Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

This morning ESPN was talking about the Padres game and Bart Scott (for those who don’t know, he is a retired football player famous for saying “Can’t wait!” and that was way more awesome than it sounds like it would be) said he watched “Schindler’s List” and “Shawshank” and the game was STILL going on and that made me laugh.

It is so wonderful the game went 16 even with the dumb runners on second.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

I watched the Dodgers/Padres game until the tenth inning. Then this Taco Bell ad came on.

"Go to bed. Sleep well."

So I did. And I did.

However I did not go to Taco Bell.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

The Padres game was an epic battle between two pitchers giving their all (very happy for Snell to finally pitch a gem), and two offenses just refusing to score. lol.

My SO gets up for work at 2:30 AM, and when I finally went to bad at 12:30, I was wondering if I should leave him a note to try to catch the end of the game when he got up, ha.

An interesting game, but certainly badly managed by the Padres. The spectacular collapse continues, even as the overworked bullpen tries to keep the team going. 

It will be fun to watch two completely exhausted and taxed teams snoring in the dugouts tonight.

Glad Tatis got to break his slump finally with a game tying HR at least.

I don’t normally root for a pitch clock, but the Oakland pitcher desperately needs one.

Joey Gallo’s hair is a thing of beauty.  Not quite as magnificent as that kid from Toronto’s, but lovely nonetheless.

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Y'all wouldn't think less of me if I don't go see the Mets on Tuesday, right?

Seriously, remember when the Yankees were skidding into the Subway Series, and the Mets were up in the NL East? It's not like I knew that the Yankees would catch fire while the Mets would basically plummet and hit every rock on the way down . . . but I was dreading it. And now it's happening.

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don’t normally root for a pitch clock, but the Oakland pitcher desperately needs one.

Joey Gallo’s hair is a thing of beauty.  Not quite as magnificent as that kid from Toronto’s, but lovely nonetheless.

May I take the unsolicited opportunity to say that we have two kids with magnificent hair on our team?

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and Bo Bichette.

gurriel_hair_9701-copy.jpg

gettyimages-1167635583-1024x1024.jpg

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Y'all wouldn't think less of me if I don't go see the Mets on Tuesday, right?

Seriously, remember when the Yankees were skidding into the Subway Series, and the Mets were up in the NL East? It's not like I knew that the Yankees would catch fire while the Mets would basically plummet and hit every rock on the way down . . . but I was dreading it. And now it's happening.

If you have a chance to go to a game in person, go. You never know what might happen.

Years ago, probably 2004-2005, I was offered tickets from my job. Just random upper deck box seats, not our suite, for a mid-week game in mid-September. I turned them down - the Mets were doing one of their late season swoons, I figured it was going to be a cold, probably damp night. Plus, some things had blown up at work, and I was working long hours as part of a team helping to fix it. I ended up listening to the game on the radio in the office...it turned out to be beautiful weather, mid-60s at game time, Mets won big, pitcher threw a complete game shutout. I still regret missing that game.

Always go to a game if you have the chance...

• Love 4
On 8/27/2021 at 1:03 PM, mojoween said:

Lourdes is who I was thinking of.  I’d never seen Bo act out an Herbal Essences ad before.

Every single time he slides into home base!

TangibleImmenseEyra-max-1mb.gif

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 3.44.18 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

If you have a chance to go to a game in person, go. You never know what might happen.

Back in the nineties, a friend of mine had an extra ticket and asked if I wanted to join him at an Orioles game. The team wasn't great, I'd been to a bunch of games that season and I lived in DC and didn't really feel like making the drive up and back. So I declined.

It was the last game Cal Ripken played before ending his streak.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

On the plus side: Low Covid risk.

Also, no annoying people sitting behind us explaining the game to their friends who know nothing about baseball.  Those people always seem to sit directly behind us.   And no lines at concession stands.  So there are some good things.  

The team is not one of those good things.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Also, no annoying people sitting behind us explaining the game to their friends who know nothing about baseball.  Those people always seem to sit directly behind us.   And no lines at concession stands.  So there are some good things.  

The team is not one of those good things.

I always end up in front or behind those people too. They best ones are the ones who are explaining something but don't actually know what they are talking about 😂🤦.

In other news ....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And even if he’s being a brat, I think the Daily News took things a step too far.

First time seeing the Daily News😉 I haven't found it online, but I expect the New York Post would be worse, they usually are.

. . . and the shit keeps raining down. I think the writer is an asshole about it, though.

ETA: I’m seriously thinking of not going to the game tomorrow. I get @Moose135; the Yankees once had the slogan, “At Any Moment, A Great Moment,” and I think that fits. I just figure the atmosphere will be moribund as fuck tomorrow,  the Mets will find a way to fuck things up, and I paid slightly more than $10 for my seat . . . and that’s after fees.

Seriously, though, that writer is an asshole. I imagine Yankees fans wondering where their gear went before remembering, “Oh, yeah, I donated all of it to Goodwill!”

Edited by Lantern7

As many on twitter have pointed out- the Mets and swell reporters like Buster are more outraged over this than anyone is by Bauer....pretty fucked up. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, cleo said:

As many on twitter have pointed out- the Mets and swell reporters like Buster are more outraged over this than anyone is by Bauer....pretty fucked up. 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Seriously, someone talk me into going tomorrow.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Seriously, someone talk me into going tomorrow.

Go.  Just go.  Even if the game stinks, you can find ways to enjoy yourself.  So there!

• Love 5

Thanks, guys.

Reasons To Go

• Haven't been to Citi Field since 2016
  • Gives me an excuse to ride the fast ferry that goes to midtown Manhattan
  • Already told work that I wasn't coming in
    • What else would I do? Sleep in? I do that every weekend!
  • "At Any Moment, A Great Moment"
  • When else am I going to go?

Reasons Not To Go

• The Mets
  • The team set aside certain seats for the Pete Alonso Home Run Derby discount, and I might get the one that doesn't deserve the $11.20 I piad
  • I paid $11.20. With the cost of food, not going might put me ahead of the game.
  • I'll have to leave my backpack at home (I do have a substitute ready that would get me in)
  • Here's what happened the last time I went to Citi Field
  • What could be worse than watching the Mets lose in potentially agonizing fashion? Watching the Mets lose in potentially agonizing fashion to the friggin' Marlins.

*sigh* I'll probably go tomorrow. It just feels like I'm going to make a bad choice no matter what I do. And I apologize for the dramatics. If Javy had decided not to act up, or if the fans hadn't been riding him long enough for him to do what he did, I wouldn't be Hamleting over this.

• Love 5

If you bet on me going to the game today? You won!

If you bet that I’d leave before they’d win the game? You are so lucky!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• LOL 8
22 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

If you bet on me going to the game today? You won!

If you bet that I’d leave before they’d win the game? You are so lucky!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Did you boo Boo-yaez? 😁

• LOL 1

I’m home. Checked the DVR. Had the thing set for three hours 45 minutes . . . not long enough.

Seriously, the Mets were down by four after seven innings. Alonso struck out with the bases loaded in the fifth, and that had been their best chance. All I wanted was to beat the crowd to the train back home. All I wanted was to sit down for the entire ride on the 7 train. Does that make me any less of a fan?

Baez scored the winning run. Of course he fucking did. I didn’t think he play given that he wasn’t on the team when the game started. Also, because of Sunday.

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Did you boo Boo-yaez? 😁

Lindor got booed. I don’t think it was a good look. Basically, it was (is?) a situation where everyone involved sucks AND needs sympathy.

I still feel like an asshole. Maybe I should travel the world. I climb mountains, the Mets win title after title. Wouldn’t be the worst trade-off. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

ETA: Finally saw highlights. I think Gary Cohen orgasmed harder when Baez scored than when Bartolo went yard.

Edited by Lantern7

I hate fans booing so I am siding with the Mets players. Be douchebags to the douchebags all you want.

Ohtani stealing home. He is unreal right now. Too bad he’s not playing for a contending team.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2021 at 9:29 PM, shoregirl said:

I always end up in front or behind those people too. They best ones are the ones who are explaining something but don't actually know what they are talking about 😂🤦.

In other news ....

I think Frankie may be wishing he'd stayed here in Cleveland. 😂 Honestly, when the trade happened in January, who would have guessed that Amed Rosario would be having the better year? 

• Love 2