Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

You evil doers reporting Jill, how dare you take away her money for perms, makeup and green eyeliner? How can you guys sleep at night?

Back to Jill. No mention of all the expensive instruments that they "lost!?????" Did she suddenly forget about them?

As for the car she shouldn't get too excited. While we were shopping at a Jeep dealership, my Ford was hit in the parking lot. I was furious. The dealership said they would have my car fixed. So I took it in and they gave me a loaner....a Hyundai. Thank goodness I only had it 3 days the transmission was slipping and it was only a 2016. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

You evil doers reporting Jill, how dare you take away her money for perms, makeup and green eyeliner? How can you guys sleep at night?

Back to Jill. No mention of all the expensive instruments that they "lost!?????" Did she suddenly forget about them?

As for the car she shouldn't get too excited. While we were shopping at a Jeep dealership, my Ford was hit in the parking lot. I was furious. The dealership said they would have my car fixed. So I took it in and they gave me a loaner....a Hyundai. Thank goodness I only had it 3 days the transmission was slipping and it was only a 2016. 

Hyundai's are really inconsistent.  My brother has a Sonata that has had multiple issues pop up.  I could see someone getting rid of a 2016 if it kept having problem after problem.  Also with the newer cars, the manufacturers have made it almost impossible to work on it yourself.  The Rods' probably cannot afford to have the car in the dealership everytime the computer has an error.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Also, since the car g(r)ifted to Jill has a value of more than $12,000, she should report it on her taxes. Should we take bets on whether or not that happens? 

Not to mention, insurance. I wonder if Nurie's accident is going to hit the Rods' insurance premiums. She's a teenager who caused a single car rollover that totaled the vehicle and injured herself and her sister. She may not get cited by the cops for it, and they may not have filed a claim with the company, but I wouldn't be surprised if their insurance company finds out about it somehow.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Because you have a conscience and self respect. You're good people. (ETA: you too @lascuba)

Also, since the car g(r)ifted to Jill has a value of more than $12,000, she should report it on her taxes. Should we take bets on whether or not that happens? 

No taxes will be paid because they will write this up as a donation to their 'ministry.'  The 2,800 mile trip to drop Tim off at college will also be billed as a 'ministry' trip because they are stopping at churches along the way for free food.  This is the way these people live.

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Not to mention, insurance. I wonder if Nurie's accident is going to hit the Rods' insurance premiums. She's a teenager who caused a single car rollover that totaled the vehicle and injured herself and her sister. She may not get cited by the cops for it, and they may not have filed a claim with the company, but I wouldn't be surprised if their insurance company finds out about it somehow.

I bet the Rod's will not even bother to update their car insurance package.  This is a much newer car than their clunker and will cost much more to insure, if they bother.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 minutes ago, louannems said:

I bet the Rod's will not even bother to update their car insurance package.  This is a much newer car than their clunker and will cost much more to insure, if they bother.

They would at least have to add the new car. I think you have to identify your vehicles even if you only buy the required liability/collision and not comprehensive. Of course, I could be wrong and insurance details vary from state to state. The snarker in me hopes their insurance company finds out about this wreck even if the Rods don't disclose it. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6

About the Expensive instruments that were destroyed in the water, Jill posted 2 replies under 2 different comments that they were just fine.  I'm sure she knew this before making her GoToMeFund.

• Love 8

Ya know, I ranted upthread about "grifting for Jesus."

I'm afraid I didn't  make clear that I don't mean that anyone who goes into the ministry is a grifter.

Many truly good folks devote their lives to the service of God as ministers, meaning that they subject themselves to the discipline of getting an education in some kind of seminary or theological school, of working with others in their denomination, etc. In other words, they aren't out there making it up as they go along, and unless they're just hopeless narcissists, they know that it's Not About Them. (I suppose the traditional ministry - persons ordained and working within a church structure - has its share of narcissists, but they'd have to be able to function within an organization well enough to succeed in it.)

I can't see personalities like Jill R. lasting a fast minute in any church requiring self-discipline and working well with others and not being The Star Of It All.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think Jill is just savvy enough to have noticed that it's the older girls of the Duggar family that get the media's attention. And paid public appearances. And book deals. Jill so blatantly desires that kind of celebrity for herself and the kids that she does everything she thinks the public will go for. 

To be fair, certain lipsticks and make up in general have remarkable staying power. Just a couple of months ago someone posted a picture of herself strapped to a gurney just like Nurie. Most of her makeup was a mess but her eye-liner was still flawless, and she posted that picture as part of her review for that eyeliner. 

That is some crazy staying power!  Do you remember what kind it was?  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, EVS said:

Someone needs to explain the difference between a “want” and a “need” to this narcissistic grifter. I’ll give it a try:

Jill, your children all NEED adequate nourishment.

Nurie and Kaylee will NEED therapy from a Doctor trained to deal with PTSD in order to get over the trauma of this accident. Unfortunately, I know this from experience as my own child had a serious car accident at the same age .

Nurie and Kaylee NEED a mother who is more concerned about their welfare than trying to figure out how to take advantage of their trauma.

You do not NEED a tow package for your new car, you WANT one. Therefore, you and your husband should work and pay for one, but only after your children’s NEEDS are met.

Also, God did not “provide” a new car for you. Some kind-hearted person provided it. Have you ever heard the expression, “God helps those who help themselves”?

I think all Jill heard is the quote that starts with "give a man a fish."  She didn't hear the part about teaching them to fish.

Does GoFundMe have any rules about multiple campaigns?  Doesn't Jill have one for Nurie's accident, one for Tim's schooling, and possibly another one?  Seems like that's enough to get them closed down.

• Love 8

What really makes me angry with Jill and her latest grift, is the family's aversion to working to support themselves and their elevated standard of living.  I know this is my Catholic upbringing, but I grew up around nuns and priests who have taken vows of poverty.  They may ask for donations but only for the basic necessities of life.  They also contribute to society.  They try to make their community a better place.  Printing off bible tracks may save souls, but it doesn't fill the belly.  What use is it to save someone from hell after death when they are living it right now.  There are enough hours in a week for David, Tim and Nurie to work outside the home to pay for their necessities and for them to evangelize.  There are enough professions out there that can be a calling.  Shit, I'm working one right now.  Everyday I am helping people in need.  And I make enough money to support myself. 

Also, If you feel that Jesus does not want you to work and you must devote every waking hour to serving him, then you need to temper your expectations.  Hairspray, makeup, musical instruments, etc are not in the budget.  Why do they need multiple cars when no one holds down a paying job? 

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

What really makes me angry with Jill and her latest grift, is the family's aversion to working to support themselves and their elevated standard of living.  I know this is my Catholic upbringing, but I grew up around nuns and priests who have taken vows of poverty.  They may ask for donations but only for the basic necessities of life.  They also contribute to society.  They try to make their community a better place.  Printing off bible tracks may save souls, but it doesn't fill the belly.  What use is it to save someone from hell after death when they are living it right now.  There are enough hours in a week for David, Tim and Nurie to work outside the home to pay for their necessities and for them to evangelize.  There are enough professions out there that can be a calling.  Shit, I'm working one right now.  Everyday I am helping people in need.  And I make enough money to support myself. 

Also, If you feel that Jesus does not want you to work and you must devote every waking hour to serving him, then you need to temper your expectations.  Hairspray, makeup, musical instruments, etc are not in the budget.  Why do they need multiple cars when no one holds down a paying job? 

I find what they are doing disgusting.  They take advantage of people and it isn't just for needs it is for wants.  I have seen post after post of actual working people who have less than these folks do yet they aren't begging for things.  They can all walk, they seem to be of normal intelligence (yet I am sure barely educated), seem to be able bodied yet none of them are willing to support themselves.  I want them busted, the parents humiliated (yes, that is harsh), and people to stop giving them anything.  These freeloaders need to buck up, care/feed/provide for the kids they brought into this world.  I prefer to help those that have tried to help themselves and need a little extra help not those that cannot afford a family vacay across the country for 15.  Fuck them.

1 minute ago, AbbyAdams said:

Kat Von D is a creep, though. She's anti-Semitic as well as an anti-vaxxer. I wouldn't buy her stuff.

Not surprising.  Thank you for the info!

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

This is not exactly true of the Catholic church. As a Catholic, I've known a lot of priests and nuns and they are good people, but not what I consider living "in poverty".  Most of the priests/nuns have some nice things, for example clothes, or cars, etc. The Catholic church does some good in the world and the Church has done  some things that were not good. (I don't want to get too off-topic, so let's leave it there.) 

I wish she would put the money into taking Kaylee to see a plastic surgeon. I hope her face heals. It looks painful. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

This is not exactly true of the Catholic church. As a Catholic, I've known a lot of priests and nuns and they are good people, but not what I consider living "in poverty".  Most of the priests/nuns have some nice things, for example clothes, or cars, etc. The Catholic church does some good in the world and the Church has done  some things that were not good. (I don't want to get too off-topic, so let's leave it there.) 

I wish she would put the money into taking Kaylee to see a plastic surgeon. I hope her face heals. It looks painful. 

I am aware that not all priests take a vow of poverty,  but the ones I grew up with did.  It depends on the order or if they are diocesan priests.   I have always attended liberal parishes who believed in Catholic Social Teaching.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mollie said:

So let's just recap Jill's fundraising efforts.  Nurie's accident was on Thursday.  On Friday at 7:00 p.m., Nurie posts her video on Facebook asking for money and sets up the GoFundMe page.  The very next morning, before a single donation was made on GoFundMe, Jill gets a free car from a friend.  Jill does not disclose this information, does not remove the fundraiser page, and the GoFundMe is now a fraudulent fundraising scheme.  Jill doesn't disclose the free car on Facebook, either.  Five days pass and $2,372 is collected on GoFundMe which will never be used for the stated purpose of buying a car.  At 9:00 p.m. last night (her time zone), Jill posts a video shot during daylight, much earlier in the day.  In that video she discloses that she was given a two-year-old car on Saturday and would use the funds collected by donations to purchase the most expensive towing package for the car that money can buy.  Just four hours ago, Nurie posted an update to the GoFundMe stating that she would leave the donation page up for three more days.

Jill, your behavior is despicable. 

Counting On 2.png

STOP IT!!  YOU'RE SCARING ME!

• Love 6

There are currently 5 recalls for the 2016 Hyundai Sonata, and two of those involve the airbags.  Hopefully, those were taken care of before the transfer was done since the Rods won't take of it.  From a quick Google search, you must have current insurance in order to register a car in WV.  And you also must have liability and uninsured motorist coverages.  There are other options you can add if you choose.  It sounds like you can't get around the insurance thing-they (DMV) verify coverage electronically, so you don't need to present actual paperwork when you register the vehicle.  I can see them doing whatever they can to not pay for the required things, but it sounds like the state does a lot to ensure the safety of drivers.  

If anyone is looking for a stay-proof eyeliner, try Marc Jacobs.  It took using makeup remover, a cleansing cloth, and a Clearasil facewash to get it completely off.  

@Normades--I'm so happy to hear your son is doing well now.  

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, beckie said:

Which child is that beside her doing that delightful eye roll? That one has Jill's number for sure!

I thought Jill said in her video that it's Tessa.

Looks like Freddie Mercury

https://m.facebook.com/photos/viewer/?photoset_token=pcb.10156666460442259&photo=10156666459077259&profileid=100000742113984&source=49&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10156666460442259%3Atl_objid.10156666460442259%3Athrowback_story_fbid.10156666460442259%3Athid.534282258%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1530428399%3A-2785072243546626329&__tn__=EH-R

Edited by louannems
(edited)

I was debating whether it was Olivia or Tessie. Tessie is distinguished by having the strongest Portuguese coloring of all the kids. Olivia is slightly more fair, but it was hard to tell since the girl was in a shadow.

(Note: I am half Portuguese like the kids and wound up in the very fair end of the spectrum, including eyes. No one believes me when I tell them of my roots. I wouldn't peg Timothy for half Portuguese either.)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

An update posted on the gofundme:

19 hours ago

I am beyond excited at the MIRACULOUS way that God provided a NEW car for our family! I am SO grateful! Thank you to the DEAR lady from our church that gave it to us (who wishes to remain anonymous)! Words cannot express my gratitude!

I am still trying to raise a bit more money to make the car "tow-able" to pull behind our RV.

If you feel burdened to help me get the money we need for that, your donation would be SO appreciated! I will be closing the GOFUNDME donations down on Friday! 

Thank you again and I love and appreciate you all! 

Serving Jesus, Nurie Rodrigues

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

19 hours ago

I am beyond excited at the MIRACULOUS way that God provided a NEW car for our family! I am SO grateful! Thank you to the DEAR lady from our church that gave it to us (who wishes to remain anonymous)! Words cannot express my gratitude!

I am still trying to raise a bit more money to make the car "tow-able" to pull behind our RV.

If you feel burdened to help me get the money we need for that, your donation would be SO appreciated! I will be closing the GOFUNDME donations down on Friday! 

When I listened to that video, I was in awe of how many times Jill and Nurie said the word "burdened".  Over and over again!

No Jill, I do not feel burdened to give you money!

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

19 hours ago

I thought she was Jill D's friend and died "overseas".

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

James 2 "15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you tells him, “Go in peace; stay warm and well fed,” but does not provide for his physical needs, what good is that?"

• Love 3
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Not all orders of Catholic priests and nuns take vows of poverty. My uncle was a Franciscan Cappucine monk. He took a vow of poverty. After spending 30 years as a MISSIONARY in  the East African jungle starting a mission, he passed away in his late 70s in Italy at the monastery. The order packed up all of his personal belongings, in ONE SMALL BOX, and shipped it to the eldest brother. THAT, I tell you folks, is a vow of poverty and being a real missionary. I wonder what Derick Dillard would think of THAT?

He would think your uncle was not saved, not a christian, and was an evil catholic.

Not my opinion, while I have my own feelings about missionary work, I am in awe of people who use their lives trying to help others and make the world a better place.  Sounds like your uncle was a great man.  

Giving seems to work one way with these people, others give and they take.  I never hear of them truly giving to others.  They won't even attend events without compensation.

• Love 10
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Normades said:

He would think your uncle was not saved, not a christian, and was an evil catholic.

Not my opinion, while I have my own feelings about missionary work, I am in awe of people who use their lives trying to help others and make the world a better place.  Sounds like your uncle was a great man.  

Giving seems to work one way with these people, others give and they take.  I never hear of them truly giving to others.  They won't even attend events without compensation.

I keep trying to work out whether they honestly think that their "music" and inspirational literature/tracts/whatever they are printing up are so valuable that anything they can finagle in return is just compensation. I suppose in their minds, a car in return for avoiding an eternity in hell is a fair trade. She did say something about a donation to their go-to-me-fund could be an investment in eternity or something such-like. Of course, the people making the donations are most likely already Christian, and if they are not, the God they worship wouldn't grant salvation based on a good deed anyway.

How many souls do you think they consider they actually have a part in leading to God?

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

How many souls do you think they consider they actually have a part in leading to God?

I wonder how many people they've completely turned off by their sloth and judgement. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Normades said:

I wonder how many people they've completely turned off by their sloth and judgement. 

Oh, many! No doubt! I was just trying to figure out how they justify their lifestyle to themselves. It must take some mental acrobatics!

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, louannems said:

Jill's GoToMeFund is "up" to $2,500. Out of $20,000!

Compare that to the RAICE'S Facebook fundraiser of $1,500 and they are now past 16 MILLION!!!

You just know Jilly was hoping god would bless her with over a million.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, louannems said:

When I listened to that video, I was in awe of how many times Jill and Nurie said the word "burdened".  Over and over again!

No Jill, I do not feel burdened to give you money!

They need to realize THEY are the burden of their congregation.  I feel not one bit of burden to help them.  Wonder if the congregation is guilted into helping?  

• Love 11

This Jill R. has a real cunning way about here.  She seems have an instinct to read people and know exactly what buttons to push, to guilt them into doing what she wants.  I'm amazed that she can do that and not seem to feel in the least guilty about it.

Poor kids, having her for a mother, and a father that knows how to grift, as well.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I keep trying to work out whether they honestly think that their "music" and inspirational literature/tracts/whatever they are printing up are so valuable that anything they can finagle in return is just compensation. I suppose in their minds, a car in return for avoiding an eternity in hell is a fair trade. She did say something about a donation to their go-to-me-fund could be an investment in eternity or something such-like. Of course, the people making the donations are most likely already Christian, and if they are not, the God they worship wouldn't grant salvation based on a good deed anyway.

Pretty sure the answer is ‘yes’, and any rafts of money that come their way for doing nothing are in fact seen as signs of approbation from God.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Pretty sure the answer is ‘yes’, and any rafts of money that come their way for doing nothing are in fact seen as signs of approbation from God.

And any criticism that comes their way is satan trying to build a fortress or some other nonsense.  The deck is stacked in Jill's favor no matter what happens. 

• Love 7

This topic has forever changed the way I read "GoFundMe." Here at PTV on another reality TV show forum, there was a reference to a GFM started by someone featured there. I nearly wrote a reply saying "GoToMeFund" or one of the other variants that poor Nurie has now added to the fine heritage of this forum. But I didn't really want to go OT and 'splain myself, so I didn't, lol.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, Normades said:

WOW!  Someone who doesn't accept the status quo.  Good for her.  Keep questioning, learning, and growing.  That's what people should be doing, especially young people.  Questioning is a good way to learn and something these SODRT people don't value.  I hope she continues to grow and find her way.

Totally agree!  You have a brain for a reason - use it!  I was very impressed by her words.

• Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

This topic has forever changed the way I read "GoFundMe."

Me too.

I also think it's apt that Nuri called it a "Go To Me Fund" because that's exactly what she thinks it is. Whereas for me, "Go Fund Me" brings up images of crowd sourcing for a purpose, that's not what the Rods are using it for. To them it is quite literally a "Go To Me Fund" where they simply want things and money to go to them because "they deserve it". 

It makes the whole thing both so much more hilarious and so much worse. 

Edited by McManda
  • Love 18