Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I’m not going to link to the tweet because it’s absolutely disgusting, but I hope that the Colorado Rockies find one of their “fans”, make sure he is never allowed in any MLB game (or any sport, really) ever and is publicly shamed for what he said to Lewis Brinson.  And I hope every person in that park who sat back and did nothing really reflects on why they are a bad person.  What the everloving fuck.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I’m not going to link to the tweet because it’s absolutely disgusting, but I hope that the Colorado Rockies find one of their “fans”, make sure he is never allowed in any MLB game (or any sport, really) ever and is publicly shamed for what he said to Lewis Brinson.  And I hope every person in that park who sat back and did nothing really reflects on why they are a bad person.  What the everloving fuck.

Jeez.

Deadspin wonders if the Mets are toast. I didn't know the Mets were now in third place, and that Baez was hurt. All that's left are for the obnoxious Yankees fans to come out of hiding to take some cheap shots.

Apparently they showed video of the guy at the Rockies game and he was pointing at the mascot and saying “Dinger” since that’s his name. If that’s true, then my faith in humanity has been somewhat restored. Listening to the clip it does seem like he’s saying “Dinger.” 

On 7/30/2021 at 1:58 AM, CrazyDog said:

Sorry for double posting, but I so miss Naylor and Reyes. It's great to see him smiling after that injury, and it seems like he's been playing his heart out this year. Hoping for a big season for him next year!

They are still the best of friends. I loved this lighthearted moment they shared earlier this season:

20210809_003013.jpg

• Love 2

This Yanni/Laurel Dinger/other word situation is messed up.

If he was saying Dinger, then I will admit I was wrong with what I said above.  If he was saying Dinger, the mascot wasn’t even in his section which is odd.

Also, why a dinosaur?

• LOL 2
20 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If he was saying Dinger, then I will admit I was wrong with what I said above.  If he was saying Dinger, the mascot wasn’t even in his section which is odd.

Also, why a dinosaur?

You can hear several other fans yell Dinger before the fan says whatever he says.  It would explain why there was no reaction from people around him.  The guy who (supposedly) yells it is also looking and pointing at Dinger, who was hanging out behind home plate.

Any why a dinosaur?  Because dinosaurs make everything better, and it beats having someone dressed up like a mountain.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Also, why a dinosaur?

As to the dinosaur mascot:

When they were excavating the area to build Coors Field, they discovered dinosaur bones thus the mascot. As a Rockies fan, I hate the mascot not because he's a dinosaur but because he used to hang out behind home plate and do antics in the ninth inning. So annoying.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

They have been making a big deal about this "Field of Dreams" game so I finally took a look at some of the stuff that has been reported. I discovered they are not playing on the "Field of Dreams" but rather on a new ball park built on a corn field near the original...what a disappointment. I understand why they can't play on the actual field, but this becomes a game in some random ballpark in the middle of nowhere Iowa.

• Love 3

One thing that annoys me is that MLB can figure out how to stage games in Iowa and Williamsport but returning to Cooperstown for the HOF game is apparently akin to landing on Mars.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Oh my god you guys I cried when the teams came out of the corn.

Yes!!!     I teared up totally.  I thought it was great with the theme song playing.   I was waiting for James Earl Jones to walk out.     

Edited by MissT
  • Love 8

Glad they did that! I only tuned in a bit late when the Sox took the field and was astonished they didn’t take the field from the cornfield!  I was recording it, will have to go back.  

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

That was so cool! Costner's opening was just right, then the teams came out of the corn...amazing.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Me too and I don't even  like the Yankees and don't really care about the White Sox but theme music was playing and the tears started.

• Love 6

The opening was amazing.  Just perfect.  Can't believe the movie came out in 1989.  Means those of us who have memories watching that movie in the theater are all old.  Really a testament to the hold that baseball has on our hearts and imagination, as this movie will forever stand the test of time.

6 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They could've just called it the Cornfield Game, which would've been more accurate, but then I bet people would've said "it's Field of Dreams! Because it's in a Cornfield!" So there's sort of no winning here.

Obviously this was posted before the game started.  But as you can see, the field is adjacent to the original movie field.  I wonder if MLB will make this a yearly affair.

• Love 4

I didn't realize that today was the other day I could have used the Pete Alonso Home Run Derby savings thing to go to Citi Field. If you'll recall, I wound up getting a ticket for the completion of a suspended game on August 31, which might be seven innings. I'll have to ask.

Looking at the box score, I kinda regret not going today. Thanks to bad weather this week, the Mets had a doubleheader with the Nationals, and I could have gotten 13.5 innings instead of nine. Mets wound up sweeping, with an Alonso walk-off homer in the second game. Probably not as memorable as any of the home runs hit into the cornfield tonight, but it still got the win. Of course, the Mets had to blow a three-run lead in the top of the seventh because . . . well, the Mets.

Seriously, why does Kimbrel hunch over like that on the mound?

• Love 1

I loved watching the players walk out from the corn, but I thought Fox botched it a bit. I would have liked to see wave after wave of players appear, but Fox kept changing camera angles - aerial view, following the back of Aaron Judge through the corn, etc. Sort of ruined the effect for me. Not the way a movie director would have done it.

Edited by Rickster
  • Love 6

I know it's shocking but it seems another woman had a restraining order against Bauer last yr. 

She tried to report the assault to the police and they arrested her for underage drinking.

34 minutes ago, cleo said:

I know it's shocking but it seems another woman had a restraining order against Bauer last yr. 

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, cleo said:

She tried to report the assault to the police and they arrested her for underage drinking.

Yep, that sounds about right.

• Love 3

I used to root for the Dodgers a lot. Like the last few years when the Jays were not great I watched a lot of Dodgers games. I like Dave Roberts, I really liked listening to Joe Davis and Orel Hershiser. Loved Walker Buehler. It was nice watching intense post season games.

Now I don't know who to watch in the postseason lol. Not SF.

I know this is not the biggest issue right now, but it must be hard for fans of the team. Dodgers were asked if they knew of the previous allegations and wouldn't comment.

I used to like Bauer myself, primarily when he was tearing into Manfred.

It's tough, we identify so much with these teams and players but we don't really know them.

Eta like the first player I really liked, my first jersey was Roberto Osuna's. Such a disappointment to learn what he did 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, cleo said:

I was just coming here to post that. I hope these new revelations give prosecutors what they need to put him away, MLB and the Dodgers to cut him loose, and for other players to think twice before they mistreat a woman. In any case, I don't think he will be pitching again this year.

• Love 4
On 8/12/2021 at 9:41 PM, greyhorse said:

The opening was amazing.  Just perfect.  Can't believe the movie came out in 1989.  Means those of us who have memories watching that movie in the theater are all old.  Really a testament to the hold that baseball has on our hearts and imagination, as this movie will forever stand the test of time.

Obviously this was posted before the game started.  But as you can see, the field is adjacent to the original movie field.  I wonder if MLB will make this a yearly affair.

I could see MLB having a game played there once a year.  Maybe the Cubbies next year.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:41 PM, greyhorse said:

I wonder if MLB will make this a yearly affair.

I think I heard somewhere (maybe when they were talking about it during the Met game last night) that MLB has said they will do it again next year.

• Love 1

It feels like an increasing trend where adults will catch a homer/foul ball, celebrate for a moment, and then hand it to a nearby kid.

I like that. Much better than that asshole who became famous because he would run over anyone between him and the ball.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It feels like an increasing trend where adults will catch a homer/foul ball, celebrate for a moment, and then hand it to a nearby kid.

I like that. Much better than that asshole who became famous because he would run over anyone between him and the ball.

I like it, too. A couple of years ago, I had a seat down the left field line at an Indians game. That's foul ball central, especially since they hadn't put netting up yet. Anyway, some guy caught a foul that a nearby kid was trying to get. He got soundly booed for not giving it to the kid. So giving a foul ball to a kid is not only a  good way to be nice, but to keep fans off your case. 😊

• Love 2