Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, twoods said:

Seriously. They are going to choke this lead to the Astros, aren’t they. We can’t have nice things. Then they can continue showboating their cheating asses in the WS.

We're going to end up with the Braves and Astros in the WS, and I'm going to be rooting for a giant fissure to open and swallow up the stadium and both teams...

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

We're going to end up with the Braves and Astros in the WS, and I'm going to be rooting for a giant fissure to open and swallow up the stadium and both teams...

This is my greatest fear. It's a brand new stadium, but I would vote for implosion. 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Maybe Tampa can turn it around, but maybe the won't, which would suck because if Houston can come back down 3-0, then L.A. should come back down 3-1.  Or the Dodgers will, only to blow it in the 9th.

At this rate, the sports world is on pace for the 2023 Houston Texans, on a 19 (plus) game winning streak, to lose to  2023 Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Super Bowl LVIII

• Love 1
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Yes, they're the only ones. In Baseball.

No they’re not.  That never happened.

HOUSTON SHOULD HAVE BEEN BANNED FROM POSTSEASON PLAY WHY ARE WE REWARDING DIRTY FILTHY CHEATERS

• Love 10

I don’t think I can stomach the Astros sitting there smugly saying the world is against them for CHEATING and then win the WS to show that they can win one “the right way.” Fuck off. The Rays are done.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I haven’t been keeping up. Are the Braves that detestable?

I don’t know how detestable they are, but I didn’t realize until this week just how much I loathe them, and I have no idea why.

• Love 4

I think Tampa is done as well.  I actually concluded that before Game 6.  They did rally, though it really wasn't a big deal.

I was actually surprised that they were fortunate enough to win Game 3, while unlucky in Game 4; losing Game 5 was very painful since the line up & starters were ones in which the Rays probably wouldn't be able to score while starting pitching was unable to last long.  Houston's bullpen is not bad, but I cannot say the same for Tampa.

In my opinion, this pales in comparison to the 2004 Yankees.  Unlike New York, the Rays are a small market team where a postseason run is a nice bonus.  Furthermore, they're playing 7 games in 7 days.  That being said, there's no excuse to blow a series lead.  The Astros are playing 7 games in 7 days as well.  The 2004 collapse was a lot more painful based on the participants; at the same time it might have been a nice treat for the other half!

To be fair to Lantern, if a fan of Illinois State took to Twitter to disrespect Loyola's 2018 Final Four run, it wouldn't go well for that individual.  

I personally think I'd sleep a lot better without Atlanta in the fall classic.  On the other hand, I'd take it since I don't need to see LA/Houston part 2

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

You call yourself a Mets fan and you ask a question like that?

Back in those days, they had an asshole who speculated that Mets fans rooted for the Yankees when their team was eliminated (Larry Jones), and a redneck that slagged the fans themselves (John Rocker). Also, it's sort of galling to see that you can redeem several runner-up trophies for induction into the Hall of Fame (Bobby Cox).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Carey said:

The 2004 collapse was a lot more painful

Only if you were rooting for the team that collapsed.  On the other hand, if watching that team collapse makes your heart sing...  (Not a Red Sox fan then or now, either.)

• Love 6

And? There will be another Game 7!

Wonder how Buck is feeling since Atlanta's inability to close out forces him to miss Bucs/Packers.  Though I have no idea whether Joe can remotely call both Green Bay AND Tampa Bay before Game Seven with Atlanta & Los Angeles.  Looks like Major League Baseball might be scripted too!

5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Only if you were rooting for the team that collapsed.  On the other hand, if watching that team collapse makes your heart sing...  (Not a Red Sox fan then or now, either.)

I was rooting for a great series.  I think painful might not be the best term.  It was a bigger deal in 2004 due to the participants.  It's still a big deal with Houston and Tampa, but the Rays are inferior as a small market to the Astros.  Sure they might be the villains, but outside of some light hate toward Tampa, the period in the first half of the 2000s was a treat.

Finally, the Rays are playing at a neutral site, so ripping on them beyond the end of doing so wouldn't be fair.  Of course, it wouldn't be my fault if you lose a series despite losing a series clinching game that would've results in a series sweep with a victory

I think -not sure- Joe Davis is calling Game 7 and I love Joe Davis. So much better than Buck. I assume it's Davis and Smoltz but I like Davis better than any of them. But his regular season work is better than post season.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cleo said:

I think -not sure- Joe Davis is calling Game 7 and I love Joe Davis. So much better than Buck. I assume it's Davis and Smoltz but I like Davis better than any of them. But his regular season work is better than post season.

I heard that Joe Davis was calling Game 7 as well.  No way Buck calls NFL football over a Game 7 unless said NFL game including massive stars.  For example, Brady and Tampa hosting Rodgers and Green Bay.

I think in a regular year, FOX and the NFL wouldn't put a game featuring big stars opposite a Game 7, unless it was close enough that Buck could call both.  That, or CBS would get the nod.

Davis is definitely good.  Not sure how he'll do on Sunday; this is somewhat similar to Nantz and College Hoops on CBS, IMO

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I like Davis bc during the regular season he will dig into interesting stuff about the players background and history, and stories about baseball. I think he's more constrained on this in the post season though. Still prefer him.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1

Just checking . . . the team with the lowest winning percentage that made the World Series is still the 1973 Mets, right? And in case you're in a judging mood, they did take the Oakland A's to seven games.

14 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Manfred should send the Rays a fruit basket. Because they saved him from one of the worst public relations situations ever.

There's going to be an asterisk no matter what. Instead of a team known for cheating potentially winning the World Series, we now have a team with about fifteen fans rooting for them. Maybe twenty.

8 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

There's going to be an asterisk no matter what. Instead of a team known for cheating potentially winning the World Series, we now have a team with about fifteen fans rooting for them. Maybe twenty.

As a result, I wouldn't bet on Manfred sending the Rays anything.  It will be interesting to see the rooting percentage between the NLCS winner and the team "that saved the sport" but since Houston is out, people are happy but then several would go back to not watching Baseball knowing that Houston is gone.

Maybe I didn't hear it or it didn't happen due to limited gatherings, but the champagne bottle from the 2004 Yankees has been popped

Just now, Carey said:

Maybe I didn't hear it or it didn't happen due to limited gatherings, but the champagne bottle from the 2004 Yankees has been popped

NASTY. I think of it as "They went Major League 2 on that shit."

4 minutes ago, Carey said:

As a result, I wouldn't bet on Manfred sending the Rays anything.  It will be interesting to see the rooting percentage between the NLCS winner and the team "that saved the sport" but since Houston is out, people are happy but then several would go back to not watching Baseball knowing that Houston is gone.

Where lots of people watching to see the Astros lose? If the Astros made it to the World Series, I would have expected them to win and wouldn't have watched. Now, I'll enjoy watching the World Series as a fan with no emotional investment in the outcome of any of the games. 

• Love 4

Apparently the prevailing wish to lure the casuals to watch the WS was The Cheating Astros vs. The Team They Cheated.

A lot of true baseball fans, anecdotally, wanted those cheaters nowhere near the WS.

• Love 5

In reality, Tampa was lucky to beat Houston. If they want to win it all,  they will have to really get their shit together.  They wasted a ton of opportunities to score runs. I guess teams just abandon what got them there, and wait for the homeruns.  Kevin Cash did his best Dave Roberts imitation by pulling Morton.  (Morton was in complete control, allowing only 2 hits with a low pitch count) .  Decisions like that will eventually backfire....😺

If  you wanna talk pulling pitchers early I give you one Joe Maddon, 2016 WS  /Cub fan still pissed at Joe for pulling Hendricks.

Yeah, and don't talk about Dusty.  As Super Chicken said to Fred, "you knew the job was dangerous when you took it."

Glad the cheaters lost and Tampa is in. But mainly Houston didn't deserve to go to the World Series because of their sub .500 regular season record. They shouldn't have been in the playoffs either.

• Love 9