Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, cleo said:

So is baseball having a belated metoo moment or is it just the Mets? First Porter now Callaway. 

Callaway was fired following the 2019 season, after two mediocre seasons. I don't see anything that implies the Mets knew about these allegations at the time they let him go.

• Love 2
On 1/28/2021 at 8:09 PM, bosawks said:

I remember seeing old footage of Bob Feller and his stuff still looked AMAZING.

And Steve Carlton’s slider might be the filthiest pitch I’ve ever seen.

Bob Feller was amazing.  In addition to all the great pitching, he took a 4 year break in the middle of his career, from ages 23-27, arguably the most productive years for many pitchers, to serve in WWII in the Navy.  Imagine what his stats would've been had he not served,

ETA: Both Ted Williams and Stan Musial said he was the best pitcher they'd ever faced.  Williams said he had the best fastball.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Pedroia was never the same after Machado slid into him in 2017.  A shame that he'll probably have to deal with knee issues for the rest of his life. 

No probably about it--he said that after a partial knee replacement this past December, he can't run anymore. He's just 37 years old and has 3 relatively young kids. You have to think he'll have to have at least one full knee replacement at some point in the future. A damn shame...and so unfair that Machado is making bank and playing still.

I think Pedroia is borderline for the Hall of Fame, but I certainly hope his #15 goes up in right field as a number retired by the Sox. He's pretty much the definition of leaving it all out on the field, and he's got both the championship rings and the individual hardware to back it up.

• Love 5

My parent's surgeon suggested 90% of people with knee replacement experience no pain within 10 days of the surgery and regain almost full mobility. If he's in constant pain, a full knee-replacement will probably improve his quality of life a ton. And you don't need to run as fast to run after small children as you do to be a professional athlete.

• Love 4

Based on what we are seeing now, during labor negotiations for this pandemic effected season, I find it hard to see how the league will avoid a lockout when they get around to negotiating the regular CBA when the time comes.

• Love 1

Yep. I am not into this season at all and that is partly why.

On another note- if the Mets do get Bauer I can't see him and Stroman in the same clubhouse without a lot of drama sooner or later. Politics aside, they are both prone to mouthing off and throwing tantrums, and both have a huge ego. And I actually like Stroman, but I just cannot see those two getting along at all.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1

Just checking . . . Steve Cohen was a Mets fan before he bought the team, right? You’d think he’d do more to keep things from freefalling. “We are in talks to sign Trevor Bauer. We have spoken to our physicians, and they are 75 percent certain that brain surgery can be performed to cure his being an asshole, while keeping the ability that won him the Cy Young.”

ETA: If the Atlanta team goes with “Hammers,” maybe Cleveland can acquire “Crackers”?

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 2
7 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Looks like the Dodgers won the Trevor Bauer sweepstakes.

Cohen to deGrom: “I will buy you all the runs you need. Just go out and make fans not regret that we didn’t grab the asshole with talent.”

• Love 4

Anyone who can call out Curt Schilling for being the racist asshole he is is a winner in my book, no matter how big of a mouth he has. Congrats to the Dodgers for becoming even more stacked. Now hubby is never going to leave the TV.

Edited by twoods

The Mets have had multiple sexual harassers over the last couple of years. This seems like a situation where the commissioner should step in and sort things out.

The Athletic reported Wednesday that in the summer of 2018, three female Mets employees complained to human resources that Ellis, then the minor league hitting coordinator, had directed lewd comments to them in person and via text message.

Ellis, promoted to the big league coaching staff last summer, was fired last month after New York investigated the matter for a second time. His dismissal came shortly after the club fired newly hired general manager Jared Porter for sending sexually explicit, uninvited text messages and images to a female reporter in 2016 while working for the Chicago Cubs.

Former Mets manager Mickey Callaway, now the pitching coach for the Los Angeles Angels, was suspended this month and is under investigation amid allegations of inappropriate behavior toward several women who work in sports media.

I do not believe for one minute there aren't staffers for every team in the major leagues who ought to be fired for similar reasons. Hearing about the Mets firing these people tells me the new owners mean it when they say they won't tolerate it. If I'm not hearing about firings elsewhere, it makes me think those teams are probably letting people get away with it.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

The O’s response was pretty funny though!

I really just want to be able to go to some games this season.  I think that's the thing I missed most last year. Well, that and eating out and going to the theatre and...  

• Love 5

The Mariners are 3 years too late making that piece of trash Kevin Mather resign. Figures promoting someone with multiple sexual harassment claims would spout racist and insulting shit about his players. I read half of his comments and it made my blood boil. He insulted his top players and even the kids in the Dominican academy that they sponsor. I hope he never gets a job offer again.

• Love 6

Don't worry, teams will make the decision for you

Pujols is done after this season.  He;'s unquestionably a first ballot, upper echelon Hall of Famer but he's also a prime example of how overpaying for past performance can cripple a team.  If you look at his stats his last year in St Louis was the end of GOAT Pujols and it was a pretty fast fall once he went to the Angels.  I think a lot of people's expectations for aging athletes was skewed by the steroid era.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, twoods said:

The Mariners are 3 years too late making that piece of trash Kevin Mather resign. Figures promoting someone with multiple sexual harassment claims would spout racist and insulting shit about his players. I read half of his comments and it made my blood boil. He insulted his top players and even the kids in the Dominican academy that they sponsor. I hope he never gets a job offer again.

Here's how I found out about the Mather story. Hilarious how much he blabbed for no reason whatsoever. Every agent representing any Mariner minor leaguer must be burning up the phone lines demanding earlier callups.

34 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Hey folks - there's a live baseball game on my TV now!!!  Yeah, it's the Yankees, but it's a live game!  

And since I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have something to complain about, I really hope the YES Network is experimenting with scorebugs, and they aren’t going to keep this one, because it’s hard to read especially when both teams use a shade of blue.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

And since I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have something to complain about, I really hope the YES Network is experimenting with scorebugs, and they aren’t going to keep this one, because it’s hard to read especially when both teams use a shade of blue.

I have to like this post, not because I'll be watching much of the YES Network this season (at least I hope I won't be...), but because THERE'S BASEBALL ON!!!!!  

• Love 4

I KNEW that was going to be about Adam Jones because coincidentally, he is also my baseball boyfriend.  Well, side piece, really, because.  You know.

I would welcome him to the Yanks if Baltimore had no room for him!

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 9:06 PM, cleo said:

Yep. I am not into this season at all and that is partly why.

On another note- if the Mets do get Bauer I can't see him and Stroman in the same clubhouse without a lot of drama sooner or later. Politics aside, they are both prone to mouthing off and throwing tantrums, and both have a huge ego. And I actually like Stroman, but I just cannot see those two getting along at all.

I'm happy for Toronto and I'm happy for the Mets that neither of us have to deal with Bauer.  Bauer is going after both Stroman and Syndergaard on Twitter these days.  I was PRAYING that we wouldn't get Bauer, I was praying, anyone but Bauer, LOL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, cleo said:

@Ms Blue Jay same . I was terrified Toronto would sign him.  I was thrilled it didn't happen.

I once stopped Stroman on the street (long before COVID. And my body reacted before I could even stop myself, so I don't know) and he was soooooooooooo nice to me.  So even when I kind of side eye what he does or says I feel like I will always have to support him.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

That's good to hear. Stroman is all about self-promotion, but outside of that I will always have a soft spot for him. 

I'll tell you who I side eye on the Jays team is Grichuk.  It's just an asshole vibe I get but he is smart enough to keep it under wraps mostly.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, cleo said:

I'll tell you who I side eye on the Jays team is Grichuk.  It's just an asshole vibe I get but he is smart enough to keep it under wraps mostly.

Oh my god, I know.  I know from who he's friends with and some of his social media posts.  We're on the same page here.

• Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone know what the rules are for inning and game length this pre-season? I was listening to the Pirates/Orioles game and the O's apparently decided to end the top of the first because of pitch count(?). And the teams previously agreed to nine innings, but it apparently could have gone as low as seven and in the middle of the game they decided to switch to eight.

Really strange.

ETA Just saw that Vi Ripken, wife of Cal Sr. and mother of Cal and Billy passed away. Her grandson, Ryan, played for the O's in their game today.

Edited by xaxat