Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 11/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, cambridgeguy said:

The HOF ballot is out and I don't think any of the newcomers are going to be contenders.  That means the biggest story will be Curt Schilling.  Based on the votes and his career he "should" make it this year.  However, given current events and his, ahem, divisive persona I'm wondering if some writers will leave him off the ballot.  It would be kind of entertaining if he and Jeter ended up at the same induction ceremony though.

I really, really, would love to see this happen.  Curt should've been in long before even last year, but IMO, if the reasoning for leaving Curt off the ballot is what several think it is, that might be worse than leaving Bonds, Clemens, etc out. 

I'm not sure this will happen, but I hope Theo's next task is to go to some small market team (no, not the Buccos) since his brilliance has come from Boston & Chicago.  I think he could win wherever he ends up, but there's a ton of room for error within a huge market.  Outside of Tampa, Milwaukee would make the most sense.  Then there are the Yankees; it's been more than a decade since they've won anything.  Epstein to New York would change that right away.

C'mon, Cano.  I can't even say he should know better.  It's strict in Major League Baseball.  Whatever efforts are there to prevent one from the use of PEDs should be doubled at the very least

I’m sorry, but it’s BS!

Indians is not racist.  It’s the legal classification of an enthnicity.  Not like Braves, Chiefs, Redskins.  

And before anyone says anything, my husband is part Arrapahoe, and his family has never had any problemswith it.  All those protests were organized by a professional agitator who paid the protesters transportation and housing/meals. Just so he could get his name in the papers.

• Love 1

"Chiefs" itself isn't racist as it is a term used for the head of a tribe or clan in other cultures. But it's all the extra stuff that goes along with it such as mascot, songs, etc., associating it with and making fun of Native Americans that make it racist

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

"Chiefs" itself isn't racist as it is a term used for the head of a tribe or clan in other cultures. But it's all the extra stuff that goes along with it such as mascot, songs, etc., associating it with and making fun of Native Americans that make it racist

It's also the idea that an ethnic group should serve as a mascot.  Sort of implies that they're less than the rest of us, like they're pets or something.  If it was such an honor for Native Americans to be memorialized as the Cleveland Indians, then where are the Cleveland Hungarians, the San Francisco Chinamen, the New York Jews?  

I understand that not every Native American cares about this, but enough of them do, so it's time.  Past time.  I know that the name 'Indians' was actually given to the team in honor of one of their best players who was a Native American; but times have changed.  

I'm a lifelong Tribe fan, my whole family has been for generations; one of my great uncles was actually a coach during the 40's and 50's and had a World Series ring and everything.  I love baseball and I love this team and I will continue to love it, no matter what name it has.

ETA: I know a couple of actual Native Americans who are also native Clevelanders who have protested at Tribe games for many years.  Maybe outside agitators participated, too, but the people I know are real people, sincere in their belief that the name was wrong.  I remember stopping and saying 'Hello' to the mother of a friend as she marched outside Jacob's Field before the first game there in '94.  I had season tickets and would stop and greet her when I saw her which was always several times a season.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 19
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’m sorry, but it’s BS!

Indians is not racist.  It’s the legal classification of an enthnicity.  Not like Braves, Chiefs, Redskins.  

And before anyone says anything, my husband is part Arrapahoe, and his family has never had any problemswith it.  All those protests were organized by a professional agitator who paid the protesters transportation and housing/meals. Just so he could get his name in the papers.

"Indian" is not a legal classification.  "American Indian or Native Alaskan" is a legal classification, and that distinction matters because, today, the term "Indian" is more strongly and correctly associated with a person from India.  As for whether or not "Indian" is a racist term, that's not for me to decide, although I wouldn't personally choose to use it to describe someone of Native ancestry.  What I do know, however, is that this:

Chief-Wahoo-Logo-History-Cleveland-India

is racist.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

The team name was also based on the nickname of H. Roe Bartle who was instrumental in bringing the team to Kansas City which makes a difference to many observers (since there is a reason rather than just randomly appropriating a cultural reference because it sounds "fierce" or "exotic") although it is largely forgotten today.

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

It's also the idea that an ethnic group should serve as a mascot.  Sort of implies that they're less than the rest of us, like they're pets or something.  If it was such an honor for Native Americans to be memorialized as the Cleveland Indians, then where are the Cleveland Hungarians, the San Francisco Chinamen, the New York Jews?  

I understand that not every Native American cares about this, but enough of them do, so it's time.  Past time.  I know that the name 'Indians' was actually given to the team in honor of one of their best players who was a Native American; but times have changed.  

I'm a lifelong Tribe fan, my whole family has been for generations; one of my great uncles was actually a coach during the 40's and 50's and had a World Series ring and everything.  I love baseball and I love this team and I will continue to love it, no matter what name it has.

ETA: I know a couple of actual Native Americans who are also native Clevelanders who have protested at Tribe games for many years.  Maybe outside agitators participated, too, but the people I know are real people, sincere in their belief that the name was wrong.  I remember stopping and saying 'Hello' to the mother of a friend as she marched outside Jacob's Field before the first game there in '94.  I had season tickets and would stop and greet her when I saw her which was always several times a season.

I was planning on posting basically the same thing. I have only personally discussed the issue with members of various Haudenosaunee nations, and I don't know if their opinions differ from others, but I have encountered a range of opinions with the general consensus seeming to be "using specific local references is OK if used similarly to European cultural references," i.e. they have no problem with a high school team nicknamed the Mohawks when there are also teams named after terms for Dutch and English settlers, the Quakers, etc. while generic terms like "Indians" "Braves" etc. are more problematic, but they would much prefer actions taken to honor broken treaty commitments, etc. and it's rather minor compared to those bigger problems. So while opinions are not monolithic that doesn't mean that there is not good reason to rename teams or that nobody actually takes offense.

Personally I hope that they go way back in their history and revert to the Cleveland Bluebirds. And that Toronto takes them to court and spends all their money on the lawsuit and is unable to mount a serious threat in the AL East...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

You could have also gone with New York Wiseguys. I always thought mascots/nicknames were kind of silly anyway. They don't do it in european soccer. 

EPL teams have nicknames. Not very original ones for the most part (although one team is the Magpies), but nicknames nonetheless. Not sure about La Liga, Bundeslinga, etc. 

That's not technically true in the sense of "New York Yankees" as we're talking about 'nicknames', which I'm not sure is the right term in this context. Chelsea is called 'the Blues'. Not the Chelsea Hawks or something. West Ham is the 'hammers' because of the name. The equivalent would be calling them the Pinstripes. There's no Liverpool Arthurs, or some such. It's a totally different paradigm. 

Obviously there's exceptions. 

Real Madrid is just 'los blancos' for the white uniforms, similarly. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic

Those football examples do not sound particularly different from White Sox, Red Sox, Redlegs. In MLB right now the only team without a "nickname" is the Nationals, since back in the day every NL team was technical CityName Nationals, and the AL teams were CityName Americans. Then they got nicknames which are the names we use now besides the city.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

My FIL and his sister were contacted several times.  My FIL eventually put his foot down and threatened to send the media & sheriff after the guy (from NY I believe).

But they offered to pay his gas & mileage (since he lived in Vermilion, abt 1.25 hours from Cleveland), and  elma’s hotel, meals (plus transportation on a travel bus).  So I do know there were professional agitators.

ETA to me they will always be THE TRIBE playing at THE JAKE

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Red Sox, etc., was what I meant by exceptions. 

However, you don't really say, the Chelsea Blues are playing Liverpool. But we'll say, that we're going to see the Cubs/Cards. I don't think there's any trademarking, etc. That's what I meant by saying Pinstripes. Red Sox is technically a legal brand AFAIK. 

That's why I think it's all a bit much. Cleveland players are still playing and getting paid. I'm doubtful it affects their game. 

On 12/14/2020 at 5:50 PM, roamyn said:

ETA to me they will always be THE TRIBE playing at THE JAKE

Maybe they could become "the Jakes"?

I've also heard "Dobys" suggested. I know about Larry Doby, I know that'd be a great way to honor him . . . but there would have to be a Doberman mascot. Something really fun for fans to wear, without everyone giving them shit about it.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

The most interesting thing to me about this is it didn't refer to them as "The Cleveland Baseball Team".

I thought I read that they were keeping the Indians name for one more season?

41 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He was released from the hospital after 7 weeks earlier this week, so I thought he was doing better. ☹️

He might've been released to hospice care at home or in another facility.  Not too many 90 somethings are going to survive an illness that keeps them in the hospital for 7 weeks.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

A lot of the time, being released like that is so you can die peacefully at home, not because you're better (don't ask me how I learned that after the fact).

Yeah, it dawned on me after I hit send that he probably went into hospice. 

eta He probably went home. Both of my parents had hospice care at home and passed there rather than a hospital.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1
On 1/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, smittykins said:

My heart is just broken this season.   Between the rumors abt my beloved Omar, Cookie, Francisco, the INDIANS history & pride, I don’t know if I can watch the team next year.  And I STILL haven’t gotten over 1997 or 2016.

Also, RIP to one of the most colorful and ardent support of MLB this past 50 years.  You truly deserve your rest Mr. Lasorda.  And Thank You.