Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

30 years ago today - "Touch 'em all, Kirby Puckett! Touch 'em all!" Kirby Pucket homered in the 11th inning to win game 6 of the World Series and to send the Twins on to the 7th game. And the Braves.

Lonnie @#$% Smith

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

30 years ago today - "Touch 'em all, Kirby Puckett! Touch 'em all!" Kirby Pucket homered in the 11th inning to win game 6 of the World Series and to send the Twins on to the 7th game. And the Braves.

Heh. Astros should slip that into the pre-game introductions.

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

30 years ago today - "Touch 'em all, Kirby Puckett!

Thank you for the reminder!  I'm somewhat ashamed that I needed a reminder as I was at the game as well as the other three games in Mpls.  Tomorrow will be the 30th anniversary of Jack Morris' 10 inning victory in Game 7.  Ronnie Smith's running mistake was actually in Game 7, the dramatic 8th inning.

In regards to the Braves' fans chopping and chanting we first tried booing, but that wasn't loud enough so we yelled "Let's go Twins,"  It seemed to work quite well in blocking the chants on TV.

• Love 1

Atlanta FTW.  Probably more of an emotional hedge.  There are things to like about both teams and things to dislike about both teams.  Atlanta has the pitching, the defense.  Houston has a ton of offense.  Defensively, not that great, but Atlanta's offense can do just enough to win the whole thing if the Astros can't pitch.

Somewhat surprising that Morton is pitching tonight, but mainly because it would affect his ability to be available in a possible Game 7 (where he's basically undefeated)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Thank you for the reminder!  I'm somewhat ashamed that I needed a reminder as I was at the game as well as the other three games in Mpls.  Tomorrow will be the 30th anniversary of Jack Morris' 10 inning victory in Game 7.  Ronnie Smith's running mistake was actually in Game 7, the dramatic 8th inning.

In regards to the Braves' fans chopping and chanting we first tried booing, but that wasn't loud enough so we yelled "Let's go Twins,"  It seemed to work quite well in blocking the chants on TV.

That tomahawk chop was so lame, especially when Ted Turner and Jane Fonda were doing it.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

9th inning of a relatively close World Series game and FOX was playing a comedy highlight of Smoltz from 25 years ago complete with wacky hijinks music ...

I’m not a particular Smoltz fan, but I thought that was cute (and self-effacing of Smoltz) to illustrate that every pitcher has had a face plant moment like the one that had just happened in the game. I thought it was fine:  it only took a few seconds.

I feel so bad for Charlie Morton.  What a freak accident to break his leg like that.  I was listening to a couple pro-Atlanta broadcasts/ podcasts this morning, and they made it seem like this was a complete pitching disaster for Atlanta (in having to use relievers and not having Morton for a future start).  I guess we’ll see.

I know most everyone here hates Atlanta, but like I said before, having gotten to “know” these players over the past few months, I was happy to see them play so well last night. It was an exciting win.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I know most everyone here hates Atlanta

I had stated that I wouldn't be watching the WS, but I found myself tuning in last night, and rooting for the Braves despite my 30 year dislike.  They seemed to be having a lot of fun while the Astros appeared arrogant, just liked the hated Yankees.  Besides, I like seeing former Twin Eddie Rosario doing so well.  Now if they only got rid of the chop, chant, name and logo as other teams have done.  Perhaps I can tolerate watching them if I mute the chanting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I had stated that I wouldn't be watching the WS, but I found myself tuning in last night, and rooting for the Braves despite my 30 year dislike.  They seemed to be having a lot of fun while the Astros appeared arrogant, just liked the hated Yankees.  Besides, I like seeing former Twin Eddie Rosario doing so well.  Now if they only got rid of the chop, chant, name and logo as other teams have done.  Perhaps I can tolerate watching them if I mute the chanting.

But you'd still see those arsch lochs doing their racist tomahawk chopping. Jerks.

• Love 2

Rob Manfred is such an idiot.  Like, he lives in a bubble, yeah?  And only emerges from his cave during the postseason?  Because, what, and I cannot stress this enough, the FUCK was he talking about regarding the Braves and the chop?  It’s a local issue and the league is not marketed on a nationwide basis?  What the fuck does that even mean?  Does he think that Braves games are only broadcast in Atlanta, ever?  Does he think only people in major league cities root for those teams?  Jesus Christ he’s making Roger Goodell look like Gandhi.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 11
23 hours ago, mojoween said:

Rob Manfred is such an idiot.  Like, he lives in a bubble, yeah?  And only emerges from his cave during the postseason?

Compared to Goodell, the dude is flat out loquacious. 

I don't think Manfred is an idiot, he's just doing his job. He's not the commissioner of the MLB, he's the commissioner for the owners in a cartel whose product happens to be baseball. When Cleveland announced that they were changing their name, Atlanta ownership made it clear that they would not. He's following their marching orders, even though it seems indefensible to myself and many other fans.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, xaxat said:

He's following their marching orders, even though it seems indefensible to myself and many other fans.

That's because they've made the calculation that this won't be what costs them a significant number of fans. Yes, some will raise a ruckus but will also be more than happy to cheer when their team does well while rationalizing it one way or another.  I'm supporting the players, I feel guilty but watch anyway, etc.  If circumstances change and staying the course does end up costing them cash then you bet we'll hear all sorts of talk about how it's time to move into a new era, etc.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Can't believe I'm hoping the dirty cheaters win, but I can't stand the thought of those obnoxious racist dorks, chanting & chopping, having a world series team. 

Yes, I could support Atlanta when they played in Houston, but I find myself preferring the other team in Atlanta.

Fucking hell the crowd in Atlanta could *not* moan like deranged lunatics and chant something else instead.  “Let’s go Braves” isn’t quite right, but surely someone can come up with something.  I wonder if FOX feels embarrassed when the field mics pick up the chop in all its glory; probably not, since the Murdoch family doesn’t feel shame.

• Love 5

The Braves' organist has an eclectic taste in tunes. Earlier I heard "Amazing Grace" and just now I heard the theme from MASH.

Now I think it's the theme from The Muppet Show.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

The Braves' organist has an eclectic taste in tunes. Earlier I heard "Amazing Grace" and just now I heard the theme from MASH.

Now I think it's the theme from The Muppet Show.

Right on both counts. I've also heard "It's a Small World" and what I think might have been "Delta Dawn"

• Love 1

I can't help it. I love Atlanta. I'll admit I've chopped in the past but I stopped a few seasons ago.

Lots of talk about the back to back homers which is deserved but why isn't there more focus on Rosario's catch? 

• Love 5

There is a highlight on the ESPN website for his catch so it’s out there. I didn’t watch the game but that catch saved the game. If the Braves pull it out Rosario should definitely be MVP because he’s been on fire in the playoffs.

• Love 3

Am Atlanta victory would be problematic, true, and the sound of the chop makes my teeth grind, but Houston was so unrepentantly smug and not at all sorry about what they did, that I cannot fathom one NL team that would cause me to root for the Astros, ever.

• Love 4

Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong Dodger fan, and I'm old enough to remember the '88 win. I don't post here much because there's a lot of anti-Dodger sentiment in this thread and I don't want to start arguments. I very much enjoy the tone of this topic, the rest of the time. 

So, I'm here, rooting against the Trashtros. My consolation, in '17, was that the city of Houston deserved something good in the wake of the hurricane. Also, that we beat ourselves. When I found out they cheated, my loathing of the team and especially the players still a part of it, knew no bounds. I'm Asian American, so I'll never forgive Yuli Gurriel, no matter who he plays for. Yu Darvish is a far better person than I am!

I want the Trashtros to lose another World Series, because my Boys in Blue also went to the final dance three times in five years, and we did it without cheating!! That said, I'm experiencing a lot of cognitive dissonance, pulling for the team that just beat mine. Especially in Atlanta, where that racist chop and chant are horrifying. (Though I'm finding the fans' embrace of my beloved Joc Pederson, and his pearls, quite endearing. However, If I catch Joc chopping, he's dead to me!) Having Travis Tritt sing the anthem was the final straw, in terms of sealing my contempt for Atlanta.

My final note is that my beloved Dodgers are paying the price for having signed Trevor Bauer. I'm beyond disappointed in the front office. We absolutely deserve whatever comes down from MLB. We're in this situation because we either didn't our due diligence, or–much worse–we disregarded it. Considering that this management team passed on Chapman for rumors about DV, I fear that it was failing to take Bauer's misogyny seriously enough. Also, for valuing winning over character. So we should have to eat his enormous salary, but I hope never to see him pitch in Dodger Blue, ever again!

How many days until pitchers and catchers report?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

This game sucks.  I have NO idea why I’m still watching it.

I've had ample diversion during this game, 2 hours of PBS, and periodically checking on my Vikings losing to the Cowboys.  Things are looking better, I just hope Houston holds onto their lead so that if they Braves win the WS they won't do it in Atlanta!

• Love 2

This series truly is a Sophie's Choice. I've seen parts of the games, but I find it difficult to watch any sport unless I'm rooting for somebody, for some reason - any reason - and I can't root for either of these teams. The cheaters against the chop. A really distasteful choice. 

• Love 11

I can't understand why the fans in Atlanta still do the chop.  Do they not understand that this World Series is an international showcase for ATL? 

Also why didn't the team ask the fans to stop the chop song?  Maybe the team did say something, but I missed it if they did.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Two positives if the Astros win: the racist cheater chanters will be losers *and* Dusty will get the accolades.

I don't see either of those as positives because of the much bigger negatives associated with them.  The Braves fans are gross racists, but they're not cheaters; more importantly, neither are the players.  I don't have anything against the actual players, and since the players themselves are the ones who actually win, I'd be less grossed out to see the Braves players win.  Dusty already has a WS ring, so he doesn't really need another, especially since that would mean a whole organization of actual cheaters from which he willingly took a job would get another.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I don't see either of those as positives because of the much bigger negatives associated with them.  The Braves fans are gross racists, but they're not cheaters; more importantly, neither are the players.  I don't have anything against the actual players, and since the players themselves are the ones who actually win, I'd be less grossed out to see the Braves players win.  Dusty already has a WS ring, so he doesn't really need another, especially since that would mean a whole organization of actual cheaters from which he willingly took a job would get another.

He has one as a player but not as a manager.  

On 10/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, annzeepark914 said:

But you'd still see those arsch lochs doing their racist tomahawk chopping. Jerks

Just curious if you feel the same way about the Kansas City Chiefs fans and FSU fans.  They all do the chop too. 

38 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Just curious if you feel the same way about the Kansas City Chiefs fans and FSU fans.  They all do the chop too. 

Yup. I loathe the chant & the chop, no matter who is doing it. I'm not Native American but I still find it offensive & racist.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Yes, if I saw them doing it.  With the Braves' fans it's the chanting that I find most offensive.

The Chiefs fans doing it last night made my skin crawl. But I already loathe them, you know, division rivals and all that. 😁

• Love 3
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

But I already loathe them, you know, division rivals and all that. 😁

The Vikings greatest rival is the Green Bay Packers, but I love the fact that they're community-owned, and no profit-seeking private owner will ever move them away from Green Bay!

• Love 4