout 3 years ago after some unfortunate incident on the field.  He didn't seem really enthused about receiving it...  It made me smile though.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I don't know what kind of gifts the teams have been giving Ortiz during his whirlwind farewell tour, but I did like the Os gift last week - the phone that he destroyed in the dugout 3 years ago after some unfortunate incident on the field.  He didn't seem really enthused about receiving it...  It made me smile though.

Well, he should be happy he didn't get one of those Samsung joke phones, the kind that explode?