Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Why would any team take on the baggage that is LaRussa at this point.

I am honestly confused.

Anyway, I want to be on record that in the inevitable conflict that will arise I am already on Tim Anderson's side.

• Love 8

I just found out that Turner is the player rep for the Dodgers.  He had a role in creating the protocols he ignored.

ETA I agree with Sarah Spain.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, basiltherat said:

LaRussa is all Reinsdork's idea because they're buddy-buddy.  Another crazy old fart billionaire franchise owner named Jerry!  I may go back to the Cubs.

Would the Reinsdorf/LaRussa combo hit the record of the oldest owner/manager duo in Major League Baseball history, or just the oldest owner/team runner duo in sports history?  Personally, I would have to flip a coin if I had to choose between the two Chicago teams

• Love 1

I wouldn't have a problem if Cora returned to Boston.  Some people might, but his absence from 2020 was enough of a punishment, IMO.  Would I have been okay if it were more?  Possibly.  However, I don't think Alex should be banned for life.  Therefore, if he returns to the Red Sox, I'd be okay with it

• Love 1

I think they should have been banned, but I also think the players should have been penalized and the WS trophy voided.

There is zero incentive for teams, coaches, or managers to play with any kind of integrity if it gets in the way of a win.

In sports as in life I guess.

• Love 12

Here's the back page of Saturday's Daily News:

Eln2GLGXUAMQMf8?format=jpg&name=900x900

Now . . . as much as this cover tempts fate, as much as the new guy might be closer to Madoff than the Wilpons . . . there's nothing quite like the mental image you get of Mr. Met "making it rain" at a gentleman's club. Or maybe that's just what I get seeing Mr. Met in a mustache and monocle, cash flying from a Halloween pail.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

A couple of years ago the then owners of the Mets fired GM Sandy Alderson and hired former agent Brodie Van Wagenen to replace him.  Last month, the Wilpons sold the team to Michael Steve Cohen, whose first move was to bring back Alderson as team president. Today, in his first move, Alderson fired Van Wagenen.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, xaxat said:

A couple of years ago the then owners of the Mets fired GM Sandy Alderson and hired former agent Brodie Van Wagenen to replace him.  Last month, the Wilpons sold the team to Michael Cohen, whose first move was to bring back Alderson as team president. Today, in his first move, Alderson fired Van Wagenen.

Step 2: Bring back Carlos Beltran. Hey, shame is in short supply these days.

8 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Step 2: Bring back Carlos Beltran. Hey, shame is in short supply these days.

I wasn't a fan of them hiring him in the first place, so I won't miss him if they don't bring him back. I don't think he has ever coached or managed at any level, I don't want him learning how to do it in the majors with the Mets.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

A couple of years ago the then owners of the Mets fired GM Sandy Alderson and hired former agent Brodie Van Wagenen to replace him.  Last month, the Wilpons sold the team to Michael Cohen, whose first move was to bring back Alderson as team president. Today, in his first move, Alderson fired Van Wagenen.

Not that I don't think Michael Cohen would be a great owner for the Mets, but it's Steve Cohen.  I did laugh at the rest of it.  

Honestly, if Michael Cohen bought the Mets, I'd laugh at that too 🙂

• LOL 6

Yes, Justin Turner, Manfred may be a bag when it comes to baseball (we all know he doesn't love it), but that doesn't mean you can put other people's health in jeopardy.  It just looks so damn selfish.  Enjoy your piece of medal.

• Love 6

I see Reinsdorf did his due diligence. Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa charged with DUI stemming from February arrest, court docs show.

It is the second known drunken driving arrest for La Russa, who in 2007 pleaded guilty to misdemeanor DUI in Jupiter, Florida.

ETA It gets worse. The team actually knew about the charges when they hired him. You OK with this Manfred?

Edited by xaxat
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

La Russa's problems with alcohol are well known, but Reinsdorf's gonna Reinsdorf.

It's the price of being a White Sox fan.  It can be really hard most times. ☹️ 🤬

Edited by QueerGirrl

Those who would know posted that LaRussa is in no danger of losing his job with the Sox and that’s just gross.

I’m not saying that someone who broke the law should be a pariah for life, but surely there are some up-and-coming young guys who would be just as suited for the job as a 76 year old with two DUI’s.

• Love 12
On 11/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, mojoween said:

Those who would know posted that LaRussa is in no danger of losing his job with the Sox and that’s just gross.

I’m not saying that someone who broke the law should be a pariah for life, but surely there are some up-and-coming young guys who would be just as suited for the job as a 76 year old with two DUI’s.

I think this was the general consensus even without the DUI history.

• Love 8

This has nothing to do with anything, but David Sampson brought up the 2003 Marlins during his time with Dan LeBatard today so this is his fault, but man I really cannot fucking stand Josh Beckett.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

The HOF ballot is out and I don't think any of the newcomers are going to be contenders.  That means the biggest story will be Curt Schilling.  Based on the votes and his career he "should" make it this year.  However, given current events and his, ahem, divisive persona I'm wondering if some writers will leave him off the ballot.  It would be kind of entertaining if he and Jeter ended up at the same induction ceremony though.

Damn it. And I thought he was turning things around. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 

Is anyone else seeing Helen Ng’s hiring and thinking. “Great, but it’s still the Marlins”? I mean, the fan base isn’t huge, and the biggest “name” is Derek Jeter.

As for Theo Epstein . . . isn’t Sandy Alderson back with the Mets as GM? And I’d imagine Theo being asked to consider coming to Flushing, all, “Yeah, I’ve performed two miracles. If I join the Mets, I’m not gonna achieve sainthood with them.”

Edited by Lantern7