Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Gotta go to bed. Why did ESPN have to start the game at 8? The game is tied, and there's nothing as ugly as Yankees fans getting uppity in the stands at the Citi Field. Which is the Mets' home.

I’m guessing to try to avoid traffic snarls after the US Open, which started around four-ish.  I feel your pain, I get up at 4:50 a.m. and am sticking this bad boy out to the very end.

I love Giancarlo Stanton.  Love. Him.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Gotta go to bed. Why did ESPN have to start the game at 8? The game is tied, and there's nothing as ugly as Yankees fans getting uppity in the stands at the Citi Field. Which is the Mets' home.

Yankee fans get uppity in stadiums across the country. So annoying. I hate front-runner fans. 

• Love 4

I (very foolishly, apparently) did not check the schedule because I thought for sure today would be an off day.  However, I just received an alert for the lineup card, which means the game starts at one.

Nice scheduling, MLB, to schedule a night game and then a day game.  I have very low expectations for this team to be ready to play less than 13 hours from a heartbreaking end.

I'm a Jays fan but for the record I don't give a fuck who wins MVP. If Ohtani wins it great. It seems to me like a participation trophy for a team that never makes the post season. But good for him I guess.

As for Vlad and the Jays- triple crown is a huge accomplishment (if he gets it). Regardless of an award. And I would hope overall they have more on their minds with trying to make the playoffs and do well in the playoffs which is no guarantee. 

I'm just tired of the media hyping up this Ohtani/Vlad competition.  Like whatever man.

As a Toronto sports fan I'm used to super pessimism lol (yes we had the Raps but we also have the Leafs so....yeah). I'm just enjoying the games right now for what they are.

• Love 2

I’m recording 30 For 30: but I’m not watching. With the current Mets trying to rush into the postseason,  the timing is bad. “Hey, here’s the greatest Mets team of all time! They probably could’ve run the Majors, but booze! Cocaine! And unruly hedge clippers!!!”

That stuff always shadows the Mets. Here’s an article from Deadspin after Lindor’s performance on Sunday. One paragraph:

Lindor has had his production and injury issues in his first summer in Queens, and first impressions in New York can be awfully hard to overcome. It’s not like anyone in the Tri-State area thinks anything that happened in Cleveland counts. But three home runs to beat the Yankees on Sunday night, and doing so while putting a thumb in the eye of the Yanks, makes for a long-lasting Mets memory. Do Mets earn their pinstripes, too? What are the qualifications for that? Do you just have to take out your wang in the bullpen like David Cone allegedly did or take down a pile of coke to get your Mets pinstripes? Seems apt.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Also, the local CW affiliate is running the Cards/Mets game, pre-emptying my preferred two-hour DC Comics geek block.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

@ebk57 Could you scootch over to the ballpark real quick and politely ask the guy behind home plate to shut his big fat mouth?  Thanks bunches!

If he's still there on Thursday, I'll go over and smack him with the umbrella I'm picking up before the game (along with a few 'heads.  I got the umbrella because I had extra season ticket "points" and they ran out of 'heads that I want, but if it comes in handy... )

• LOL 8

I’ve watched the first hour of 30 for 30.  Gary Carter was my favorite player on that team, and I hate remembering how much his teammates seem to have disliked him when you know it’s really because he wasn’t scoring drugs with them.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, cleo said:

If Ohtani wins it great. It seems to me like a participation trophy for a team that never makes the post season. 

I mean.  If Shohei were not on the team, the Angels would be just as bad.  If Vladdy left Toronto?  They would not be in the position they are now.

Guerrero is way more valuable to his team than Ohtani is to his.  That’s what MVP means to me, anyways.

If A-Rod didn’t play for Texas, they still would have been in last place.  🤷‍♀️

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean.  If Shohei were not on the team, the Angels would be just as bad.  If Vladdy left Toronto?  They would not be in the position they are now.

Guerrero is way more valuable to his team than Ohtani is to his.  That’s what MVP means to me, anyways.

I agree on what the concept of MVP should be: where would the team be without that player? And Toronto wouldn’t be where they are without Vlad. But….

The Angels wouldn’t be just as bad without Ohtani. They’re a slightly under 500 team. Without Ohtani, they’d be down in the bottom of the barrel along with the Rangers and Orioles. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I didn't realize how frequently they were involved in fisticuffs. I miss good old fashioned baseball brawls. 😁

Has a record been established? The Mets had four in ‘86; five if you count the fight in the Houston bar.

• LOL 5

The purpose of the runner’s interference rule is that the batter is out if they put down a bunt and the catcher or pitcher or whatever can’t make the throw to first because he’s running inside the baseline. That call on Hill, though, was bullshit because it happened AT first, which is inside the baseline, so he had to be there at that point. Honestly, I don’t know why they haven’t done a first base like they do in softball that extends over the baseline.

• Love 2

The Jays' former MVP, Josh Donaldson, is back in town and gave a little talk on why Vladdy should win MVP.  I think he might win 😳

46 home runs at 22 years old (so far).  It's totally ridiculous.

Of course. Shohei is an insanely good player too.  I don't even possibly know enough about that.  I am sure he's likely the best player in the league but I don't know if this will translate to MVP.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

One discussion re Ohtani that stays with me- this was sports radio, I don't know who they were talking to- maybe Passan but I couldn't swear by that.

Q- so if Ohtani should win MVP bc he is doing something so unusual- pitching and hitting- does that mean he should should MVP for the next 5-7 yrs of his career, assuming he is still doing both reasonably well?

A- yes

Which seems kind of absurd to me. But I'm still not really worked up about awards, of course I prefer Vladdy but I'm biased. I also care more about team winning.

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, cleo said:

Q- so if Ohtani should win MVP bc he is doing something so unusual- pitching and hitting- does that mean he should should MVP for the next 5-7 yrs of his career, assuming he is still doing both reasonably well?

A- yes

Which seems kind of absurd to me.

Yeah it doesn't seem realistic does it!

It's a really great year for baseball and no matter who wins it they will have deserved it and more.

• Love 2

Last game of the season today (of our ticket plan).  The weather is perfect!  The team...not so much.

Yeah, I renewed our tickets for next season.  It's all about the company and the beer.  Or something.

• Love 6

Mets are out of the postseason, and they’d need to win every remaining game to finish at .500. Basically, this is the opposite of the end of 2019. This time, they peaked too soon instead of too late.

Should I hope that Javy Baez would forgive the fans and stay in New York? Given their history, I doubt it. 🙄

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I can understand punching a wall in anger.  But celebrating?  That I do not get.

(a Brewer broke his hand when he punched a wall celebrating Saturday and needs surgery)

Alcohol often causes stupidity.  When will they learn that walls are undefeated?  Williams tried to throw yesterday and only then realized it was a serious injury; he immediately told the team about it and how it happened.  He apologized to the team privately and spoke publicly about how awful he felt about letting the team, the coaching staff, and the fans down.  I'm a Brewers fan, so I really hope he's not done any permanent damage to his hand.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/26/2021 at 7:17 PM, mojoween said:

Giancarlo Stanton doesn’t care if you want to take a souvenir ball home.

Curious, do fans hang out on Landsdowne for a whole game just in case something like that happens?

Hanging out on Landsdowne during a game is a thing.

• Love 1

I've known two people who broke multiple tiny bones in their hands after punching a wall. One did it at work for a stupid reason. One did it at home for a somewhat less stupid reason. Neither's employer were amused at how hindered they were the next two months. And they made in a year probably less than Williams does in two weeks.

• Love 2