Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Every Mets fan knew that would happen. Every time they trade for a splashy player, the previously-fine-but-not-amazing player they got rid of has a career year, and the superstar they got underperforms.

Yes, I meant the Indians fans probably didn't see that coming. I sure didn't.

In other news...*SIGH*

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/john-smoltz-al-leiter-mlb-network-studios-vaccine-refusal-023024986.html

1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I think Frankie may be wishing he'd stayed here in Cleveland. 😂 Honestly, when the trade happened in January, who would have guessed that Amed Rosario would be having the better year? 

He'll get better. The Mets have two basic modes: "Everything is Awesome" and "Oh, Look, All The Engines Just Popped Off The Plane." I will admit cringing seeing him on the cover of Sports Illustrated, proclaiming he was bringing the fun back to baseball. Just felt like tempting fate, y'know?

36 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Dammit, Al. What the fuck?!?

• Love 1
On 8/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, twoods said:

I hate fans booing so I am siding with the Mets players. Be douchebags to the douchebags all you want.

Ohtani stealing home. He is unreal right now. Too bad he’s not playing for a contending team.

Yes and yes!

I feel the same about Vladdy on the Blue Jays.  He's kind of slumping now, but when he was on, holy shit!

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

but they’re beating the Marlins and Nationals.”

You have to beat up on the bottom teams - those games count just the same as one against the Braves or Dodgers. Let's get into the playoffs and see what happens.

• Love 8

It's really irritating me the Blue Jays are letting Springer play and he is clearly fucking injured. The dude can't run. He is increasingly in pain just swinging the bat. I thought after yesterday's game they would bench him but nope!

I just don't enjoy watching a guy physically deteriorate more and more by the hour. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, cleo said:

It's really irritating me the Blue Jays are letting Springer play and he is clearly fucking injured. The dude can't run. He is increasingly in pain just swinging the bat. I thought after yesterday's game they would bench him but nope!

I just don't enjoy watching a guy physically deteriorate more and more by the hour. 

I was just saying that we could have kept Devon Travis instead of paying $150 million for this.  He's always injured.

8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Yankees have given me nothing but heartache and misery this week, and Jeter was never my favorite player, so a Hall of Fame induction in this crappy, rainy weather makes my coal heart sing.

They moved induction to a weekday. I don’t get that. Don’t the other major Halls have ceremonies on the weekend?

23 hours ago, morriss said:

Is there any player in any sport that is worth 25 million dollars a year?  No.

There absolutely are if that player is the difference between a deep playoff run and playing out the string.  It's less likely in baseball since having the best player doesn't mean a thing (see the Angels) but in a sport like basketball a Lebron is the difference between 10 million dollars from a home playoff game and a big fat zero because you finished in the cellar.

• Love 4

If anything, I think most athletes are underpaid, but Springer so far has been a bust.  Was he always frequently injured before joining the Jays?

Troy Tulowitzki was like this when he joined the Jays too.  

Maybe our trainers are partly to blame.  I don't know.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Well one issue is they never allowed Springer to heal properly imo and I know from experience if you rush an injury it just doubles the recovery time, and every time you rush it back it prolongs the recovery even further.

So for  myself I'm not judging him yet, it's a long deal and this yr has not been normal for the Jays by any stretch of the imagination.

But I would expect better next yr for sure.

But just my opinions.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Springer so far has been a bust.  Was he always frequently injured before joining the Jays?

I was curious, so I went and had a look at his transaction history. Looks like, yes? Maybe? Most of these are out of his control like his current knee sprain. Sprain thumb, that’s likely from a slide. Fractured wrist is likely from a hit by pitch. Concussion, ditto — or some sort of collision. Although, honestly, it doesn’t look like he was really too injury prone because he wasn’t actually on the IL for long for most of these. Fractured wrist is what he was out the longest for.

637E4F45-41DB-4275-9BB7-1CA7EF03851C.thumb.png.09f6846b19454d07401c5b43fca2ee22.png

Edited by DMK
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DMK said:

I was curious, so I went and had a look at his transaction history. Looks like, yes? Maybe? Most of these are out of his control like his current knee sprain. Sprain thumb, that’s likely from a slide. Fractured wrist is likely from a hit by pitch. Concussion, ditto — or some sort of collision. Although, honestly, it doesn’t look like he was really too injury prone because he wasn’t actually on the IL for long for most of these. Fractured wrist is what he was out the longest for.

Thank you!  I appreciate this.

Sweep?  Never heard of it.

My DVR seems to think I want to watch all the 30 for 30’s, but “Once Upon a Time in Queens?”  Sign me up.

The 86 Mets were my first team, Bob Ojeda was my very first baseball boyfriend (I was 12, that’s creepy) and my current Amazin’ Cat isn’t named Mookie Wilson for nothing.  Hopefully when I watch the series, it will be on the back of my current team not throwing up all over themselves for one damn minute.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1

Is this the first anniversary game that the Mets have played in first responder caps (which are actually officially licensed MLB New Era caps that happen  to feature FR logos)?

I know they have asked several times since 2001, but don't know if they have been given permission to do it. (The 2001 team didn't ask for permission. The just decided they were going to do it.)

Taijuan, digging a hole early for his team . . . 🤦‍♂️

Thinking about it . . . could Piazza’s home run on 9/21 be considered the greatest in Mets’ history? They’ve four three walkoffs in the postseason (including Todd Pratt ending the NLDS in ‘99), there’s Wilmer’s season-shifting walkoff, but Mike’s homer in the eighth that night might top them all.

Oh, look. Walker just gave up a third homer in the second inning. Lone rep for the ASG, everyone! 🙄

. . .  aaaaaaaaaand once again, the Mets manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I actually had hope when Chapman came in relief and the Mets had the tying run on second base. Shows me to have hope.

I'm going to say that the assholes running onto the field were Yankees fans. Please allow me that.

And I was too hard on Taijuan . . . kept the Mets in the game so they could mount a comeback.

• Love 1

Nobody else gets to complain about losing games late today (okay, yesterday) except me.  The Worst Team in the Majors blew both games of a doubleheader after leading in both games until the top of the 7th (ugh).  Both games.  And in game 2, we were winning 1-0 and ended up losing 11-2.

My team wins(!) the day.  So there! 

You all can take up complaining about late losses again tomorrow. 

• Useful 1

@ebk57 I'm sorry! If it helps I'll be rooting for the Os down the stretch in some of their other series. 

ETA I keep saying I'm going to stop watching baseball and I keep watching baseball lol. I literally have done nothing all weekend but watch baseball and do jigsaw puzzles while watching baseball.

But today I might switch to see the Soxes play.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I literally have done nothing all weekend but watch baseball and do jigsaw puzzles while watching baseball.

Heh, I read trashy romance novels while I watch baseball AND do a scorecard. I’m a weird multitasker.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, cleo said:

I literally have done nothing all weekend but watch baseball and do jigsaw puzzles while watching baseball.

Throw in reading on a Kindle and we had the same weekend.  If you have two orange cats that help with the puzzle building it would be scarily identical.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

If I’m not doing housework I always read during games.  (Or post here, but that goes without saying, heh)

Ok so I have a recording conflict at 9 so I really need the deets on Aaron Judge’s eye situation stat please and thank you.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, cleo said:

@DMK that's impressive. I couldn't do a score card 

My dad taught me, it’s a fun, nerdy way to enjoy baseball. I like that you can read a scorecard and see what happened for the entire game.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I really need the deets on Aaron Judge’s eye situation stat please and thank you.

Judge was pulled from the game for being “dizzy.” 

Edited by DMK