Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I think the Jays are pretty much out of the playoffs. Or maybe I'm calling it too early but it seems unlikely. It was fun while it lasted. I have no beef with the Yankees, we blew it and they deserved to take that series. 

I read about Bronxie. Cute. Is someone designated to take care of him? 

All I care about now is someone destroying that team from Florida and I don't care who lol. I will get on the bandwagon of whoever does it!

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, cleo said:

I think the Jays are pretty much out of the playoffs. Or maybe I'm calling it too early but it seems unlikely. It was fun while it lasted. I have no beef with the Yankees, we blew it and they deserved to take that series. 

Everything you're saying is correct But thanks, I hate it!

5 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Is Kenny Singleton - "He's such a nice guy" - resigning on the air??

12 minutes ago, smittykins said:

He announced he’s retiring after tomorrow’s game. 😟

I’m so sad.  He said he was retiring before, but then came back for two more years.  I guess he means it for realsies this time and I am so bummed about it.  I mean, he could just tell stories about Earl Weaver for three hours and it would be scintillating TV.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m so sad.  He said he was retiring before, but then came back for two more years.  I guess he means it for realsies this time and I am so bummed about it.  I mean, he could just tell stories about Earl Weaver for three hours and it would be scintillating TV.

I'd listen to that.

He worked at the station my sister worked at after he retired here.  And really, that's what everyone said about him - it's like his name is Kenny "He's such a nice guy" Singleton.  I hardly ever watch Yankee games, but it's what was on at the time and I was doing some work (work sucks at the moment) and heard him out of the corner of my ear answering Michael's question about his last game being tomorrow with "no, forever."  So I stopped working and listened.  

He's such a nice guy... 

• Love 1

I feel like this wild card race has been more interesting than the last 2 World Series.

I just realized I have two laptops, a TV, and a phone, and could stream Yankees, Jays, Red Sox, and Mariner games simultaneously, one on each device 

But I probably won't. That would be crazy, right? 

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I just spent three minutes looking for a broadcast game.

I totally forgot about the simultaneous starts on game 162.

I turned on YES at one o’clock and totally panicked that the game wasn’t there and it wasn’t ANYWHERE.  Then I saw the cable guide and mentally slapped myself for being so dramatic.

Also totally normal is having a stomachache because I am so nervous about the outcome of this game.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

New York sports: (Football) Giants win in OT. Jets win in OT. Yankees walk off to clinch a wild card berth. Mets’ season ends without fanfare with a loss to the Cobb County Crackers.

I heard the Mets might blow things up during the off-season. I’m detached for the most part, so I’m asking the hardier fans how bad could it be.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

New York sports: (Football) Giants win in OT. Jets win in OT. Yankees walk off to clinch a wild card berth. Mets’ season ends without fanfare with a loss to the Cobb County Crackers.

I heard the Mets might blow things up during the off-season. I’m detached for the most part, so I’m asking the hardier fans how bad could it be.

I see my team get blown up almost every fucking year. It always sucks to see the young talent leave because my team is too cheap to re-up to keep them. 

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I see my team get blown up almost every fucking year. It always sucks to see the young talent leave because my team is too cheap to re-up to keep them. 

What is your team? Also, I’m hearing that Thor, Comforto and the manager might be on their way out. And there’s Baez, who’s probably going to another NL East team and spend the rest of his career punishing the Mets.

Edited by Lantern7

Guys, I am devastated.  😭  😭   😭   😭   😭   😭 

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Toronto making it, and Boston staying home, would have been the ideal outcome, even with the Blue Jays spanking the Yanks around a bit last week.

I appreciate the thoughts.  I really can't believe our season is over.  I really can't believe it.  The Jays could not have played any better this past weekend but in the end it didn't really matter.

Congrats to the teams & fanbases that made it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I appreciate the thoughts.  I really can't believe our season is over.  I really can't believe it.  The Jays could not have played any better this past weekend but in the end it didn't really matter.

I didn’t follow other teams closely this year (I’m a Yankees fan), but every time we played the Jays and I saw the quality of their devastating young lineup and their starting pitching, I wondered: how are these guys not leading the division, or at least fighting it out with the Rays?

So, Ms Blue Jay, what was the deal with them?  Bullpen issues?  Something else?

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Yankees vs. Red Sox, Fenway Park, loser goes home in one-game series.

So . . . which Yankee is considered the least likely to hit a home run?

Velazquez?  

Returning to the subject of Ken Singleton: not only is he clearly a lovely, lovely man, but he was the best prepared, most interesting (tied with Cone) of all the Yankee broadcasters.  Despite his age and long broadcasting career, you never felt like he was phoning it in with stories or observations you had heard before ad infinitum.  His comments were almost always fresh.  His engagement with the game was always powerful.  Long story short: he was a fantastic broadcaster, and he will be missed terribly.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

I didn’t follow other teams closely this year (I’m a Yankees fan), but every time we played the Jays and I saw the quality of their devastating young lineup and their starting pitching, I wondered: how are these guys not leading the division, or at least fighting it out with the Rays?

So, Ms Blue Jay, what was the deal with them?  Bullpen issues?  Something else?

Sighh............  we lost so many games we should have won.  The Jays are extremely streaky.

Did you know that the Jays had 3 "Home" bases this year because of COVID and the strict regulations between Canada and the US?

First home was Dunedin, Florida.  Second home was Buffalo.  Finally, starting at the end of July, they came home to Toronto.

The Jays were booed when they played in Buffalo.  LOL.  They were booed and heckled on their home turf.  

Honestly though, that's not really an excuse and no player provided it as one.  They still played great at those parks.

It's really just a matter of losing games they should have won.  

When the team returned to Toronto you could tell they were invigorated and they were playing amazingly well.  They won 12 out of 14 or something.  Then they went on the road and when they came back they lost a bunch of games.  I have no idea why.  

The bullpen is okay.  Doing a lot better now than they were earlier in the season.  The hitting is fantastic.  Vladdy went through a a slump but came back spectacularly.  Springer got injured when he was playing fantastically, then Gurriel Jr.

I'm not really a good baseball analyst but there are games where there was just no hitting, or games where the bullpen imploded, and that's about it!  Ryu is actually supposed to be our ace pitcher, but he kind of imploded towards the end of the season.  Robbie Ray ended up being the best pitcher and the team hopes he wins the Cy Young.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sighh............  we lost so many games we should have won.  The Jays are extremely streaky.

Did you know that the Jays had 3 "Home" bases this year because of COVID and the strict regulations between Canada and the US?

First home was Dunedin, Florida.  Second home was Buffalo.  Finally, starting at the end of July, they came home to Toronto.

The Jays were booed when they played in Buffalo.  LOL.  They were booed and heckled on their home turf.  

Honestly though, that's not really an excuse and no player provided it as one.  They still played great at those parks.

It's really just a matter of losing games they should have won.  

When the team returned to Toronto you could tell they were invigorated and they were playing amazingly well.  They won 12 out of 14 or something.  Then they went on the road and when they came back they lost a bunch of games.  I have no idea why.  

The bullpen is okay.  Doing a lot better now than they were earlier in the season.  The hitting is fantastic.  Vladdy went through a bit of a slump but came back spectacularly.  Springer got injured when he was playing fantastically, then Gurriel Jr.

I'm not really a good baseball analyst but there are games where there was just no hitting, or games where the bullpen imploded, and that's about it!

You know what’s weird?  Your description could be used word-for-word to describe the Yankees this season.  HOWEVER, I have a feeling your team was almost always enjoyable to watch.  Even the general manager conceded that the Yankees were often unwatchable this year.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

You know what’s weird?  Your description could be used word-for-word to describe the Yankees this season.  HOWEVER, I have a feeling your team was almost always enjoyable to watch.  Even the general manager conceded that the Yankees were often unwatchable this year.

That's so kind.  Vladdy is just so lovable.  I went to see his first game with my brother in 2019.  We stood up and cheered for him every single time he went to to the plate.  The team has a great vibe.  The young ones all act like brothers and the "older ones" (LOL Teoscar is like 27) all get along with them too.  

What's devastating to me is that Marcus Semien (the second best hitter on the team) and Robbie Ray are free agents next year.  I already kind of feel like crying about it!

Jays had no pitching early in the season. And by early I mean up until around July lol. I lost track of the number of blown saves but it was a lot.

I also think the impact of having to move three times and having no real home stadium for most of the season cannot be overstated. I was the only Canadian in the country I think that disagreed with the decision to boot them out last yr lol. 

I even offered to ship out my family to balance it out but no go. 🤣

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cleo said:

I also think the impact of having to move three times and having no real home stadium for most of the season cannot be overstated. 

Did you see Joe Siddall crying about it on the broadcast after the game?  It was really moving and sad!

• Love 1

Looking at this year’s playoff teams, they are a huge pile of “meh” to me.  There is no AL team that I want to win.  The only NL team that I can give even a little “yay” to is the Brewers and it is a very tiny “yay”.

If forced to pick, I would stick with my Midwestern loyalty and hope for a Chicago-Milwaukee WS and hope to see snow. (There, not here in Michigan. Don’t want snow that early here!)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Velazquez?  

Returning to the subject of Ken Singleton: not only is he clearly a lovely, lovely man, but he was the best prepared, most interesting (tied with Cone) of all the Yankee broadcasters.  Despite his age and long broadcasting career, you never felt like he was phoning it in with stories or observations you had heard before ad infinitum.  His comments were almost always fresh.  His engagement with the game was always powerful.  Long story short: he was a fantastic broadcaster, and he will be missed terribly.

I was surprised learning that he’s 74.(I shouldn’t be, but…)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Much, much respect to the Blue Jays from this long-time-lurker-first-time-poster Rays fan. While I think whoever we meet in the ALDS will play tough, the Jays are the only team that I didn't want to face.  I'm a big Charlie Montoya fan and he's done a heck of a job with the team -- Jays will be a force for a while.  

And now this lone little franchise-long Rays aficionado will go back to lurking. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, janeyjay said:

Much, much respect to the Blue Jays from this long-time-lurker-first-time-poster Rays fan. While I think whoever we meet in the ALDS will play tough, the Jays are the only team that I didn't want to face.  I'm a big Charlie Montoya fan and he's done a heck of a job with the team -- Jays will be a force for a while.  

And now this lone little franchise-long Rays aficionado will go back to lurking. 

Ugh, I wish I could give you a better icon than just the heart icon for this!  That's amazing, thank you!

I like Charlie too!  That opinion does not seem to be popular on Jays Twitter.  But you know how negative social media can be.  I have to say I like him so much more than John Gibbons.

Congrats to the Rays for being the best team in our division and definitely one of the best teams in the league.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

@janeyjay how do you feel about them potentially going to Montreal?

The current rumour I read was Montreal full time only in the NL. Except that would mean an additional team in the AL or some realignment to balance it . 2027. But that was a rumour albeit one reported by one sports writer or another. I can't recall who.

I'm curious how Rogers will handle the broadcasting- or if a competitor would pick up the rights. 

@Moose135 I was sorry the Mets didn't do better. I would have gotten on the band wagon 

ETA I wouid prefer the Rays stay in Florida myself but it really looks like they're planning to move them.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, cleo said:

@janeyjay how do you feel about them potentially going to Montreal?

I am very very very angry about this prospect and my fellow Rays fans and I pretty much hate our owner. Frankly, I wish he'd sell the team and go the @#*^% away. A sign touting the Montreal situation was going to be up in the Trop during the playoffs and public outcry was so intense, with the majority of voices vehemently opposed to this that the front office backed down. No sign. While I'm no longer a season ticket holder, I go to a good number of games a year and that nonsense is just a slap in the face to franchise-long supporters like myself and my family. I could give a whole TED talk about this, but I'll stop now.

• Love 3

Yeah I'm sorry that really sucks. It seems like such a shame bc they're doing so well.

If it were up to me I would give Montreal the Marlins lol. Let them start from scratch. I was born in Toronto so Montreal can suck it heh.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, janeyjay said:

I am very very very angry about this prospect and my fellow Rays fans and I pretty much hate our owner. Frankly, I wish he'd sell the team and go the @#*^% away. A sign touting the Montreal situation was going to be up in the Trop during the playoffs and public outcry was so intense, with the majority of voices vehemently opposed to this that the front office backed down. No sign. While I'm no longer a season ticket holder, I go to a good number of games a year and that nonsense is just a slap in the face to franchise-long supporters like myself and my family. I could give a whole TED talk about this, but I'll stop now.

It must be so difficult loving a franchise that is so impressive in so many ways, but that hasn’t been able to find true popularity.   The Rays are effing AMAZING how through intelligence, judgement and real baseball knowledge they put together superb teams.  I admire them more than I can say, and will be supporting them once the Yankees are out.  

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 2