Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I can go either way on this.  It's nice to give the ball to a kid if you don't want it.  But sometimes, you want the ball you bothered to catch, especially if it's from a favorite player, or you've had those seats forever and this is the first time a ball has come your way, or any other little thing.  No need to boo someone.  But it's nice to cheer someone if they want to gift it to a child.  

I mean unless they knocked the kid over to get it...  

A personal anecdote from the dreaded Yankee Stadium.... way back in some year that I've forgotten, we got seats to a playoff game, Yanks vs Indians.  We were sitting way in the upper deck over right field (?), a few rows above the aisle that separates the first few rows from the (not) really cheap seats.  Jim Thome hit a grand slam and a kid in the last row of the lower seats caught the ball.  And everyone yelled at him to throw it back.  And they kept yelling.  Until the cops had to stand in the aisle behind the kid for protections.  The poor kid just caught a baseball, give him a break. Some people... 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Years ago, I was at a Long Island Ducks minor league game. Stadium has one main seating area, then an upper deck for luxury suites with outdoor seating. Late in the game, a foul ball went into the seating area of an empty suite. A guy hopped over the railing from his suite to grab it while a kid hopped over the railing from the suite on the other side of the empty suite. The guy got to it first and was going to keep the ball, but the crowd booed him mercilessly until he gave it to the kid. Then he pointed back to his suite at his own son, who he was going to give the ball to. The first kid ended up going over and giving it to the guy's son.

• Love 6

I'm sure the Cubs and Reds fans are going to have a grand ol’ time, but MLB replicating the Field of Dreams every year feels like it’s going to lose its luster, and fast.  It really felt like a one time thing.

That’s an interesting point about foul balls…when an adult beats out a kid, the adult could be getting it for a kid at home.  Or keeping it for themselves because adults like fun stuff too, heh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

Idea for Field of Dreams game: heated baseballs. One of those gets smacked into the cornfield, maybe we’d get popcorn. Forgive me for mixing baseball movies . . . but if we can’t get a batter to hit a walk-off home run into the lights, free popcorn might be the next best thing.

• LOL 6

I think when an adult basically dives over/outruns/etc to get a ball that was going toward a kid in order to get it instead, that's poor form. However if I were said kid, I wouldn't want the adult to give me the ball. Part of the joy of the experience is "I caught this", so the adult would have already ruined it by making the grab. If the ball were always headed toward the adult, and the kid just happened to be nearby, but not in catching distance, likewise I'd find it extremely condescending for an adult to either decide to or be harangued into giving me the ball instead of keeping it. 

The way I think of it is we're all baseball fans here in the stadium and it's probably been anyone's daydream at any point, when you were a kid or if you're still a kid, to catch a foul ball or HR. (maybe not literally everyone, but enough that it's logical to take as a given) So regardless of the ages of the participants, don't dive over someone or grab it out from in front of them, etc. If someone's there with no glove and clearing hiding their face or not at all paying attention to one coming their way, yeah catch it if you can; that's a safety issue. But otherwise, if it's coming right at someone, that's their good luck, not your opportunity to literally jump in their face.

• Love 8

How did that pitcher from Oakland not die?  They said the line drive that hit him in the head came off the bat at 100 miles per hour.

At least the news on his condition is encouraging and hopefully he makes a full recovery.

• Love 4

E-mailed the Mets about the game I’ll be attending. Because it’s a continuation of a suspended game, it’ll go nine innings, while the evening game goes seven. That means more Mets action for me . . . though with the way they’re plummeting, that might not be a good thing.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

How did that pitcher from Oakland not die?  They said the line drive that hit him in the head came off the bat at 100 miles per hour.

At least the news on his condition is encouraging and hopefully he makes a full recovery.

He has fractures and will require surgery. Thankfully, his vision is okay; the orbital bone was spared.

He was the heart and soul of the clubhouse. It's a pivotal time for the team. I hope the team can continue to play well and make the playoffs. We'll see.

Go A's!

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I will admit I was only partially listening, and had no idea who he was talking about, but I thought he was doing an Elmer Fudd impersonation.   I then heard his on-air apology and had to guess that was what he was apologizing for; then when I heard him mention Asian fans, I figured Ohtani must have been at-bat.  But, he has had a rep for being kind of a jerk, so I wonder if this was not his first problematic issue.

Selfishly, I hope they don’t replace him with more Kirk Gibson.  I can’t stand him as an announcer.  Give Morris’s remaining slots to Craig Monroe.  

Regarding the Trevor Bauer issue - I didn’t know they did hearings for restraining orders.  I thought it was a matter of filling out forms and submitting them to the court.  I certainly don’t think it is appropriate for a lawyer to cross-examine the victim.  I guess I can see the need for a judge to talk to the applicant in person, but to force them to be in court with the person they are worried about/scared of seems cruel and unnecessary.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He has fractures and will require surgery. Thankfully, his vision is okay; the orbital bone was spared.

So glad he's recovering. Between him and Zombro, this has been a scary season for injuries.

As a Padres fan, I just have to laugh and weep over the last week (well, two months). Barely clinging to the 2nd WC, and losing a series to the Diamondbacks, then getting swept by the Rockies AND having basically 1.5 functioning starters left due to underperformance and injuries, AND having Arrieta, our temporary new starter leave with an injury after his first outing...I just wonder who the new manager will be next year.

• Love 2

The judge's comments were disgusting. I mean Bauer has admitted he knocked her out and assaulted her while she was unconscious. His legal team did not deny those events.

I'm not surprised though, sadly. And I have no faith in criminal charges being laid or in MLB's response. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cleo said:

The judge's comments were disgusting. I mean Bauer has admitted he knocked her out and assaulted her while she was unconscious. His legal team did not deny those events.

I'm not surprised though, sadly. And I have no faith in criminal charges being laid or in MLB's response. 

Yeah, I feel the same way as you and @emmawoodhouse. I wanted to cool down a bit before commenting. This summer has seen the release of Bill Cosby from prison on a technicality, and now this. There is no justice, especially for female victims. It sucks!!! 😡😡😡😡😡

• Love 9

Everyone commiserating about their teams - let me join in.  Now that George Springer has sprained his knee, I really have no hope for the Jays' remaining season.  My favourite Teoscar Hernandez is playing like a billion bucks, but alas.... this is not our year.

2 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

The Nats have won 4 games total in August.

FOUR.

Two against the Jays.  LOL!  You're welcome!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Yeah, I feel the same way as you and @emmawoodhouse. I wanted to cool down a bit before commenting. This summer has seen the release of Bill Cosby from prison on a technicality, and now this. There is no justice, especially for female victims. It sucks!!! 😡😡😡😡😡

And the judge is a woman Democrat.  It was shocking reading her comments.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

With the Orioles' loss, we now have fifteen game losing streaks in the MLB, NHL (Sabres), NBA (Rockets) and the NFL (Jags) in a year's span.

I'm so happy we could contribute something...useful.  

• LOL 2
39 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

My team is desperate for starters. I thank my lucky stars that Bauer comes with a huge price tag, even reduced as it will certainly be after he leaves LA and becomes a free agent. 

Same here. The Indians' starting staff was decimated by injuries early on this season. Still, I don’t think the Indians regret their decision to trade him back in 2019. He came with so much baggage, even then.

• Love 3

That was a pretty cool moment. A kid not just from NYC, but from the Bronx, hits his first home run in front of his family in Yankee Stadium. His smile circling the bases was wide.

• Love 6

Apparently they had already made the decision yesterday to move today’s game, but I still like my idea better.

So the cat on the field was a pretty good omen for the Yanks with a blip here or there since then…but it was DISASTROUS for the Orioles.  Sorry ebk.

• LOL 2
16 hours ago, xaxat said:

That was a pretty cool moment. A kid not just from NYC, but from the Bronx, hits his first home run in front of his family in Yankee Stadium. His smile circling the bases was wide.

Dammit, I hate heartwarming Yankees stories, especially at the Twins' expense:

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Yeah I was sorry for his sake he didn't hit it in Detroit, but I was happy the crowd was a good sport about it and gave him a standing ovation.

Other than that fuck AJ Hinch. Unrelated, lol, just Hinch is on my TV. 

• Love 3
On 8/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, Mittengirl said:

Miguel Cabrera just hit #500 in Toronto in front of no more than 15000 fans.  I wonder how many will say they were there.  It is a shame that it couldn’t have been in front of the home crowd.

It's only 15000 (instead of 45000 or more) because of COVID protocols.  The Jays fans have been waiting 2 years to see the team in person, but (thank goodness) there are space protocols minimizing the attendance.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3