Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 10/20/2019 at 3:31 PM, Ohwell said:

But watch out for those baby sharks!

I love when the baby shark song plays at Nats Park!  

On ESPN, they said that Minute Maid Park is new to the Nationals.  I was unaware of that.  I understand that it gets very loud in there.  I have only been there twice, and it was the regular season.

The local news in DC just showed a preview with the Nats in Houston on the field at Minute Maid Park.  I cannot choose between these teams!  Max Scherzer and Anthony Rendon are my favorite Nats. On the Houston side, I love Altuve, Correa, and Springer.  Extra points if Biggio is there and gets on camera.  I agree with the person upthread that Biggio is still smokin' hot.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1

Biggio has always been my favorite player with Francisco Lindor now a very close second!  Fun fact: We hosted our rehearsal dinner at Minute Maid Park when it was first built and called Enron Field.  Everyone thinks it was my husband’s idea.  It wasn’t. ☺️. Go, Astros!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

On ESPN, they said that Minute Maid Park is new to the Nationals.  I was unaware of that.  I understand that it gets very loud in there.  I have only been there twice, and it was the regular season.

The local news in DC just showed a preview with the Nats in Houston on the field at Minute Maid Park.  I cannot choose between these teams!  Max Scherzer and Anthony Rendon are my favorite Nats. On the Houston side, I love Altuve, Correa, and Springer.  Extra points if Biggio is there and gets on camera.  I agree with the person upthread that Biggio is still smokin' hot.

Yeah, I don’t think the Nationals have played at Minute Maid Park since the Astros were in the National League. It does get loud, especially with the roof closed, which it will be. 

Craig Biggio goes to a lot of games. A lot a lot. Ditto Nolan Ryan and Jeff Bagwell. They don’t just show up during the playoffs, they’re there all year. 

I bet they show Kate Upton on camera, for sure. They love doing that. 

4 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I think I'm mostly rooting for this WS to go 7! I'm pulling for the Nats on principle but I also love Springer and Altuve, so won't be disappointed as long as it's a good series.

You need the Twins for that (1987 and 1991).

I rarely get home from work before 8pm, but I thought I'd try tonight so I could see opening ceremonies.  Well, that didn't work out so I was listening on the radio while driving home.  And I'm so glad because Charlie and Dave are so happy and excited about being there that I actually cried a little - which isn't good while one is driving.  I really love Charlie and Dave. 

Question - can we always hear Max grunting on the air, or has Fox just upped the mic levels?  Because we really don't need to hear that.   Fox...blech. 

• Love 1
On 10/20/2019 at 2:33 PM, kariyaki said:

Factoid I find interesting: Astros and Nationals share spring training facilities.

We visited the 'twin" facilities this past February...saw some of the players & bought souvenirs for the grandkids 🙂  

Exciting game, but if the Astros lose the Series, George Springer may be thinking for a LONG time about how he admired his near-HR so much that he only got to second instead of third, and thus couldn't score on Altuve's deep fly ball. (And it pains me to say that because I love Springer and otherwise he was so clutch tonight, but....)

• LOL 1

Never mind, article won't link.

David Ross expected to be named new Cubs manager either today or tomorrow. Because hiring a guy with literally no coaching experience who is besties with most of the team seems like a terrific idea. 🙄

Edited by Jenniferbug
Link won't link
  • Love 3

Anyone ever been to a concert where they pass out those wristbands that light up during the show? They had that at the world series last night. They were lighting up for the pre-game ceremonies and the in-between inning entertainment. It was neat, I'd never heard of using those things at sporting events, I'd only seen them used in concerts.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

David Ross expected to be named new Cubs manager either today or tomorrow. Because hiring a guy with literally no coaching experience who is besties with most of the team seems like a terrific idea. 🙄

In a a vacuum, I'd agree that no coaching experience is not a great idea. However the exception to that rule tends to be catchers/former catchers, who are way way way disproportionately prone to being good managers. I'd still probably have hired him for a different coaching job first before going straight to manager...but if you're going to throw someone into the fire, a catcher is a better choice than not-a-catcher.

• Love 8

What is going on with the Astros?  They appear to be in a collective funk.  I really like them and hope that they can make a comeback here in DC.

Anthony Rendon is Houston born and raised, and I am so happy for him to be in the World Series in his hometown. He is always kind to fans and is very well-liked in Houston and DC.

• Love 2

I really hope the Astros win at least one game because I'm going to a concert Saturday night and I'd hate to miss the last game of the season.  Poor planning on my part, I guess, but who coulda known.  

• Love 1

I am just delighted about the Nats being 2-0 and I hope they win it all against the Astros.

However, if an Astros fan happens to beat the shit out of a Nats fan for doing that stupid baby shark dance, I won't be mad.  Not at all.   

• LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Aside from the 1985 Royals and 1986 Mets, has any team won the World Series after losing their first two games at home?

I heard on the radio that it was the 1996 Yankees.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I really hope the Astros win at least one game because I'm going to a concert Saturday night and I'd hate to miss the last game of the season.  Poor planning on my part, I guess, but who coulda known.  

Last week when I was fervently hoping that the Yankees would somehow get their heads out of their asses I specifically scheduled tickets for tonight to see a stage performance of “12 Angry Men” since it was an off day for the WS.

• Love 3

From the SI article: 'The outburst was offensive and frightening enough that another Houston staffer apologized.'

So this Taubman jerk takes a dump in the middle of the room and then lets someone else clean it up. Classy. I don't have a dog in the WS fight this year and wasn't really rooting for anybody, but now it looks like I'm pulling for DC. 

• Love 9

The Nationals are playing SO loose and are so much fun to watch. They don't seem like a team in their first World Series at ALL, and I'm sure it helps that there are so many veterans on the team, who either have been there before individually or are simply enjoying still playing under the brightest lights. I love seeing grown men hug each other excitedly when good things happen! They are having a ton of fun and I really hope they finish the whole thing up at home! 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I am just delighted about the Nats being 2-0 and I hope they win it all against the Astros.

However, if an Astros fan happens to beat the shit out of a Nats fan for doing that stupid baby shark dance, I won't be mad.  Not at all.   

Nooooo...this silly baby shark stuff makes the fans feel a part of the team. Remember when fans would sing Take Me On (& really work that high section) when Mike Morse had his walk up? I think this is the first time since Mike left that fans have something really fun to do. Go Nats!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Nooooo...this silly baby shark stuff makes the fans feel a part of the team. Remember when fans would sing Take Me On (& really work that high section) when Mike Morse had his walk up? I think this is the first time since Mike left that fans have something really fun to do. Go Nats!

And if you happen to follow Mike on Twitter, he's still pretty invested in the fun and success of the Nats!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Last week when I was fervently hoping that the Yankees would somehow get their heads out of their asses I specifically scheduled tickets for tonight to see a stage performance of “12 Angry Men” since it was an off day for the WS.

Good choice - the play and the day. 

We're seeing Dave Bromberg and Bettye LaVette and they're only here on Saturday.  So here's hoping for a game on Sunday!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I loved his “phantom grand slam.”

Me too! That and his 2012 "Take On Me" stuff is what made me a fan of his. I was so thrilled when he came to the Giants in 2014, and he was instrumental in their pennant that year and also hit in the winning run of the World Series! He is a fun dude.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was half joking in my post.  However, I do think it's possible to be rooting for the Nats--which I am--but at the same time hate the stupid baby shark shit.  That's just how I feel. 

• LOL 1