Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

Brought over from the MEEghan McCain thread :  

Ok @GiveMeSpace and @atlantaloves I am out of the show.   I will stop it from recording.  I have felt a bit dirty watching.  Don't get me wrong I love a good fight and tension on talk shows but I can't support a show that has a panel member who is so dismissive of the other 1/2 of the country while bleating about how the left needs to understand the poor downtrodden conservatives.  I will however still come here to bitch about it.  HA!  I also need to know when there is a twitter war because I am all over that shit.  

I am all for having all kinds of political opinions on the show but Meghan has not proven to be a good representation of other opinions.  She cannot do it without being rude, condescending, or downright hostile to other panel members or the audience.  PLEASE bring on an adult full time like Ana Navarro or Tara (last name escapes me) or SE Cupp.  Or really any conservative that isn't a raging asshole that takes viewers for granted.

• Love 16

Should we have a Not Watching The View thread? Natalie-I love the Twitter stuff, too. I am not on Twitter but I read it. If this is this most important and influential political show on tv, each and every one of us is fucked. Most of the damn thing is commercials. This show doesn't value women. When I think of the women who have had abortions listening to Meghan screech about believing abortion is murder, I want to cry. Women deserve better. These are angry and stressful times. I don't want to become enraged at the beginning of every day. I want to be informed and I want to hear reasonable discussions from informed women. Boycotting the show is self care at this point.

• Love 19

Okay that's it, I'm totally through with the View after over 20 years, but will check in every day with you guys and gals just to hate on Meee-gan and to hear the latest. But I tell ya, I feel I have to walk the walk if I am going to talk the talk. That nasty bitch is just too much for me to deal with every day. I will miss My Joy, but enough already. That crap MM pulled about those dying children did it.  Fuck her. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, falltime said:

Correct. They need the whole week off for 4th of July.

Right.  Because it's soooooo loooong til they get their whole month of vacation in Aug.

• Love 3

I wasn’t sure where to post this, because I decided it might take the weekly thread off-topic even if it’s in response to posts there. I’d rank the co-hosts as:

1. Joy

2. Sunny

3. Ana

4. Abby

5. Whoopi

---- (gap)

999. Dog Crap

1000. Meghan McCain

I’d honestly like to see Sunny talk to Whoopi on an equal level just one time. Whoopi gets away with treating Sunny like garbage because she has connections with Disney. Without that over their heads forcing Sunny to hold back for the sake of her job, Sunny would crush her. Whoopi would be screaming unintelligibly as the camera swooped to break. I think Sunny is one of the most intelligent people they’ve had on this show, much more intelligent and unemotional than Rosie O’Donnell, for example, and even O’Donnell made Whoopi look like a joke.

• LOL 5
  • Love 13
On 6/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, GiveMeSpace said:

most important and influential political show on tv

The Most Important and Influential Political Show on TV brought to you by... "View Your Deals!"   Classy.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 6/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, GiveMeSpace said:

When I think of the women who have had abortions listening to Meghan screech about believing abortion is murder, I want to cry.

And maybe worse, parents...a mother who has to undergo a heartbreaking surgical procedure knowing her life may be at stake but that her near-term fetus can never survive...and some know-nothing entitled SNOT calls it "infanticide" again and again.  Unacceptable!

• Love 11
On 7/12/2019 at 11:22 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

1. Joy

2. Sunny

3. Ana

4. Abby

5. Whoopi

---- (gap)

999. Dog Crap

1000. Meghan McCain

I actually pick up dog crap every day (2 90# dogs) and it's not so bad.  I put them in this order:

1. Joy and
  2. Ana neck-and-neck for different reasons
  3. Sunny
  4. Abby
  5. That's all, right?
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

LOL -  June 8th was  Best Friends Day - and I went to lunch yesterday with mine. 

One mentioned it WAS BFD and - wth? LOL

Being BFFS forever means one rolls with it. The 4 of us went for pizza (and wine) and did a tour of our homes we grew up in - like over 50 years ago. Lot's of fun.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, TheView said:

Ladies Who Punch is getting more material in the paperback edition. 

Is this true?  Don't make me buy it again.  I have the audiobook (free from the digital library) but I bought (2) copies of the hardback--Amazon had it on my doorstep and my best friend's the day it was published.  (I had a lot of stuff going on (life) and haven't finished either the book or the audio...egad!)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Is this true?  Don't make me buy it again.  I have the audiobook (free from the digital library) but I bought (2) copies of the hardback--Amazon had it on my doorstep and my best friend's the day it was published.  (I had a lot of stuff going on (life) and haven't finished either the book or the audio...egad!)

See in the bottom right corner. 

9781250251985.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

We can chit chat about anything here right?

I work with a lot of right wing people who think being a straight white male is harder than anything, and that reverse racism is worse...

This board seems to be full of posters who are more my kind of people (“woke”), so I thought I’d vent about that here if it’s okay. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
40 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I work with a lot of right wing people who think being a straight white male is harder than anything, and that reverse racism is worse...

I was semi joking with a friend earlier how long before straight white males are a protected class.

• Love 6

The Small Talk thread must follow site rules; it is not a place to dive into political discussion that wouldn't be allowed in other threads. The site's Politics Policy linked here still applies.

The posts that violated this policy have been removed. Thank you.

Well the interview on The Late Show was AMAZING! But then Hillary and Chelsea were the only guests. And Rachel is on tonight!

So at least I got to see a very interesting and informative interview where the guest got to speak without interruption and without commercials every two minutes.

• Love 8
On 9/30/2019 at 2:45 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Does anyone know what happened to Apprentice79?  I loved her posts & notice that she hasn't been on any of the forums for a couple of months.  I don't think she was banned, so ...

I've been thinking about her too. I checked her profile out a couple weeks ago and I think the last interaction she had with this website was in July. ☹️

Edited by GoldenGirl90
On 10/13/2019 at 12:58 AM, suomi said:

Woot. I became agnostic 40 years ago and atheist about 10 years after that. I do right because it feels right - virtue is its own reward. Didn't come out of the closet until I retired 5 years ago because until then I had to worry about bosses/co-workers. Now, fuck it. 26% of Americans identify as atheist and it's the fastest growing "denomination." But, the amount of hatred and judgement after I came out has been a real eye opener. What happened to love thy neighbor and love thine enemy as thyself? I rest my case, LOL.

23 hours ago, ilovemymtv said:

So true.  MEAgain says that grief is the last taboo.  Nope,  Declaring you are an atheist is.  I have been an atheist for 40 years, but because of my work, could never say so.

15 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Yeah.  I never said it at work (but I retired* in 1994).

*Medical=Lupus

13 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Yep.  BUT - it's becoming more accepted, especially with the younger people - 20's and 30's.   I call myself a Secular Humanist instead of atheist.  Put simply, it means that morals and ethics do not have to be connected to a religious set of constructs, or a deity that will punish you if you step out of line.  You can be good just because you're a good person.  

I tried saying I was an agnostic one time during a hospital registration that was being done. I think telling the woman I was a murderer would have gone over better. I'm stuck in the south. She rudely asked me what agnostic even was. I got a bit flustered and just switched to methodist (I don't remember if spiritual was a choice or not) to shut her up so she'd move onto the next question. I haven't been in a church in over 25 years and haven't practiced any religion in that long either. I was spiritual for a long time and finally decided on being agnostic. I only discovered secular humanist existed a few years ago.

I had to tell some family to quit sending me religious stuff after I received a women's bible from them through Amazon for Xmas and had a video on YT recommended to me by the title of Jesus Over Depression. The guy who did the video was a young male evangelist with a sex scandal going on which could still be causing issues. He was using his position to lure young women as young as late teens into bed letting them think it could turn into more while having a fiance at home. The aunt who I made the request to stop with the religion got so offended wrote a FB message in response which was an almost 70 year old woman throwing a fit along with a bit of an attempted guilt trip.

I had gotten help from two people when crafting the message I originally sent asking them to stop using wording that wasn't rude but firm. I was having trouble think of what to write and wanted input from people not close to the situation. I'm glad I did that and put thought into what I sent even though what I received back seemed to be written in the heat of the moment. I didn't reply to what was sent to me even though it showed that I read it. Eventually the next time I was contacted and saw them in person the religious stuff stopped but that situation changed the relationship which had only been restarted outside of FB messages a year before after my Mom died. I've only had contact with them a couple times on the phone and through FB after they were at my home last year from a state over for a late birthday thing they wanted to do at my home. For 10 minutes before leaving they tried pressuring/emotionally manipulating me into contacting my asshole father who I haven't talked to since the early 90's and haven't seen outside of seeing him from the peanut gallery during a child support hearing thing I went to with my Mom once during a Summer. I call him an asshole for a reason and for me to give someone a nickname like that which I repeat to others isn't something I normally do.

• Love 6

There is so much ignorance on the subject, esp in the media.  Writer/actress Julia Sweeney was on a ET/Access Hollywood type show promoting something when the host asked her "Why are you so resentful to God?"  Julia quickly retorted "How can I be resentful to something that doesn't exist?"

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

There is so much ignorance on the subject, esp in the media.  Writer/actress Julia Sweeney was on a ET/Access Hollywood type show promoting something when the host asked her "Why are you so resentful to God?"  Julia quickly retorted "How can I be resentful to something that doesn't exist?"

I've been told I hate God.  And my response was you clearly don't understand atheism.   

I don't have a problem with anyone with believing in whatever religion they practice. The problem starts when they have a problem with me not practicing their religion.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I've been told I hate God.  And my response was you clearly don't understand atheism. 

Not only do I not hate anyone's god, I find most of them and their stories very interesting.  I loved and believed wholeheartedly in my Catholic religion and have no negative feelings or memories of those 25 years; I simply do not believe.  I like most of the rituals in the old religions and am even fascinated by the hate-mongering of many of the so-called religions in the U.S.  

I made the leap to atheism without stopping at agnosticism because I felt that I had been so devout when I was a believer in my religion, I should be as solid in my new belief.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Not only do I not hate anyone's god, I find most of them and their stories very interesting. 

I find it interesting that they all have the same stories that I learned reading Greek Mythology in junior high school; they just change the names.  They are actually secular parables about how to behave in a civilized world and treat your fellow humans and animals, and I follow them, unlike some of the ultra-religious people I know who do what they want and just ask for forgiveness later. 

I was raised Presbyterian and in Grade 9 you go to confirmation class before you can join the church.  We had a brand new junior minister teaching it for the first time.  It happened that right before confirmation classes started, there was an "after school special" about a 10 yr old Jewish girl and Catholic boy who were friends and snuck into each other's places of worship. The camera panned slowly up the statuary etc., from a child's eye-height as the religious words and music played.  This still sticks with me - I thought worshipping idols was a no no.  We asked guitar-playing Bruce - "how do we know we're supposed to be Presbyterian, not Methodist, Anglican, Jewish, Catholic or Holy Rollers?"  He organized trips to ~8 different churches, including Catholic services in English and full services in Latin, and one synagogue, which involved an extra class on a Saturday that we were all anxious to attend and learn. It was most illuminating.  It was also the year that two of my uncles (one 50, the other newly retired) and the 40-yr old mother of my best friend died. I chose atheism without stopping at agnosticism.  Not from ignorance, but from reading up on all the religions.  Occasionally I toy with Jehovah's Witnessess or Mormons who come to my door to convert me to the only religion they know anything about.  They're the ones who want to get off my porch first.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I find it interesting that they all have the same stories that I learned reading Greek Mythology in junior high school; they just change the names. 

And yet they all think "their God" is the only one.

33 minutes ago, deirdra said:

They are actually secular parables about how to behave in a civilized world and treat your fellow humans and animals, and I follow them, unlike some of the ultra-religious people I know who do what they want and just ask for forgiveness later. 

I just finished reading a book called Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart.  The takeaway? You can be a good person and do good things without doing it to please a God.  In my experience the nicest most honest people I know are atheists.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

And yet they all think "their God" is the only one.

I just finished reading a book called Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart.  The takeaway? You can be a good person and do good things without doing it to please a God.  In my experience the nicest most honest people I know are atheists.

I’m not an atheist, but I hate the whole people of faith=good, and everyone else=bad. 

I’ve known good and bad folks who are religious and not. I’ve noticed most of the atheists I’ve met are more intelligent and better at debating. I know so many Christians and people of other faiths who can’t make an argument without bringing in the Bible and Jesus or whatever religious book or prophet they believe in. 

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, deirdra said:

This still sticks with me - I thought worshipping idols was a no no. 

Okay...12 years of Catholic school: 1946-1958.  Happy years, not one nun* slapped, slugged, beat a kid.  We were taught early on that we would be accused of "worshipping" idols and learned that we weren't "worshipping" anyone but God...okay, the Holy Trinity.  Those statues and our religious medals were simply reminders, something to look at and contemplate.  STILL, the (mostly) Baptists in my neighborhood tried their tactics on us. 

Now TV evangelists sell the various things they attacked us for.  Sell?  Well...a donation, of course.  Many religious people display all kinds of artifacts--not remembering The Great Sin of the Past: worshipping idols!

*They could make us feel guilty with a simple glance.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:
5 hours ago, deirdra said:

This still sticks with me - I thought worshipping idols was a no no. 

Okay...12 years of Catholic school: 1946-1958.  Happy years, not one nun* slapped, slugged, beat a kid.  We were taught early on that we would be accused of "worshipping" idols and learned that we weren't "worshipping" anyone but God...okay, the Holy Trinity.  Those statues and our religious medals were simply reminders, something to look at and contemplate.  STILL, the (mostly) Baptists in my neighborhood tried their tactics on us. 

I was in Catholic school from grade 3 through grade 11 and only got taught by nuns for 2 of those years.  I admit they taught us a LOT of prayers 😉 but they sure weren't teaching us that the statuary etc in the church were idols for us to worship!  I didn't realize anyone might have thought this was true for Catholics until long after my Catholic school (and generally being Catholic) days were over.  

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

"Farrow ... Yale Law ... New York Bar ... doctoral research at Oxford University, Rhodes Scholar."

That really makes me question the comments about Frank Sinatra's being his "real dad."

Sinatra was multi-faceted, extremely intelligent and a huge reader who immersed himself in politics and current events, which is an aspect that wasn't very well known. In his private life, one of the quickest ways to earn his scorn (or a knuckle sandwich) was mispronouncing words or using them in the wrong context. That's why his diction, when singing, was always impeccable. 

Here's one of his biggest hits, It Was A Very Good Year, recorded in one take in 1965, arranged and conducted by Gordon Jenkins. They did some of their best work together. Watch and listen to how Mr Sinister pronounces the end of each word, especially those that are pluralized, and how he says twenty one instead of twenny one, like too many vocalists do. He recorded this when he was 50, twenty years older than Ronan is now, but I think their resemblance is very strong here; it's in their fleeting expressions, and their eyes, and the moment right before their smiles break wide open. 

We were raised in music stores and they forced us to appreciate all kinds of music and I was not in favor of that at all. We had a very hard time keeping this album in stock. On the days when we got 50 in our shipment we'd call 48 customers on the waiting list. Now I treasure those days even though at one point they made me throw away my Beatles albums!!! Bastards!

Edited by suomi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I think there is no longer any doubt that Ronan Farrow is Frank Sinatra's son.  Mia has pretty much intimated it, but just look at the man.  

I am guessing that Ronan would prefer this parentage (not that Frank is a great role model either) over Woody, since he believes that Woody molested his sister Dylan.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I didn't realize anyone might have thought this was true for Catholics until long after my Catholic school (and generally being Catholic) days were over.  

The "worshipping idols"criticisms slowed down in the 60s...perhaps after the changes brought about by Vatican II.  Masses were in English then and maybe Catholics weren't so mysterious (and dangerous). 

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, bannana said:

I think there is no longer any doubt that Ronan Farrow is Frank Sinatra's son.  Mia has pretty much intimated it, but just look at the man.  

I am guessing that Ronan would prefer this parentage (not that Frank is a great role model either) over Woody, since he believes that Woody molested his sister Dylan.

Just looking at his eyes & his profile, reminds me immensely of Frank...

• Love 5

I see the resemblance much more in video rather than still photos because expression is revealed in moving images.

That recording studio video above, that was just before he married Mia. Comparing their facial structure when they are similar ages is eerie. Seeing himself in her could be interpreted as part of his attraction to her, whether or not that was conscious. He had been where she was but she wasn't yet where he was at. I do see young Mia in Ronan's face, and young Mia resembles young Frank.

They met when he was 49 and she was 19; they dated for 2 years before getting married, which lasted 2 years. He was her first sexual partner. Some of us never get over our "first;" add your first being Frank Sinatra to that equation. She brought her cat and a couple cans of cat food to their first overnight liaison in Palm Springs, thinking that she and the cat would sleep in the guestroom. The cat slept alone.

In addition to the age difference he was too volatile and unpredictable for her, she was too young and unsophisticated for him. They had very few common interests. After the dust settled following their divorce they stayed in touch and frequently turned to each other in the best and worst times that followed. His long/last marriage to Barbara Marx didn't get in their way as much as Barbara thought it did. 

When Mia chopped off her long, long hair while she was starring in Peyton Place on TV, his ex-wife Ava Gardner (who truly was "the one who got away" in his mind) said "I always knew Frank would end up in bed with a boy." (Who looked like his young self. Hmm).

Edited by suomi
clarity: changed pronoun to proper name
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, suomi said:

They met when he was 49 and she was 19; they dated for 2 years before getting married, which lasted 2 years. He was her first sexual partner.

There are many (I'm one of them) who find it difficult to believe any of St. Mia's movie-magazine-type confessionals.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

There are many (I'm one of them) who find it difficult to believe any of St. Mia's movie-magazine-type confessionals.  

ITA. I don't care for her, never have. I saw one of her movies when it came out because I enjoyed the book Rosemary's Baby. I thought the feverish adopting of so many kids (let alone the fact that nearly all had disabilities) was something akin to hoarding. Let alone betraying her friend Dory Previn by having an affair with her husband Andre, and getting pregnant. Which I think lends credence to the possibility that she would not find it difficult to betray Woody with Frank.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, suomi said:

Let alone betraying her friend Dory Previn by having an affair with her husband Andre, and getting pregnant.

This alone showed me her true colors in the late 60s/70s.  Poor tiny pale waif needs a big strong man to protect her...and those men who want to believe they're Prince Charmings fall for it way too often.  Each of her men learned who was the stronger in the relationship.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

For those who don't want to see DJ on the show, why is then okay for Chelsea Clinton to be on the show? Or any other offspring of a celebrity or political figure?? IOW, where is it written that any guest of the show must have a career in politics?

Because JR is an ass who kills large game for the eff of it.  I also don't think someone who trolls on twitter etc needs a platform.  

But don't they all troll on twitter and/or instagram?? That's all we hear these days...and seems to be the basis of several topics.

10 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

For those who don't want to see DJ on the show, why is then okay for Chelsea Clinton to be on the show? Or any other offspring of a celebrity or political figure?? IOW, where is it written that any guest of the show must have a career in politics?

Because JR is an ass who kills large game for the eff of it.  I also don't think someone who trolls on twitter etc needs a platform.  

Large game hunters who pose with the dead bodies of their kills disgust me especially when it's an endangered species. 

• Love 17
22 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Large game hunters who pose with the dead bodies of their kills disgust me especially when it's an endangered species. 

And that's your right to be disgusted, but I'll bet there have been other guests with equally disgusting hobbies, habits, etc. And since this is a show called the View, I prefer to hear from all walks of life...good, bad or indifferent...whether it's political or not. But that's just me😐

• Love 1