Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Yep, I'm 0 for 4 with my choices.  If the final two for the WS ends up being the same teams as last year, I won't watch any of it!  I did get some baseball enjoyment tonight, watching part of Bull Durham, and the final three innings of the 1991 WS on Youtube.

• Love 1

Wow, that was a bad call. How do you end a playoff series on a missed call like that?

I don't know that I'll watch the rest of the post-season. I'm indifferent to Boston, can't root for the cheating 'Stros, hate the Braves, and LA? Fuck Chase Utley...

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 6

Saw the highlight. One: that was not a swing. Two: that was Wilmer Flores at the plate. Man, even when a player is removed from the Mets, shit can still happen.

Checking: none of the remaining teams are remotely likable?

• Love 3

Well, if anyone believes in MLB rigging the games then we've got Boston/LA to look forward to in the World Series.  Think about all of the storylines.  Mookie Betts versus his old team!  Can Pujols end his career with a WS win?  Can Alex Cora prove no one really cares if you help your team cheat its way to a championship?  Oh yeah, that last one really doesn't matter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Yep, I'm 0 for 4 with my choices.  If the final two for the WS ends up being the same teams as last year, I won't watch any of it!  I did get some baseball enjoyment tonight, watching part of Bull Durham, and the final three innings of the 1991 WS on Youtube.

That was a great World Series.  Every once in a while it is on TV or one of the games. 1987 was pretty good, too. 

Since I'm underwhelmed by the playoffs this year, just cannot get excited about any of these teams; I'm mainly choosing to ignore them.

What I cannot ignore is the death of A's broadcaster and former Cleveland Indian, Ray Fosse.  He was one of only a couple of good players on the Tribe when I was a kid and just starting to love baseball.  He was a class act, played hard and loved the game; so glad I got to see him play in person.

Unfortunately for Ray, even the NYT has to drag stupid Pete Rose into his obit.  Though Rose's idiocy, in the All Star Game no less, changed the trajectory of Fosse's career, there was so much more to him than that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/sports/baseball/ray-fosse-dead.html

It’s ironic that the Giants won their division on the same checked swing call (except he went through and was called a ball, he walked and game tying walk, Giants won the division by one game), and lost on a checked swing call. I wish they would have called it so that the next pitch might have been a strike so people can talk about how close the series was instead of one call. 
With how much power both teams had I was surprised most of the games were won on pitching. What happened? 

Edited by twoods

I didn't have a huge stake in the NLDS other than I would  root for whoever wins ultimately bc like everyone else I can't root for Houston or Boston. 

I think I dislike Cora more than Houston, but I can't bear the thought of Houston and LA part 2. Bc the smugness of Houston if they won WS against LA again- yuck.

• Love 4

I really want to watch the baseball tonight because, you know, baseball but god almighty.  Would you rather break your ankle, or wrist?  There are no good options here.

Give me a fucking break, Jon Smoltz.  “These organizations had to deal with a lot…”?!?!  IT WAS THEIR OWN FUCKING MAKING OH MY GOD STOP

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 9

Smoltz is a tool.

I'd bitch about the fact that every team I rooted for in the postseason has been eliminated, but it's already been covered here. I'll still watch at least some of the NL/ALCS and WS, because it's baseball and I so *miss it* come November, but it will be more like hate watching this year. I guess I least want to see Houston go all the way, because they're cheating cheaters, but the other three options are nasty, as well.

First another epic Mets collapse, and now these virtually unwatchable playoffs. The baseball gods have not been kind in '21. 

How long until pitchers and catchers?

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Carey said:

If you care about football, I think Syracuse vs Clemson is on

I did see that on Twitter so I am watching that instead, and getting angry about that too.  I kinda want to zoom out to the Dome and kidnap Mike Golic, Jr.

I’m not in any way *pleased* with the NLCS, but I don’t rabidly hate either of those teams, so I won’t be as conflicted there.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Nope can’t do it.  Watching “The Day After Tomorrow” instead.

I had to be in the room while hubby was watching for a few minutes and had to stomach Altuve hit that HR. Now I feel like I need to gouge my eyes out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

Nope can’t do it.  Watching “The Day After Tomorrow” instead.

I mean, that's essentially this ALCS since both are about the end of America and of civilization and of the world as we know it.  However, The Day After Tomorrow has approximately 11 billion times the entertainment value and doesn't involve cheating cheaters who cheat.  So, there's that.

What I'm saying is, I unashamedly love The Day After Tomorrow (I mean, 57 tornadoes annihilating LA all at once?  As an Angeleno, YES, that shit is hilarious!!!!!), and you made the only correct choice!

Edited by NUguy514
Subject-verb agreement matters!
  • Love 2

I guess I'm rooting for Boston in the ALCS. I like some of the Boston players even if I dislike Cora.

But I'm resigned to Houston and LA again bc this is the darkest timeline. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I get updates on my phone, so today I’m pleased to be watching a “The Hunt for Red October”/“A Few Good Men” double feature.  “A Few Good Men” is going to bleed into the NLCS but eh, what are you gonna do.

• Love 3

What a game between the Dodgers and Bravos.  It was so suspenseful!  Disclaimer:  I do not condone the Tomahawk Chop, but they’re my regional market team, my father is so devoted to them he watches every single game during the regular season that he possibly can, and it’s correspondingly the only MLB team where I can name more than three players on the roster.

So go Bravos.  They’re an endearing group of players and have really put together an impressive end-of-season/ playoff run and fought tooth and nail for everything they have gotten.

I saw posted early Saturday some LA Times piece from before the game talking about how the Braves are not worthy opponents for the Dodgers; the real NL division championship was with the Giants, and the Dodgers would sweep the series.  When I read that, I was like, “What a way to jinx your team dude.”  Now if a few more LA Times staffers could write similar pieces before the next 3 games, I would appreciate it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

What a game between the Dodgers and Bravos.  It was so suspenseful!  Disclaimer:  I do not condone the Tomahawk Chop, but they’re my regional market team, my father is so devoted to them he watches every single game during the regular season that he possibly can, and it’s correspondingly the only MLB team where I can name more than three players on the roster.

So go Bravos.  They’re an endearing group of players and have really put together an impressive end-of-season/ playoff run and fought tooth and nail for everything they have gotten.

I saw posted early Saturday some LA Times piece from before the game talking about how the Braves are not worthy opponents for the Dodgers; the real NL division championship was with the Giants, and the Dodgers would sweep the series.  When I read that, I was like, “What a way to jinx your team dude.”  Now if a few more LA Times staffers could write similar pieces before the next 3 games, I would appreciate it.

The chop is gross and racist, and I remember thinking that when I was a teenager in the 90s living in North Carolina.

Dylan Hernández wrote that horrible column for the LA Times.  His columns are clickbait trash, and he usually is obscenely critical of the Dodgers.  That column was so brazenly pro-Dodgers and so ridiculously disrespectful of the Braves that I'd almost believe he's deliberately trying to jinx the Dodgers.  If that was his goal, it's working so far!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

So I know why we hate the Red Sox, Astros (especially the Astros!) and the Dodgers?  This AL fan is wondering why we hate the Braves?  Is it the chop?  Something else?

I love the Dodgers!  My fellow Dodgers fans, though, can be the worst (other than Phillies fans); I freely admit it.  I also completely understand those who hate the Dodgers.  Unless they're Giants fans.

I hate the Braves because I grew up in North Carolina in the 90s when it was all Braves all the time and the chop, so there was definitely a bit of a contrarian thing going on, but I absolutely felt like all the players seemed like assholes.  I wanted to take a 2x4 to Chipper Jones' smug, ugly face so many times.  I can't say it's rational, but I've never quite gotten over my antipathy toward them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

So I know why we hate the Red Sox, Astros (especially the Astros!) and the Dodgers?  This AL fan is wondering why we hate the Braves?  Is it the chop?  Something else?

I have had along time dislike of the Braves, first as NL West opponents of the Reds.(Why they were both in the west division is beyond me).  And now as NL East opponent of the Nationals.  

I have been trained all my life not to like them.

• Love 1

Yeah I think I'm indifferent to the Braves. Agree that not only is the chop racist it's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have no idea why I don’t like the Braves because what do Yankees fans care?  But here I am.

Substitute Tigers for Yankees and I am right there with you.
 I think the chop is racist as can be, and cannot believe they still do it.  I caught a few minutes of a game the other night and from what little I could see of the crowd, it didn’t look like as many fans were participating as were in the past.  Progress, I guess?

• Love 1

I grew up cheering for the Braves because it was on every night and I watched with my grandfather.  As I now live in the Nats market and have been to several games a season, my allegiance has changed.

I don't like the Astros for obvious reasons.  I have generally positive feelings about the Red Sox because I hated the Yankees (because Braves fan in the 90s) but now am conflicted because of Cora.  

I could live with a Braves win because I think Freddie Freeman is a underrated great player and seems to be a good guy.  I will always pull for Mad Max and am truly sad that the Nats traded away Trea Turner as I think he would have been the face of the franchise when Zim retires.  But I find myself not really caring which team wins the NLCS.  However, I am NL all the way so I will cheer for whichever team wins, just won't care as much as usual.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bewitched said:

I will always pull for Mad Max and am truly sad that the Nats traded away Trea Turner as I think he would have been the face of the franchise when Zim retires.

2nd face probably, Juan Soto currently occupies the spot of franchise face.

25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Come to think of it, I would feel better about rooting for the Dodgers if Mookie Betts weren’t there.  If we could swap him with, say, Freddie Freeman this would be a lot more fun.

Aw, this Yankees fan can’t help but love Mookie.  I think he seems like a fantastic guy.  Ditto for FF.

Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, Yuli Gurriel et al., however ...

• Love 5

To prove my point, Ron Darling literally just called Mookie Betts Mookie Wilson, who is the only Mookie worth knowing.

I’m sure Betts is a delight, but as soon as I get told how much I *have* to love someone (not you, the MLB media in general) I bristle and start to hate them.  See also, Shohei Ohtani.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I feel my comment about Dumbass Dylan Hernández jinxing the Dodgers is turning into a prophecy, and he can officially go fuck himself, but that little part of me that loves an underdog story is also kind of here for it?  Even though it's the Braves?  For whom I have nothing but antipathy?  I blame the double psycho whammy of Trevor Bauer and Blake Treinen and the fact that we won* (most 2020 sports champions get *s from me) last year.

Should the Braves go on to win the NLCS and then lose the WS to whichever cheating bag of dicks team wins the ALCS, though, I will damn them straight to hell for all eternity.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I have always liked the Dodgers.  Why do people hate the Dodgers?  Because they're always in the post season?

My Dad has always cheered for the Dodgers in this situation and now all of a sudden he's cheering for the Braves who have GM and President Alex Anthopolous - who got the Jays our glorified 2015 season with the Batflip.  He left right after, but we also made the postseason in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Anthopoulos

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

I'll admit that my longtime affection for the Red Sox has emerged, and I'm rooting for them.  However, after the last two games I'm starting to feel sorry for the hated Astros.

I'll never feel sorry for the Ass-tros. Not a fan of Boston, but I am enjoying the throttling. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

It's hysterical Cora has no issue with cheating (in the past not making any accusations about now) but has a problem with his pitcher taunting a batter. Like Cora trying to act like he has integrity or cares about sportsmanship or something.

Also if Correa is going to pimp his home run and make a fuss on the field then the pitchers should be able to respond. Why should batters have all the fun?

Aside from the fact that it is Houston and Boston I hate the sentiment that the players should be as flat and emotionless as possible. 

• Love 6