Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I was so excited to watch that game the other day (was it yesterday I have no concept of time) and then I learned that the next two weeks of games won't even be televised here in Toronto.  What a crock!  We are all so bored.

Today the Chicago White Sox were playing the Royals and, when a pitcher had reached his "pitch limit", the Royals' manager ended the inning EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE NOT THREE OUTS AND THE SOX HAD THE BASES LOADED!!  And they did it again in another inning when the Sox had a couple men on base.  (They ended up tying the game). If I were someone who paid to go to that game, I would ask for my damn money back FROM THE ROYALS.!

• Love 1
(edited)

RIP Rheal Cormier. He spent 16 seasons in the league and played for the Phillies, Cardinals, Expos ,Red Sox and the Reds. He was a member of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. He was 53 years old. Fuck Cancer.

Edited by shoregirl
12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

We know football causes CTE. Does anyone know if baseball players have risks? 

My understanding is anyone who has > 1 concussion is at risk. So it's less about football vs baseball and more about "how likely are you to get a concussion?"

Baseball does generally have lower concussion risk than football since not every single play involves collision. But in terms of baseball players, if they used to also play football, or didn't but know they've had more than one concussion lifetime, they're at very high risk. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

My understanding is anyone who has > 1 concussion is at risk. So it's less about football vs baseball and more about "how likely are you to get a concussion?"

Baseball does generally have lower concussion risk than football since not every single play involves collision. But in terms of baseball players, if they used to also play football, or didn't but know they've had more than one concussion lifetime, they're at very high risk. 

Now I'm worried. I had a bad concussion once from skiing. 

But I remember Johnny Damon from his playing days. He never got into trouble back then. Obviously things have changed.

4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Given that his wife was also smashed, I think it's just two people who share a drinking problem.

I don’t understand how they dropped the resisting arrest charges if she physically started slapping a cop. Privilege at its best.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Sports Illustrated: Tom Verducci interviews Francisco Lindor. It's the cover story for the baseball preview issue. This is cause for Mets fans to be concerned, right? Forget the "curse" thing. You read that he wants to save baseball "one smile at a time," you gotta start watching for the falling anvils.

Did he have that hair when he was in Cleveland? Kinda looks like he's got popcorn bursting from under his cap.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2021 at 2:09 AM, Lantern7 said:

Did he have that hair when he was in Cleveland? Kinda looks like he's got popcorn bursting from under his cap.

He sure did!!

17 hours ago, xaxat said:

Minor leaguer Jesus Camargo-Corrales arrested in Colorado after methamphetamine, oxycodone found in Chicago Cubs duffel bag

And we're not talking a couple of pills. I bet you Cubs PR is hating this photo.

r829612_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=j

YIKES. Looks like someone had a big weekend planned. 😳

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Got my Sports Illustrated baseball preview issue this week. In additional to the profile on Lindor, Steve Rushin wrote a piece about the futility of pitchers hitting. You’ll have to subscribe to the service to read The whole thing, or you can buy the print issue. It comes with fun illustrations, including this unflattering memory.

image.thumb.jpeg.241a7aca15a4228bc92aee0747d67e3a.jpeg

Hi Lantern7...the curious part about this is that pitchers tended to be one of the star hitters in the feeder system (little league, legion ball, high school,...even college.)  But, I guess all that specialization eroded their skills.  
Except for ONE major leaguer (there may be others)...but Babe Ruth started as a superior pitcher, and eventually settled on being one of the best hitters ever. 

• Love 1

Gravitating pitchers away from hitting seems to start in college. I've seen many high school games over the years where the starting pitcher was also batting clean-up, because he was the best athlete on the team. In college, there's almost none of that; pitchers focus solely on pitching and sometimes no longer take batting practice. It must break some guy's hearts. I've seen many young pitchers who could really hit, they must hate having to give that up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I get it but having a stadium go CRAZY over a walk, see 2008 Brett Myers NLDS, will be missed.

That was the best...Also Joe Blanton hitting a home run in the World Series.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

That was the best...Also Joe Blanton hitting a home run in the World Series.

I’m surprised no sabermetrician has come up a PBDF (Pitcher Batting Delight Frequency).

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

It's Opening Day, Baby!

It is being reported that the Mets signed Francisco Lindor to an contract extension, 10 years, $341 million starting in 2022. He was already due $22.3 million in 2021 on his current contract. These aren't the Wilpon's Mets anymore...

Let's Go Mets!

• Love 4

Happy Opening Day indeed!  Or, maybe I should say Happy April Fools Day...  

Ah well, at least the Os won't be in last place for one more day.  That's... something ... 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Or, maybe I should say Happy April Fools Day...  

Apparently it is April Fools for the Mets...

Mets-Nats opener postponed; no makeup set

Tonight’s scheduled game between the host Washington Nationals and the New York Mets at Nationals Park has been postponed because of ongoing contact tracing involving members of the Nationals organization. Out of an abundance of caution, the game will not be made up on Friday.

(edited)

Happy Opening Day!

Do you think the Marlins will have a bunch of players test positive and take an internal vote to play and not tell the other team they’ve been exposed?

Because, you know, tradition.

In case you couldn’t tell, still mad....

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

Happy Opening Day!

Do you think the Marlins will have a bunch of players test positive and take an internal vote to play and not tell the other team they’ve been exposed?

Because, you know, tradition.

In case you couldn’t tell, still mad....

Ha.. Same. 

• Love 1