Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Whew!  Thank you, Rays, for not making it a semi final to suck.  We already have the cry baby Dodgers vs. Hanoi Jane's tomahawk-choppers and we almost had the Houston Cheaters vs. the Evil Empire.  It would have been a shame for everyone to go through what they did this season to have a Dodgers vs. Yankees WS aka the same old same old.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

My deathbed now has a new lament.  Once I get done cursing Ben McAdoo for benching Eli, I will be cursing Aaron Boone and his stupid STUPID game two decision.

I’m never going to get over that.

How did he screw up?

He used Deivi Garcia as a starter, then yanked him in the second inning for JA Happ, who promptly gave up three runs.  He never should have taken out Garcia until he saw if Garcia got into trouble.  This whole series would have been different, and he fucked it all up in game two.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

He used Deivi Garcia as a starter, then yanked him in the second inning for JA Happ, who promptly gave up three runs.  He never should have taken out Garcia until he saw if Garcia got into trouble.  This whole series would have been different, and he fucked it all up in game two.

Yes, but was this Boone’s idea or Cashman’s?  I haven’t read any reporting on this point, but I know in general these types of decisions are up to the GM these days.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:25 AM, Lamb18 said:

I'm not exactly a fan, but I want them to beat the Astros. I didn't realize they hadn't won a WS since 1989 series. Was anyone watching back then?

Sadly, the A's went about as far as I expected them to go. It would have been better if ti was someone other than the Astros that took them out. We grew up going to Sunday afternoon games with our grandmother. Our dad didn't go very often. But, he took us to one of the World Series games. I was a fan then, but didn't appreciate it as much as I will if it ever happens again. 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:12 PM, Lantern7 said:

Seriously, do the Rays have fans? They've been playing in the same park since 1998, and they haven't gone over 2 million fans since that first season. On the other side, the Astros finished under .500. Is that a pet peeve for anyone else? I feel that any team that doesn't have a winning record -- in ANY sport -- shouldn't get into the postseason.

For the next week or so the Rays might have quite a few fans. Maybe most of their fans just watch or listen to the game at home. Attendance for A's games tends to be pretty low, too. But, they managed to draw 46,000+ for last year's  A's/Rays wild card game and around the same number for the 50th anniversary of being at the Coliseum in 2018. Both experiences were pretty great even if the outcome of the game wasn't. Where the Rays able to sell out their playoff games last year?

Agree about the <500 teams generally and the Astros specifically. 

• Love 2

I assume the announcers/ media need to start the redemption tour kind of talk to start legitimizing them in case they make the WS. Bc I imagine MLB wouldn't like the alternate story about how the players got off scott free, no penalty from MLB, no fans to deal with, sub 500 team and here they are again in the post-season.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cleo said:

I assume the announcers/ media need to start the redemption tour kind of talk to start legitimizing them in case they make the WS. Bc I imagine MLB wouldn't like the alternate story about how the players got off scott free, no penalty from MLB, no fans to deal with, sub 500 team and here they are again in the post-season.

Sounds likely. I'm out of the loop for the most part. Are the Rays marketable at all? I'm thinking MLB's best case involves the Dodgers winning the title. They've been knocking at the door, and Mookie Betts seems like someone MLB can sell to new fans.

• Love 1

For some reason, I just do not like Mookie Betts.  I’m assuming it’s residual Red Sox hate.

They’ve been marketing the Rays as a fun group of guys who get it done.  It’s fairly reminiscent of the “lovable losers” from 2004, which is gross, but if it helps the Rays get past the Astros, I’m all for it.

• Love 2

Ron Darling was talking about how Joe Morgan was the first batter he ever faced and THAT is the kind of commentary I love during a broadcast.  Like when Ken Singleton tells stories about playing under Earl Weaver.

And I know that makes me a musty fusty old bat but I do not care.  I am not interested in analytics and launch angles and shifts and exit velocity.  More anecdotes about David Cone as a rookie playing with George Brett and even A-Rod meeting Joe Torre for the first time.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The new Titletown?

Fuck’s sake I hope not, unless it stops at the World Series AND GOES NO FURTHER.

Fair enough.  I love Tampa, but not ready for another Titletown right now.  Though I might reconsider if Atlanta wins the Pennant

17 hours ago, mojoween said:

For some reason, I just do not like Mookie Betts.  I’m assuming it’s residual Red Sox hate.

They’ve been marketing the Rays as a fun group of guys who get it done.  It’s fairly reminiscent of the “lovable losers” from 2004, which is gross, but if it helps the Rays get past the Astros, I’m all for it.

Being a Dodgers fan who likes Mookie Bettts would be more satisfying that being an A's fan. Sadly, that's not in the cards for me. These two days of being a Rays fan have been great though. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm an A's fan who likes Mookie Betts. I even root for the Dodgers. What do I win? 😁

I'm a YANKEES (!!) fan who can’t help but like Mookie Betts.  He’s just a wonderful player and very appealing guy.  (And I even liked him when he was a Red Sox.)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I'm a YANKEES (!!) fan who can’t help but like Mookie Betts.  He’s just a wonderful player and very appealing guy.  (And I even liked him when he was a Red Sox.)

True. Mookie was on CC Sabathia's podcast a couple of times and I enjoyed both episodes. I'm happy he got his gazillion dollar contract, too. 

• Love 1

It's 2020.  That being said, fortunately the option to switch from FS1 to TBS is there.  Therefore, one has a right to make the switch... just in time to catch Houston going yard to lead 1-0

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

It's 2020.  That being said, fortunately the option to switch from FS1 to TBS is there.  Therefore, one has a right to make the switch... just in time to catch Houston going yard to lead 1-0

Yeah, I made the switch just in time to see that. Oh well, it's just one run, but that said, this has been a low scoring series so far.

Dodgers imploding again. I honestly think their high in season success is largely bc they haven't had competition in their division the last few years. I thought 2017 was their best team the last few years.

• Love 1

As usual the Dodgers high power offense falls asleep during the playoffs. Trying to squeak out a win by scoring all your runs at the end isn’t going to cut it. If they don’t wake up they are going to get swept, and because the Padres look pretty good this year this is likely their last division title for a while.

• Love 2