Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Spend

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I hope he is locked in solitary confinement and given just enough to survive, but is left with with a backpack, some weapons, and a key he could use to unlock himself and set out on his own. Coward's choice.

I hope he gets the flu, and carol is assigned as his caretaker. 

• Love 24

So, so, soooooooo much frustration with this episode!

First, Noah is dead.  Noah, the man Beth sacrificed herself to ensure he would no longer be a slave to those cops in exchange for safety, is dead.  I am so pissed right now I could spit bullets.  Also, we've lost another black character.  AMC is racist.

Second, the fuck is up with Carol.  She's veering dangerously into unlikable territory.  I can sort of understand why she would be brusque with the kid, considering what happened to Sophia and Lizzie and The Other One.  But she's encouraging Rick to kill the Blonde Lady's (don't know her name) husband.

Thirdly, Gabriel.  Yes, Gabriel, Lucifer does disguise himself as The Angel of Light.  But you, Gabriel,.....are Lucifer.  You are the Prince of Lies and Deception, a wolf in shepherd's clothing.  You're the Big Bad of this season.  You are going to screw things up for everyone and in your delirious mind, you're in the right.  I can't wait 'til you're walker chow.

Fourthly, Abraham and Eugene (aka TV's Frank 2.0).  You have a reason to live now, Abraham.  Go forth and teach the Alexandrians to be brave.  Eugene, you say you're a coward and, yes, you can be.  But you had more courage and heart than the Alexandrian guy who told you to give up the van's driver's seat.  But you held firm.  You stayed for Glenn.  And you saved Tara.  I could kiss you full on the mouth you cowardly lion who was brave all along.

• Love 21

Jesus, everyone really does hate Chris, I mean, Noah.  Walkers especially.  That might have been one of the most brutal deaths yet.  And, Glenn had a front role seat to it.  At least he beat the crap out of the coward that fled, but I have a bad feeling he might worm his way out of any kind of punishment.

At least this was a good episode for Eugene and Abraham.  Eugene still is a bit of a coward, but stepped up when he was needed.  Hope it was enough to save Tara's life.  Meanwhile, Abraham has already got himself appointed leader of the construction crew.  The man has found his calling.

Seriously, fuck off, Gabriel.  You are the worst.  The group should have just left you for dead, for all the good you have done.  He sucks.  I can only hope Maggie hearing him sell them down the river, is going to come back to bite him.  If not that, then Walkers themselves.

So, Jesse's husband is not only a controlling jackass, but actually abusive.  I'm trusting Carol's judgement on this one.  If Rick doesn't do something about this, I'm sure Carol will.  Dude is in for a bad time, I can only hope.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 10

So they kill off Noah and make the only other black man left a psycho and a traitor. Why am I not surprised.  That said the priest does have a point. Rick and crew are dangerous and wherever they go a dark cloud follows. ASZ ain’t gone be safe for long.  Glad Maggie overheard his confession though and will hopefully warn the others.

We didn’t get much time to know Noah, but the little time we did get with him I was really starting to like him. I think he could've been a real asset had he not died. His shot had gotten pretty good and his head was in the right place. Very smart of him to want to learn from the senator's husband about infrastructure and how to build and protect the community.  Which makes it even more so sad that he died. I’m glad that Glenn left that coward, don’t know his name, at the warehouse. His ass should’ve been torn apart by zombies.

I hate the storyline with Rick/Jessie and now Carol acting like Lady Macbeth.  If she thinks Jessie’s husband needs to die why don’t she kill him? Why put that on Rick?

The Alexandrians really are a bunch of cowards, save for maybe Aaron and his boyfriend. No wonder they’ve been having to recruit more folks because as time went on the cowardice of this group have likely been getting what few good runners they had killed or left for dead.

No Michonne this week? Not liking that either.

The senator is not going to be happy to hear that her son died and only people from Rick’s crew returned from the run. Her fears are being further realized.

The senator's son being eating alive, literally while he screamed in horror as was Noah's death literally being torn apart,  goes down as the worst.deaths.ever. on this show, and both were pretty damn gross too.

Rick's group is right not to trust them. Look at how loyal they are to one another. And the other ASZhat came back with them, though if I were Glen, I would have left him to turn.

• Love 3

Just spitballin' here.  Last week I speculated there was some mass drugging going on ...and every one is a little unhinged.  

Could Rick be hallucinating or projecting the shit with Shane and Lori onto Pete, Carol and Jessie?

Maybe Carol is actually wrong about Pete.  Maybe Sam is a demon child out of control and wants to kill his parents?

Maybe Jessie is abusing Sam and Pete can't stop it so he is a drunk instead?

• Love 1

I think Fr Gabriel is off his rocker.  Hopefully that's what Deanna was thinking too.

Nah. She was already feeling uncomfortable with putting Rick's group in so many positions of power, so that asshole's words coupled with her son's death is going to make her even more against Rick's group too. A true leader would step aside and let the more capable one take charge, specially considering that they're at the end of the world, but she won't, just like her imbecile sons didn't even though they had already gotten people killed.

I've been fucking hating father stupid since his first episode, now I hate him even more. Augh.

Poor Noah. Go Eugene! Poor Tara, I hope she makes it.

Edited by natyxg
  • Love 12

I don't really go for spoilers before the show, but it was kinda anvilicious about Noah, what with all the talking of the future and writing journals et all.

Also, Gabriel, well, I'd like to say he's crazy, but he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut while traveling with the group that has basically saved his ass and fed him on the road, in exchange for, well, nothing. But the minute he reaches a safer port, he sells them out. They should've left him on that rock.

It's not that I don't see what he means, (and it looks like they're heading that way) but, I don't know. Some loyalty, man. These people could've ditched him whenever, and didn't, despite barely pulling his weight.

And since he feels like opening up to Deanna about CDB's sins, I hope he remembers to tell her how, when his flock was in need, he locked them out. Here's hoping ASZ doesn't put any locks on that church garage.

• Love 17

What a hugely uneven show this is becoming.

Everything with Rick, Jessie (who for the third straight episode still has no identity outside of Rick) and her creepy husband, who comes right out of bad USA Network TV movies from 20 years ago - it just sucks. Rick's motivation are as vague to me as ever, I find it more than a little insulting that Jessie is truly just an object for Rick to "save" - a breathing version of those damn owl statues). And it feels like Carol's involvement in this story is a cover, in some sense, for Rick's obsessiveness. Rick has to get involved - Pete's abusive!

It's just a waste of Melissa McBride to have Carol stuck doing this for an episode, and I almost dread watching Rick scenes at this point, which is sad, as he was one of my favorite characters.

And Andrew Lincoln continues to have no chemistry that I could see with the woman who plays Jessie, in spite of this being such a huge life-altering connection that makes him feel for the first time since Lori, blah blah blah.

Everything else, other than the rushed, forced scene of Gabriel going on and on and on about evil heathens (which was overwritten and felt endless), worked for me.

I was more involved in Abraham's drama than I ever thought I would be. Are they finally getting a handle on this character? I also liked Francine a lot.

Eugene's believable heroics, the glimpses of Tara's humor and heart before her injury, Glenn trying his best to lead only to be horribly betrayed, and poor poor Noah (I will never get over that) - this worked beautifully. And while it's lazy writing to say that Alexandria can't survive without the group, it also makes an odd sort of sense, given how pampered they've been.

Glenn watching Noah die - one of the best acting moments in 5 seasons of this show. Bravo, Steven Yeun!

I also have to praise Tovah Feldshuh for doing so much with a look or a line reading. I don't really like Deanna very much - I think she's deluded and sheltered and a poor leader - but I can understand her, which I rarely do with "leader" figures on this show.

If we get another episode like this I'm going to start hoping Rick just wanders off my screen for a good long while.

I don't get how Jessie has no identity outside of Rick. In this episode we are pretty specifically reminded she is a mother, in a scene where Rick is not around, and we find out, again not via Rick, that she's possibly being abused.

And to those who ask why Rick has to be the one to deal with it--Rick's the constable. He and Carol don't have previews for next week, so at this point they're trying to do things within the framework of the town. My guess is they'll plan it in a way that makes it look like Rick was investigating and shot Pete to protect Jessie or her kids.

• Love 5

And since he feels like opening up to Deanna about CDB's sins, I hope he remembers to tell her how, when his flock was in need, he locked them out. Here's hoping ASZ doesn't put any locks on that church garage.

That's what gets me. That line where he basically said HE was good and THEY were bad. Is he now projecting all of his own sins onto them? Does he have to do that to live with himself? Otherwise, he just decided to sell them out for no apparent reason.

I've defended this character and the writing for him, but it's become a big eyesore. They should have built this up instead of having him take a powder for two episodes.

• Love 9

Not Noah!!!! Ugh, so sad. He was going to build walls, damnit. It was just too soon. And probably the most gruesome CDB death we've seen so far.

I just really hate those ASZhats with the fire of a thousand suns. I hate their "system", I hate their negligence, I hate their techno music. I hate everything about them. Glad to see Aiden go. Of course, that's not going to go down well with Deanna, especially given what FPP has said. She already seems to be trippin about losing too much control.

The moment the husband said something to Noah like "you're in this for the long haul", shit, you knew Noah was dead. This fucking show.....

I agree - I hate all of these pretentious, cowardly, pathetic, self-serving, delusional ASZhats. Just terrible people. Terrible. Even Eugene, who is self-described coward still stepped up to the plate when needed. FPP already showed how much like the ASZhats he is, by locking out the parishoners. He fits right in at the ASZ.

Rick and company, do you thing and get rid of this pestilential bunch of cowards.

• Love 14
I hate the storyline with Rick/Jessie and now Carol acting like Lady Macbeth.  If she thinks Jessie’s husband needs to die why don’t she kill him? Why put that on Rick?

I know right. Carol "single-handedly" saved the group from big bad Terminus. Saving a woman and kid from 1 man is child's play for her LOL

• Love 10

I said last week I was over Carol and still am. I am also over FPP and the ensuing drama his talk with Deanna will bring. I really can fast forward the future eps showcasing this drama.

It sucks that they killed Noah. I really liked him. 

Eugene and Abraham won me over this episode.

• Love 3

Spoiler regarding Morgan for this season:

Morgan joins the group this season confirmed.

I've been meaning to ask this:  what's great that we've seen about Morgan?  I seriously don't remember anything he did that should make me excited that he might be coming back.  Somebody please remind me.  Thanks.

Edited by HalcyonDays
Tagged potential spoiler.
  • Love 1

The Alexandrites are no longer Captain Kirk et al.  They are no longer the heroes of their own story.  They are now the Red Shirts. 

Alexandrites you can't be Captain Kirk if you don't try to save the Red Shirts.  The Red Shirts always die - but there is at least a try.

• Love 3

So, do they go back to make sure Noah and Aidan are really most sincerely dead, or just assume they got totally devoured? I give zero fucks about Aidan but don't want Noah to be a walker.

Edited to add: yes, I know there would probably be nothing left (like T-Dawg). However, I think Buttons (would've reanimated if he were human), Bicycle Walker, and a variety of other extraordinarily unlucky undead devour victims would beg to differ. Apologies for my nitpicking!

I worry about Deanna listening to FPP as their motto up to this point is leave everyone behind.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 1

I don't get how Jessie has no identity outside of Rick. In this episode we are pretty specifically reminded she is a mother, in a scene where Rick is not around, and we find out, again not via Rick, that she's possibly being abused.

And to those who ask why Rick has to be the one to deal with it--Rick's the constable. He and Carol don't have previews for next week, so at this point they're trying to do things within the framework of the town. My guess is they'll plan it in a way that makes it look like Rick was investigating and shot Pete to protect Jessie or her kids.

Even the scenes where we found out she was being abused were about Carol and about Sam, with Jessie being discussed as some part of the whole package.

Everything about Jessie is about other people, and it always seems to lead back to Rick. 

If they'd never teased this "connection," and just had Carol learn about her through Sam, I think I'd be more accepting. Having it be about Rick and his hormones and his Shane-breakdown sends some sort of offputting ambiguous message for me - are we only supposed to care that she's being abused because Rick has the hots for her?

• Love 12
Aaron, Eric, Jessie, and Sam are the exceptions on the Alexandrian death list.

Agreed. I've been thinking Aaron, at least, will end up with CDB. He seems smart and competent, and is not as attached to the ASZhats.

• Love 7

First of all, Father Pee Pants can do die any minute. Put his ass outside the gates. What a fucktard. I do not even get his motivation with that crap. How does painting CDB in a bad light going to serve him?

Probably trying to poison the well for CDB before they can spill the beans on how FPP treated his last flock.

Gotta keep them strawberries coming, donchaknow.

Oh - and next time before you give your "false apostle" speech, find a mirror first.

Feh.

• Love 9

I guess we know now what the ASers are all about.  Letting people get killed to save their own asses.   Really sad to see Noah go.   And I always thought Eugene had it in him, to do what he had to when he had to do it.  He's good people.  Father Gabriel not so much.  I don't know if he's just racked with guilt over his own "unspeakable" actions that he's projecting that on to Rick and the group or what.  

I thought the scene with Tobin confessing that Abraham had stepped up when he hadn't was a little bizarre.  So he doesn't even stay around to help?  Instead he heads back to ASZ to "resign" or something.  Not real impressed with Deanna's husband, Mr. Professor.  Saving lives that just makes you a hero, not a crew chief on a construction project.  Uh...if your people are getting eaten by walkers they aren't going to be doing much constructing, yeah?  

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 7

So, do they go back to make sure Noah and Aidan are really most sincerely dead, or just assume they got totally devoured? I give zero fucks about Aidan but don't want Noah to be a walker.

The way those walkers tore at Noah, won't be much left to reanimate and shamble around.

• Love 6

That's what gets me. That line where he basically said HE was good and THEY were bad. Is he now projecting all of his own sins onto them? Does he have to do that to live with himself? Otherwise, he just decided to sell them out for no apparent reason.

I've defended this character and the writing for him, but it's become a big eyesore. They should have built this up instead of having him take a powder for two episodes.

A few lines with him and Alexandrians at the party might have helped, but no, he was nowhere to be seen.

• Love 1

I thought the scene with Tobin confessing that Abraham had stepped up when he hadn't was a little bizarre.  So he doesn't even stay around to help?  Instead he heads back to ASZ to "resign" or something.  Not real impressed with Deanna's husband, Mr. Professor.  Saving lives that just makes you a hero, not a crew chief on a construction project.  Uh...if you're people are getting eaten by walkers they aren't going to be doing much constructing, yeah?  

That was such an odd scene. He was like something out of an educational film from 1950. I had a hard time believing he'd be so pro-Abraham, instead of being a petty little shit, like Aidan's d-bag friend.

• Love 9

The walkers made mincemeat out of Noah and Glenn knows it.

But unless Eugene tucked the solar parts into the backpack, they're not returning with them - will there be a return trip for them?

• Love 1

I've been meaning to ask this:  what's great that we've seen about Morgan?  I seriously don't remember anything he did that should make me excited that he's coming back.  Somebody please remind me.  Thanks.

He saved Rick.  See Season 1, Episode 1. 

• Love 16
I agree - I hate all of these pretentious, cowardly, pathetic, self-serving, delusional ASZhats. Just terrible people. Terrible. Even Eugene, who is self-described coward still stepped up to the plate when needed.

Exactly. Eugene, for all his cowardice, I don't think he'd leave people. He might freeze in fear, but he didn't just run off. The ASZhats have been living together for years, yet seemed to have no compunction about abandoning each other. But CDB has known these douches a week and still did whatever they could to try and save them.

I've been meaning to ask this:  what's great that we've seen about Morgan?  I seriously don't remember anything he did that should make me excited that he's coming back.  Somebody please remind me.  Thanks

He single-handedly held down that little town, with some of the most awesome booby-trapping I've ever seen. I could say more, but it would be more appropriate in the Morgan thread.

• Love 18

Noah's death is going to be one of those TV moments that will haunt me the rest of my days. And Steven Yeun did some damn fine Vivien Leigh acting with his reactions in that scene.

I wonder if Rick has a little calendar where he marks off the number of days he's managed to keep his white T-shirt clean.

If the season finale is more intense than tonight's episode was, I'm going to need a sedative with a Crazy Cheese chaser.

• Love 20

If they'd never teased this "connection," and just had Carol learn about her through Sam, I think I'd be more accepting. Having it be about Rick and his hormones and his Shane-breakdown sends some sort of offputting ambiguous message for me - are we only supposed to care that she's being abused because Rick has the hots for her?

...no? At least, I'd hope not?

Textually, they haven't really teased any special connection; I don't care what the actress says on Talking Dead, she has to sell her character somehow, and I don't care about headlines that have the main goal of securing clicks, like "Meet the New Mrs. Grimes!". The text, as presented to us, has shown us only a nice lady with two kids and a possibly abusive husband, who's shared a handful of scenes and a kiss on the cheek with Rick, and who Rick is attracted to. That's all. What the show has given us hasn't really teased a deeper connection than a mutual "dang, he/she is hot!". It may go the way of the deep luuuuuuurve, I don't know, but so far it really hasn't.

To my eyes, at least.

• Love 10

The writing for Gabriel has been awful. It's a waste of Seth Gilliam's talent. When you create a character that is a coward and a liar and has no redeeming qualities, no one will care if he lives or dies. Right now, it's a waste of screen time.

• Love 18

That was such an odd scene. He was like something out of an educational film from 1950. I had a hard time believing he'd be so pro-Abraham, instead of being a petty little shit, like Aidan's d-bag friend.

Naw, I think Tobin's good people too, it's just the culture of ASZ was just starting to turn sour, the easy life lead to laziness which lead to a cowardice far more severe than Eugene's.

The walkers made mincemeat out of Noah and Glenn knows it.

But unless Eugene tucked the solar parts into the backpack, they're not returning with them - will there be a return trip for them?

Oh fuck yeah Eugene stuck 'em in there like the boss he is!

• Love 11

Abraham was pretty bad ass saving Francine and killing those walkers.

The writing for Gabriel has been awful. It's a waste of Seth Gilliam's talent. When you create a character that is a coward and a liar and has no redeeming qualities, no one will care if he lives or dies. Right now, it's a waste of screen time.

They did the same to Chad Coleman. I don't like talented actors being wasted.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 20

I've been meaning to ask this:  what's great that we've seen about Morgan?  I seriously don't remember anything he did that should make me excited that he's coming back.  Somebody please remind me.  Thanks.

The actor who plays him is good, but since he's not available to do the show on a regular basis, I've lost interest.

Didn't they kill Noah because the actor got another job?    why is it so surprising he dies?    they don't write people off the show for the most part.   You leave, you die.    

So, Beth, who did so much to free Noah is dead. Tyrese, after pushing Noah to keep going and making sure he was okay and safe going into his old home, dead. Now, Noah is dead. It's not the end of the world but it really sucks when you make character sacrifices seem pointless.

Well, look on the bright side - no one else will have to die to save his ass.

• Love 9

WHY NOAH!! WHY!!!! I loved his character! Of course he dies, when he was to learn architecture and construction.

Of course FPP has to come up with his bloody "satan" theory - the irony being that this entire episode, "satan" was every member of Deanna's group. You stupid show - you kill Noah, but not this ungrateful coward. Please.

I think you guys called it about Pete.

Surprised Carol was that mean to Sam, though he is an irritating kid.

Glenn - I wish he put a bullet in the head of that guy. Other guy (Deanna's son) deserved it - but what a brutal way to go.

I hope Tara is okay, but man Eugene - you suddenly got some cohones.

And Abraham - is the best! And the punch that Francine gave that asshole - a thing of beauty.

Rick's group just needs to get rid of the mess in Alexandria and take over. They are the only worthy ones.

Also - WHY YOU KILL NOAH!!! BASTARDS!

I think Carol is trying really hard not to care too much about any kid.  After Sophia and the two girls she tried to help.  i thought it was well done because the kid kind of ignored it, like maybe he knew she didn't mean it (although personally I'm not so sure).  

I wondered why they didn't kill Aiden too although they were low on ammo.

With you on Francine.  

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 8

Naw, I think Tobin's good people too, it's just the culture of ASZ was just starting to turn sour, the easy life lead to laziness which lead to a cowardice far more severe than Eugene's.

Yup. I think with how things went down on that site, Tobin realized how lax and unprepared they had been, and knew Abe would do a much better job of running things. It takes a big man to put aside his pride and admit someone else is better equipped to do their job. I like Tobin alright.

• Love 4

Yeah, it's OK to start him off as a coward.  He did have a moment in the church when he deliberately left after Michonne and Carl (of course, he was the reason the zombies surrounded the church, but still).  I had been hoping to see an arc with him where he becomes more competent and loyal but it doesn't look like that now.  He traveled with these people for a couple of weeks!  Just grrr.

though, he did start off talking about Satan and then had the crazy eyes, so maybe he's gone off the deep end.

Edited by raven
  • Love 6

The actor who plays him is good, but since he's not available to do the show on a regular basis, I've lost interest.

Didn't they kill Noah because the actor got another job?    why is it so surprising he dies?    they don't write people off the show for the most part.   You leave, you die.    

Not everyone follows every bit of casting news out there. People just might not know he has another job. The actor on Talking Dead said he didn't know he was being killed off.

• Love 8

Yup. I think with how things went down on that site, Tobin realized how lax and unprepared they had been, and knew Abe would do a much better job of running things. It takes a big man to put aside his pride and admit someone else is better equipped to do their job. I like Tobin alright.

I could maybe buy that Tobin would wake up to his mistakes, it's just that the scene was so clumsily written, like Maggie was about to walk over to the camera and give the viewers a quiz on what they've learned.

• Love 8

Sorry, messed up my editing.

I think Carol is trying really hard not to care too much about any kid.  After Sophia and the two girls she tried to help.  i thought it was well done because the kid kind of ignored it, like maybe he knew she didn't mean it (although personally I'm not so sure).  

I wondered why they didn't kill Aiden too although they were low on ammo.

With you on Francine.  

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 1