Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I swear to all that is holy if Brian Cashman traded Aaron Judge for Joey Gallo I’ll…I’ll…well I won’t really do anything about it as I am a mere peon, but I guarantee I will have very angry thoughts about it.

• LOL 1
On 7/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, Crs97 said:

image.png.5e0471565b6d7289c5197aab20ab71e7.png

I don’t know that they have to change Slider.

Nope, and they wouldn't have to stop playing "Cleveland Rocks" (the version heard on The Drew Carey Show) after every home win.

(edited)

There was a welcome sight in the Tribe dugout in this most recent homestand - Josh Naylor!! Even though his year is finished due to the brutal on-field leg injury last month, it was so nice to see that smiling face. 

I can't think of any other player in recent memory - and granted, I haven't seen them all - with the capacity for joy that Josh Naylor has. Beyond that, he has grit and determination. I have a feeling we will see him back in action sooner rather than later next year. 😊

20210728_204000.jpg

Edited by catlover79
Homestand! Dang auto correct!
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I swear to all that is holy if Brian Cashman traded Aaron Judge for Joey Gallo I’ll…I’ll…well I won’t really do anything about it as I am a mere peon, but I guarantee I will have very angry thoughts about it.

They announced him as a late scratch, then I saw him batting.  Whaaa?

(Looks like they got Gallo relatively cheaply, mostly prospects).

• Useful 1
(edited)

The automated strike zone can not come soon enough for me.

Pirates' rookie Rudolfo Castro got his fifth hit tonight.

All of them are home runs.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
(edited)

I will be SO mad if the Nats higher-ups do actually trade off Max Scherzer.

We have like no one left now except for Schwarber, Turner, and Soto :(

Edited by Kawaiiko
3 hours ago, DMK said:

Whoa, that Yankees Rays game… WTF happened in the sixth inning?

I mean, they could have at least blocked one of the extra points.

Gallo and Rizzo heading to the Bronx.  I’m not sure how I feel about that, since as far as I know, neither of them are pitchers.

Also, best wishes for good health Tito!  

• Love 2

I think I should accept at least partial blame.  I was home for the top of the first, Cole gave up five runs.  I left to get groceries, no runs given up.  Came back a little over an hour later, ten more runs. *sigh*

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Gallo and Rizzo heading to the Bronx.  I’m not sure how I feel about that, since as far as I know, neither of them are pitchers.

Rizzo can pitch in blowouts like today’s game. At least he won’t have to worry about shaving, he’s already Yankee-ready. Though he won’t get to be #44. Doubt Gallo will get to be #13 either as the Yankees haven’t issued it since A-Rod retired.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

As a Padres fan, I sympathize, and this was not my favorite day either. Thanks for nothing Ken Rosenthal. Soto is still amazingly fun to watch though.

Edited by CrazyDog

On 7/28/2021 at 6:04 PM, catlover79 said:

There was a welcome sight in the Tribe dugout in this most recent homestand - Josh Naylor!! Even though his year is finished due to the brutal on-field leg injury last month, it was so nice to see that smiling face. 

I can't think of any other player in recent memory - and granted, I haven't seen them all - with the capacity for joy that Josh Naylor has. Beyond that, he has grit and determination. I have a feeling we will see him back in action sooner rather than later next year. 😊

20210728_204000.jpg

Sorry for double posting, but I so miss Naylor and Reyes. It's great to see him smiling after that injury, and it seems like he's been playing his heart out this year. Hoping for a big season for him next year!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

I’m very sorry.  

• Love 1

The Cubs lost the heart of the team by trading Rizzo away. The Yankees are getting a really terrific person. I know being a quality human being doesn't win them games, but ugh, this trade hurts. 

Bryant is expected to be traded as well, likely announced today. 

I guess it doesn't matter since I can't watch any of the games now that they've gone to their own stupid Marquee network anyway, but I feel slightly less inclined to bother when they're on ESPN now too. Maybe next year. 

• Love 4

*waiting for the Mets to do something*

Yesterday was one of the day games I was thinking of hitting before I chose the makeup/continuation. The Mets wound up losing. Also, it rained afterward, so getting home might have been a slog. I think I got lucky, but I wonder if the COVID resurgence would slam shut the opportunity to catch a game in-person by the time my game is set to be played.

I did get a smile out to the Yanks getting spanked, though. Looks like they’ll be aiming to make the postseason. Still, 14-0? Giving up a ten-spot in one inning? DAMN. 😈😈😈

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

Well, it turns out what happened was way way WAY worse.

They are literally putting all their eggs in Soto's basket, although these new players might be good. But I can't say for sure.

5 minutes ago, DMK said:

Man, I lost track of who went where, there were players flying around all over the place.

The Nationals went everywhere it seems.  Most to California.

The Cubs decided to torture me by sending Rizzo to the Yankees and Baez to the Mets.  I have no issue with Bryant to the Giants.

• Love 1

Man, feels like the old days, after the Marlins won a World Series!

I’m behind on knowing most individual players, so I had to look up Javy Baez. “Oh! He’s the ‘Run Back To Home Plate and Let the Pirates Mind-Fart Themselves Outta the Game’ Guy!”

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/28/2021 at 9:04 PM, catlover79 said:

20210728_204000.jpg

That's amazing, thank you!

It's the first night back in Toronto for the Blue Jays.  There are super long Opening Ceremonies going on. It's intentionally not a full crowd but they're very loud so the Blue Jays can enjoy a fully Canadian audience for the first time in 670 days I think they said.

When they were playing in Florida and Buffalo they would sometimes get booed and heckled by American fans in their own "stadium".  So for the team, at least this is better.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

Mets fan: We got Javy! And here’s Carasco throwing his first pitch for the Mets!

*Jonathan India homers. The Mets wind up losing*

Mets fan: Well, tomorrow will be great. We’ll have Javy, and three Mets are getting inducted to the Hall of Fame! It’s gonna be a fun second half!

*Jacob deGrom ruled out until September*

Mets fan: *sigh* The next two months are gonna be tough . . .

The MHOF inductees? Three players from three eras: Jon Matlack, Ron Darling and Edgardo Alfonzo.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Marlins uniforms tonight are absolutely terrible.

I like them because at least you can read them. The black jerseys with the black lettering are virtually unreadable, I always find myself scrutinizing them all, “What number is that?” 

image.gif.3e4f0a6ff0029a91337ff94e0a79752e.gif

• LOL 3
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

How are the Yankees the team that is so snakebitten by COVID?  HOW.

When you make a deal with the devil, there are always loopholes.

• LOL 19
41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

How are the Yankees the team that is so snakebitten by COVID?  HOW.

Bad batch of the vaccine? If I were them, I’d be going out and getting a dose of something else.

• Love 1

The Nats also had an outbreak, didn't they? I think they had also used Johnson and Johnson? 

Lower vaccine efficacy than the others I think. Not 100% sure as we never got it here.

• Love 4

I always thought that Anthony Rizzo looked like Shoeless Joe (Ray Liotta) in the movie!!  I'm a Cubs fan and, if we had to lose Riz, I'm so thrilled that he will be coming out of the cornfield, as I always imagined!  Maybe that trade was meant to be!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

100 years ago today, the first radio broadcast of a MLB game occurred.

I typed that as I was listening to the Pirates on the MLB app. I can't remember the last time I listened to a game on an actual radio. But when I was a kid, I was a master at dialing in far off games on AM radio.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

100 years ago today, the first radio broadcast of a MLB game occurred.

I typed that as I was listening to the Pirates on the MLB app. I can't remember the last time I listened to a game on an actual radio. But when I was a kid, I was a master at dialing in far off games on AM radio.

I had a 1970 Dodge Dart.  I used to play "Dialing for Baseball" on my way home from the theatre.  One night, I even pulled in a game from Minnesota.  The stations with the best signals were WABC, Radio 1000 and KMOX.  And, of course, local WTOP, which I heard people could pick up in the Bahamas so they'd get to listen to the Os.  Lucky them... 

• Love 5

I understand the appeal of the Field of Dreams game, but I can't get behind it. The movie is a nostalgic look at a time when the baseball was segregated and a lot of guys who will be playing in the game next week would not have been welcomed in the league of that era.

And James Earl Jones intoning that a time when Blacks were not allowed in the league as being a time when all was good has not aged well.

• Love 6

That’s nice. Meanwhile, I’ve unconsciously started to emotionally detach myself from the Mets as they fall behind the Cobb County Crackers in the standings.

I keep meaning to ask . . . what is up with Craig Kimbrel’s stance on the mound? Guy legit looks like a vulture.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b27b108ec83e242ad2fdc0d9d0e415e.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 3