Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Carey said:

The Twins are the Cards when you compare them to the Pirates.  At least Minnesota has won a playoff series within the past 3 decades!

Hey, we won a playoff game more recently than the Twins.

Even if I thought hoping the Yankees would win would doom them, I just don’t think I could stomach rooting for them.

I am not sure there is anything that could compel me to root for the Yankees.  Maybe world peace.  Maybe. Lasting world peace and good health.  And financial security.  And good homes and happiness for all the animals in shelters.  And a driveway that never needs shoveling. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Carey said:

The Twins are the Cards when you compare them to the Pirates.  At least Minnesota has won a playoff series within the past 3 decades!

Hey, Twins won a World Series in the past 3 decades! - 1991

I know that ESPN is all remote. Matt Vasgersian and A Rod announced the Reds/Braves game and the Yankees/Cleveland game. 

Between the extra innings and the rain delays, that must have been a seriously long day.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

They just showed a big Braves viewing party ... somewhere ... and there was not a mask in sight.  Sigh.

Saw that and had the same reaction. What will it take for people to learn some consideration for their fellow human beings?

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure GA recently lifted most restrictions, so I'm not surprised the viewing party, if it were "at home", was mostly maskless. Not suggesting it's a good idea, but the general pattern seems to be once masks are no longer mandatory, usage drops off a cliff.

So, is everyone jumping on the A's bandwagon now? #BeattheAstros 😁

Seriously, it'll be tough. The A's all seemed to go into a collective slump the last week of the season, getting swept in a DH by SEATTLE on the second to last day of the regular season. Starting pitching is rather suspect, aside from Bassitt. They will have to rely on the bullpen, which has actually been consistently excellent.

But these are the A's. They'll somehow find a way to mess this up. 😭

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I'm pretty sure GA recently lifted most restrictions, so I'm not surprised the viewing party, if it were "at home", was mostly maskless. Not suggesting it's a good idea, but the general pattern seems to be once masks are no longer mandatory, usage drops off a cliff.

The viewing party was held near the entrance of the stadium where the team would presumably be able to mandate masks.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, is everyone jumping on the A's bandwagon now? #BeattheAstros 😁

Seriously, it'll be tough. The A's all seemed to go into a collective slump the last week of the season, getting swept in a DH by SEATTLE on the second to last day of the regular season. Starting pitching is rather suspect, aside from Bassitt. They will have to rely on the bullpen, which has actually been consistently excellent.

But these are the A's. They'll somehow find a way to mess this up. 😭

Lifelong A's fan here. But, please do join the bandwagon. Even if only temporarily. I like Tim Anderson was set to join the White Sox bandwagon several times during today's stressful game. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, cleo said:

Am I the only one getting tired of hearing about Tatis? Not just today, all season. He's a good player. I get it. The ongoing fawning is irritating.

It reminds me of Vlad Jr. last year.

2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Every year has to have its wunderkind, especially if they have "Junior' after their name.

Speaking of "juniors", in today's game the announcers had an interview with the Marlins' pitching coach "Mel Stottlemyre."

I immediately thought "Isn't he dead?" Then I realized it was Mel Jr.

• Love 4

I am perplexed.  When Aaron Hicks hit the sac fly, the ball wasn’t even in the outfielders glove when I got the At Bat notification that LeMahieu scored.  I am not even streaming, I am watching live on TV.

Or should I say “live”?  WTF TBS?

Edited by mojoween

I almost always get scoring notifications from AtBat 30 seconds before they air on cable TV. Then again, if I have Wheel of Fortune on in the kitchen (no cable) and the living room (cable) at the same time, the kitchen is always a few seconds ahead. So I think it probably has more to do with the TV service than the station. Then again they also might be on an intentional slight delay to avoid live-swearing, just in case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yup, I got the Judge and Higgy HR notifications before they’d even swung the bats.  Glad it’s not just me.

Trivia tidbit:  Pete LaCock is the son of original Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall.

Edited by smittykins
  • Useful 2

I wish the Astros weren't in the post season bc I feel like it's turning into this redemption story. Just because the Astros won a couple.of ballgames does not mean they were not lying cheaters. 

If they want redemption they should think about giving back their rings. And how about donating ALL of that extra World Series money they made.

Ya I didn't think so. Trash.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I feel like it's turning into this redemption story. Just because the Astros won a couple.of ballgames does not mean they were not lying cheaters. 

See, I don't think so. I think they're completely embracing their villain status.

Eh they're not embracing that they were liars and cheaters. They want to win and tell everyone to fuck off. That's what they mean by being 'villainous.' 

But really my comment was about the announcers during the game. They keep talking about it and putting up tweets from Astros fans about how 'for real' and awesome they are.

• Love 3

Having absolutely nothing to do with anything occurring in past seasons, I'm rooting against the Astros this year because they were under .500 in the "regular" season and I'm irked that the current playoff format made that possible. Same reason I wanted the Brewers out of it too. This whole season is just....ugh.

If deGrom 3-peats it'll maybe balance things, but at present the season just feels icky for me.

• Love 2