Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I see. I don't like a draft lottery. Sounds like a terrible idea so I'm sure Manfred is all for it.

Speaking of the Pirates- didn't Alford go there? I was sorry he got hurt. Jays treated him like absolute garbage. Last year they called him up opening day, said he made the team. He came all the way to TO, ran into someone getting coffee in the morning, and they told him it was a mistake. 

It was either last yr or the year before. Poor guy had tweeted how humble and glad he was to be on the team, his first opening day.

I would really like to see him get it together and succeed.

Edited by cleo

I actually like the bubble plan. Unlike the "regular" season this year, there is no wiggle room should an outbreak occur. And it insures that the teams will be at full health with respect to covid.

7 hours ago, cleo said:

I see. I don't like a draft lottery. Sounds like a terrible idea so I'm sure Manfred is all for it.

If Manfred is involved, the MLB lottery would include a stipulation that allows for anybody to get the number one overall pick.  The 10 worst teams would have the best shot, but I can see Rob saying, "If that many teams can acquire the best player, or players, then it only makes sense if the other 20 teams get a shot at it!"

That means the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc could actually win the pennant while drafting first overall.  IMO, that's how I see it playing out in Major League Baseball

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Carey said:

If Manfred is involved, the MLB lottery would include a stipulation that allows for anybody to get the number one overall pick. 

That means the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc could actually win the pennant while drafting first overall.  IMO, that's how I see it playing out in Major League Baseball

Do you mean if a lottery is involved in future years? Because the Red Sox currently have the worst record in the AL and I don't see them turning that around much this year.

15 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Do you mean if a lottery is involved in future years? Because the Red Sox currently have the worst record in MLB and I don't see them turning that around much this year.

Future years.  I'm not a fan of the concept, but if a lottery becomes the norm, I could see a scenario where it's non-exclusive to teams missing the playoffs.  The odds for the best teams would, or should be very low, but I don't think I'd be shocked if a powerhouse somehow won a lottery

There definitely should be individual awards (with or without asterisks) because, while not even half as long as a regular season, having to go through corona protocol, a fast ramp-up and a myriad of injuries makes those who excel in those categories EVEN MORE INCREDIBLE AND DESERVING.

• Love 6

It’s great that all of the games start at the same time today to ensure maximum drama, and I will concede it’s nice for the west coast that the games don’t start at 10 am, but for someone who loves both sports a tremendous amount, 3:00 is the WORST time to start on football Sunday.  You have to miss the end of the first games, and basically all of the second.  I know football will last to January, but there are some good games today!

I just want them to release the schedule (timing) of the post season games this week so I can plan. I'm always interested in more than one series and it takes some thought to work out lol.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Well, the season here is over.  It was better than I had any right to expect.  Which isn't saying much, but still...

It just ended here in Cleveland.  And, after a pretty good week of baseball, the Tribe rallied against the Pirates to most likely clinch home field against the Yankees in the Wild Card Round.  Not sure it matters much, but there it is.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

I'm happy Jays are playing Tampa, better the devil you know I guess. Although honestly I'm just happy they're in the postseason, however it ends.

I really wanted to see the A's and Astros duke it out. 

• Love 1

According to the schedules above, the Twins play two different teams next (Astros and Indians). But I've been hearing Houston on the radio this morning. So both Vikings and Twins play Houston teams for their next games.

And yay for Twins winning the division!

• Love 1

Dangit midges! You had one job!

ETA, MLB should have moved the Sox/A's game to a 9 o'clock start. With four games on the schedule, there is no reason for the day to be over before 11 EST.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

It's funny, the announcers etc keep talking about what it's like with no fans. I have been having a hard time getting into the game and realized that's partly why. With post season baseball I love the insane stadiums and the noise and the pressure, the weird things that happen. It just doesn't seem the same with no fans.

With basketball I didn't notice it, maybe bc I find basketball inherently intense and stressful lol. 

I really hope things are normal next year but I honestly doubt it. At least not by Opening Day.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3

Jays are probably done. I guess on the upside they're not the Twins? Man that poor team. I guess they're the new Cubs.

Not surprised about the Jays- they wouldn't have been in except for the expansion, which I'm not a fan of, so it was a weird bonus that I figured would not go far.

Can someone please knock out Houston, thanks.

• Love 2