Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Minnie Minoso and Buck O’Neil are getting into the Hall so at least there’s one good thing.  Also Bud Fowler, Jim Kaat, Gil Hodges and Tony Oliva.

About time for Tony Oliva and Jim Kaat.

• Love 1

Ok sports fans...a question for you:  Why do they allow professional baseball players to catch fly balls with one (casual) hand?  Whatever happened to "use two hands!" shouted by every coach from little league on up.  I know the gloves are big, and the chance of a pro actually flubbing a fly ball is quite low.  But...as we saw in the playoffs, a Red Sox outfielder made a terrific run to chase down a fly, only to have it hit the heel of his glove and fall to the turf.  Had he used TWO hands, he would have caught it.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

David Cone is joining ESPN for Sunday Night Baseball and if this means he is leaving YES I am NOT ok with that.

Nooo!

Well, it’s not like the scheduling would be an issue.  But losing Kenny S and now Coney.  Not okay, Yes!  We’ll be stuck with Michael Kaye (who is overbearing and boring) and Paul O’Neill (who is charming but not interesting or insightful).  Sigh.

• Love 2

*sigh* SNY has been airing stuff from last year in Mets Classics. The episode running now: August 31. The game I hit. The one I bailed on before the Mets rallied.

Yep . . . I still low-key hate myself for that. 🙄

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Games from four months ago are "classics"? Looks like SNY is having a hard time coming up with programming.

A few games per year air. It’s not an act of filling time.

Bigger news: the Mets are retiring Keith Hernandez’s number this season (should it play out). I could’ve sworn #17 was worn after he left the Mets.

• Love 3

Well, at least next year Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, and Sosa won't be on the ballot, so less self righteous pontificating about that.

On the other hand, Carlos Beltran is far and away the most distinguished newcomer, so plenty of time to rehash the trash cans.

• Love 2

I would vote for Tim Lincecum, the San Francisco Giants right-hander.
Most distinctive pitching motion since the windup was invented (or since Luis Tiant pitched for the Sox)
But...Lincecum did not get enough votes to stay on the ballot.
Oh well. 

• Love 1

I felt so bad when they talked about it this morning on ESPN because they seemed to feel like replaying the audio from the A’s-Yankees game, where Giambi was sent around but tagged out, was a good way to memorialize him.

• Love 1

Did they think it was a good way to memorialize him, or did they think it was the thing most likely to prompt people to recall who he was? Still may have not been the best choice, but seemed kinda like a "if you don't think you know who this is, you might recall this?" sort of thing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

Did they think it was a good way to memorialize him, or did they think it was the thing most likely to prompt people to recall who he was? Still may have not been the best choice, but seemed kinda like a "if you don't think you know who this is, you might recall this?" sort of thing.

I think you’re right.  I think Max said something like “you might remember Jeremy from one of the most famous plays in baseball postseason history” before they played it. 

• Love 1

Cancelled my MLB TV subscription. Honestly I stopped using it as much as I did, the only reason I didn't cancel last year was laziness, and also bc it was pro rated or something across the 2 pandemic years so I gave in to the laziness. 

But it felt pretty good to cancel right now, for reasons I won't go into. 

That said, I really miss baseball. :(

• Love 4

I'll have to see if I end up subscribing to MLB TV this season - whenever it starts. Last year, they had an offer for a single team for $99 for the year, discounted to $50 the first week of the season. Then I found they offered an additional discount for military/veterans/etc. so I ended up getting it for $35~. I figured for a season of the Mets, that wasn't a bad price. I usually watched two or three games a week, but down here in Charlotte I was in the "home" region for the Braves, Nationals, Orioles, and the Reds, so I couldn't see a bunch of Met games because of MLB's ridiculous blackout rules.

• Love 5

I get it with Tmobile . they usually have a week when you can the subscription for free. I wouldn't pay for it otherwise. I understand why they have blackout but it's still annoying especially because where I live they blackout the Phillies, Yankees, and the Mets

• Love 5