Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, cleo said:

Also if Correa is going to pimp his home run and make a fuss on the field then the pitchers should be able to respond. Why should batters have all the fun?

In this situation, I understand what you mean.  I have no problem with what Eduardo Rodriguez did, because it was simply the exact same thing that Carlos Correa did but wayyyyyyyyyy quieter.

But I really disagree that batters have "all the fun".  Pitchers constantly pimp their strikeouts, they do their little walks in circles on the mound, they scream, they pump their fist, they celebrate, they run off the field while the batter is still standing there, and what do batters get to do in retaliation?  Absolutely nothing.

Whenever batters pimp their home runs, they get criticized in the media, by the sportscasters, by coaches, by their OWN coaches, by other athletes, they get beaned with 100 Mph pitches.  The sentiment seems to be that the pitchers can celebrate every single inning but the batters?  NEVER.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Atlanta was on fire tonight.  What a thrilling win for them.  They continue to not be phased by adversity. Ynoa injured at the last minute, other pitchers just step up.  That 5-2 score was making me so nervous in light of last night, but they really stepped up and put it away.

Separately, that TBS postgame show is the most irritating sports broadcast I’ve ever seen (a bold claim, I know, in light of the existence of all the “sports shouting” shows (TM 30 Rock) that exist).  I’ve always had a soft spot for Bob Costas, and this show even makes me dislike him.  I have nothing against Pedro Martinez, but they revolve the whole show around him, and that “Who’s your daddy?” segment is so, so stupid.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Seconded. I think I'll just go ahead and boycott. 

I'm starting to think this way also.  I started to think a Red Sox/Braves WS would be interesting as both teams started in Boston, and they have never played each other in the WS.  If the Astros are in it, I'm outta here.

• Love 3

So looks like the cheaters are going to beat the cheaters.

I don't really want the Braves to win a world series but if they play the cheaters I'll root for the Braves.

I will say if Atlanta goes to the World Series it's a shame Acuna can't play.

• Love 5

Four teams left. Three won titles recently through cheating. The fourth has a politically incorrect nickname and they moved to a suburb to get away from the city.

I think we might need an “America’s Team.” You know, a squad worth rooting for. I don’t think either New York team qualifies for that right now.

52 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I think we might need an “America’s Team.” You know, a squad worth rooting for. I don’t think either New York team qualifies for that right now.

My vote for that would be the Tampa Bay Rays.  They're under-appreciated, play in a wretched ballpark, have one of the lowest payrolls yet they succeed in doing well every year.  In Minnesota we were sorry when Nelson Cruz was traded to the Rays, but hoped he'd be able to win a World Series ring this year.  It was not to be, but maybe next year.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

city.

I think we might need an “America’s Team.” You know, a squad worth rooting for. I don’t

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I don’t think either New York team qualifies for that right now.

A New York team will never qualify for that for me.

(I can’t figure out how to get rid of the first quote box.)

• Love 3

Yeah I don’t get when the Dodgers cheated, but they were screwed over twice in the WS with actual cheaters. They should have lost more than four draft picks, fined way more, and the players should have been fined as well but they were given immunity for saving their own asses. Oh, and they should have lost their WS championship and been banned from the postseason for a few years. Reggie Bush lost his Heismann,  USC forfeited their championship and had a two year postseason ban because his parents let someone pay their rent. It really does show that cheaters prosper in the MLB because you can cheat and a few years later be in the WS. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

My vote for that would be the Tampa Bay Rays.  They're under-appreciated, play in a wretched ballpark, have one of the lowest payrolls yet they succeed in doing well every year.  In Minnesota we were sorry when Nelson Cruz was traded to the Rays, but hoped he'd be able to win a World Series ring this year.  It was not to be, but maybe next year.

Yeah . . . but it’s Tampa. Also, I think a victory parade would be cheaper if the team were to just visit each and every fan. It’d probably take two hours, tops.

Deadspin takes aim at the Braves.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Yeah sorry I can’t root for the Rays ever, unless they are playing the Red Sox.

I’ve always wondered why, when a batter has two home runs, he’s pitched to a third time.

Also I forgot to mention another reason why I personally hate the Dodgers is three words - Dave fucking Roberts.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, morriss said:

When are managers going to realize what a bullpen actually is?   A bunch of failed starters...🤔

Yeah but when you don’t have many starting pitchers there’s no choice but a bullpen game. There’s no way out of that.

• Love 3
On 10/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, sagittarius sue said:

I second this. I'm a franchise-long Rays fan and former season ticket holder. I could give a TED talk about things that need changing with the franchise but the team is fun to watch on the field. In Cash I Trust.

• Love 3

Why am I still sitting here watching this dumb game?  I mean, I’m rooting for Boston.  Boston, for cod’s sack!  It feels gross and wrong and is only going to end in heartache and gastric distress.

If Houston completes this game, people are going to watch the World Series in droves in the hopes that the Astros will get their asses kicked.  And Manfred will be willfully ignorant and think that the high ratings are a GOOD thing, because he is terrible.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, cleo said:

I'm dreading all the Astro redemption stories. I already saw one nauseating one about Cora.

I'm not watching Houston in the WS.

I mean.  They haven’t been redeemed from anything!  I’m tired of hearing about poor old Dusty.  I did feel sorry for him when Jeffrey Lunow went off the rails, but I’m over that.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, cleo said:

I'm dreading all the Astro redemption stories. I already saw one nauseating one about Cora.

I'm not watching Houston in the WS.

Anyone who holds themselves to the highest moral standards has no one to root for.

Astros - cheaters

Braves - Tomahawk chop, racist name

Dodgers - no issues signing Trevor Bauer, known scumbag

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I somehow totally blocked out the Astros playing in the WS in 2019 u til like an hour ago. 

So now, in the race for who can be the shittiest team, Atlanta is having anti-vaxxer Travis Tritt sing the national anthem. 

Honestly though like I've said before- scratch the surface of every team and you will find shitty behaviour somewhere. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out, but these issues are pervasive throughout the sport and among the owners themselves.

Edited by cleo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Today I enjoyed watching the MN Gophers win their 3rd game in a row, and was glad to hear the MN Wild won their 3rd in a row.  I guess I'll follow college football and pro hockey until the baseball pre-season.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Love 2

Nope can't do it. This was my worst case scenario for a match up. I have disliked the Braves since 1993 and am not stopping now so as mush as I don't want Houston to win I  want the Braves to lose more but I won't watch it.

• Love 6

I’m sad to not have a baseball game to hate-watch tonight.

EVERY single team I have rooted for this postseason has lost.  Every one.  What this means for the World Series is too horrifying to contemplate.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Today I enjoyed watching the MN Gophers win their 3rd game in a row, and was glad to hear the MN Wild won their 3rd in a row.  I guess I'll follow college football and pro hockey until the baseball pre-season.

Thanks for reminding me about that fabulous Terps game yesterday...  oy.   😉

I'll have the games on the TV - because baseball! - and guess I hope Dusty wins.  Because I can't stand Atlanta.  And I probably shouldn't have said that out loud because so far, nothing good has come from wanting a team to lose.  Sigh...

• Love 2
On 10/23/2021 at 12:06 PM, cambridgeguy said:

Anyone who holds themselves to the highest moral standards has no one to root for.

Astros - cheaters

Braves - Tomahawk chop, racist name

Dodgers - no issues signing Trevor Bauer, known scumbag

Ah yes, forgot about this.  Thank you

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

*sigh* Seems like yesterday. And it’s sad that the World Series starts later and later into October.

This! Really, as far as I'm concerned its basketball time (and for more than me, football time, but I don't follow Amurrican football, only English footie, so sue me). They need to fix this.

30 years ago today - "Touch 'em all, Kirby Puckett! Touch 'em all!" Kirby Pucket homered in the 11th inning to win game 6 of the World Series and to send the Twins on to the 7th game. And the Braves.

• Love 1