Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 3/6/2020 at 10:17 AM, GiveMeSpace said:

I have seen that commercial and I totally agree. I have had several commercials over the years drive me to madness and just googled and found other people talking about it in different places. Right now I am hating on that commercial that plays Bob Segar's Old Time Rock and Roll song. I love Bob Segar but I detest that song and the faux Tom Cruise they have dancing to it.

omg i love Bob Seger.  Man you just took me back to high school days.  I loved his music?  Ditto Cruise/song.  Turn the Page was my song, until i saw this guy i was interested in slow dancing with a supposed friend...drats that song is cursed to me now hehee.  My other fav fav was Beautiful Loser.

Edited by Tammee
To add
  • Love 2

People were expressing surprise at Joy’s age in the main topic, and I was going to post this and decided it should go here. I recently had a similar surprise with Rachel Maddow. On a show last week, she starting off talking about how she was an AIDS activist at age 23 in 1996 and I was really amazed. I thought she looked anywhere from late 20’s to mid-30’s, but she’s almost 50… I guess it could just be that TV is a cushy job, but wow!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Sigh - why do huge glasses and masks accentuate the bags under the eyes?

Maggiemae how are you? You had posted a few weeks ago you had had lunch with someone who had been in contact with someone who died from the virus.

• Love 2

Whoopi asked the panel today who they would choose to quarantine with. 

I would choose Jason Mamoa. He is funny and centered and charming, and he does the dishes, wipes down the counters and takes out the trash without being reminded. There are a few more reasons but this is a family-friendly thread. 

PS: Lisa Bonet is proof that the magic pussy exists. She landed Lenny Kravitz AND Jason Mamoa? Hey, leave some for the rest of us.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Maggiemae how are you? You had posted a few weeks ago you had had lunch with someone who had been in contact with someone who died from the virus.

Thanks Blondie! I'm doing fine but still still under stay at home warning since 2/28 and through the rest of April, for now.

Just happy I finally got some TP and masks....hope you and all here are safe as well.

• Love 10

@Tammee  Your statement made me think of something.  I program events for a university and I am doing a series of zoom events so I am doing a bit of research here 🙂.  I am trying to keep it very silly yet also offer some educational stuff.  Would you watch a zoom on how to trim your bangs/cut your hair/color or ask questions of a stylist if you had done it and it needs to be fixed?  Or ways to transition what  you have so it looks ok until you can see your stylist?  Several of my staff have already told me they have made  unfortunate hair decisions while isolating.  HA!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

@Tammee  Your statement made me think of something.  I program events for a university and I am doing a series of zoom events so I am doing a bit of research here 🙂.  I am trying to keep it very silly yet also offer some educational stuff.  Would you watch a zoom on how to trim your bangs/cut your hair/color or ask questions of a stylist if you had done it and it needs to be fixed?  Or ways to transition what  you have so it looks ok until you can see your stylist?  Several of my staff have already told me they have made  unfortunate hair decisions while isolating.  HA!

Just don't do the Zoom in your bathroom with your hubby showering in the see-through shower stall behind you....Did you all see that video! OMG...Hilarious. And embarrassing for that couple.

• LOL 4
18 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Just don't do the Zoom in your bathroom with your hubby showering in the see-through shower stall behind you....Did you all see that video! OMG...Hilarious. And embarrassing for that couple.

THAT was hilarious!!!!!  It took me a minute to see what the issue was.  OMG.  HA!

• LOL 1
On 4/21/2020 at 12:09 PM, Natalie68 said:

Heya Nat, yes for sure i would watch that.  Im one to get the most info i can before/if ever i were to try it.  Im pretty basic, would prob just watch the one on cuts.  I dont perm/color/product...but the other i would @Natalie68

On 4/21/2020 at 5:37 PM, Blissfool said:

One way to go viral ....tadaaaa! Rimshot!!  🤪🥁 Hehe

• LOL 1
On 4/21/2020 at 7:37 PM, Blissfool said:

LOL! I missed that. Does anyone have a link ??? Sounds hilarious! 

On 9/17/2020 Rainyhawk said:

I definitely do remember that--always loved Andy Williams singing (didn't recall the attorney co habitation part though).  But the other thing I remember about it is the hilarious SNL skit about it (though perhaps in bad taste-as is often the case with SNL). I won't go any further into the details but it was kind of funny at the time!

I had forgotten that until you mentioned it. Our circle of friends rotated the hosting of watch parties during SNL's first season and never missed an episode. Video of The Claudine Longet Ski Invitational (slo-mo downhill slalom footage accented with gunshots and pointed commentary) has been wiped from the internet, only the transcript remains. 

The Aspen PD bungled the two pieces of evidence that would have ensured a felony conviction.

She snorted coke in a public bathroom for hours that night (in a bar) but the PD took a blood sample w/o a warrant. She said their relationship was fine; her diary which was confiscated w/o a warrant revealed that Spider ended their relationship weeks earlier and finally gave her a 21-day notice to vacate after she kept refusing to move out. She shot him on the 21st night.

Spider was trying to be a gentleman about the break-up because her three children lived with them in his home during the relationship. She said the gun went off when he was showing her how to use it; the autopsy showed that he was shot while bending over 6 feet away (while he was shaving before a late night date with another woman).

Adding insult to injury she was allowed to have her jail cell painted pink and to serve her 30 days "at a time of her choosing," which took years. But she promptly paid the $25 fine! Pffftt. On the hate meter, she was the Jody Arias of the '70s. 

‘S.N.L.’ Is Sorry: A Brief History of the Show’s (Sort Of) Apologies

The French pop singer and actress Claudine Longet was arrested in 1976 for shooting and killing her lover, the pro skier Vladimir “Spider” Sabich. Longet claimed the shooting was an accident, which “S.N.L.” spoofed near the end of its first season.

The sketch featuring stock footage of skiers wiping out on the slopes, with overdubbed gunfire, as the TV announcers (Chevy Chase and Jane Curtin) commented on a strange wave of “accidental” skier shootings. “That looked almost like skeet shooting!” Curtin says. “You must mean ski shooting!” Chase replies.

Longet’s lawyer wasn’t laughing, and he sent “S.N.L.” a cease-and-desist letter. In the following week’s episode, the announcer Don Pardo read a statement on air - the show’s first public apology: “It is desirable to correct any misunderstanding that a suggestion was made that, in fact, a crime had been committed. The satire was fictitious and its intent only humorous. This is a statement of apology if the material was misinterpreted.” Longet was later convicted of negligent homicide and sentenced to 30 days in jail.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/27/arts/television/snl-apologies.html

https://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75rski.phtml 

• Useful 2

THIS IS NOT the place to share who you voted for; your feelings about the election, etc.

Warnings and/or suspensions will be issued if you violate this policy.  You all have been here a long time and are supposed to know better.

I saw Alec on a late night show years ago, he talked about his wife being from Spain and he imitated her accent. It was cute, he can be personable when he wants to be. A poster somewhere mentioned that it was Letterman's show in 2013. (Have you seen It's Complicated (2009) with Alec and Meryl Streep and Steve Martin? OMG, funny, funny movie). 

Lipstick Alley is always good. The thread at the first link begins with info from the poster who produced the original Hilary receipts. April 8, 2020. Second link Dec 27, 2020.

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/hilaria-baldwin-formerly-known-as-hilary-thomas-the-tea-on-this-deranged-liar-extraordinaire.3395873/

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/hilaria-baldwin-lying-about-being-spanish-meet-hillary.4239228/

I Want More Hilaria Baldwin

https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/hilaria-baldwin-spanish-identity

How She Was Able To Reap The Rewards

https://stylecaster.com/hilaria-baldwin-spanish-accent/

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 1

The purpose of the Small Talk topic is to have a place within the forum for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion; including but not limited to discussion of the show hosts. 

NEW RULE: While we appreciate that Meghan McCain generates a lot of discussion, mentions of her in threads where she is not relevant--like those dedicated to other hosts--tend to derail conversations. Please keep discussion of Meghan McCain confined to the weekly episode topics (in relation to things she may have said on the show) and to her thread. Posts about Meghan McCain (and nothing else) in threads where they don't belong will be met with disciplinary measures.

8 minutes ago, Axie said:

What Whoopie said about the vaccine is true but too bad she couldn’t have said it a little more coherently.  I’m getting my first shot tomorrow and I’m oddly excited about it.

That's what I've been saying to all my friends! Never have I been so excited about getting jabbed with a needle!

I got mine on Tuesday; Pfizer, and I didn't even feel it! No side effects the day of; arm was a wee achy yesterday, but I'm just dandy today. My tiredness is due to lack of sleep, and nothing to do with the vaccine.

Good Luck!!!!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's what I've been saying to all my friends! Never have I been so excited about getting jabbed with a needle!

I got mine on Tuesday; Pfizer, and I didn't even feel it! No side effects the day of; arm was a wee achy yesterday, but I'm just dandy today. My tiredness is due to lack of sleep, and nothing to do with the vaccine.

Good Luck!!!!

I also received my first shot (Pfizer) Tuesday and also only had a sore arm. I became eligible when my state (WV) included the 50-59 year olds late last week.  I was honestly surprised to be called so soon.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Good Luck!!!!

Thanks!!  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I got my second (Moderna) shot 3 weeks ago. I had a fever overnight and felt crappy for a few hours in the morning but then fine by afternoon. It was worth it!

My mother got the first Moderna shot when she was in the hospital recovering from Covid. And now that she is due for the second shot our county is no longer getting the Moderna vaccines so we are waiting to hear what she is supposed to do now.

11 minutes ago, bannana said:

I get mine on Saturday and hubby gets his next week!

What's this I hear that it will months and months before Canada's healthy population will get their vaccine? I though we were the only failures with the vaccine rollout?

A year ago, we were all running amok trying to get hard-to-find toilet paper and COVID tests. Now we're running amok trying to get vaccinated with a scarcity of vaccines. Wonder what next March will bring for us  ? LOL!  Hopefully we will be running amok trying to book crowded hotels, sold out theater tickets, sold out airline tickets...things will be back to somewhat normal.

• Love 5

From your fingers, Lets.  At least things look a lot more optimistic right now, although who knows what may come. My daughter is due to give birth this week. My husband and I are fully vaxxed (along with a TDAP booster) and she and her husband have each gotten one shot, so we are feeling pretty safe about seeing them. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just got back from my second dose and I wanna dance like my man, Daler! Take a look!

I got my second dose Saturday and Sunday I felt like crap. Be prepared.  It was mostly body aches and just overall feeling blah.  The  next day I was fine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I got my second dose Saturday and Sunday I felt like crap. Be prepared.  It was mostly body aches and just overall feeling blah.  The  next day I was fine.

Yeah, I stocked up on anti-nausea meds and soups and saltine crackers. Have acetaminophen for the aches pain, etc.

Just now, RealHousewife said:

I'm scheduling my vaccines on weekdays so I can enjoy my weekend. lol

Heh. I took the first available, which was in a Tuesday.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm scheduling my vaccines on weekdays so I can enjoy my weekend. lol

I'm actually  glad they called me Saturday so I had Sunday to recuperate. I wouldn't have missed work because of how I felt but it does make you want to just lay in bed. But it's worth it because I now feel safe enough to go out to eat which I haven't done in over a year.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

The other day I mentioned my daughter was in labor.  If anyone is interested she had a boy, the most beautiful baby ever. 😊

Awesome!  I remember when my first grandchild was born and I honestly believed he was the most beautiful child ever born into this world 🙂 .   If your daughter needs some name ideas:

Covid baby names

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

The other day I mentioned my daughter was in labor.  If anyone is interested she had a boy, the most beautiful baby ever. 😊

Congratulations!  Hope you are able to visit & hold him. 

• Love 5
On 4/9/2021 at 12:33 PM, Haleth said:

awwww love that!  Big Congrats!

• Love 2

Replying here since my post is Joan specific. 

52 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

I think so too.  Joan was from that old skool era of insult comics.  Don Rickles.  I still to this day think he was very harsh.  But honest and said with love lol.  The insult comedy dog is another one

Joan could be hysterically funny, but some of her work was too mean for my tastes. She was apparently sweet IRL though. She was kind of abrasive on Apprentice to Brande Roderick, but even Brandi said Joan was sweet off camera. Brande complimented a ring she was wearing, and Joan took it off her finger and gave it to her. 

9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Joan could be hysterically funny, but some of her work was too mean for my tastes. She was apparently sweet IRL though.

I loved Joan's daytime talk show.  She was a great interviewer. She was funny without being mean.

I have mixed feelings about her comedy.  She was very funny even without the meanness but I will admit I did laugh at some of her insults.  

I don't have a problem with Kathryn Hahn portraying her in a movie.  I like Sara Silverman but I don't see her as Joan.  

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

She was apparently sweet IRL though. She was kind of abrasive on Apprentice

I remember her being very angry and abrasive on Apprentice during a specific event.  I can't remember exactly what it was about, but it had to do with her daughter Melissa, who was also on the show.  In Joan's view, someone had not treated Melissa as she thought she should be treated.  Melissa showed her true colors--really reeking with venom and anger.  I was shocked at how mean she could be.  Joan took up for her and defended her totally, even though Melissa was completely over the top in her anger.  Melissa showed herself to be a spoiled brat, with Joan enabling her.  Melissa was later asked on another talk show if she regretted how she behaved and she said no.  

• Useful 1