Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I wondered between seasons if they might put some cutouts in the not-in-use seats to enforce distance, prevent people from seat wandering, etc but I guess that'd probably just result in drunk people punching cutouts, walking off with them, and other distracting tomfoolery so maybe it's best not.

An example of the increased commercialization of baseball. I noticed the Yankees are superimposing sponsors logos on the pitchers mound this year, changing with almost every inning. Don’t know if other teams are doing this too.

5 minutes ago, Rickster said:

An example of the increased commercialization of baseball. I noticed the Yankees are superimposing sponsors logos on the pitchers mound this year, changing with almost every inning. Don’t know if other teams are doing this too.

I'm watching the Phillies and they are not doing it.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Tigers are doing the same, but didn’t notice if it changed every inning.  Maybe next they will superimpose logos in the grass.

3 hours ago, Rickster said:

Yankees, or ESPN?

It could be just ESPN.

(edited)

I'm in Canada (so not watching ESPN) and they're doing it on broadcasts here. Not today but all of last season. That's what was so distracting for me- I was watching games set in the US and then on the mound they were superimposing ads for Canadian companies that don't have a presence in the US. And it stuck out to me like a sore thumb lol. And then they would change it every inning which made it worse.

Edited by cleo
On 4/1/2021 at 5:58 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Ah, nothing like starting the year with the Twins' bullpen imploding. (And Donaldson pulling a hammy.) Hope Rocco has a good supply of antacids.

I listened to that game on the radio at work and then watched the reply on TV last night.  Both sets of announcers nearly said Miller Park about 2 dozen times.  A stadium name change can be challenging.  

I'm really surprised that MLB is pulling the All Star game from Georgia.  They are usually so slow to act.  Thomas Boswell called it MLB's most important action since Jackie Robinson.   From what I've read it was not due to the threat of a boycott by the players but pressure from corporate sponsors.  Money talks.  I wonder where the game will go.  After all, there's a lot of states trying to do what Georgia did in restricting voting processes.  

• Love 3

I like the home run derby but I find the ASG incredibly boring. Every year I check it out bc it seems like it should be cool or fun and I usually only last an inning. 

• Love 3
On 4/1/2021 at 4:10 PM, mojoween said:

You know, I think the empty or cardboard cutout stadiums looked better than half-full socially distanced seats behind home plate.

Actually, the cutouts always creeped me out...they reminded me of a cross between a Kevin Costner baseball movie and a Stephen King horror flick!! 😂 It's also nice hearing actual crowd noise. Hopefully as time goes on and more people are vaccinated, more fans will be allowed back into the ballparks.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Calvada said:

After all, there's a lot of states trying to do what Georgia did in restricting voting processes.  

Only 7 states are not trying to do what Georgia did - Ohio being one of them. I'd suggest Cleveland, but we had the last ASG in 2019. How about Cincinnati? 😉🥰

9 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Only 7 states are not trying to do what Georgia did - Ohio being one of them. I'd suggest Cleveland, but we had the last ASG in 2019. How about Cincinnati? 😉🥰

They had it in 2015. It's looks like the Dodgers have it next year. I think Toronto would be out because of Covid (Where are the Blue Jays playing this year ?) . The Phillies haven't had it since 1996 but they already announced them for 2026 for the Semiquincentennial. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

They had it in 2015. It's looks like the Dodgers have it next year. I think Toronto would be out because of Covid (Where are the Blue Jays playing this year ?) . The Phillies haven't had it since 1996 but they already announced them for 2026 for the Semiquincentennial. 

Dunedin.

• Love 1
On 4/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, xaxat said:

OK, Matt Vasgersian and Buck Showalter are discussing countries outside of the US that have produce the most players. 

Puerto Rico is on the list.

They're either idiots or using Olympics' rules. PR is separate from the US for the Olympics.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

They're either idiots of using Olympics' rules. PR is separate from the US for the Olympics.

I love Buck.

I'd go with A.

• LOL 2

Patrick Saunders, the Rockies beat reporter from the Denver Post, tweeted that the ASG is going to be at Coors Field.  If true, I'm curious to hear how MLB came to this decision.  

• Love 1

. . . and the Mets blow things up for themselves. deGrom’s all, “Sure, my ERA is all zeroes, but this isn’t a good sign.”

Gary Cohen just announced this is the thirty-first time the Mets’ bullpen wasted Jacob’s efforts.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Okay, so maybe I should just buy wine now and not bother to save for the WS...  🙂

It's totally selfish, but I am rooting for your O's. Because I'm a Pirates fan and want them to get the first pick in the draft.

• LOL 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Did anyone see the footage of the Rangers' home opener? I don't want to go into forbidden waters, so I'll just say I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. This does not look good. 

I think I know what you're talking about, and I won't follow up. I will say that I was happy to see Steven Matz getting the win for the Jays in Arlington.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

Coors Field has the 3rd largest capacity of MLB stadiums, behind Dodger Stadium and Yankee Stadium.  Perhaps that, projected COVID status/rules, and hotel availabilty swung things in their favor.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Coors Field has the 3rd largest capacity of MLB stadiums, behind Dodger Stadium and Yankee Stadium.  Perhaps that, projected COVID status/rules, and hotel availabilty swung things in their favor.  

It's Manfred.  He probably was just drinking a Coors Light and boom Denver gets the ASG.

Occam's razor 🙂 

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I don't understand why the Dodgers didn't get it, since they were set to host it last year and couldn't.