Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I guess half seasons work? I’m sure both teams are exhausted playing seven days in a row. Now one day break and on to the WS. I’m sure the Dodgers are going to be gassed. Urias is ridiculous! I don’t know how this guy is never considered their ace. He has always been consistent every year.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Maybe there will be an asterisk if Tampa or L.A. wins; maybe not.  I think if you're the former, you'd put an asterisk on most other champions given the lack of a salary cap / the inconsistency between each teams payroll.  Tampa and LA probably could both care less.  Similar to how one plays who's on your schedule, you can only play the season that's in front of you

• Love 4

Congrats to the Dodgers!

This has the potential to be a really good WS. As someone who doesn't have a dog in the hunt, I think I'll be happy no matter who wins. I'd absolutely love to see a small market team win, so yay Tampa, but you also want the excruciating disappointment to end at some point for LA...it's kind of not fun seeing them make the WS and then lose over and over again.

This has got to be the Dodgers' best shot of all the chances in the last couple years, right?

• Love 3

Whenever I see Mookie Betts fail to score runs this series I think to myself “Is this guy worth the 365 million?” Then he literally saves their asses not once, but twice with unreal catches at the wall to rob extra runs. Both catches were huge and completely changed the momentum of the games. I’m hoping his bat gets hot in the WS.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, twoods said:

Whenever I see Mookie Betts fail to score runs this series I think to myself “Is this guy worth the 365 million?” Then he literally saves their asses not once, but twice with unreal catches at the wall to rob extra runs. Both catches were huge and completely changed the momentum of the games. I’m hoping his bat gets hot in the WS.

I don’t know that I can remember a single big hit from Mookie in the playoffs as a member of the Red Sox. His career postseason average is somewhere around like .240-.250, as crazy as that is. His defense will always be spectacular and will save runs, but he’s not Mr. October offensively. It’s one of the reasons I wasn’t heartbroken to see him go.

• Useful 1

What the fuck was the point of Roberts on-camera putting on a mask for the trophy, only to first: not put it over his nose at all and then next: 10 seconds later pull it down to speak. It's not necessary to take it off to use a microphone. The guy talking to you is doing it. Hell every tennis player did it during two grand slams. I feel bad for all the local newspeople constantly being told they can't use b roll of maskless people, and yet we have this terrible example of baseball people constantly pulling their masks down to talk - reinforcing the idea that that's a thing, rather than the fact that it's massively defeating the purpose.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Carey said:

Maybe there will be an asterisk if Tampa or L.A. wins; maybe not.  I think if you're the former, you'd put an asterisk on most other champions given the lack of a salary cap / the inconsistency between each teams payroll.  Tampa and LA probably could both care less.  Similar to how one plays who's on your schedule, you can only play the season that's in front of you

Totally agree with you that you can only play the season in front of you.  I don't think an "asterisk" is ever warranted if all teams are given equal advantages/disadvantages.  Plus, all teams knew going in that the season was going to be shortened.  Adjusting to the situation is part of the game and some teams will do that better than others.

• Love 2

I don't think it's fair to the teams to use *. We all know what happened in 2020. When it's reported, people will say, this was the covid short season. The teams all had 60 games to make their case. One can argue if that's enough, and that's fair, but they still all started 0-0. 

I would much prefer all sports to have less time between games like this. I tend to think it's the better measure of the team as a whole than relying on 2 starters and they you get 56 days off so they each get 2 starts in a 7 game series. 

• Love 3

Cody, that's what you get for being a damn showoff!  Hee hee

No need for asterisks -- it was an even playing field and the two teams most affected by the virus -- Miami and St. Louis -- managed to do well enough to make it to the playoffs.  I think making it through with so much against all of them makes their accomplishments even MORE special.  And I say that hating the Dodgers and their whining over shoulda wouldas re:  Astros cheating.

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

They mentioned this morning that this is the first WS since 1993 that will be played entirely on artificial turf...image.thumb.jpeg.48207811d8364e60b7e04adc1f8a4207.jpeg

The Rays didn't even exist yet. At least it's not the Rays stadium. That place is God awful.

• Love 1

16 in the playoffs is too many. He wants 14, still think that's too many. I would go with 12. Otherwise the regular season is a waste of time, and the first round of the playoffs is a snooze when a bunch of crappy teams get swept.

ETA I also prefer the one game wild card to three games. It just seems more fun to watch to me. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Manfred likes expanded playoffs and putting a runner on 2nd in extra innings. Of course he does.🙄

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30157007/rob-manfred-discusses-state-mlb-wide-ranging-interview

I don't mind expanded playoffs.  I'm okay with what they've done (though a best of 3 at the site of the best non-division winner throughout wild-card), but I'm okay with expanded playoffs.  A runner on 2 is stupid.  I'd prefer a home-run derby for a tiebreaker over that dumb advantage anyday!

37 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Why did they pick Tom Brady to do the intro narration?

Maybe because Herbert is new, and Rivers left LA to go to Indianapolis.  I guess James and Hedman were unavailable

I don’t understand how sports analysts who have been doing this for decades are embracing starting a runner on second.

It’s a manufactured win!  I don’t see how any competitive person enjoys that.  DJ LaMahieu casually strolling down the third base line on a walk-off sac fly was one of the most anti-climactic victories I have ever seen.  I mean, yes, OBVIOUSLY a win is great, but not like that.  IMO.

• Love 5

Can't see the Majors dumping Manfred.  The guys like an insect that you kill but them you lose more time killing an insect half a day later, then you repeat that process until further notice

I'm still sticking with Dodgers in 5, but man, Morton has been dealing this postseason. Tampa could take it tonight, LA tomorrow, but personally I don't think I could deal with someone winning both Games 3-4, and the loser winning Game 5 to force a Game 6

• Love 1

I know it's a pipe dream. I hate all his 'improvements'. They should just make it tee ball and call it a day. More action, faster games. Win win.

I have watched progressively less baseball over the last 5 yrs and the changes he is talking about to come would make me basically skip most of the regular season.

Just venting tonight.

• Love 2

Memory is a funny thing.

Joe Buck reminded us that today in 1993 Joe Carter hit a walk off to win the Series.

I would have bet my mortgage that happened while I was watching the game during a party in college.  But I graduated in May 1993.

I am guessing that I did watch the Blue Jays win the Series during a Campus Hill party, just not the Joe Carter one and I would have SWORN I watched them play the Phillies there, but it is just not possible.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2020 at 7:07 PM, mojoween said:

Joe Buck reminded us that today in 1993 Joe Carter hit a walk off to win the Series.

I know I watched it. I think I was home from undergrad during fall break, but I don't know. 

I haven't watched much sports overall just because I've been busier, and I can't stay up late to watch, but I put the game on while I was watching a movie on my tablet. The Rays kept clawing back back back. I didn't have anything going on today so I wanted to watch the end. 

I mean, what. Even though the RF booted the ball, the tying run was going to score anyway. And actually that guy should have held up at third. The throw to the pitcher cutoff was exactly the right play. I can't believe how awful the throw to the catcher was and how out of position he was. That was bonkers. 

Man, Los Angeles was down to their last strike.  I thought it would end on a 2-run homer, and when it didn't I thought it was going to go into extras.

This was a bad and forth game, in my opinion.  Probably the best game of the series, and definitely better than Game 3.  

Whatever happens, we have a series, no one is blowing a 3-1 lead, and for those that might want to watch Sunday Night Football or if you want to get some sleep for the start of the workweek, then you can.  There will be a game on Tuesday

• Love 1

So we've got a pivotal game 5 with the winner likely to win the series and the Dodgers have Clayton Kershaw on the mound.  If he implodes again then I think he'll go to his grave with playoff choker as the first sentence in his obituary. 

• Love 3

11 years ago was the start of Game 5 of the Phillies/Rays series. It was suspended in the 6th and finished 2 days later on the 29th . 

Yesterday was the 11th year anniversary of Phillies pitcher Joe Blanton hitting a home run during game 4 . He is the last pitcher to have hit a home run in a World Series (pitchers have hit ones in the NLCS/NLDS since then ) and could very likely be the last if they keep the DH in the NL as I expect them to.

• Love 1