Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

There has to be something "interesting" going on for Will Harris to be joining the Nats ( by that I mean karma-related). If he can improve the bullpen, yeah!  I like his mentally healthy attitude too.  Hope my fellow Washington fans will welcome him in our positive Nationals style. 

• Love 1

Wow, MLB came down HARD on the Astros! 

Sorry, I can't paste the article, but Lunhow and Hinch suspended for a year, loss of high draft picks, and a $5M fine.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Punishment for the Astros reportedly handed down.

According to the Athletic article Alex Cora could still be punished for his role with the Astros but it will be after the MLB finishes investigating the Red Sox .

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

According to the Athletic article Alex Cora could still be punished for his role with the Astros but it will be after the MLB finishes investigating the Red Sox .

The stuff I've seen so far makes it sound like Cora is going to almost definitely see a similar stiff penalty. 

No shock that the Astros owner fired his two guys. They were gone for the year anyway, and it's one of those deals where "it's a black eye for the organization, blah blah blah, put it behind us" is kind of what the owner HAS to do.

• Love 3

Yep, they cheated and won a WS because of it. Strip them of their title and then we will talk about how harsh their penalty was. A title is worth more than 5 million, draft picks, and their coach and manager. What a fucking joke.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yep, they cheated and won a WS because of it.

Very, very, very hard to prove. (The 'they won because of cheating', not the actual cheating which apparently, was rather easy to prove.)
This was a textbook case of being made an example of. If there's anything MLB is terrified of, it's fans losing belief in integrity of the game.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

At first I was confused.  How did they go from 1yr suspensions to being fired?

Then it dawned on me that MLB places the suspensions, not the owner.  It was probably the right move, and I think Cora needs some strict penalties as well, since it seems like he was one if the biggest contributors to the scheme.

And yes, their 2017 WS title needs to be vacated or at minimum asterisked.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Very, very, very hard to prove. (The 'they won because of cheating', not the actual cheating which apparently, was rather easy to prove.)
This was a textbook case of being made an example of. If there's anything MLB is terrified of, it's fans losing belief in integrity of the game.

How is it hard to prove when they cheated? They won both games 3 and 5 at home, and Yu Darvish swore he thought he was tipping pitches in games 3 and 7 because he was wondering how the Astros knew all of his pitches. Yeah game 7 was at Dodger stadium, but he had it in his head from game 3 what was going on and then psychologically took a toll on him for two years. It’s unfair for the teams and players who got screwed over because of this. Then the Dodgers faced another cheating team in 2018. Teams will keep on cheating as long as they get a slap on the wrist for winning championships. Take those championships away and teams will stop cheating!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Me: Man, how bad is it in Houston? Texans blow a 24-point lead, and now the Astros are the Patriots of MLB. You’ll never see the Mets do stuff like that!

Internet: The new manager is alleged to have played a huge role. I hope your boy Brodie has a Plan B in case MLB circles back on Carlos.

Me: Ummmmmmm . . .

Internet: And aren’t the Mets inviting Tebow to spring training again?

Me: 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 4

Hinch saying he tried to break the monitor or whatever- you're the fucking manager. You can't speak up to your team about something you don't like? Then you're not qualified for the job or you dont really disagree.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 8
On 12/27/2019 at 5:28 PM, cleo said:

I don't think there's many Jays fans here, but I'm happy about the Ryu signing. I was completely shocked by it though.

I watch the Dodgers a lot, so I've seen Ryu pitch a lot. He is injury prone and sometimes he's just completely off, but when he's good he's pretty good. I'm a little more interested in the season. I don't expect much- it would be nice if they could break 500. But I will at least watch and see how it goes, bc before this signing I had every intention of just watching LA all season. 

I wish baseball were starting sooner though...as soon as xmas is over I'm ready for it lol. 

It was the shock of all shocks.

I've been bitching and moaning for years about how Atkins/Shapiro refuse to spend even $1 to make our country the tiniest bit happier yet keep raising our damn ticket prices, lol.

So they finally spent the big bucks.  I was SHOCKED.  I eat my words.  Everything I said *was* correct, back then, and maybe the bullying helped.  LOL!!!

I'm very happy and excited!!!

On another note, I can't believe that Astros President making that statement throwing everyone else, including the players, down the river like that.  So fucking unprofessional!  You are the PRESIDENT of the team!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I have a question now that they fired Hinch and Luhnow. Technically since they are fired are they really serving their suspensions? It ultimately probably doesn't matter because  I don't see either of them getting hired anytime soon but I'm curious.

• Love 2

Ms Blue Jay they've even got me thinking about going to opening day which I never usually do. I like to go when the weather is warm. But I may go this year.  

1 minute ago, shoregirl said:

I don't see either of them getting hired anytime soon but I'm curious.

I think Hinch will have no problem getting a job again once a yr is up, which bothers me. Not sure about Luhnow. But Cora may be done if MLB is really calling him out as having played such an active role. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I have a question now that they fired Hinch and Luhnow. Technically since they are fired are they really serving their suspensions? It ultimately probably doesn't matter because  I don't see either of them getting hired anytime soon but I'm curious.

They are suspended by MLB.  They can't do any business for any MLB team, they can't even be in a stadium.  

If you've been a sports fan for any length of time, there's always a person or two that brings disgrace to your team by using PEDs, playing dirty, or being a dirtbag in his/her personal life (things like domestic violence) but to have the whole team working together to cheat?  Wow.  And just like the fact that a bigger number of people involved in a criminal conspiracy means a greater possibility one of them talks, no one ever thought hey, these guys aren't going to be Astros for the rest of their lives, and maybe we should think about might happen when someone is traded or becomes a free agent?

I think the Astros should have to lower the banner for the WS championship and raise the garbage can.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, cleo said:

Ms Blue Jay they've even got me thinking about going to opening day which I never usually do. I like to go when the weather is warm. But I may go this year.  

I heard that the Astros hitting coach is now our bench coach??????? LOL!  That makes me side eye him!

Once I went to a game in April and it was a big mistake because they had the roof open!  It was really, really cold.  Just make sure to bundle up or check https://twitter.com/IstheDomeOpen before you go.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, shoregirl said:

I've been to games in Philly in April and they can be brutal. I can only imagine how cold it could be in Toronto.

I've been to games in Cleveland in April several times, and none of those times it was warm. Ironically, two of those games had the Indians playing the Blue Jays. 😎

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I've been to games in Cleveland in April several times, and none of those times it was warm. Ironically, two of those games had the Indians playing the Blue Jays. 😎

I have been going to Opening Day in Cleveland for more than 40 years and the game has more than once been postponed due to snow.  Two years ago, it didn't snow, but was in the 30's and windy as hell.  I have been colder at Tribe games in April than at Browns' games in December.

This year, MLB has done us an extra special favor in that our home opener will be March 26, because the first week in April is apparently too balmy.

I also think that Houston's WC championship should be vacated.  I don't care if they ever won a single game that season due to cheating; the entire team participated in a coordinated plan to break the rules.  And, every dam* one of them should have to turn in their WS rings and give back the winner's share, for that matter.

And if the 'Stro's ownership has any class, they will remove all banners, pennants and other references to the World Series they didn't win fairly from the ballpark.

If the investigation in Boston proves that the Red Sox cheated, too, then they can just give back their rings and checks, too.  And Alex Cora can be banned for life for spreading the poison.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13

So do we think Beltran is next, even though he was just hired by the Mets?

Also Josh Donaldson seems to prefer cold weather teams, since he signed a 4 year deal with the Twins.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 1

Boy, this thing metastasized quickly. MLB has put a gag order on the other teams, supposedly because some folks on the Astros said they know of eight other teams did the same thing. (Boston being one of them, probably.) So if the other clubs keep quiet, Houston will quietly serve as an example to not do this anymore.

• Love 2

Quite a tongue bathing they gave cora on the way out though. The statement said they were proud of the impact he had on the team....ummm the cheating? 

Cora's statement- proud to bring a world series trophy to the city.....um based on cheating?

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think that by getting in front of the situation, the Sox hope to not receive the penalties that the Astros incurred. I would be fine with both the Astros and Sox having to forfeit their WS titles.

But, in the end, what did they have to lose? It seems like there was plenty of evidence that Cora was deeply involved in the Houston cheating and MLB gave the manager there a season-long suspension with far less evidence of his personal involvement.  I presume the only reason Cora wasn't suspended along with Hinch is because MLB is going to finish the Boston investigation first, presuming Cora cheated there, too.  Spring training is only about a month away, the Red Sox need to get their plans in place.  No point going to spring training with a manager who is going to be banned shortly; better to just start fresh now.

15 minutes ago, cleo said:

Quite a tongue bathing they gave cora on the way out though. The statement said they were proud of the impact he had on the team....ummm the cheating? 

Cora's statement- proud to bring a world series trophy to the city.....um based on cheating?

I guess the Red Sox and Cora really are just that clueless.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, cleo said:

I think they clearly only care that they got caught.

Yep, and they think that, as long as they keep plugging their tremendous skill in winning the World Series, that no one will remember that they were pounding on trash cans, too.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

So do we think Beltran is next, even though he was just hired by the Mets?

Beltran was the only player named in the report. I wonder if that was Manfred sending a signal to the Mets.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The Patriots recording the Bengals hasn't been resolved by the NFL yet.   If the Patriots are found guilty of anything, I wonder if the NFL will be under greater pressure to give out a stiffer penalty than they otherwise would have given,  given how MLB came down hard (but not hard enough IMO) on the Astros.

Not that the NFL Commissioner's office has ever trafficked in facts, but it's been reported that they found no connection between the videographers and the Football Operations: Cincinnati Enquirer Story

• Love 1

While I'm no fan of either team, and I'm sure when it's all said and done it won't be just the Astros and Red Sox who were doing some version of this (the old "hey, they're doing it!" two wrongs make a right logic), I don't see this as a "Forfeit their championship" kind of thing.

Sign stealing itself is not against the rules, and is pretty much expected. That's why catchers throw down a whole bunch of signs that simply mean, fastball. It is a time honored tradition in MLB, and is okay. Using mechanical means to do so has been against the rules for almost 60 years, and that's why people are being suspended for entire years, and maximum fines are being handed out. It gave those teams an unfair advantage in the stealing signs component of the game.

Not sure if banging a garbage can counts as "mechanical means" but the rest of it was definitely not allowed, and the Houston manager should have stopped it. That's why he got a year suspension.

From the way information is shaping up in Cora's case, it sounds like he might have been the one organizing it. If he organized and set it up while he was the manager of the Red Sox, I wouldn't be shocked if MLB gives him the Pete Rose treatment.

• Love 2

I don’t think anyone in the current commissioner’s office has the balls (hee!) to go full Pete Rose on anyone.  Bart Giamatti was one of a kind and taken from us way too soon.

• Love 5

I don't really have much invested in this whole issue but it is interesting that this is really about where the line is drawn on cheating - as it how much can you actually cheat?

I think baseball chose its side with letting everyone get away with all the juicing, or even letting them get away with snorting coke so the collective league clutching of pearls seems kind of hollow. Which again is how far are you allowed to cheat issue.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:47 PM, jennifer6973 said:

Also Josh Donaldson seems to prefer cold weather teams, since he signed a 4 year deal with the Twins.

LOL!  Toronto is cold, but not during the baseball season.  I'm talking like one week in April.  I'm assuming he spent the Toronto winters in Florida.  Toronto during spring and summer is fantastic.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I would guess MIinnesota is possibly colder than Toronto. We have barely dropped below freezing all winter. For better or worse we get more rain than snow now. I feel like it's Vancouver half the time. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

"Quit before getting fired" or "Asked to quit and allowed to make it seem like his idea"...

Looks to me like everyone is backing away from the lepers as fast as they can.  I don't blame them.  Once, again, Beltran was mentioned by name by more than one witness as being deeply involved in the cheating.  He's kryptonite and they might as well get moving into the next phase before spring training starts.  Makes me think there is a lot more to this story than we know and that everyone is expecting the other shoe to drop.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't really have much invested in this whole issue but it is interesting that this is really about where the line is drawn on cheating - as it how much can you actually cheat?

I think baseball chose its side with letting everyone get away with all the juicing, or even letting them get away with snorting coke so the collective league clutching of pearls seems kind of hollow. Which again is how far are you allowed to cheat issue.

I think baseball got bit in the butt by the PED scandals and that has led them to take a stronger stance against using electronic means to spy on other teams.  They're trying to get ahead of this stuff, the future of the sport depends on it.  If they allow video cameras and smart watches then what is to stop other teams from using drones and planting listening devices? 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Beltran out as Mets manager. 

“Mickey! Heeeeeey, buddy! How have you been? Listen, we want to throw a hypothetical at you real quick . . .”

I know, probably the best thing for all concerned, and yet I must 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

A little surprised by Jessica Mendoza's take on this that Fiers should have kept his mouth shut. She tries to explain oh I meant this once the backlash started but I don't buy it.

Oh the poor team who will think about them?

What about the players whose stats are affected by it? 

I'm really curious about the Red Sox report. Will also be interesting to see how the Sox and Astros are received on roadgames this year.

• Love 4
On 1/15/2020 at 8:58 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think the juicing question is a lot more complex, one that starts with individual people choosing to put stuff in their bodies.  This sign stealing with electronics question has to do with a true team conspiracy to cheat.

I have not, however, heard a convincing explanation for why the players who were known to have taken part are not receiving any punishment.  It's bs to have one (now former) player mentioned by name.  Hey, MLB?  How 'bout you name every player you have enough evidence for and give them suspensions too.? If it means the Astros have to field a minor league team for a few months, then so be it.

And mete out the same punishments for other teams if the same stuff comes out.

And one more thing .... take away the title too.  

Long live the 2017 World Series Champs, the LA Dodgers.  

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 11

If the allegations relating to Altuve and Bregman wearing a buzzer are true, this brings down the whole house of cards.  There is cheating (stealing signs while on 2nd) and then there is this.  Totally a different ballgame (heh) and enough that the title should be stripped.

The weirdest rumor on Twitter today was the "Mike Trout takes HGH for a thyroid condition" one.  I guess we'll hear more about that in days to come.

• Love 2